• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

animlboogy said:
So this GAF server has griefing drama too? That's a big part of why I haven't re-opened ASSCRAFT. I'm too laid back to deal with that shit. When it was smaller, griefing was fine because it was fooling around between friends. Once more players got involved, it had to be zero tolerance, because good people had good work ruined.

I'm still kind of shocked that GAF so consistently has griefing on servers.

In all honesty, this case of griefing is ... unique.

Other than this we've only had one other major griefing incident.

EDIT:

Floating Elven Harbour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS0IFwtCE_s

DiabolicalBagel said:
Shall we meet here?

imperial_city_arena_minecraft_by_sir_beret-d41xlls.png

Oh wow. I've gotta get my hands on the blueprints for those towers, they look fantastic.

mcrae

Mikor said:
So, some updates from us relating to Minecraft!

Firstly, Exano has reopened the Civil Wars server - now that Spout is available, we can run this the way we needed to from the start. I encourage anyone who wishes to join us to visit our wiki @

ccrthelp.com/civilwars

or pop in and say hello. Some of the old CW crew is back and we've brought a couple of the guys on board as staff - any of you old Civil Wars vets interested in coming by in a more administrative role are welcome. We've loosened up a lot on our restrictions to staff, and you will be able to build and participate as normal - abuse of power will simply mean a rollback on your player and removal of admin rights.

Secondly, our app, somehow, doubled its download count overnight. If any of you GAFfers are partially responsible - you have our personal thanks. Exano and I are going through a bit of a mini life-crisis right now, so to wake up this morning to seeing that put a huge smile on our face.

As always, if anyone has any feedback or suggestions they'd like to provide about the app or the server, let us know.

EDIT: Should probably note that the server address is behind the link, to avoid all of this confusion with quoting posts and all of that. Do note that this is not a GAF exclusive server, and randoms might join - but we moderate pretty heavily and ban without warning upon rules violations, so you should have a relatively peaceful and grief-free gameplay experience (as best as we can have, that is).

currently spelunking and its the biggest cave ive ever seen, i imagine due to the seed. first cave i hit. the seed is really cool too, there are monsters out during day, cause of all the overhangs, and mushrooms a-plenty

edit: i logged out to type this post, and when i logged in i was on top of the cave, approx the same area, just ~60 blocks upwards. weird...

mcrae

thought gaf would get a kick out of this photo i just took, in that cave i just posted about:

fJQFg.jpg

visible:
7 iron
4 gold
8 redstone
7 diamond

hidden:
1 gold
2 diamond
3 iron
1 redstone

Roche

Mikor said:
Secondly, our app, somehow, doubled its download count overnight. If any of you GAFfers are partially responsible - you have our personal thanks. Exano and I are going through a bit of a mini life-crisis right now, so to wake up this morning to seeing that put a huge smile on our face.

That's probably a knock on effect of Mojang releasing "Minecraft: Pocket edition" which has a very similar name, so you can send your thanks Notch and his crew for that handy boost.

And I'll be sure to drop by and see what's going down on Civil Wars sometime, many good memories from the old server.

Xun

Anyone know if rivers will make their way into 1.8?

I'm glad I'm holding out on building my castle for 1.8, it'll be epic.

Mik2121

Wichu said:
What's that ugly red and white thing? I hope those graphics are placeholders...
Oh.. those are the giant mushrooms. I don't think anyone here likes them, but for some reason Notch thinks they are fine.

And yeah, I wonder if the art guy is doing any job on Minecraft, because really.. that thing is hideous.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
Oh.. those are the giant mushrooms. I don't think anyone here likes them, but for some reason Notch thinks they are fine.

And yeah, I wonder if the art guy is doing any job on Minecraft, because really.. that thing is hideous.

I like them. They are huge and therefore squarish, just like everything in the game that isn't a sprite. Making a huge mushroom sprite would have been 10 times more uglier.
Also, on the + side, this probably gives mushroom blocks. New blocks are always awesome.

qq more

Mik2121 said:

I like the mushrooms. I want to recreate the Mushroom Kingdom lol

Mikor

Roche178 said:
That's probably a knock on effect of Mojang releasing "Minecraft: Pocket edition" which has a very similar name, so you can send your thanks Notch and his crew for that handy boost.

And I'll be sure to drop by and see what's going down on Civil Wars sometime, many good memories from the old server.

Wait until after 1.8, since we'll probably end up doing a map reset anyways.

And yeah, how about that name huh? When Exano and I saw that it was called Minecraft: Pocket Edition, we sighed a big sigh of relief knowing that we're on the Market with Mojang's permission lol

Xun

Mik2121 said:

Notch is far too stubborn and will barely change the visual style of the game at all.

It could look so much better.

I hope rivers are more complex than "river-shaped lakes." I want things like rivers starting and ending at different altitudes, from mountains to seas. If not that, at least flowing water blocks in the river to provide current.

Ranger X

EskimoJoe said:
I hope rivers are more complex than "river-shaped lakes." I want things like rivers starting and ending at different altitudes, from mountains to seas. If not that, at least flowing water blocks in the river to provide current.

Cut him some slack lol, Minecraft worlds aren't "designed", it's an algorythm that decides. And it seems like he's improving that algorythm right now.

Ranger X said:
Cut him some slack lol, Minecraft worlds aren't "designed", it's an algorythm that decides. And it seems like he's improving that algorythm right now.
I understand that but I don't think I'm asking for much. Although this is the first shot of rivers in action, I'm just saying I hope they turn out to be greater than the bare minimum. I trust he will make them very interesting features to the code (and one I've been begginf for), I just hope that they will be more than just a superficial change to the lake code.

Notch amazes me with some of the features Minecraft had. I just hope it continues. That's all.

Boy, I did a lot last night in my single player world.

I built a fully functioning boat house and dock out on the shore near my base of operations. It has a simple pair of gates with a switch inside next to a boat dispenser for when I inevitably break my boat (or so I can grab a spare before departing on my trip just in case). Mostly made of wood but the dock is stone and gray wool for padding. Next to the boat house I have a small Sugar Cane farm I plan on expanding (I need more bookcases), I also built a proper wheat farm with rows of wheat surrounded by a canal and barred off from animals with fences and automatic doors.

Besides that I spelunked even deeper into my cavern. I don't know if they're infinitely large but I haven't found an end to it yet after hours upon hours of digging. I guess I just keep breaking into connected caverns. I didn't set up any system originally to help me navigate it so I began placing Redstone Torches along the wall to make it easier to find the way out. I also have a few exits around the surrounding landscape that I discovered and marked with a tower. I JUST learned yesterday I could create a map so that's helped a TON finding my way back.

Before I quit last night I built a Portal not too far from my base. I'm hoping creatures don't spawn out of it but I'll probably dig into that soon.

Bootaaay said:
Oh wow @ CinemaCraft, that's possibly the best realistic texture pack I've seen yet (not usually a fan of the realistic look).

My favourite so far is the 128x Spahx PureBD Craft; http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/sphax-purebdcraft-46664/
Awesome, started using this Spahx PureBD texture pack yesterday and it's amazing. I'm not really a fan of the realistic style in this game and the cell-shaded art is really fitting. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ashodin

Notch just tweeted about oceans and some weird map thing. It looks like he's writing a continent generator rather than just landmass?

One thing I really hope Mojang adds to MP next patch is the ability to see a "Who's Online" kind of window when you hit TAB. Every other game uses this button for seeing scores and such... I just wanna see who's online without typing /who :p

Xun

bengraven said:
From Twitter: http://i.imgur.com/lCKwM.png

WTF is this?

Map of the world with oceans and rivers...biomes in different colors?

Or another game altogether?

FUCK YOU NOTCH TELL US.
99% sure that's Minecraft related.

He's obviously giving a clue what continents would look like with rivers, and the different colours represent different biomes.

Venfayth

bengraven said:

WTF is this?

FUCK YOU NOTCH TELL US.

These are the preceding tweets:

notch Markus Persson
But the bigger the islands are, the bigger the biomes can be. And deserts want to be big.
3 hours ago

notch Markus Persson
Trying to balance gameplay against scale is interesting. I can do HUGE oceans with HUGE islands very easily and fast now, but it plays bad.

Looks like it's just a tool for him to preview what terrain will look like

bengraven

Acullis said:
These are the preceding tweets:

Looks like it's just a tool for him to preview what terrain will look like

Yeah, explains his fractals discussion earlier too. I wonder if we can get our hands on these tools someday. I'd love to build a world before we could play it, Sim City style (if even in Atari-graphics mode).

bengraven said:

WTF is this?

FUCK YOU NOTCH TELL US.

Yeah, I think it's a simplified map of the land. Shows biomes and landmasses and such. I really like it. I've always loved minecraft's land generation algorithm, but as great as it is, when scaled over huge distances, everything just becomes homogeneous archipelagos. As much as it might be challenging, nothing sounds better to me than biomes that take at least a day to cross. I want it so if I spawn in a desert, I have to learn to live in a desert.

Ark

The prospect of a total map reset is starting to look far more sensible and attractive to me. But I'll say again, it's down to what you guys want.

Couple noob questions:

1) In Multiplayer how does the Save system work? Do you create a character and then move that character between different servers (like Terraria does it for example) or do you have one character per world?

2) I'm not sure how out-dated the information in the OPs are but I'd like to try my hand at some multiplayer Minecraft. What's the basic rundown on how it works on the NeoGAF server(s)? I'd like to jump in, find a spot in the world, and mine/build stuff (out in the wilderness) but I understand there's a system in place to prevent griefing. What's the proper method to gain the privileges necessary to do that?

bengraven

Ark said:
The prospect of a total map reset is starting to look far more sensible and attractive to me. But I'll say again, it's down to what you guys want.

I was thinking that, too, but I know we shouldn't. :(

Move spawn I guess.

Houston3000 said:
Couple noob questions:

1) In Multiplayer how does the Save system work? Do you create a character and then move that character between different servers (like Terraria does it for example) or do you have one character per world?

2) I'm not sure how out-dated the information in the OPs are but I'd like to try my hand at some multiplayer Minecraft. What's the basic rundown on how it works on the NeoGAF server(s)? I'd like to jump in, find a spot in the world, and mine/build stuff (out in the wilderness) but I understand there's a system in place to prevent griefing. What's the proper method to gain the privileges necessary to do that?

1) It's not like Terraria where you're out too much if you switch characters. On another world your character is the just fresh and new I suppose. There isn't much to lose compared to Terraria.

2) you can do all of that. you log in and ask to be a civilian, then you can build and dig. Just don't destroy houses, steal from chests (which is nearly impossible since most people mark their chests private), and just be cool.

Ark said:

I wish there was some way to take the community projects over to a new map, because there's some awesome stuff built in those places and it would be a huge shame to lose them.

bengraven

Bootaaay said:
I wish there was some way to take the community projects over to a new map, because there's some awesome stuff built in those places and it would be a huge shame to lose them.

Yeah, like maybe just make a gigantic city in the new map with each community project being a "district".

But that said, it would be nice to just be able to move everyone's creations to another world, but it's nearly impossible or too much work.

Ark

Bootaaay said:

So much on this current map could be taken over, the only problem is that a lot of it is incorporated into the surrounding landscape. Importing entire hills and landscapes makes the process even more difficult and time consuming than it already would be.

Whilst I really don't want to lose everything we've done so far (Rest assured I'll put the map up for public download so everyone can check it out) but on the plus side, everyone gets to start off on a clean sheet and at the same level.

Roche

Alternatively, we could just set up some kind of multiverse system where we could travel freely throughout both worlds.

Pimpbaa

I like to report some anti-griefing or ungriefing. Someone made my piston door to my place work better. Unfortunately they also built their place right in my front yard :/ Guess it's my own fault for making my current place kinda hidden.

Jasoco

Banned
If that's true, I am definitely starting a new world on my family server when it comes out! I've wanted real continents and rivers forever. I just hope they're fairly big sized.

1.8... PAX can't come soon enough. Hopefully all of this stuff will be shown off and a release date will be announced.

Toppot

Ark said:
I think a good option would be to install a mod to make what our current world is another nether, so we could set up a portal made of gold blocks or something, in the new 1.8 world, to transport us between the two.

Toppot said:
I think a good option would be to install a mod to make what our current world is another nether, so we could set up a portal made of gold blocks or something, in the new 1.8 world, to transport us between the two.

Yeah, if it's feasible that would be really cool - I've also seen mods for Bukkit that let you set up barriers, which would stop people pushing up the file size of the old map.

Ark

Pimpbaa said:
I like to report some anti-griefing or ungriefing. Someone made my piston door to my place work better. Unfortunately they also built their place right in my front yard :/ Guess it's my own fault for making my current place kinda hidden.

If I knew were your place was I'd check it out ;)

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, if it's feasible that would be really cool - I've also seen mods for Bukkit that let you set up barriers, which would stop people pushing up the file size of the old map.

It's totally possible with Multiverse, so I guess that's what we'll do :)

Top Bottom