• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Vlad

Concept17 said:
I'm considering buying Minecraft.

I've been playing Terraria since release and have absolutely loved it, but building things in 2d kind of grows old after awhile. On top of that there really isn't anything I haven't done in the game. So I have a couple questions for some of you guys...

Personally, I've found Minecraft to be WAY more addictive than Terraria. I bought Terraria during the recent Steam summer sale, and I'm already bored with it. Personally, I've got no desire to build in that game, and once I got all the weapons and armor, I found I just didn't want to play any more. If they ever add a bunch of harder bosses or enemies, I'll go back, but for now, I'm done with the game.

Compare that to Minecraft, where for the almost the last whole year, it's been the only game I've played. Sure, there is a lot less variety in monsters, weapons, items, and blocks, but it's just more satisfying to play. Building in 3d is way more satisfying to me, and there's the advanced stuff like redstone (I'm on a huge piston kick at the moment).

Does Minecraft become really easy fairly quickly? As in you have good enough items fairly quickly to deal with most monsters, or is their a nice difficulty curve for awhile? I like a challenge and love the idea of having to worry about staying in shelter at night, etc...

For me, Minecraft is still sometimes difficult. Even if you're fully decked out in full armor, and weapons, being out at night is still pretty dangerous. Unlike Terraria, it's really hard to see at night, so you won't see enemies other than spiders (their eyes glow red) until they're right on top of you. Also, since it's in 3d, you've got a lot more places enemies can come from. You can't just swing your sword and run forward, since monsters can come from your sides or behind you.

And yeah, if you love having to cower inside at night, you'll love Minecraft.

The actual thing with the difficulty in Minecraft is that even once you get "good" at it, your own worst enemy tends to be your own complacency. Most of the time, when I die, it's because I got overconfident and did something stupid like get too close to a lava pit, or get zoned out while mining and get buried in falling gravel.

On top of that, death is a lot harsher in Minecraft than it is in Terraria. In Minecraft, you drop everything in your personal inventory when you die, and it disappears after a few minutes. So, on respawn, you first have to hope and pray that it's daylight so that you can safely run to where you died, but you have to actually FIND where you died. If you die in a cave (which will happen regularly), it's possible that you'll have been so deep that you simply won't be able to remember exactly where it was that you fell. The cave systems in Minecraft can be very deep and twisty, and even when exploring them you have to be careful to be able to find your way back to the surface without just burrowing back out.

Are there any must-have texture mods or any other kind of mods I should install?

Eh, when just starting out I'd recommend just going with vanilla everything. There's a ton of texture packs out there, and that really boils down to personal preference. Just browse around the texture pack section on the Minecraft forums and see what looks good to you.

As far as mods go, I'm personally a fan of BuildCraft and Better Than Wolves, but again, I'd recommend putting in a few (hundred) hours into the main game first.

I have two other friends that would likely roam around and build with me, how viable is this?

Very. You could just set up your own server if you want, or join us on Ark's server. Another nice thing about Minecraft compared to Terraria is that there's always somewhere open to build. The world generates as people explore it, so there isn't really an "end" to it.

Do you spend more time mining, or actually building stuff?

Well, that depends on what you're trying to do/get. You need to do some mining and poking around underground if you want the good stuff for armor and weapons, but it also depends on what you want to build out of. Want to make a huge stone castle? Then you'll probably end up making a quarry. However, if you're going for wood buildings, then you'll most likely end up starting a tree farm.

Thing is, if you just end up running your own server for you and your friends and you REALLY don't feel like mining stuff, then you can just spawn things via text commands.

Still, building in the game is far more satisfying when you mine the stuff yourself.

Concept17

Appreciate all the answers guys. :)

This definitely sounds like a perfect replacement for me. Its just a matter of getting my other two friends on board. Will likely get it this weekend. Will check out your guys' server at some point I'm sure.

Red

Was playing on a friend's server a little while ago, and he'd been complaining that all his trees had been farmed and too few planted. I went off to search for more on different islands, but kept coming up with nothing. Lots of clay and sand, but hardly any wood. A couple trees here and there but nothing sustainable. So I kept looking. Three in game days passed, and I saw a huge mountain range in the distance, spanning a huge distance lengthways so I couldn't see the other side. But there were a few trees sticking out at the top, that much I could tell. I didn't have much time left to play, but I decided to climb it to see what was beyond. This is what I found:

Valygar

My house in a corner of Arkyoto. It's a small place, but I managed to do everything I wanted to, so I'm happy. The whole house is on top of pillars of wood.

fxh2e9.png

The house next to me was abandoned like 3-4 days ago. I hope it gets finished someday, it's only the main structure with wood right now and it's ugly.

bengraven

I'm probably going to take a breather for the next few days. I spent 3 hours, not talking to anyone, not doing anything but working on my Arkyoto house while my son napped and I may have burned myself out. haha I really enjoy how it looks though...far from original plan, but it works.

Then phase 2 will continue later where I destroy more of the mountain behind my house to finish my pond.

Also: I like Terraria, I like what they're doing, but two things hinder me from putting more hours into it (I've put in like 6 hours since launch): 1) mining isn't fun at all - I hate the fact that your character is 3x2, I don't like how slow it goes. I have yet to dig really deep and find anything useful and 2) I don't find building that much fun in 2D. I like their addition of functional furniture and NPCs, but buildings in Minecraft are much better.

Also: the trolls; don't feed the trolls, that's what they want. Every time you post "I'll slice off their fucking balls" you're just making them giggle.

Heres some screens of Norse/Viking area Rukongai and myself are working on.

Ruk's tree.

SJb0a.png

The village/hall

First, the hall undercontruction.

oFhio.png

0hzkH.png

Completed.

lwhP8.jpg

inside
jDl1j.png

Front gate.
4UtOP.png

Small airship
fZdBz.png

Bridges and Burial chamber entrance(side of mountain).
hpcCX.jpg

Rapstah

Sweet-looking Norse stuff there. The way to go is probably to design these places around not being too dense. Something that should be dense but is not because it takes too much work, like parts of Exano's Rome, looks bad.

Souplak

Rabbit Lord said:
Heres some screens of Norse/Viking area Rukongai and myself are working on.

Ruk's tree.

The village/hall

First, the hall undercontruction.

Completed.

inside

Front gate.

Small airship

Bridges and Burial chamber entrance(side of mountain).

Stuff like this make everything I build seem like crap :p

mcrae

Ark said:
Lame as in it stops people ninja-griefing the server? Sure.

I've already added you as a citizen.
Not that it exists, just that it was my rank when I posted that last reply. Thanks for the upgrade

Mikor

Just wanted to share some exciting news about our mobile reference app, Minecraft Pocket Companion.

We've just received explicit permission from DrZhark and Kinniken to include their Mo's Creatures and Millenaire mods within our application. The next update to release will contain relevant information for their mods, plus whichever of the other mod authors I've reached out to.

Are there any specific mods/3rd party MC content GAF would want to be able to quickly look up installation and usage information for? I want to make sure I reach out to as many of the authors as possible.

Roche

Mikor said:
Just wanted to share some exciting news about our mobile reference app, Minecraft Pocket Companion.

We've just received explicit permission from DrZhark and Kinniken to include their Mo's Creatures and Millenaire mods within our application. The next update to release will contain relevant information for their mods, plus whichever of the other mod authors I've reached out to.

Are there any specific mods/3rd party MC content GAF would want to be able to quickly look up installation and usage information for? I want to make sure I reach out to as many of the authors as possible.

You should look up the Yogbox creators they've got a pretty complicated mod compilation there, would be nice to have a guide.

Mikor

Roche178 said:
You should look up the Yogbox creators they've got a pretty complicated mod compilation there, would be nice to have a guide.

Thanks, Roche, I'll reach out to them once we've gotten the other mods coded in. As a side note, Better Than Wolves has given us their OK as well, so we'll have coverage of that as well.

The tree, the airship, the hall - it's all amazing! You guys really know how to get the best from this game @_@

My current SP project I want to start is a replica of Neuschwanstein castle with a medieval village nearby, I just feel daunted at the size of the project so I've been procrastinating. Also need to find a piece of elevated land wide/long enough for the whole castle.

Haden

Banned
Hey guys me and my cousin both own a copy of minecraft, is it possible for us to set up a server just for us two to make stuff in and then go back to?

I just set up a server for me and a few IRL friends to screw around on. One question though, how can I set up the features that neocraft has? Is there a mod for that? I'm talking about the commands like /warp and /tpa and /home.

Jasoco

Banned
Haden said:
Hey guys me and my cousin both own a copy of minecraft, is it possible for us to set up a server just for us two to make stuff in and then go back to?
You will need a computer connected to the internet that will be on at all times, or at least when you two want to play.

As was said, you would download the Server app. You can run it on the same computer you play on I believe if you don't have a spare dedicated one.

There's a lot of port forwarding though you'd need to do to your router to get the specified port redirecting to that machine. Basically it would be EXTERNAL_IP:pORT -> MACHINE_IP:pORT and you would connect via the IP address of your server's internet. (Easy to figure out by Googling "What is my IP address?" and clicking the first obvious link that shows up as soon as you type "what is".

You can set up all the server settings or leave it vanilla. Decide whether or not to have enemies and what difficulty to be. Use the commands. Make yourselves admins so you can control the time whenever it becomes night. All that good stuff. You can even use a World you made yourself, or select a seed to use. You can even shut off the server, run the world in single player to edit it and replace it back in the server to use if you needed to. Install Mods if you are so inclined.

It's easier than it sounds. The hard part is just redirecting the IP. You'd have to log into your router to do that one though.

Grinchy

Banned
Ark said:
I seem to have lost all inspiration for Minecraft again, I just have no idea what to build T_T
I think we all know the feeling. I don't build anywhere near as much stuff as I used to (in general, not just your server). You build a ton of major stuff, so I am not shocked to hear you saying this.

I go through weird gaming phases anyway. I might play nothing but Minecraft for a week, then play nothing but Team Fortress 2, then I go for a while playing like 3 RPGs at once. I'm all over the place.

Orlandu84

Grinchy said:
I think we all know the feeling. I don't build anywhere near as much stuff as I used to (in general, not just your server). You build a ton of major stuff, so I am not shocked to hear you saying this.

I go through weird gaming phases anyway. I might play nothing but Minecraft for a week, then play nothing but Team Fortress 2, then I go for a while playing like 3 RPGs at once. I'm all over the place.

Not quite as all over the place as you are, but I am bouncing around. Minecraft, then BFBC2, then some Fallout: New Vegas. These three are in turn interrupted by The Witcher 2. But I digress.

Ark said:
I seem to have lost all inspiration for Minecraft again, I just have no idea what to build T_T

Have you tried doing the inverse of something that you already did? Not the opposite per se, but taking one aspect of a project and doing it completely differently? Just a thought.

Ark

Orlandu84 said:
Have you tried doing the inverse of something that you already did? Not the opposite per se, but taking one aspect of a project and doing it completely differently? Just a thought.

Hmm that's an interesting idea, not sure what I could 'inverse' though.

Grinchy said:

Yeah I like building big stuff, there's something very satisfying about seeing a complete building that took you 16+ hours to make.

When it comes to game skipping, I pretty much alternate between Minecraft, iRacing and GT5.

Gaming4Lyfe

Neo Member
I have a interest in playing this game, but never found time for it.

But it seems like a lot of people are into this game which is kind of a shock to me.

Ark

Grinchy said:
I'm surprised you haven't tried Terraria yet. It may or may not be $5 atm.

Terraria really doesn't look all that appealing to me. For me, Minecraft is all about building stuff.

Timan said:
Ark... build some halo inspired builds :p

You know, I have just had a couple of ideas so I'll definitely check out some Halo architecture too.

Jasoco

Banned
They seriously need to create a one block T Flip-Flop switch. All the designs for them take up way too much damn space.

rezuth

Mikor said:
Hey Minecraft-GAF,

So Exano and I have released a Minecraft Pocket Companion for Android devices. Right now it only consists of an item index sorted by Item ID# or Alphabetically, and a nicely laid out crafting guide that is simple and easy to navigate.

We want to continue to add information and features to the app, and are in the process of getting in touch with the major mod makers in the community to see if they'd like to have us add their mod-relevant information to the Free app. We're also putting together a series of in-game tutorials to help show new players the ropes of things like Minecart setups and Redstone wiring techniques.

What I'd like to know from GAF is, what features/information would you guys want to have available in a Minecraft companion mobile app? We're going to do our best to implement as many of the communities' ideas as possible, as long as its within our technical ability to do so.

DISCLAIMER: There is a Free and Paid version of this app. We will always add informational and instructional content to the Free version, regardless. Any "fluff" features we add will likely be for the Paid version, only, however.

If any GAFfers would like a link to the app, PM me, as the intention of this post is to get useful ideas from the community, not to solicit downloads.

Seems really nice, I like it thus far. I'm eager to see in which direction you'll take it and also hope that you'll support other platforms in the future ;) Can't wait for it to be fleshed out.

Top Bottom