• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

EVIL

ArtistDude88 said:
*looks at NeoCRAFT's map*

Holy crap someone did some exploring :U

Sorry that'd be me ^^ (liz)
I never walk with the map so I tend to not notice I'm making new bits of map :p
*super intense grovel* sowwwyyy ><

Concept17

Just bought the game for a friend and myself. If we wanted our own world to build together on, what is the best route for doing so? Is it feasible to run a server myself?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Concept17 said:
Just bought the game for a friend and myself. If we wanted our own world to build together on, what is the best route for doing so? Is it feasible to run a server myself?

Acullis said:
It is, I don't have time to explain it exactly but:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server

I believe that's still accurate. If it's not or anyone would like to provide a more in depth explanation, please do so.

Someone just asked that recently, turns out.

Also, I bought it, you bastards, damn you all to hell. (I probably won't do multiplayer for a while, the exploration and collection of resources is more fun to me right now. I finally found redstone! And diamonds!)

Ranger X

Charron said:
Someone just asked that recently, turns out.

Also, I bought it, you bastards, damn you all to hell. (I probably won't do multiplayer for a while, the exploration and collection of resources is more fun to me right now. I finally found redstone! And diamonds!)

Don't mistaken yourself about the multiplayer consisting mostly of building. For some people it is but not everybody. I have way more hours on Neocraft spelunking and collecting ressources, exploring, etc. than anything else really.

Orlandu84

Charron said:

The great thing about minecraft, single and multiplayer, is that the game allows you to do what you want. It is a very broad game in that sense. I am glad I started playing on a multiplayer server because it has given me new ideas of not only how to build but also new ways of playing the game.

Jasoco

Banned
So PAX is August 26-28th, right? Cannot wait to see what they have in store for us in 1.8. I look forward to all the video interviews from the show. I wonder if they'll seed a beta to select people for testing or just keep it internal? Seems an update this big should have some outsiders testing it.

Ark

1.8 is going to hit as soon as college starts again *sigh*

Just means my castle will have to wait until then.

tangmaster96 said:
well...
i'm going to miss minecraft therefore i have no money to buy it

What the hell - I've got a spare gift code kicking around that you can have if you like. It's shitty not being able to afford a game you want to play - I know the feeling well - so sling me a PM if you're still interested :)

Ranger X

Well, Notch clearly said that the "release" doesn't mean the end of the updates. He will totally continue to add stuff. It's just that at some point he had to consider the game "final".

HenryHSH

bengraven said:
Probably and where have you been lately anyway?

Heard about 1.8 and lost interest in Minecraft's current form. I'm hoping I log on the server and be amazed by the new things built, kinda like the first time I logged on.

mcrae

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So now that my free until the 14th is up I guess I'll have to wait until October when I have some spare money to buy the game and continue on.
i would hate to live on the kind of budget tha doesnt allow $10 for a game purchase over two months

mcrae said:
i would hate to live on the kind of budget tha doesnt allow $10 for a game purchase over two months
That budget is called "I just got a job after being laid off last Oct, paying off past due bills, and getting my oldest registered for school". You know just life stuff.

tangmaster96 said:
Sweet just found out gold tools are better than diamond

glad i just mined a bunch of gold
I thought they broke easier then diamond, but they work faster. At least that was my thoughts when I played with a gold pickaxe.

Ranger X

Yeah diamond tools are "better". But diamond is so hard to go by that Iron tools are the best imo. Iron is easier to find and they last substancially longer than rock tools (also are faster).

masud

Banned
Hey ark can I get a promotion or something, I can't do anything now. I'm nytonm, the guy you gave the sand to that one time lol.

Alright hopefully the 14th deadline isn't up until midnight for me and I can get some time in when I get home from work. If not I'll see everyone in a few.

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
Yeah diamond tools are "better". But diamond is so hard to go by that Iron tools are the best imo. Iron is easier to find and they last substancially longer than rock tools (also are faster).
I've basically come to the same conclusion, but now I have no idea what to do with my diamonds. I feel like I shouldn't make tools, and the last time I made diamond armor I wore it out really fast.

Grinchy said:
I've basically come to the same conclusion, but now I have no idea what to do with my diamonds. I feel like I shouldn't make tools, and the last time I made diamond armor I wore it out really fast.
Build a really sweet diamond castle?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wanted to play a few minutes on the Neocraft, find I can't do anything :(

I mean, I know you don't want greffiers, but still. This is really annoying.

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Wanted to play a few minutes on the Neocraft, find I can't do anything :(

I mean, I know you don't want greffiers, but still. This is really annoying.
No offense if you've played a lot of Minecraft, but if you haven't, it's really pretty much the best system (or a playground). You either lock new people in a playground, or give them really restricted abilities, or else you will have things destroyed and giant penises everywhere. Things people take weeks to build are just too easy to deface to trust the random internet or even GAF people with. Presumably if you stick around and/or are known as a trustworthy regular you'll be able to build soon enough, or you can try a different server if you're just starting out in Minecraft.

Just my opinion -- again, no offense intended; I just think it's reasonable and almost required.

Jhriad

Ranger X said:

Depends on what you're doing. If you're working on a proper shaft mining complex then you'll get more than enough diamond to make tools, replaces losses, and form a reasonable stockpile. If you're just spelunking for materials or your doing large scale work at higher altitudes (anything above 17 and you won't find diamond while you're working) it's better to use iron tools.

Orlandu84

Jhriad said:
Depends on what you're doing. If you're working on a proper shaft mining complex then you'll get more than enough diamond to make tools, replaces losses, and form a reasonable stockpile. If you're just spelunking for materials or your doing large scale work at higher altitudes (anything above 17 and you won't find diamond while you're working) it's better to use iron tools.

Yeah, I was surprised by how often I get diamonds (and even irone for that matter) once I shifted to shaft mining for resources. It does take time, but you do end up with a pretty decent stockpile.

Jasoco

Banned
I set up a Minecraft server on my Mac mini for my brother and his girlfriend to play on with me. (I got them hooked. Muahahahaha. Those free HIB codes are like the first hit of Crack. And the sale helped even more.)

What are some good server-side mods I can easily install? I want to do all the cool stuff everyone does.

Jasoco said:
I set up a Minecraft server on my Mac mini for my brother and his girlfriend to play on with me. (I got them hooked. Muahahahaha. Those free HIB codes are like the first hit of Crack. And the sale helped even more.)

What are some good server-side mods I can easily install? I want to do all the cool stuff everyone does.

The flying mod

Xun

My next project:

(click for bigger)

I made the WDW castle on Timan's server (if anyone remembers it), but I want to better myself with this larger castle on NeoCraft.

If anyone is willing to donate any wool/gold I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm only waiting for 1.8 for the stone brick addition to the game (which I'm hoping will be relatively easy to create).

Top Bottom