• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy said:
Man, I get back from a two week vacation, jonesing for some minecraft fun, and the server is borked, LOL. I may actually play some single player for a change, thats something I haven't done in months, literally.

Yea I started playing single player for the first time, it sucks...I wish the server was working, I have all these ideas for my norse area....fuuuuck.

Ark

LDN31 - Emergency Performance Maintenance
Aug 21 2011 15:56:36 by Deehem
We will shortly be performing maintenance on the machine LDN31. This is to restore performance on one of the drives in this machine. The outage window can be found below:

-----------------------------------------------------
Start: Monday 22nd August 2011 @ 09:15am BST (GMT +1)
End : Monday 22nd August 2011 @ 11:00am BST (GMT +1)
-----------------------------------------------------

During the above period, all services on the machine LDN31 will be temporarily turned off. We ask that customers do not attempt to start their servers during this period as this may have adverse effects on services.

Ldn31 (London 31) is the machine NeoCraft runs on, if this doesn't fix the server I'm gunna be pissed.

Toppot

tangmaster96 said:
man i tried singleplayer and i never could remember where my house is

If you had a bed in it and slept in it it would be your spawn when you die, and would also be the 'north' that your compass would always point to. If you don't have the bed the compass would point to your original spawn and if your house is near that, or you can find your way from your spawn to your house, then you're golden =] In single player I would also just build a really high 1 x1 tower of dirt with a torch on, by my house, so I could see it from a distance.

Toppot said:
If you had a bed in it and slept in it it would be your spawn when you die, and would also be the 'north' that your compass would always point to. If you don't have the bed the compass would point to your original spawn and if your house is near that, or you can find your way from your spawn to your house, then you're golden =] In single player I would also just build a really high 1 x1 tower of dirt with a torch on so I could see it from a distance.

wow did not know that
thanks for the tip Toppot

Toppot

tangmaster96 said:
wow did not know that
thanks for the tip Toppot

No problem =] and stay safe on single player there's no /home or /back to save you from mobs or lava unless you get the mods ;) I personally keep my single player 100% vanilla, makes it more dangerous and more rewarding (Though saying that I usually have it on peaceful xD)

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
tangmaster96 said:
thats the way way to go in singleplayer
Negative. Without the risk/reward aspect, exploration is almost meaningless.

I guess that's just my perspective though. I represent the minortity opinion that Minecraft needs more exploration/adventure updates, instead of all the construction ones we've been getting.

ahoyhoy said:

I guess that's just my perspective though. I represent the minortity opinion that Minecraft needs more exploration/adventure updates, instead of all the construction ones we've been getting.

true but if u just happen to have a crap load of diamonds then a monster kills u your outta luck unless its at your spawn point

CrazyDude

So I was testing this game out with the free classic mode. I like it, but I have a problem in which ever so often blocks just keep appearing every where I look despite the fact that I am not pressing the button to do that. Anybody know what it might be? I am kind of sick of spamming out block when I am in the middle of building something.

Toppot

ahoyhoy said:

I enjoy getting the resources, finding dungeons, just exploring the world and not having to spend half the game cowering in a hole for half the time and worrying about creepers creeping. I turn on mobs when I'm ready (armored, weapon'd and food'd up) to get bones, string, feathers etc. It does take away some of the risk/reward but I have more fun just gathering things in peace. Or i'll play on normal and just as I'm about to die I switch to peaceful and all the mobs disappear =P

I'm very much looking forward to the adventure updates, I've got bored of single player. Though now loving multiplayer I welcome construction updates aswell =P I personally want more dye colours.

CrazyDude said:
So I was testing this game out with the free classic mode. I like it, but I have a problem in which ever so often blocks just keep appearing every where I look despite the fact that I am not pressing the button to do that. Anybody know what it might be? I am kind of sick of spamming out block when I am in the middle of building something.
Could be another person placing a block? Invisible temporarily because his skin hasn't loaded on a busy server. You could try the Minecraft demo instead, then your on your own and won't have those problems.

What's the mod you see quite often where there is a large inventory of all the items in the game to the right of the regular inventory window?

I've used INVEDIT before but that's a separate program, this one looks like it works the same but in game.

Professor Beef said:
While working on my treehouse, I got distracted and built an obsidian portal instead.

>__>

Welcome to Minecraft, Beef :)

(You, Ply and I should totally build a wrasslin' ring in Minecraft ... >.>)

Redstone Circuity is mind-bending. I've gone ahead and started added switches and alternate routes to my track. The goal is basically to push a button from my bedroom and the mine-cart arrives from the station straight into my room a few seconds later. Then, depending on where the switch is set to I either go back to the minecart-station outside or over the bridge to the station on the opposite shore via said cart.

So far I have this contraption beneath my castle staircase. It's sole purpose is simply so I can alternate the direction of the primary T-Junction via multiple switches independently of one another (one switch in my castle room and the other in the primary mine-cart station. Finally figuring out to use pistons to block circuits. I have a whole new level of respect for those youtubers who build virtual minecraft computers with this stuff.

Arukado

Red Liquorice said:
What's the mod you see quite often where there is a large inventory of all the items in the game to the right of the regular inventory window?

I've used INVEDIT before but that's a separate program, this one looks like it works the same but in game.
I think it is "TooManyItems".

TP17

Just been in the biggest cave system I've found to date (I haven't played it very much though tbf). Got lost so many times, and it just never ends. Luckily managed to stumble my way back to the ladders to my humble base (just started the world). I did see one lone mossy cobblestone in a wall so I spammed torches by it but I have no idea how to get back there haha!

Toppot

TP17 said:
Just been in the biggest cave system I've found to date (I haven't played it very much though tbf). Got lost so many times, and it just never ends. Luckily managed to stumble my way back to the ladders to my humble base (just started the world). I did see one lone mossy cobblestone in a wall so I spammed torches by it but I have no idea how to get back there haha!

All part of the fun ;) =P I would usually mine up in a spiral to where I found a dungeon (Or just where I decide I want to go back to surface) then put some torches around the hole on the surface (Or a tower with a torch on), then use a compass to point to my bed back at my base) then you can leave a trail of torches back to the hole. They can be hard to find again if you're very far away but since you leave torches they show up better at night.

Alternatively you can leave a trail of dirt blocks underground of the path you take. You just have to remember to get rid of them if you double back on yourself and go down another path, as so many places underground split off into 2-3-4 paths.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I finally figured out how I must play this game.

As noted previously, I don't care much for the building stuff aspect, so far. I like to spelunk. (I like to say spelunk. Spelunk.) But I found I was getting careless. I still get spooked by the sound of arrows piercing the darkness, and I maintain safe mining habits, but the hubris was building. I'd explore into far too dark of areas, carry far too little food (need that space for minerals, after all), and wander much too far from a safehouse.

Eventually, just as I first found lava, I was struck down by a Skeleton, my spoils littering the bedrock. As I respawned in my beachside shack, my chest containing only the most useless of materials, I thought, "well, fuck that shit". If I'm going to start over, I'm going to start over.

Gentlemen, I have turned Minecraft into Nethack. If I die, the world dies with me.

I've gone through three worlds this weekend. I don't think this approach is really helping.

Charron said:
I finally figured out how I must play this game.

As noted previously, I don't care much for the building stuff aspect, so far. I like to spelunk. (I like to say spelunk. Spelunk.) But I found I was getting careless. I still get spooked by the sound of arrows piercing the darkness, and I maintain safe mining habits, but the hubris was building. I'd explore into far too dark of areas, carry far too little food (need that space for minerals, after all), and wander much too far from a safehouse.

Eventually, just as I first found lava, I was struck down by a Skeleton, my spoils littering the bedrock. As I respawned in my beachside shack, my chest containing only the most useless of materials, I thought, "well, fuck that shit". If I'm going to start over, I'm going to start over.

Gentlemen, I have turned Minecraft into Nethack. If I die, the world dies with me.

I've gone through three worlds this weekend. I don't think this approach is really helping.
Man, if I played like that I would of been through so many worlds right now.

Pretty much all I was doing was spelunking before with nothing but a tiny shack, but after dropping all my shit in the lava a few times in a row (especially in the Nether) I decided to take a break and started this building project I've been posting. That being said I have to go back down, I'm starting to run low on Iron. I put aside just enough to make myself a couple of pickaxes and some armor but I've already broken into that stash to build some pistons and additional rails last night. I may have to use some of those precious diamonds I've been hoarding.

Thinking about the amount of extra Iron, Gold, and Diamonds I'd have if I didn't get stupid and push myself too far is kind of sad though. Now everytime I go down I bring 7 Porkchops minimum.

Toppot

Charron said:

That's how I played sometimes, I'd be pissed I'd lost diamonds etc then just start a new world. One thing to remember is to carry a bucket of water or two so you can use them to put out lava and collect your water again.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Toppot said:
That's how I played sometimes, I'd be pissed I'd lost diamonds etc then just start a new world. One thing to remember is to carry a bucket of water or two so you can use them to put out lava and collect your water again.

I didn't even die from the lava. I died from the fucking Skeleton. I was all "yay, lava, new stuff! Rich redstone and diamond depOH SHI-".

Toppot

Charron said:
I didn't even die from the lava. I died from the fucking Skeleton. I was all "yay, lava, new stuff! Rich redstone and diamond depOH SHI-".

I laughed xD, but I do feel your pain.

Like Houston said take lots of food, porkchops and soup are best because you can heal on the go, where as cakes will fill your health but you have to put them down as a block and eat them.

I you get low on health just dig up to the surface, dig into a wall and just go up, or 'cheat' and set it to peaceful so no skeletons or mobs can backstab you =P and make you way back home in relative safety.

celebi23

Anyone getting connection errors when trying to connect to the server? First, Minecraft is stuck on the logging in screen for a few minutes & then I'm at the connection lost screen.

I've found that pork chops take too much space in inventory while cave diving for hours at a time. My preferred method is to take a stack of 64 wheat and a crafting table. 64 wheat leads to 21 bread and the stack plus the crafting table only takes 2 inventory slots compared to all the pork chops which don't stack.

Toppot

celebi23 said:
Anyone getting connection errors when trying to connect to the server? First, Minecraft is stuck on the logging in screen for a few minutes & then I'm at the connection lost screen.

There was the maintenance carried out this morning on the server, they could have run into problems, especially if they were trying to do the patch. You can just keep trying every hour or two. Ark might be able to update us later with any news he gets from Multiplay.

celebi23

Toppot said:
There was the maintenance carried out this morning on the server, they could have run into problems, especially if they were trying to do the patch. You can just keep trying every hour or two. Ark might be able to update us later with any news he gets from Multiplay.
Ah, right. I forgot about that. I just really want to work on the Library some more.

Toppot

notsol337 said:
The one time I decide to play Minecraft instead of New Vegas or World of Tanks, and it's down! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't worry, go back to World of Tanks for a few hours then check this thread again, as soon we know its up we'll post =] Though we have no idea when it will be up, though should be this week.

Drazgul

Jasoco said:
1.8 will fix the food stacking issue. By allowing food to stack.

Stacking in inventory, one per slot in hotbar (like that one mod whose name escapes me atm)? It's either that or cooldown on eating food, otherwise players can survive even lava-swimming.

AngryChinchilla said:
I've found that pork chops take too much space in inventory while cave diving for hours at a time. My preferred method is to take a stack of 64 wheat and a crafting table. 64 wheat leads to 21 bread and the stack plus the crafting table only takes 2 inventory slots compared to all the pork chops which don't stack.

Bread requires wheat farming which is slow and, more importantly, it only heals for 2 1/2 hearts. Porkchops are extraordinarily common and easy to collect, I can't tell you how many porkchops I've thrown into the lava because I'd have a dozen+ of them on me at once filling my inventory. They also heal for 4 hearts, so they can save your life if you're getting shot at and have one or two on your hotbar - bread won't really help enough (especially if your armor is gone).

Honestly, the best method for extended trips is a few mushrooms and a bowl (plus the aforementioned workbench or stack of wood). Mushroom stew heals for 5 hearts and its ingredients stack. For 4 slots you can heal for hundreds upon hundreds of hearts. Mushrooms are pretty slow to farm but the fact that they heal so much evens it out... still a run into the Nether will net you enough to last you a while (plus infinite porkchops)

Toppot

*puts on nerd glasses*

The maths of it:

Mushrooms - 4 Slots
64 Red Mushrooms
64 Brown Mushrooms
64 Bowls
1 Crafting Table
=
640 Hearts
Has be to be farmed a lot to be viable (large area)

Bread - 4 Slots
63 Wheat
63 Wheat
63 Wheat
1 Crafting Table
=
189 Hearts
Easy to farm next to water at good rate, or with bone meal, though heals slowly

Cake - 4 Slots
=
40 Hearts
Lots of ingredients and can't be consumed from hotbar

Cooked Pork - 4 Slots
=
14 Hearts
Quick and easy but not efficient for long journeys

Mushrooms clearly win if you can farm them fast enough, would need to have lots of farms for them or a big area in the dark, which in itself could be dangerous to harvest with mobs spawning. But the bread method comes in a good second for long trips.

I just like the bread because the wheat is super easy to farm and is quick. I have an auto harvester that I built with pistons that makes the whole process quick and easy.

Ark

Update: This outage is running a little over schedule. We are restoring data back onto the drive now and we expect this to be fully restored shortly.

Update: Unfortunately this maintenance period had no effect on the drive issue. As such we will be replacing this drive. An updated outage period will be posted shortly.

Server is completely inaccessible right now :lol

Completed God of War 3 (AMAZING game) and I'm on my way to completing Uncharted 2 again (AMAZING game ;) ). If the server is still dead after that, I'll either start playing some single player MC or god forbid, start playing some Starcraft 2 again :eek:

Ark

I've had the DIGGY DIGGY HOLE remix stuck in my head for days now.

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole..

The Yogscast Gamescom footage is hilarious though.

Toppot said:
*puts on nerd glasses*

The maths of it:

Mushrooms clearly win if you can farm them fast enough, would need to have lots of farms for them or a big area in the dark, which in itself could be dangerous to harvest with mobs spawning. But the bread method comes in a good second for long trips.
My point is to carry a couple porkchops in your hotbar if you're not rolling in Mushroom Stew yet. Much better than bread for situations where you would need to eat food quickly to regain health before dying. Since it's so cheap and easily obtainable there's no reason not to bring a couple with you when you start a long journey. As it stands now 4 porkchops last me until my inventory is completely full (at which point most of them are eaten and I only have 1 or 2 left), and at that point I venture back to the surface anyways.

celebi23

Ark said:
Server is completely inaccessible right now :lol

Completed God of War 3 (AMAZING game) and I'm on my way to completing Uncharted 2 again (AMAZING game ;) ). If the server is still dead after that, I'll either start playing some single player MC or god forbid, start playing some Starcraft 2 again :eek:
dammit. Really itching to play some Minecraft
dave-chappelle-13505.jpg

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
WTF, I get back from Chicago and the server is down, what did you do Ark? Did you try uploading some British Mod Pack that allows you to hump sheep?

Grinchy

Banned
BaDJuJu said:
WTF, I get back from Chicago and the server is down, what did you do Ark? Did you try uploading some British Mod Pack that allows you to hump sheep?
This exists?? And I've just been using my imagination this whole time??

Toppot

BaDJuJu said:

That's really the Welsh not all Britons =P Ark tried to get a tea mod where you use a bowl with water and tea leaves, then you put it in the furnace to heat it up. You can then add a milk bucket and sugar. Unfortunately the tea was spilled on the server and well.. yeah.

OR

Its being fixed tonight or tomorrow hopefully because they did a bad FTP update that the kernel of their OS didn't like. Most people are taking this time to do single player and learn something about real vanilla crafting =]

Top Bottom