• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What's this talk about other worlds?

I don't want to leave behind my project:

zr0EQ.jpg

:(

Maddness

Ark said:
So much on this current map could be taken over, the only problem is that a lot of it is incorporated into the surrounding landscape. Importing entire hills and landscapes makes the process even more difficult and time consuming than it already would be.

Whilst I really don't want to lose everything we've done so far (Rest assured I'll put the map up for public download so everyone can check it out) but on the plus side, everyone gets to start off on a clean sheet and at the same level.

At first I was opposed to it, but now I think it's for the best. As long as we can access the old world from a download or something.

NEW HEIGHT! I WANT TO BUILD TO THE CLOUDS! HELMS DEEP!

commissar

I vote it is too early to call either way.

If Notch's terrain generation update requires a new map, then sure let's get a new map.

A raised build height by itself is not worth changing to a new map IMO and in that case we should just shift spawn as planned.

Wait and see :)

Ark

Remember also that the current world is surrounded by chunk errors and broken biomes until you generate new land. Which is really my biggest reasoning to reset the map.

One of my friends had a server he hosted from his house, and it had 4 worlds or more (I forgot) all linked up with some kind of nether portals. He had it setup to have one world as pure creative, one for nether (before the nether update), one was the old SpotLand GAF Survival map, and one other for testing junk. He even had it setup so that you couldn't bring items from one world into the other...

Blah, any who, perhaps you could do the same thing. Keep the current map and start a fresh one, and make a link between.

onken

Yeah I like the new world in 1.8 with a portal back to the old one idea.

The thing about Minecraft if that there's quite often nothing to do with your buildings after you've made them (except go "ooh" and "ahh") so we just gotta keep building.

Also yeah if we can upload the server map somewhere after we migrate that would be great.

commissar

Ark said:
Remember also that the current world is surrounded by chunk errors and broken biomes until you generate new land. Which is really my biggest reasoning to reset the map.
Shifting to a new spawn wouldn't fix this?

Realistically if we do set up a new world I don't think it's worth the effort to link to the old world, as I'm not sure anyone would bother building there or visiting.
Might as well just do the download thing.
Though a final high resolution render of the map would be awesome to go with it :]

Vlad

Hrm.... good thing I haven't started on my giant-ish project that I've been pondering. If there's gonna be a map reset, I'll just hold off until the update.

Xun

ArtistDude88 said:
One of my friends had a server he hosted from his house, and it had 4 worlds or more (I forgot) all linked up with some kind of nether portals. He had it setup to have one world as pure creative, one for nether (before the nether update), one was the old SpotLand GAF Survival map, and one other for testing junk. He even had it setup so that you couldn't bring items from one world into the other...

Blah, any who, perhaps you could do the same thing. Keep the current map and start a fresh one, and make a link between.
Definitely up for this.

It'll make the most sense.

Ranger X

If we put the spawn away from the current world, we will be in a newly generated land without errors. The old world would still be there to visit if people want to. This is the best solution because it pleases everyone. People who just want a new world ARE in a new world and people that want to revisit the old one or teleport there also can.

commissar

Ark said:
It'll serve the same purpose as setting up a new world that links to the current world.
So your bigger reasoning for making a new world is that you can do it easier within the old world??

Now I'm really confused :n

also I edited my post a bit late for you to see it I guess

Ark

commissar said:
So your bigger reasoning for making a new world is that you can do it easier within the old world??

Now I'm really confused :n

also I edited my post a bit late for you to see it I guess

Wether we reset the map, create a new spawn far away or create a linked new world via a plugin, we end up with the same result.

bengraven

The bottom line is a lot of the new changes won't affect our old world, which is why we're having this discussion. If we just said we'll keep things the way they are, we would have to leave the map area to find places with the new rivers and oceans and ravines and villages and etc.

All that shit is going to be so cool we want to partake. If we had to vote, my vote would be the portal idea. If that isn't feasible, moving spawn.

YoungFa

Ark said:
Wether we reset the map, create a new spawn far away or create a linked new world via a plugin, we end up with the same result.
Isn't the one option deleting all the buildings and the other keeping them?

bengraven

YoungFa said:
Isn't the one option deleting all the buildings and the other keeping them?

No, he's mentioning three options.

1) deleting the map and restarting would delete all buildings (but the save would be up so anyone can grab it and either play it single player or create their own server and continue

2) moving spawn - just moves our spawn city to a new area, far away, that isn't on the map so the game is forced to load all the new features...you'd still be able to warp or even walk back to the "old world". Think of it like the atlantic ocean.

3) portal - brand new game world, like #1, only with a portal in-game that you walk through and appear in the old world. There are mods that allow this.

Toppot

Ark said:

I'll but my case forward for a linked new world. I think its best because people will be able to see the great city's, buildings and monuments on the active sever and get help going around, and allow for tweaked citys using some improvements I'm sure 1.8 will bring.

People will have a new map to start afresh, clean slate without messed up biomes and chunk errors, which won't lead to a huge map taking ages to scroll (The google maps one).

And what I'm most (admittedly selfishly) concerned about, being able to carry over resources. I've got large stockpiles of cobblestone, sand & glass, dyes and dyed wool etc that I'd like to take with me to a new map, if we did just a new world I guess these would be lost? It wouldn't be the end of the world but it would be nice to carry over resources.

I dunno if everyone will agree on one solution, but we can all discuss concerns and see what's most popular.

YoungFa

bengraven said:
No, he's mentioning three options.

1) deleting the map and restarting would delete all buildings (but the save would be up so anyone can grab it and either play it single player or create their own server and continue

2) moving spawn - just moves our spawn city to a new area, far away, that isn't on the map so the game is forced to load all the new features...you'd still be able to warp or even walk back to the "old world". Think of it like the atlantic ocean.

3) portal - brand new game world, like #1, only with a portal in-game that you walk through and appear in the old world. There are mods that allow this.
Ah, ok. I was just confused that reseting and moving spawn/portal would "end up with the same result". 1) doesn't seem like an option. What are the differences between 2) and 3) that need to be taken into account. Wouldn't option 3) make the server dependable on mod updates after a game/server version update?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
NihonTiger90 said:
It's not a giant Sin Cara head? I feel let down, Ply. [/WrassleGAF inside joke]
How am I supposed to get blue pieces? :p

Had gotten two diamonds then died shortly after. Feels bad man.

So as you all know I'm pretty new... my structures aren't anywhere near some of your levels but I built my first little castle tonight across the water from my wooden hut. Here are a few screenshots - click them for bigger size and description.

This is still all a WIP, it's a little barren now.

Orlandu84

Ark said:
So long as the current map is preserved in some way, I will be satisfied.

I might be overstepping my bounds, but I propose that we take a poll on this matter. Notice I wrote "poll" not a vote. I think it could be helpful for Ark if he gets an idea of where most people are at on this issue. In my mind the ultimate decision rests with Ark. This poll would simply be another way of gathering information about where the community is at. So, the poll could be:

For the upcoming 1.8 patch of Minecraft, we should do the following for the Neocraft server:
1. nothing
2. reset the map
3. create a new span point
4. create a linked world via a plugin
5. I have no opinion

Just my $.02 on the matter.

Jhriad

Seems like most everyone is up for the Multiverse option Orlandu. It'd be the best of both worlds. Get a fresh map but maintain the old one on the same server. Most importantly, to me at least, I can bring resources over from the old map to the new one. Which means I can continue my mining operation.

Have mercy on me. Is a single core 2.0ghz going to be able to do anything or would it be better to just watch youtubes and livestreams? I understand there are low-res texture packs, but I need to know if there are some simple ways to keep the game from crashing.

Toppot

Orlandu84 said:
For the upcoming 1.8 patch of Minecraft, we should do the following for the Neocraft server:
1. nothing
2. reset the map
3. create a new span point
4. create a linked world via a plugin
5. I have no opinion

Just my $.02 on the matter.

I think 4 is the winner, best of everything.

ServBotPhil said:
Have mercy on me. Is a single core 2.0ghz going to be able to do anything or would it be better to just watch youtubes and livestreams? I understand there are low-res texture packs, but I need to know if there are some simple ways to keep the game from crashing.

Minecraft is made to run on low powered computers, you may have to change graphics to fast and change the render distance but that's all in the menu. You can try the Minecraft Demo and see how it runs.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/download-the-minecraft-demo/

divisionbyzorro said:
This been posted here yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJUBQd-PNM

The latest amazing Minecraft mashup from TryHardNinja, brought to you by CaptainSparklez
Thats awesome!

bengraven

divisionbyzorro said:
This been posted here yet?

The latest amazing Minecraft mashup from TryHardNinja, brought to you by CaptainSparklez

There needs to be a compromise option when finding a creeper.

"We can talk about this...just relax..."

I vote we start a new map when 1.8 hits. I know, I used to say the opposite... but I have since grown tired of all the old buildings. A change would be nice. We are all much better builders now, anyway. Also, when the new map, we can implement slopes. :)

EDIT: Oh god oh man oh god oh man oh god oh man I typed 'sense' when I meant 'since'

spuit*11

Banned
I'm still of the opinion that we should just move the new spawn a long way away and leave the old world available. It seems odd to get rid of the old world when there's really no downside to keeping it.

commissar

spuit*11 said:
I'm still of the opinion that we should just move the new spawn a long way away and leave the old world available. It seems odd to get rid of the old world when there's really no downside to keeping it.
Yep. Especially as linking the world via portals is way more work for the same result.

spuit*11 said:

Well, 1.8 may require it to enjoy all the features. We'll see.

Ark

Not sure what's going on with the server. Multiplay might be doing maintenance or it could have just died. It should be up in a few hours at the latest though.

Ranger X

vas_a_morir said:
I vote we start a new map when 1.8 hits. I know, I used to say the opposite... but I have sense grown tired of all the old buildings. A change would be nice. We are all much better builders now, anyway. Also, when the new map, we can implement slopes. :)

I cannot see this as "the better solution". Think "options". If we simply move the spawn away from the old world, you'll be exactly like in a new map AND people that want to revisit the old world will be able to do so. I really can't figure out an option that pleases more people than that. I even wonder why there's still a question in fact.

Ranger X said:
I cannot see this as "the better solution". Think "options". If we simply move the spawn away from the old world, you'll be exactly like in a new map AND people that want to revisit the old world will be able to do so. I really can't figure out an option that pleases more people than that. I even wonder why there's still a question in fact.

Agreed.

Ranger X said:

Because the nature of 1.8's update is still in question. Once again, if the only way we can enjoy the full benefits of the 1.8 update is by creating a new map, then I say we should do it. For example, I've heard people say that we cannot edit the height of the world without creating a new map. Are they telling the truth, or are they simply misinformed? I don't know. But, if that IS the case, a new map is the best option.

Ranger X

vas_a_morir said:
if the only way we can enjoy the full benefits of the 1.8 update is by creating a new map, then I say we should do it.

This could be a possible exception but very unlikely to happen. In all previous updates (in wich Notch modified the terrain generation and added loads of stuff), you never had to do this. Chances are it will be like that again.
As for the height, it doesn't change in vanilla 1.8. It's just that Notch added the variable so someone would want to make mod. If we play as vanilla as possible (like right now), Neocraft will not have a higher sky.

Jasoco

Banned
Just a question. When those big names create Minecraft timelaps videos taken from a distance, what do they do? Do they use an extra username and have them sit on the server recording the screen with the OSD turned off? Or do they use something else specifically designed to record the world?

I assume it's the first. In which case, does that mean they have to register an extra username, or find another person willing to let their computer idle for a while while recording?

Ark

Jasoco said:
Just a question. When those big names create Minecraft timelaps videos taken from a distance, what do they do? Do they use an extra username and have them sit on the server recording the screen with the OSD turned off? Or do they use something else specifically designed to record the world?

I assume it's the first. In which case, does that mean they have to register an extra username, or find another person willing to let their computer idle for a while while recording?

The FyreUK guys bought an extra username.

Top Bottom