• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
Eccocid said:
Yeah its a higer res texture pack 32x32 i think.

Called JohnSmith
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29164

You need to download some patcher. All you have to do is use patcher to locate where the tetxure pack is and patch it (dont unzip it). It overrides on to default texture pack.
Are you sure? On my computer at least, 32x32 pixel packs work without any mods. (Well, at least the texture image. Not sure about other images) I believe I even tested a 64x64 one.

dmshadow

Asscraft Online Adventures (animlboogy's)
A vanilla Survival server. There are no mods, and, consequently, no locked chests nor any other
anti-griefing measures. You can view the official server's blog here.

Could someone let me know the server IP

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Fucking spiders. Everyone bitches about creepers, but I think I've been killed by spiders more times than I have anything else, mostly due to the knockback. Found an amazing series of caves in my map, decided to mine around hoping for some diamonds, and found yet another huge cave. At least I was smart enough to run all the way back to my entrance to deposit all my valuable items I collected before going on, as I didn't spend more than a minute exploring the new cave when a spider dropped on me and knocked me into lava :(

zaidr

I haven't played Minecraft in a while. Does it really look this good now? The ambient occlusion is new, right? Is that in vanilla minecraft, or is that a texture / visual mod?

BooJoh

zaidr said:
I haven't played Minecraft in a while. Does it really look this good now? The ambient occlusion is new, right? Is that in vanilla minecraft, or is that a texture / visual mod?
Notch added it into the base game. You can switch it off if you want, but it really looks great imo.

Zomba13

Been playing this loads now on a friends server. We've got a few nice constructions and we're all working on a giant boat.
Been using the Wind Waker style texture pack after finding the 3D Dot Game Heroes one to be not as good as I remember (Though I did used to use a 32 one or something, not the 16 one that you have to use unless you mod).

parasight

Wow the Mo' Creatures mod is amazing. I hope Notch just adds it to the game officially so I can play it in SMP. Not likely to happen, but I can dream.

IrishNinja

holy crap, WolfofMebu - that's amazing. my wee moat is mad underwhelming. (;_;)

off to check the wiki for formulas on makin' stuff. im tried of these wal-mart wooden pickaxes breaking alla time.

ps to whoever owns the castle right behind my place - sorry i keep digging into your shit, all patched up now, honest!

i am the worst squatter neighbor

Sh1ner

I used a code generator that made a crap load of cliffs. as a project I decided to go to the very top of one cliff thats 5 minutes away from my spawn and then build a bridge across to another cliff. At night you can see it from my spawn. Looks awesome. It was a slightly lengthy bridge.

I also found a strange cave system, found a spider spawn and pretty much got destroyed. I thinking of starting a new game letting minecraft generate the map. I have dug very far down and haven't been able to find any lava. I have dug in multiple areas too in multiple directions.

elwes

dk_ said:
Just started Minecraft. Are you guys playing on easy or normal? The zombies are kind of annoying.

Zombies are the least annoying mob. 2nd most annoying sounding mob, next to spiders.

I'm clearing a ton of area in my world to add on to what we've already created. Last week my friends and I messed around with minecarts for the first time. Hilarity ensued when our subpar knowledge of minecarts met with the monstrosity that we created. Also: "Get out of that minecart pig. You are a pig, you don't even know what a minecart is."

IrishNinja

hey, so, i'd wanted to ask when Exano was on but he was too busy resettin' mah servers working on stuff: what's the etiquette here? i'm trying to not take whatever's not locked down, but there's one hut that says feel free to destroy it (?), and i found one of Exano's survival huts with an open chest, packed with torches & swords, so i grabbed one of each. i try to leave something behind when i do this, but its usually something i have on me that's less helpful like wool or sand or something.

is this cool, or am i part of the problem? reading the GAFland boards & such, i dig the sense of community on the server, just want to encourage that & not be a d-bad in the process.

ps who uses the texture pack? any good?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Can't help but feel addicted to this game when I play (photorealism mod, 256) and love the wonder of how sky is pretty much the limit to what you want to do in this game. I'm going to try and see if it's possible to do a full replica of the Spencer Estate mansion from Resident Evil 1 and make it my crib. So much fun.

randomwab

ZombieFred said:
Can't help but feel addicted to this game when I play (photorealism mod, 256) and love the wonder of how sky is pretty much the limit to what you want to do in this game. I'm going to try and see if it's possible to do a full replica of the Spencer Estate mansion from Resident Evil 1 and make it my crib. So much fun.

If you want, I've already started that very thing. Join exano's server and follow the newly created NE bridge. You'll see it in construction along the way on the right, chum.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
randomwab said:
If you want, I've already started that very thing. Join exano's server and follow the newly created NE bridge. You'll see it in construction along the way on the right, chum.

Sounds groovey but not done anything server related but single player. Do I need to downgrade in order to join the server? PM'd would be great on some quick simple instructions for this, thanks :)

randomwab

ZombieFred said:
Sounds groovey but not done anything server related but single player. Do I need to downgrade in order to join the server? PM'd would be great on some quick simple instructions for this, thanks :)

I'll talk you through it later tonight.

Eccocid

Jasoco said:
Are you sure? On my computer at least, 32x32 pixel packs work without any mods. (Well, at least the texture image. Not sure about other images) I believe I even tested a 64x64 one.

Oh i havent tried ..I am on mac maybe i nee the patcher for 32x32 packs..But from what i had seen that patcher can be used for any kind of texture pack.

IMPORTANT

There has been a leak of about 1,000 Minecraft username and passwords which are now circulating the internet. If you have an account then it would be wise to check if you're one of the unlucky few here: http://dinnerbone.com/minecraft.php and change your password to something more secure.

You can read more about the incident here: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/list-of-minecraft-account-passwords-found-in-the-wild-and-server-security-issues.8387/

The leak may be caused by some kind of client mod, so there is a potential for further compromisation in the future, although Mojang has been notified so hopefully the breach can be patched out.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Happy I'm not on that list. I don't download any program mods, just skins and texture packs.

IrishNinja said:
hey, so, i'd wanted to ask when Exano was on but he was too busy resettin' mah servers working on stuff: what's the etiquette here? i'm trying to not take whatever's not locked down, but there's one hut that says feel free to destroy it (?), and i found one of Exano's survival huts with an open chest, packed with torches & swords, so i grabbed one of each. i try to leave something behind when i do this, but its usually something i have on me that's less helpful like wool or sand or something.

is this cool, or am i part of the problem? reading the GAFland boards & such, i dig the sense of community on the server, just want to encourage that & not be a d-bad in the process.

ps who uses the texture pack? any good?

If there is a sign that say free to take, or it's something like the survival hut then it's fine to take something from the chest.

Chest you don't want to mess with would be the ones with signs saying that they belong to someone and the chest that don't have any signs.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
is anyone else super hyped for ios/android minecraft? i can't sit still at my home pc to game but portable minecraft is gonna be god-tier

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Stitch said:
no because it won't be the same

that's awfully pessimistic. in any case, i'd give up features for the ability to play the game portably/not on a computer. as it is there is no indication regarding what will be added or removed for the ios/android versions

jon bones said:
that's awfully pessimistic. in any case, i'd give up features for the ability to play the game portably/not on a computer. as it is there is no indication regarding what will be added or removed for the ios/android versions
same with me

Vinci

Danish
Small Mailman said:
Can someone explain to me all the fuss over this game? Why is it getting such rave reviews?

Try the free version. And if you have any fun with it at all, even for a moment, buy the Beta version. 'Cause if you at all like building shit with blocks, you're going to be amazed by this game.

Stitch said:
no because it won't be the same

I can't see a reason why this game couln't be done, in the same way, in iPad. Virtual analog to move, swipe screen (or even accelerometer) to move camera, pressing icons to select active slot, 2 virtual buttons, one for place item-block, another for mine-attack.

Small Mailman said:
Can someone explain to me all the fuss over this game? Why is it getting such rave reviews?

It can be played in a number of ways, from a ridiculously powerful virtual Lego playset (including stuff like working electrical circuits with logic gates) to a sort of Rogue-like dungeon crawler. It's got a great melancholic nordic atmosphere, the creator keeps adding all kinds of ingenious stuff to it for free, so you can leave it for months if you get bored, come back, and find all sorts of surprises. It's also pretty cheap (and used to be ridiculously so), and even though I don't like it even half as much as some, I've personally more than got my money's worth out of it.

I got a face full of lava today. Wasn't entirely unexpected since I am mining out the roof of my giant cave and I figured that could happen. Problem was, I forgot to keep a stack of cobble in one of my quick slots, so when I opened up the hole and saw red, I stood there like a dummy frantically opening my pack to slot in some stone....Ouch.

What's it take to be able to use lava on Exano's? I think I know what I want to do with this pool even though it will be quite some time before I get around to it.

BooJoh

jon bones said:
is anyone else super hyped for ios/android minecraft? i can't sit still at my home pc to game but portable minecraft is gonna be god-tier
I don't have a smart phone, but I would love if it eventually made it to a portable I could play on, 3DS seems ideal if it could handle the memory load. For now I'm perfectly happy with the PC version though, especially since it's still in beta.

Visualante said:
Has the discussion about Jason Rohrer's chain world already come and gone?
At first I thought that article was a creepypasta. This seems like a neat concept, but the execution seems terribly unscientific* and more like an exclusive club.

The best way this could be handled would be with an official mod, where the world is stored on a specialized server, and only one person would be allowed to log into that world. That person would be determined by a flag on their Minecraft account, which, upon their death, would be automatically set to disallow their access and allow the next person in line. The line could simply be a queue that you can sign up for, and if you fail to log in within x days of gaining access, you forfeit your place in line.

Honestly this could probably all be done with a custom SMP server.

*By unscientific I mean this: I realize this is kind of the point, but the way the rules are set in this, there's no way to see the results of what's happened in the world after you. What's the point in the experiment if he'll never see the results or discuss it with anyone?

BooJoh said:
At first I thought that article was a creepypasta. This seems like a neat concept, but the execution seems terribly unscientific* and more like an exclusive club.
Doesn't that echo religion as well though? Religion was the main gate keeper to education and knowledge for many many years. Soon enough interest in the world will die out, the religion will fork.. there will be a pure version and an internet version.. then each internet community will have their own religion. I think it's very smart in the way it is designed. It's just a USB drive so it will be absolutely copied and modified. I think quite intentionally.. depite the rules saying otherwise. It would be very interesting to hear Rohrer's thoughts on this but I guess he doesn't post here.

BooJoh said:
The best way this could be handled would be with an official mod, where the world is stored on a specialized server, and only one person would be allowed to log into that world. That person would be determined by a flag on their Minecraft account, which, upon their death, would be automatically set to disallow their access and allow the next person in line. The line could simply be a queue that you can sign up for, and if you fail to log in within x days of gaining access, you forfeit your place in line.

Honestly this could probably all be done with a custom SMP server.
Oh absolutley but this actually involves the audience in a much more organic, less dictator like manner.

BooJoh said:
*By unscientific I mean this: I realize this is kind of the point, but the way the rules are set in this, there's no way to see the results of what's happened in the world after you. What's the point in the experiment if he'll never see the results or discuss it with anyone?
There will be YouTube videos that you can see in your afterlife.. by playing you're accepting that your avatar is analogous to your own life. When you die all that will be left is your personal belongings, the marks you made on the world and the people who come after you. I don't see anything wrong with the implementation, I think it's simplicity is the beauty.

I think the first person who manages to get a copy on here and is rebellious should fork off a GAF religion. Rules are made to be broken.

BooJoh

Visualante said:
Doesn't that echo religion as well though? Religion was the main gate keeper to education and knowledge for many many years. Soon enough interest in the world will die out, the religion will fork.. there will be a pure version and an internet version.. then each internet community will have their own religion. I think it's very smart in the way it is designed. It's just a USB drive so it will be absolutely copied and modified. I think quite intentionally.. depite the rules saying otherwise. It would be very interesting to hear Rohrer's thoughts on this but I guess he doesn't post here.
I'm not sure that was his intention at all. I was under the impression that he was more interested in the relationship we have with people we will never meet from generations that have already ended or have yet to come, our impact on their lives whether intentional or not, and what explanations we come up with for the things we find left behind by them. Granted a player could approach this scientifically, but without text or communication a large portion of what the player finds is left to their own conclusions and beliefs of why things were created, which echoes religion in our own world, where people use it to explain things in our past that are unknown to us, and let it influence our own decisions.

Either way you look at it, it's an interesting experiment. But the copied/rule-broken/forked version is more of an experiment in evolution or branching timelines IMO.

Articalys

Visualante said:
Oh absolutley but this actually involves the audience in a much more organic, less dictator like manner.
Yeah but it also doesn't rely on the fragility of a single USB flash drive being shipped potentially halfway around the world.
As a disclaimer I've never really been a fan of "art" games though... or Rohrer... so maybe I'm biased.

Small Mailman said:

Fear.
Creativity.
Cleverness.
Less is More graphics.
Tasteful music.
Resources as a source of invention and pacing once again.

In other words, it's a big honkin' middle finger at the need to follow Modern Gaming Dogmas in order to be successful.

Roche

AssCraft's Ocean town is coming along nicley, I just finished the bridge connecting it to the starting town and new people are building houses, I'm so proud :)

Here's a picture for those curious

2011-03-16_02.08.3547dz.jpg

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
Sick.

Those people seems to shape trees... how do they do that? mod?
They might have used spawned blocks, in which case you can place leaves I think. But the "legit" way of doing it would be to plant multiple trees near each other, then carve away the leaves and trunks you don't want.

Not as easy now that there's 3 tree types though. Trees seem to be much better at knowing which leaves to decay now.

Bradlums

Aright people, thought I'd show everyone on Exano's server how to get to a large mob grinder in case you need any arrows, bones, feathers, string, or sulphur.

Walk to the sand gate which is northwest of spawn.

2011-03-15_235437.png

From there, walk forward through the gate and turn to the left and you should see this.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae60/Bradlums/2011-03-15_235457.png

Follow the trail and enter the door at the base of the cactus.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae60/Bradlums/2011-03-15_235527.png

Inside the cactus there's a lift to the left to go to the bedrock. You can also just fall down into a pool of water. Don't freak out in mid-fall if it looks like you're falling into lava, there's glass separating water from lava underneath for aesthetic purposes. :p

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae60/Bradlums/2011-03-15_235550.png

The door on the left leads to the mob grinder, the door in the center leads to a cactus farm, and the door to the right leads to a park with a large wheat farm.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae60/Bradlums/2011-03-15_234800.png

Follow the signs to the mob grinder and eventually you should get here. Stand by the sign for a minute or so for the mobs to spawn and get "grinded" and mob drops will start to flow towards you. If you want, you can go afk and you will continue to get items.

2011-03-15_230212.png

Also, just for kicks, here's a pic of the cactus farm and a pic of the park with the wheat farm. Feel free to take as much wheat as you want as long as you replant. (The radishes are wheat.) Animal crossing texture pack called animalcrafting btw

2011-03-15_234825.png

2011-03-15_234837.png

2011-03-15_180926.png

That video was impressive!

Ranger X said:
Sick.

Those people seems to shape trees... how do they do that? mod?

Lots of wood, though they probably just used spawned blocks like BooJoh mentioned. Can spawn leaf blocks.

Here is a tree that I started working on in the previous GAF server:

FG7PH.png

WTpQh.png

Never did get around to finishing it, next step would have been to plant a bunch of trees on tall dirt pillars to get the leaves around the branches.

parasight said:
I'm using that same texture pack but for whatever reason my water is always Teal. How do I fix it so it's blue again?

No clue, are you running the latest version? 6.2 I think? Have you also tried deleting it and reinstalling it?

IrishNinja

whoah, Bradlums - what mod you got going there? it makes the game look like animal crossing, heh.

so, i'm building us a museum! pretty humble, but wolf gave me some good ideas. does anyone have black wool? going for a checkered floor look, and im shy on them. look for the NZA's hovel of survival near the end of the yellow trail, near uh emperor panda's place and some ginorumous castle i'm building around!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IrishNinja said:
whoah, Bradlums - what mod you got going there? it makes the game look like animal crossing, heh.

so, i'm building us a museum! pretty humble, but wolf gave me some good ideas. does anyone have black wool? going for a checkered floor look, and im shy on them. look for the NZA's hovel of survival near the end of the yellow trail, near uh emperor panda's place and some ginorumous castle i'm building around!

do you dye stuff, or just literally make a floor from wool?

Top Bottom