• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

a2X1K.png

l7kBW.png

BdqbI.png

eihty.png

OLxwt.jpg

DIBg0.png

YNWSM.jpg

CbpFw.jpg

We've been griefed.

Either someone owns up, someone knows that did it, or I'm putting on a whitelist.

I'm gunna attempt restoring a couple of backups to see how far back this goes. I don't care how much work or effort someone loses, I've no idea how far the griefing goes.

Rapstah

So is that Modacity shit the griefer's signature?

EDIT: And what I said on the server wasn't that serious, I haven't really built anything serious today in case you're rolling back.

Ark

I've restored a backup that's ~5 hours old and the griefing is gone, this rollback is staying.

I installed datalog yesterday (works like bigbrother) but apparently said addon wasn't updated and didn't record any logs, equally so it conflicted with the general server log so I can't default to that either.

The griefing is fixed but I don't know who did it, and I haven't been able to ban anyone yet.

A white list is 110% up in the air right now/removing all rights from peasants - despite the fact that the Arkyoto griefing had to have come from a citizen, since peasants can't use lighters.

Ranger X

Ark said:
I've restored a backup that's ~5 hours old and the griefing is gone, this rollback is staying.

I installed datalog yesterday (works like bigbrother) but apparently said addon wasn't updated and didn't record any logs, equally so it conflicted with the general server log so I can't default to that either.

The griefing is fixed but I don't know who did it, and I haven't been able to ban anyone yet.

A white list is 110% up in the air right now/removing all rights from peasants - despite the fact that the Arkyoto griefing had to have come from a citizen, since peasants can't use lighters.

Do it.
I hope those plugins for detecting who does what will work too.

EVIL

ugh! its getting out of hand I agree! I'm all up for a white-list
was the wood in flames? they could have simply removed the blocks couldn't they?

Ark

EVIL said:
ugh! its getting out of hand I agree! I'm all up for a white-list
was the wood in flames? they could have simply removed the blocks couldn't they?

That's possible actually, there were no flames, I just assumed.

Roche

I saw a whole load of new people join up today in the morning all in a row, there was at least five or so and I was the only other person on. I can't remember their names and I didn't see them do anything but it is suspicious.

commissar

Well that sucks ):

Hopefully that was all of it and there isn't more damage elsewhere.

While I guess we know where to find them, I wouldn't recommend going there.
As I recall it's easy to get ip addresses from IRC channels and while these guys don't seem particularly smart, you never know if they would have some scriptkiddy stuff waiting for a connection.

Hopefully the output of the action tracking is nice and readable in case of future issues.

Rapstah

Roche178 said:
I saw a whole load of new people join up today in the morning all in a row, there was at least five or so and I was the only other person on. I can't remember their names and I didn't see them do anything but it is suspicious.
Does any name in this thread ring any bells?

EVIL

Its a difficult situation.

you want to have the freedom as a peasant to prove yourself, but not to destroy. Is there a way to put up safezones? where peasants can't remove or add blocks? so they can prove themselves in the wilderness, and once they are civis they can build a home in one of the safezones.

Roche

Rapstah said:

Had a look through the last few pages but I didn't recognize anyone, it could have been one of them but I wasn't really paying much attention to the game at the time.

Sorry 'bout that, I didn't put two and two together to be suspicious of so many new people.

Segnit

Banned
If peasents lose rights then I'm going to have to formally beg to be a citizen.

I'd love to donate too but I have no interest using paypal, like ever. If there is an alternte way for me to pay using a card then I'd be glad to help out in that sense also.

Orlandu84

First, Ark, do whatever you have to do to stop the griefing. Decisive action now will pay dividends in the future.
Second, since I am still new to the server, I am unfamiliar with the hierarchy, i.e. peasants, citizens, etc., and how that relates to permission in general, and to the griefing in particular. I would appreciate a short explanation. Thanks.

That's the best texture pack / (UI?) I think I've seen yet Ark. I've got nothing to actually add to the conversation but having not played in months that makes me want to start back up.

Ark

What I'll do is create a new default rank that wont have permission to do anything, other than /warp and /spawn. The only way to be promoted is to PM me on GAF/post in this thread, or get a GAFfer to vouch for you in this thread/PM to me.

I'd rather not put a whitelist on.

Timan

Developer
Ark said:
What I'll do is create a new default rank that wont have permission to do anything, other than /warp and /spawn. The only way to be promoted is to PM me on GAF/post in this thread, or get a GAFfer to vouch for you in this thread/PM to me.

Yep that is really your only option. You could also post the server log on who joined in those 5 hours, and knock off the citizens/regulars.

Ark

Timan said:
Yep that is really your only option. You could also post the server log on who joined in those 5 hours, and knock off the citizens/regulars.

Like I said before, there is no log because datalog broke. I fixed the log issue now though.

bengraven

Ark said:

I would rather you didn't put on a whitelist. I think lessening that restriction has helped it grow.

We've all been fairly mature and respective until this moment and I would rather not see a random visitor ruin that.

Besides, it's probably a banned GAFfer who came in on their alt account to get the server name.

Fuck, I suddenly wonder how far he went and if my place got touched.

Rapstah

Ark said:

Will all current Citizens be moved down to this new rank when it's implemented, if we're still assuming that the griefer could have been a Citizen rank?

bengraven

mcrae said:
looking back towards arkyoto, south-east i believe
mtj6E.jpg

Oh so you're my neighbor! I'm the little white buildings on the left.

I regularly cull that large orchard between us and replant, I hope I'm not destroying any aesthetic you might have. If so let me know, I'll just make a private orchard somewhere.

Mik2121

Damn, so apparently Arkyoto was griefed... such a bunch of shitheads.

Anyway, I guess whitelisting or at least having a new rank that lets you do nothing but walk around is a good idea.

Ark

Rapstah said:
Will all current Citizens be moved down to this new rank when it's implemented, if we're still assuming that the griefer could have been a Citizen rank?

I'm safely assuming that they were peasant rank. So no, citizens will not be moved down a rank.

Xun

Ark said:

That'll work.

Maddness

Rapstah said:

I could've sworn I've seen that guy "serverlag" on our server.

I might just be retarded though.

Also, Unrelated, Ark what pack are you using? that shit is the bomb diggity.

I want to see what my giant secret caverns will look like with it :D

mcrae

bengraven said:
Oh so you're my neighbor! I'm the little white buildings on the left.

I regularly cull that large orchard between us and replant, I hope I'm not destroying any aesthetic you might have. If so let me know, I'll just make a private orchard somewhere.

i like the look of trees, so as long as you're replanting its all good

also ark can i get re-upgraded to citizen please, same in game name

Ark

vas_a_morir said:
Actually, Ark can check and see if any of those names logged on at any time.... wait, can you?

Datalog plugin broke, conflicted with normal server log. No server log. Datalog removed, server log now works.

Mcrae I'll add you back in later, for anyone asking, the texture pack I use is 'Sphex PureBDCraft'.

bengraven

AQ5E9.jpg

The house from the front. Building a bigger main building in the back, but I like my little garden in front. The back will be garden as well.

Never get rid of flying on the server, I'm already addicted to it. ha

Also we have a kind of shady new character around.

Nvm, not "shady", just young and dumb.

Mikor

Hey Minecraft-GAF,

So Exano and I have released a Minecraft Pocket Companion for Android devices. Right now it only consists of an item index sorted by Item ID# or Alphabetically, and a nicely laid out crafting guide that is simple and easy to navigate.

We want to continue to add information and features to the app, and are in the process of getting in touch with the major mod makers in the community to see if they'd like to have us add their mod-relevant information to the Free app. We're also putting together a series of in-game tutorials to help show new players the ropes of things like Minecart setups and Redstone wiring techniques.

What I'd like to know from GAF is, what features/information would you guys want to have available in a Minecraft companion mobile app? We're going to do our best to implement as many of the communities' ideas as possible, as long as its within our technical ability to do so.

DISCLAIMER: There is a Free and Paid version of this app. We will always add informational and instructional content to the Free version, regardless. Any "fluff" features we add will likely be for the Paid version, only, however.

If any GAFfers would like a link to the app, PM me, as the intention of this post is to get useful ideas from the community, not to solicit downloads.

Is the info for the server in the second post still correct? I haven't played in forever and was thinking about popping back into a multiplayer server for a bit for some fun.

SteveWinwood said:
Is the info for the server in the second post still correct? I haven't played in forever and was thinking about popping back into a multiplayer server for a bit for some fun.
i'm not sure if it is either. I just bought the game yesterday and tried connecting to the survival server but it wont let me. However I can connect to the creative server

Concept17

I'm considering buying Minecraft.

I've been playing Terraria since release and have absolutely loved it, but building things in 2d kind of grows old after awhile. On top of that there really isn't anything I haven't done in the game. So I have a couple questions for some of you guys...

Does Minecraft become really easy fairly quickly? As in you have good enough items fairly quickly to deal with most monsters, or is their a nice difficulty curve for awhile? I like a challenge and love the idea of having to worry about staying in shelter at night, etc...

Are there any must-have texture mods or any other kind of mods I should install?

I have two other friends that would likely roam around and build with me, how viable is this?

Do you spend more time mining, or actually building stuff?

Thanks in advance.

bengraven

f7JPU.jpg

Finally finished the backyard. I just simply dove into it, the fastest I've ever worked, but I like it. I wish there more types of exotic plants. :/ I still need to make the back dojo match the other buildings, but I'm taking a break. lol

Anyway, come check my place out, tentatively titled "Forest of Ghosts" right across from Vas and Jeffstewart's houses in the valley behind Arkyoto!

Drazgul

Concept17 said:
I'm considering buying Minecraft.

I've been playing Terraria since release and have absolutely loved it, but building things in 2d kind of grows old after awhile. On top of that there really isn't anything I haven't done in the game. So I have a couple questions for some of you guys...

Does Minecraft become really easy fairly quickly? As in you have good enough items fairly quickly to deal with most monsters, or is their a nice difficulty curve for awhile? I like a challenge and love the idea of having to worry about staying in shelter at night, etc...

Are there any must-have texture mods or any other kind of mods I should install?

I have two other friends that would likely roam around and build with me, how viable is this?

Thanks in advance.

Building is much more fun in MC; the third dimension is a huge plus compared to Terraria's more restricted 2D. It's not as much of a progression game as Terraria tho; if you're a decent gamer, none of the monsters present a real challenge after a while. Nor is there much item progression, especially since all armor is equal when you craft them - better tiers just decay slower (and as the armor degrades, so does the effectiveness of its protection).

There's plenty of mods tho which address both of these issues tho, Mo Creatures for example adds a lot of new mob types. The best thing to do - as always with mods - is go to the minecraft forums and read up. I personally for example really like the Millenaire (adds NPC villages you can help grow by providing them materials, and they'll build new houses) and Industrial Craft (adds LOADS of new recipes and items, but it also moves the game from its vanilla medieval-y era into the industrial age, which many feels doesn't fit into the game. I say that any mod that adds nuclear reactors which can explode fits into any game) mods, but no one knows better what you like than you yourself.

Sciz

Concept17 said:
The challenge lies not so much in the killing as it does in not getting ambushed. Having five creepers coming straight for you can be handled, given enough finesse, no matter what your gear is. What's more likely to get you killed is one creeper dropping onto your head, or arrows raining down on you from a direction you hadn't looked in yet. A good sword will improve your odds in a straight fight tremendously and a suit of armor is always advisable, but it's much more of a survival game than Terraria's constant action.

Unless you intentionally go around picking fights at night, which is entertaining in its own right.

Concept17 said:
That's what Minecraft is, more than anything else.

Concept17 said:
Depends on what you find you prefer, and what sort of building materials you want to work with, and how much time you put into planning and tweaking your designs. Material gathering will likely take more of your time, in general.

bengraven

The best part about MC and difficulty is, at any moment you can lose everything. You can get hit far from spawn and have to run back to your gear, completely naked, then realize it's gone forever. You can build a massive castle...out of wood...and light your netherrack wrong.

You literally will be huddled in a dirt or wood shelter for the first couple nights as you hear the monsters moaning all around you, with no hope, no friends (unless you're on multiplayer), and just patiently waiting for your savior the sun to rise. Then eventually you'll have a huge castle with multiple doors, maybe you'll build a few traps...and you'll be free...

...until you stumble down the wrong path in your massive mine and your world gets turned upside down.

And yeah, you can do whatever the hell you want. Want to explore, go check the place out. Want to build a castle out of cobblestone? Mine some shallow cobblestone. Want some iron to make better gear? Find a mine and be careful. Dig deeper and yo'ull find gold and eventually diamonds.

bengraven

I've been vocal about supporting nothing that's less than 128p and have been using that size packs for months now.

But lately something came over me and I started using the default textures while building my last house. I didn't want to change, so I just switched to painterly, which is what I'm using in the pictures listed above.

And suddenly I'm happy with it.

Ark

grieferlog1ves3.png

grieferlog2cdo6.png

grieferlog3wfw3.png

You reading this? Cool. I'm just saiyan.

For future reference, you should probably learn how to spell 'faggot'.

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:
I've been vocal about supporting nothing that's less than 128p and have been using that size packs for months now.

But lately something came over me and I started using the default textures while building my last house. I didn't want to change, so I just switched to painterly, which is what I'm using in the pictures listed above.

And suddenly I'm happy with it.
It's been similar for me so far. I used to only use default. I would preach that it was the perfect texture pack once you changed a few of the blocks (like glass). But for months now I have used a 128x pack that I really like. Just for kicks, I throw default back on sometimes, and I can't believe how crappy things look at first. I could get used to it again but it's so hard to go back to 16x for me now.

Ocho

Ark said:
You reading this? Cool. I'm just saiyan.

For future reference, you should probably learn how to spell 'faggot'.

I approve a sub-peasant tag, perhaps called "Visitor" or somsuch.

Why would they even boast about their deeds when they have been erased from the face of existance and we're back to smiles and giggles?

Ark

ochobit said:
I approve a sub-peasant tag, perhaps called "Visitor" or somsuch.

Why would they even boast about their deeds when they have been erased from the face of existance and we're back to smiles and giggles?

Because they're leet hackzorz. Duh.

MrBig

Grinchy said:
That looked great there. I've used their pack a while ago and found it really damn ugly, but it didn't have the DoF effects or whatever is going on in that video. The problem I have with most HD packs is that everything looks like shit from far away. Not JustforCraft though, that's a pack I could have intimate relations with.
Yeah, I've yet to try out a anything but the default since I'm only on the trial, but that DoF effect looks really nice.

Top Bottom