• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

I've sent in a ticket to Multiplay, I've tried everything I can on my end and the maintenance should have finished hours ago.

Dammit.

Ark

Rabbit Lord said:
ah =(, thanks for update.

And would you look at that.

The server is back online :lol

I'll be on later on the in the week most likely, on my way to actually completing God of War 3, then I'm going to replay Uncharted 2 :)

Toppot

Ark said:
And would you look at that.

The server is back online :lol

I'll be on later on the in the week most likely, on my way to actually completing God of War 3, then I'm going to replay Uncharted 2 :)

Still broken for me =/ I can get online but nothing loads except a few chunks around me.

And enjoy GoW3, try on harder difficulties if you dare ;)

Ark

Toppot said:
Still broken for me =/ I can get online but nothing loads except a few chunks around me.

And enjoy GoW3, try on harder difficulties if you dare ;)

Hopefully it'll pick up speed in a couple of hours...Otherwise we'll have to wait for Multiplay to get back to me.

Ark

Complex Shadow said:
ark what restrictions do you have on your server?

In terms of what? Creepers can't damage the environment, TNT can only be used by donators, fire doesn't spread, etc etc.

Ark

Complex Shadow said:
actually that's all i needed to know. oh and are chests private?

Yeah, you can lock your chests by typing [Private] in the top line, and then your name in the second line.

You can also allow other people to use them by typing their names in the lines below too.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ark said:
Yeah, you can lock your chests by typing [Private] in the top line, and then your name in the second line.

You can also allow other people to use them by typing their names in the lines below too.
cool. um also can you take me off the visitors list when you have time?

in game name is : xpforr

Ark

Complex Shadow said:
cool. um also can you take me off the visitors list when you have time?

in game name is : xpforr

I've added you in, although I can't update the actual server because it's just not responding.

Ark

Minecraft - Machine Crashes Update
Aug 21 2011 02:43:05 by Killing
Its been a little while since we gave you an update on this so wanted to let you all know what the state of play is.

For those that don't know the problem is that since ~ 1 week after we enabled the FTP upgrades on the Minecaft machines we have been experiencing seemingly random kernel panics, which crashes the machine taking all servers on that machine offline.

Most of the time the machine recovers on its own after a reboot, but sometimes is requires our admins to reset it manually.

Clearly this is far from ideal, so its we've been working very hard to find the cause and create a fix. This has been complicated by the nature of the panic. For those techies out there this was a double fault, which means the cause of the real panic is very hard to find.

That's the bad news, now here's the good:-

Thanks to the dedication of the developers the OS who have been working with us this for weeks, we have now track down the cause.

Armed with this information, we've been going through the kernel code looking for the scenario which triggers the problem. Today we found the problem and created a test which triggers it every time.

The even better news is we believe we now have now created patch for the kernel which fixes the problem. The patch is now in testing on our development machine and has been posted to the OS developers for review. We are hence very hopeful we will have a fix to roll out next week :)

The fix will require a reboot of all affected machines, so an outage will need to be scheduled, more on this when we have confirmed the fix works.

This should hopefully fix the Minecraft server when these machines come back up.

It's up! I'm in there now.

EDIT: Well... there are errors. Like Castleton has disappeared.

EDIT 2: Oh, it's just loading REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL slow.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ark said:
In terms of what? Creepers can't damage the environment, TNT can only be used by donators, fire doesn't spread, etc etc.
Actually, Fire does seem to spread. At least between trees. I found it nice that I could actually burn down trees, since it makes taking care of floating trees so much easier.

Jasoco

Banned
Just saw a picture they tweeted the other day of a world with ACTUAL RIVERS and mountains. Real winding rivers.

Oh my God. There is no reason to even stay on an old world IMHO. The changes are just too great.

Grinchy

Banned
Jasoco said:
Oh my God. There is no reason to even stay on an old world IMHO. The changes are just too great.
I've been really inactive lately so I didn't want to put any input into that subject, but I totally agree.

parasight

Looks great. I really hope they make boats less of a pain to use, so traversing all the water bodies are easier. Right now boats are just janky as hell.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Just saw a picture they tweeted the other day of a world with ACTUAL RIVERS and mountains. Real winding rivers.

You don't need to change worlds, new chunks will generate with the new generating rules.

Glasswork

vas_a_morir said:
I vote we start a new map when 1.8 hits. I know, I used to say the opposite... but I have sense grown tired of all the old buildings. A change would be nice. We are all much better builders now, anyway. Also, when the new map, we can implement slopes. :)
we can implement slopes. :)
implement slopes. :)

tumblr_l45zumaSxl1qc1iql.gif

The Pokemon mod looks, great, I hope they get around to adding Gen 3 pokemon someday :eek:

To go with my last post... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30230271&postcount=7594

Went ahead and connected up my Castle and Wood Home with a Bridge and Minecart rail. There are Powered rails along the way so it's just a matter of jumping in the cart, pushing the button and waiting until the cart arrives at the other station. I'll eventually add alternate paths and switches. Also added a small Work Hut outside my Wood Home since I needed a quick stopping point while building the bridge.

A quick sequence of images - heading from my castle to the opposite shore via boat (looking back at the castle and then taking the bridge back via Minecart.

commissar said:
Looks cool Houston!

I always like little communities of buildings :]
Thanks! That's kind of what it's turning into and I'm going with it.

I'm doing it all kind of haphazardly. Alot of it is experimentation, first time really trying to build stuff. I'm playing Survival and collecting the mats myself so it's rewarding to see something working well.

Speaking of which, any tips on collecting Glow Stone? I got a few blocks but most of it's so high on the ceiling.

commissar

Bring a stack of dirt into the nether with you.
When you jump, you can place a block below you, so use it as a makeshift ladder to get up there & then dig your way back down.

Remember that holding shift (sneak) will stop you from falling off ledges, so a one block tower can be pretty safe :]

Xun

vas_a_morir said:
I vote we start a new map when 1.8 hits. I know, I used to say the opposite... but I have sense grown tired of all the old buildings. A change would be nice. We are all much better builders now, anyway. Also, when the new map, we can implement slopes. :)
Yeah same.

We can remake some of the areas we have now, just bigger and better.

Houston3000 said:
Thanks! That's kind of what it's turning into and I'm going with it.

I'm doing it all kind of haphazardly. Alot of it is experimentation, first time really trying to build stuff. I'm playing Survival and collecting the mats myself so it's rewarding to see something working well.

Speaking of which, any tips on collecting Glow Stone? I got a few blocks but most of it's so high on the ceiling.

I make a horizontal 1 wide bridge out of dirt until I am right under the glowstone I want to harvest. Then I use sand/dirt and jump/place it below me until I am just below the glowstone. I surround the sand column with dirt and build a little platform to catch the glowstone dust.

After mining all the stone in that spot I dig back down through the sand column to the horizontal dirt bridge.

I posted an in progress shot of my rocketship bridge last page, here is a shot of the exterior of the rocket. I just finished this yesterday, still need to build the mission control tower/hook it to the airlock on the bridge. After that I need to remove/add different buildings to my base. It is pretty bland and empty right now.

I learned a ton about redstone building this. I have a lot of airlock style doors inside it with hidden wiring.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, I get back from a two week vacation, jonesing for some minecraft fun, and the server is borked, LOL. I may actually play some single player for a change, thats something I haven't done in months, literally.

Top Bottom