• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

BaDJuJu said:
WTF, I get back from Chicago and the server is down, what did you do Ark? Did you try uploading some British Mod Pack that allows you to hump sheep?

Sorry, I thought she
ep
was on the pill.

bengraven

Ark said:
I've had the DIGGY DIGGY HOLE remix stuck in my head for days now.

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole..

The Yogscast Gamescom footage is hilarious though.

Ha, that too, but honestly....

...I'm inna hole. haha

I found a small cave system while logging in one day and getting chunk errors. So I thought I'd sneak down and make a nerd hole down to it, since it's fairly close to my house. I broke some blocks, went further down, then the blocks above me filled back in.

Now I'm just...waiting.

And waiting.

And until then I'll diggy diggy IRL.

Ark said:
Sorry, I thought she
ep
was on the pill.

8 out of 10

2dxLO.gif

Ashodin

Hey guys, I've got a private server running between me and my GF, and I'm gonna do a little stream of what's going, so you can see how our buildings look and stuff, maybe you can even catch a glimpse of my crazy bravery-filled cave exploration (I do it really fast and attack everything quickly).

The stream is at : http://www.ustream.tv/channel/minecraft-smp-game

Click to watch! :)

Time for me to share my recent project in Minecraft. I figured I had to once I bought it after all. Plus I had my girlfriend to encourage me. :lol

My first major project was making a private server for us and making ourselves a dream home. We just got done working on it (for now, at least. She LOVES this game), and I decided to take some screenshots and show off our work. Bear in mind, most of the stuff inside was the result of her planning. I was able to help, but I never would've thought of half of the things she did! The entire thing took two days to finish.

To save space, I'm just going to link these pics.

NOTE: These screenshots were taken while I was using a Cave Story texture pack. I didn't realize it until I had taken most of the pics, and I didn't feel like redoing them all, so please bear with me.

*Pathway to the bridge*
- Pretty self-explanatory. The glowstone was a nice touch, I must say.

*Bridge from the side*
- The bridge is made of wood, with glowstone under the rails. While we were clearing the way and building it, monsters kept spawning underneath the bridge because I forgot to turn the spawns off. As a temporary fix, she put posts underneath the glowstone to keep them from entering and exiting. :lol

*Front of the home*
- Also self-explanatory. It also shows how big the place is. The Cave Story textures don't show it well, but that's regular stone the home is made out of.

*Living Room/Entrance*
- The inside of our home. I had forgotten paintings were even an item in Minecraft, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the character art while decorating. The lava in the corner and flaming netherrack serve as garbage cans to destroy extra cobblestone and such while we were making space. The hallway in the back leads to the bedroom and the rooftop garden, while the door on the right leads to the kitchen.

*Kitchen table*
- I thought this was pretty clever when she first showed me her 1P world. She uses wooden steps as chairs, and uses signs as the arm rests (it looks much better in the default skin, since the signs blend in better). The wood is the obvious table, and there are two cakes on it which have the Cave Story heart symbol on them. Glowstone serves as nice lighting, too.

*Cooking area*
- Iron blocks surround the furnaces, and lapis lazuli are placed on the wall to give it some color. It's hard to spot from this angle, but there's a block of water in the middle that acts as a sink!

*Rooftop Garden - My side 1*
*Rooftop Garden - My side 2*
- Before we started work on Day 2, my girlfriend asked me if we could make a garden on the roof. It took a while, but we cleared off all the sand and junk and replaced it with a flat area of grass (despite a few setbacks involving TNT). The above pics are from what I worked on. I thought I was doing a pretty nice job with the flower and tree placements, but then I turn around and see her side. :lol

*Rooftop Garden - Her side 1*
*Rooftop Garden - Her side 2*
*Rooftop Garden - Her side 3*
- Again, the Cave Story textures kinda make the blocks hard to identify. The blocks are pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns, for the record. This side was ENTIRELY her idea. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when she made it, and it pretty much blew my mind. It almost made me embarrassed for my side too. :lol Even though I thought her side was great, the small water pathway is my favorite touch.

*The Bedroom - Entrance/Couch area*
*The Bedroom - Sitting area*
*The Bedroom - Sleeping area*
- I wasn't sure how big we were going to make our bedroom at first; I knew it was going to be huge, but i didn't think it was going to be bigger than our living room! The bookcases were added while I was taking pictures of the rest of the place (I don't have before/after shots), but the entire thing was completed during our first day otherwise. The sitting area has lava behind glass, giving off a nice glow. I forgot to change it to daytime, so it's hard to see, but the glass windows make a great view to the front of our home.

The bed area was another brainchild of hers. We put two spawnpoint beds together for us, and she went and made the other, bigger bed. Purple and magenta wool is on the floor as a nice carpet, and there's a radio and chest at the foot of the bed. You can also spot two blue wool block pillows.

*Outside Deck*
- A nice wooden deck that leads all the way to the large glass window near our bed. We had trouble making this entire area because Creepers kept spawning. It wasn't until I learned that I had to restart the server with spawns turned off that they stopped coming (I thought changes happened immediately...whoops!).

*Deck View*
- And finally, the view from the deck. I have my graphic options turned down so my laptop doesn't lag as hard, but I still like the view. :lol

So that's our dream home. I hope you guys like the work we did. We're planning on turning spawns back on so we can go cave-exploring next.

celebi23

spuit*11 said:
It's not dead just ultra-slow. Even slower than it was before.

This makes me a sad panda.
I thought the maintenance the server company was doing to the server would've fixed the problem :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
celebi23 said:
I thought the maintenance the server company was doing to the server would've fixed the problem :(

The maintenance didn't fix it, so they are going to replace the drive or something today. We'll see tonight if it's up or not.

I couldn't get onto Neocraft at all last night, so I played my single player world for the first time in months instead. Actually, for the first time since I've started playing SMP on Neocraft. Took a tour of all of my bases via my portal network into the nether, it was fun to revisit everything I had made so long ago. What surprised me though was how crappy I thought most of it was. Since I've been playing on Neocraft, I've seen so many different styles and ideas and creative things that my SSP world now seems amateurish in comparison. And I've got materials scattered between all of my bases, and my storage vaults are so bland and unorganized, I don't even have signs labeling my chests. I don't have a very good mob grinder, in fact my grinder sucks in my SSP world. My mines seemed blah and weren't prettied up at all.

I realized last night that playing on Neocraft has made me a more creative and better minecrafter.

But I also found it so very relaxing and fun. No lag, no chatting with other people to distract me, I can kill mobs with swords again. It was actually kind of nice.

I'm going to start making time to play in SSP again. First I'm going to prepare for 1.8 by making a new tunnel in my nether (I started this last night) that goes off super far into a new direction. Like several thousand nether tiles. At the end of this tunnel I'm going to make a huge cobblestone nether base with an unlit portal and a huge vault area with lots of chests. Then I'm going to ferry all of my materials to this nether base and store it all there. Every piece of stone, ore, coal, wool, mob drops, food, EVERYTHING. Once 1.8 goes live I'll light the portal and hop back out into the main world with new fresh 1.8 generated chunks, FAR away from my old world. (Similar to what Ark is going to do on Neocraft.)

Then, in 1.8, I'm going to explore again. It's something I don't do on Neocraft, not like I would like to. Because of trying to keep the Neocraft world size down I always build on already generated land, but one of my favorite things to to in minecraft is to pick a direction and just WANDER. I like to go sightseeing. I like to go hundreds of tiles in any direction and find all manner of cool nooks and crannies and caves and mountains and bays and deserts and frozen wastelands. My SSP map looks like a huge octopus, LOL. And in 1.8 this should be even more interesting due to the new features.

I've been so engrossed into SMP on Neocraft that I'd forgotten some of the biggest reasons I fell in love with this game in the first place. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop playing SMP, I'm thoroughly addicted to Neocraft and it's a part of the game I won't give up now, but I'm going to be dividing my time between SSP and SMP from now on.

Jasoco

Banned
Ever since setting up a personal home server for my brother, his girlfriend and myself, I've become too attached to "creative" mode and the /give command. It's going to be hard going back to normal mining and crafting when I go to other servers. It's just so much easier to build your own world when you have infinite resources.

Ark

Jasoco said:
Ever since setting up a personal home server for my brother, his girlfriend and myself, I've become too attached to "creative" mode and the /give command. It's going to be hard going back to normal mining and crafting when I go to other servers. It's just so much easier to build your own world when you have infinite resources.

Now you know how I feel :lol

The good news: I just completed Uncharted 2 again! More ready than ever for Uncharted 3! :)

The bad news: The server is still borked and Multiplay haven't gotten back to my dozens of e-mails and forum posts yet.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
Ark, I need the multiplayer support email address. I need to start sending pictures of what people start doing when they take minecraft away for too long.

Like Ark and Mirk on "holiday"!
dude.jpg

Mikor

May I suggest using www.nfoservers.com? They've been nothing but helpful and supportive of us, but you'll need to be technically proficient enough to set up your own server beyond the OS installation point. It is a VPS, but it is assigned dedicated resources so it runs great. They offer burst latency up to a gigabit, and 100 megabit is guaranteed. There is a 2 TB bandwidth cap, but Ark's server isn't nearly large enough to push that sort of data on a monthly basis.

If you want to run a really smooth and well managed server, Multiplay and other "managed hosting" providers are junk, for situations like the one you're in now. If Civil Wars was open to the public, I'd happily provide connection info so you'd all have something to do while waiting for Ark's server, but its staff-only for the moment while we get our backend squared away.

Also, in unrelated news, the Minecraft Pocket Companion is on track to surpass 3k downloads today, so that's pretty awesome. Better Than Wolves and BuildCraft support are already in, with Flan's Mods, Millenaire, Mo's Creatures, and the upcoming release of IndustrialCraft² to be added in the future. We also now plan on adding a comprehensive SMP server guide once all our supported mods are documented. We'll also be pushing a 1.8 update out for the app within 24 hours of its release, or so we've planned.

Orlandu84

When I can't play Minecraft's multiplayer, I now go back to my other multiplayer game of choice: Bad Company 2. Of course, now I have the urge to place blocks of cobblestone all over the maps! I wonder if Frostbite 2.0 (BF3's engine) could support that? ;) I can't be the first guy to imagine combining Minecraft and first person shooters. Oh well, back to paperwork for me.

Mikor

Orlandu84 said:
When I can't play Minecraft's multiplayer, I now go back to my other multiplayer game of choice: Bad Company 2. Of course, now I have the urge to place blocks of cobblestone all over the maps! I wonder if Frostbite 2.0 (BF3's engine) could support that? ;) I can't be the first guy to imagine combining Minecraft and first person shooters. Oh well, back to paperwork for me.

Ever heard of Ace of Spades? A WW1 styled FPS in a Minecraft-style voxel world.

http://ace-spades.com/

Mikor

gutabo said:
Holy shit.

My group of friends have been going through 2 games: Minecraft and Battlefield 2. This seals the deal! How often do they update this game? Thanks!

I have no idea, but I'd be up for hosting a server if there's more widespread interest. I've played it once, solo, but remembered about it when someone mentioned "FPS in MC"

Mikor

Jasoco said:
Maybe you should just make NeoCraft a Creative server. Give everyone admin privileges. lol

On second thought....

Are you nuts? Lol :p

If Ark's willing to migrate over to SpoutCraft, there's a plugin that gives TooManyItems functionality in SMP. Could use that as a way to have infinite blocks for pre-authorized "builders" (players who've been around for a good long while and have already significantly contributed to the server in a meaningful capacity)

Jasoco

Banned
Mikor said:
Are you nuts? Lol :p

If Ark's willing to migrate over to SpoutCraft, there's a plugin that gives TooManyItems functionality in SMP. Could use that as a way to have infinite blocks for pre-authorized "builders" (players who've been around for a good long while and have already significantly contributed to the server in a meaningful capacity)
Haha... yeah. Not a good idea.

When 1.8 comes out, we are probably keeping our server too. I'm just going to walk off far until I get far enough into new chunks then create a portal to connect it to our old stuff. Like what Ark was planning on doing. I've put way too much into my little town and by the time 1.8 hits, it'll probably be a city.

Mostly I'm looking forward to the Server List feature so I can store my server, Ark's server and my friends server and not have to type long IP's when I want to switch. It is enough to discourage me from switching. So I end up sticking with one.

Mengy

Jasoco said:
Maybe you should just make NeoCraft a Creative server. Give everyone admin privileges. lol

I really don't like that idea. For me, the survival and monster aspect of the game makes it fun and interesting. Spelunking a huge cave network with no risk at all would bore me quickly. Really takes the "game" out of minecraft, IMHO.

Ranger X

I also prefer the game as vanilla as possible. Minecraft is not simply Lego videogame, its much more than that.
I didn't even install the flying mod because it's already crossing the bore line for me.

celebi23

Ark, any news? I can't even mine Sandstone :( It just keeps on glitching. I mine the Sandstone & then the game undoes what I just did :/

In my SSP world I finally finished connecting up my tracks. There's a Minecart stopping point both inside my castle and inside my other house as well as two separate Minecart Stations on either shore outside of the castle/house. The Minecart station in front of the castle is a parking spot and can hold two carts, the one outside the house is a junction point. The cart will stop there no matter which direction I'm heading and face me towards the bridge where I can choose to either go across to the castle or into the house (or just get out right there at the bridge) I have a main switch I can toggle from anywhere that will toggle the T-Junction so the carts will return back to the parking station. I also constructed a couple of piston doorways to protect my home despite the gaping hole for the track entrance. Besides that I dug a basement under my castle for the eventual Redstone wiring project I plan to do under there. Click the pictures to see the larger versions.

Stopping point in my Castle:

Stopping point in my House:

(the lever closes all the piston doors and shuts down the track so I don't accidentally start it with the doors closed)

(doors open into house the bridge, castle, and workshop outpost are in the distance)

Bridge Junction Point:

Mengy

EVIL said:
*begs arks to fix the server*

At this point it's not up to Ark, it's up to Multiplay to fix it. Unless Ark leaves Multiplay and takes the world map to a new server service, lol. That would be one way to fix it!

We just have to wait for Multiplay to replace the drive and get it all restored to working order.

Xun

I'm thankful the server is down for a bit, it means I have more time to do more productive things.

Oh who am I kidding, I miss it. :(

Toppot

This is the link to news on the server
http://clanforge.multiplay.co.uk/cf_news_history.html
The NeoCraft server is on LDN31 (You can see the news on it Ark posted a couple of days ago)

Please don't go submitting a ticket, Ark has sent them loads and they are working on the issue, sending more tickets won't help.

ATM it looks like they have probably ordered a new drive and will be replacing it this week. They have a work around for the kernel issue but our problem is the drive.

Be patient =]

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
REFUND! REFUND!!! Ark you had better get some free shit! Tell them you want a disco ball and stripper pole added to our server, and maybe some actual strippers, with big block tits. Yeah, you know you likes!

Ark

BaDJuJu said:
REFUND! REFUND!!! Ark you had better get some free shit! Tell them you want a disco ball and stripper pole added to our server, and maybe some actual strippers, with big block tits. Yeah, you know you likes!

But what about the children!?

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
I also prefer the game as vanilla as possible. Minecraft is not simply Lego videogame, its much more than that.
I didn't even install the flying mod because it's already crossing the bore line for me.
Same here. Having no creeper damage was bad enough, though there are certain times when that's quite appreciated (especially considering how easy it is to grief when the damage is on). I just miss the actual tension that exists in vanilla minecraft. There's basically no danger on the server outside of lava. If you die, you just warp back and grab your things; that even became part of my play style. With flying, you don't even have to worry about dying while you are building. Then if you find a lava pool in a cave/mine you just fly over it and collect the materials you see in the walls.

That's not to say I'm against flying for other people. What the people want is what the people want. I just saw your post and realized I agreed. I would much rather see people enjoying the server than to see people not enjoying it. I'd be happy to sacrifice my own enjoyment for that.

Toppot

Grinchy said:
Same here. Having no creeper damage was bad enough, though there are certain times when that's quite appreciated (especially considering how easy it is to grief when the damage is on). I just miss the actual tension that exists in vanilla minecraft. There's basically no danger on the server outside of lava. If you die, you just warp back and grab your things; that even became part of my play style. With flying, you don't even have to worry about dying while you are building. Then if you find a lava pool in a cave/mine you just fly over it and collect the materials you see in the walls.

That's not to say I'm against flying for other people. What the people want is what the people want. I just saw your post and realized I agreed. I would much rather see people enjoying the server than to see people not enjoying it. I'd be happy to sacrifice my own enjoyment for that.

If you don't like warping, flying etc then Ark can disable them for you personally I think. Then you won't have the temptation to use them.

Ark

I can't disable flying, because it's client-side. Sure there are plugins that work with permissions for flying, but it works fine for now :)

I can however disable warps, home and all that good stuff for individuals.

Mengy

Toppot said:
If you don't like warping, flying etc then Ark can disable them for you personally I think. Then you won't have the temptation to use them.

I so rarely use the warps / home commands on the server that I would not even notice if Ark removed them completely. I like traveling overland, even in the night, and when I want to get somewhere fast I use nether portals. In fact, I would prefer if we got rid of all warps and such and instead had a server wide nether portal network to all of the areas. To me that would be much more fun and gamey. But I realize that not everyone feels the same way, so I just choose not to use the warps much myself.

In fact, maybe I'll make that a new project for myself, building a nether portal network to various places on the server. Hmmm......

Woorloog

Banned
I have nothing against warps, i use them only rarely anyway, i usually stick to one area. Ideally i'd build railroads from place to place but that would need so very, very much Iron...
As for flying.. well, since it's client-side, it's easy to ignore. I don't install it. While it would make building stuff easier, i like the challenge high buildings give.
I do not have anything against vanilla MC really, just that certain mods simply enchance it and make it better. Eg slopes (and why the hell there is no (cobble)stone fence pieces? Standard cobble is really too wide for a stone fence, it's a stone WALL).
Once the server's fixed/changed and 1.8 and map reset/spawn moved, can we get the slopes mod?
EDIT, would like infinite blocks at times but that's just wishing, not actually wanting. Certain rare stuff certainly should be more plentiful though, for frequent and big project builders. Is there a mod that makes ores (and mobs too!) more frequent? Actually, scratch that, faster and stronger tools (ie better than diamond even) would do the job as well. A diamond tipped drill?

EDIT, ark's avatar still gives me the creeps

EDIT sorry for any incoherrence/typos etc, thinking too many things at the same time

Top Bottom