• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Watched the stream. Must say I'm really looking forward to the new lighting system! All the other content seems cool, but I don't know if it'll help me with my builder's block :p

"Maybe we should name our next game 'The Elder Quake'" Hehehe

bengraven

ArtistDude88 said:
Watched the stream. Must say I'm really looking forward to the new lighting system! All the other content seems cool, but I don't know if it'll help me with my builder's block :p

"Maybe we should name our next game 'The Elder Quake'" Hehehe

haha I thought he said Elder Rage, but that works too.

rexor0717

superbank said:
Yeah I've been watching it for about 20 minutes now. Its called "LIVE from my Android phone".

I really like the look of the small islands it's generating. Just a small 20 or 40 block across island with one tree. The oceans are vast. Notch also talks about implementing larger vehicles so hopefully I'll get my dream of a proper survival island scenario. You start off on a small island and use the scarce resources you have to eventually build a proper boat and sail away.
This is pretty much all I've ever wanted from Minecraft. Have an ocean adventure. Hope from island to island, fighting monsters and getting treasure.

bengraven

Notch said something about possibly breaking the update up again. Like 1.8 and 1.9 or something, in order to shrink the times between updates.

I would be more than happy with what we have right here. Give me strongholds/dungeons, villages, the new biomes, farming, and I'll be happy.

Acullis said:
Just after PAX at some point. He's going to use the feedback there to tune/balance the patch.

sweet thanks.

I'd be totally ok with the update splitting if all the currently announced major features like the villages, biome editing, hunger, etc made the first half and all his crazy ideas that haven't been announced were in 1.9.

bengraven

I think the official presentation is in an hour? Didn't they say 3pm PST?

So I'm sure we'll have lots of screenshots and impressions tonight, though I feel Notch showed us a TON.

spirity

This game looks so ridiculously crude. The world is made up of stupid low texture blocks, the animals are daft looking, their faces are blurry and have no detail. I straight up laughed when I went into the inventory and saw the frickin THING I was supposed to be. Oh look, a floating piece of shit in the sky, supposedly an island? Give me a break. Look at the 'grass', hahaha.

Just so utterly STUPID. Reminds me of the Spectrum games I thought we'd all left behind us in the 80's. Are you lot seeing the same things I'm seeing? Or have you all lost your minds?

Then I started making a few dorky looking tools, spurred on only because of the buzz this game was creating on the various websites I look at. I made some sort of ramshackle piece of crap 'house' .. and slowly, very slowly, I got drawn in. And what was once fugly to me, became very, very beautiful. I now love it. I don't know how it happened, nor understand why it did. I've always been of the opinion that if you spend part of your daytime activities yearning to get home and play X again, then X is a classic game. Guess what game I was thinking of today.

I'm now looking at a youtube video of some guy in a bad hat playing this goofy looking game, filmed using a mobile phone, the quality of which makes the guy in the bad hat look worse than the avatar I play in this game. That's saying a lot. And I'm getting excited at the prospect of an update that gives new textures to stone blocks. What the hell happened to me?

spirity said:
What the hell happened to me?

I have a theory...
LythU.jpg

bengraven

spirity said:
This game looks so ridiculously crude. The world is made up of stupid low texture blocks, the animals are daft looking, their faces are blurry and have no detail. I straight up laughed when I went into the inventory and saw the frickin THING I was supposed to be. Oh look, a floating piece of shit in the sky, supposedly an island? Give me a break. Look at the 'grass', hahaha.

Just so utterly STUPID. Reminds me of the Spectrum games I thought we'd all left behind us in the 80's. Are you lot seeing the same things I'm seeing? Or have you all lost your minds?

Then I started making a few dorky looking tools, spurred on only because of the buzz this game was creating on the various websites I look at. I made some sort of ramshackle piece of crap 'house' .. and slowly, very slowly, I got drawn in. And what was once fugly to me, became very, very beautiful. I now love it. I don't know how it happened, nor understand why it did. I've always been of the opinion that if you spend part of your daytime activities yearning to get home and play X again, then X is a classic game. Guess what game I was thinking of today.

I'm now looking at a youtube video of some guy in a bad hat playing this goofy looking game, filmed using a mobile phone, the quality of which makes the guy in the bad hat look worse than the avatar I play in this game. That's saying a lot. And I'm getting excited at the prospect of an update that gives new textures to stone blocks. What the hell happened to me?

The graphics never bothered me at all. I had played tons of shitty looking indie games in the past and this was actually one of the better looking ones. I still agree that the characters move horribly and your character especially is ridiculous but that helped the charm of the game at first.

I think I was less turned off by the graphics at first than many, especially people who mostly play the U3 engine games by AAA developers. That said, I got a texture pack quick. But I've recently went back to default and/or Kas's Painterly pack and I haven't looked back.

But I agree, you get caught by this game quickly.

Also, that's the guy with Nic Cage's wig who is on Ancient Aliens on History occasionally.

Ranger X

spirity said:

Trolling much?
This is called an "art style". Also, a 100% moveable/transformable world is impossible to do in Crysis graphics if you understand a thing or two about game develloping. We simply aren't there yet. Going "retro 3D" for this game was quite the perfect move imo. It totally compliments the technical limitations the nature of the game are imposing.
As with any art style, you don't HAVE to like this though. I suppose you already know that and that you also can download high res texture packs to actually make the game look worse...

spirity said:

You should install a texture pack if the graphics bother you. Even if they don't you should check them out.

I use Sphax PureBDCraft. Here's a descent example:

What's great about it to is the author supports a lot of the more popular mods so you're graphics aren't disjointed if you install something like The Aether Mod or Better than Wolves.

There's also mods to add shaders, motion blur, dynamic lights, bloom, etc... if you want to get extreme. IE:

Obviously though the game will still have that block aesthetic.

bengraven

He's streaming again: http://www.twitch.tv/realnotch

Just a drawing going on right now, but Notch is on top of the stage at the back and people are walking behind him, so it's kind of funny to hear people walk by him and be like 'NOTCH!'

Also, again, I fucking LOVE the new title screen. I love that Zelda/Animal Crossing like view of the world while the title comes up.

Grinchy

Banned
Houston3000 said:
There's also mods to add shaders, motion blur, dynamic lights, bloom, etc... if you want to get extreme. IE:

Holy shit I love that. I may have to check this out when 1.8 comes. I'm staying away from MC til then.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I think Notch gets way more shit than he deserves most of the time, but he really can be sort of a putz. He's a millionaire but he couldn't even manage a real video camera to record his livestream?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I think it was more like "Hey I just made this streaming account a week ago for the coding challenge. I have a phone with a camera. Lets live stream for the fans!"

But yeah I can't hear shit.

edit: Actually, there is that dude with a big honking camera right next to Notch. PAX camera? Or is it the dudes who're documenting the development of MC?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
superbank said:
I think it was more like "Hey I just made this streaming account a week ago for the coding challenge. I have a phone with a camera. Lets live stream for the fans!"

But yeah I can't hear shit.

edit: Actually, there is that dude with a big honking camera right next to Notch. PAX camera? Or is it the dudes who're documenting the development of MC?
That's what I mean, he's always doing this spur of the moment stuff without thinking it out at all. I'm really interested in 1.8, but not interested enough to deal with that camera.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Zek said:
That's what I mean, he's always doing this spur of the moment stuff without thinking it out at all. I'm really interested in 1.8, but not interested enough to deal with that camera.
Yeah it does seem like he's like that. He is just a dude who got lucky with an interesting game. I think it's kind of endearing in a way, he's just some indie dev. It doesn't really help us to see the Q&A but at least we know he's been working on the game from what we have seen.

spirity

Ranger X said:
Trolling much?
This is called an "art style". Also, a 100% moveable/transformable world is impossible to do in Crysis graphics if you understand a thing or two about game develloping. We simply aren't there yet. Going "retro 3D" for this game was quite the perfect move imo. It totally compliments the technical limitations the nature of the game are imposing.
As with any art style, you don't HAVE to like this though. I suppose you already know that and that you also can download high res texture packs to actually make the game look worse...

I wasn't trolling! I went into Minecraft laughing at the graphics, but as I played they made more and more sense, and in the end I grew to really appreciate them.

I was kind of... the opposite of trolling. Or something. It just took me a while to get there :) The graphics are still a bit kooky, but the gameplay has won me over regardless.

Ranger X

spirity said:
I wasn't trolling! I went into Minecraft laughing at the graphics, but as I played they made more and more sense, and in the end I grew to really appreciate them.

I was kind of... the opposite of trolling. Or something. It just took me a while to get there :) The graphics are still a bit kooky, but the gameplay has won me over regardless.

Did you tell about this in your previous post? Sorry if you did and that I read you wrong.

Orlandu84

Houston3000 said:

But my gosh, what a block aesthetic! That water, as others have already commented, is simply amazing. You have given me a goal to work toward with that picture. For that I bless and curse you ;)

Dmax3901 said:
Is this a texture pack or a collection of mods or what? I want.

Water Shader Alpha - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/542215-173-water-shader-alpha/

Minecraft Shaders - http://daxnitro.wikia.com/wiki/Shaders (adds Depth of Field and World Curvature)

Look at that Shaders Wiki, you can download community made shaders and apply them. Including things like better SSAO (Ambient Occlusion), Bloom, Heat Waves, stuff like that.

Sphax PureBDCraft - http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/sphax-purebdcraft-46664/

That's the Texture pack I was talking about and the one from that photo, it's not a photorealism texture pack but I think it looks good (especially if you go with the 256 or 512 version).

You'll need the HDTextures patch which should come with MCPatcher. You can also install CTM (Connected Textures) and Wild Grass to make it look better to.

Dmax3901

Houston3000 said:
Water Shader Alpha - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/542215-173-water-shader-alpha/

Minecraft Shaders - http://daxnitro.wikia.com/wiki/Shaders (adds Depth of Field and World Curvature)

Look at that Shaders Wiki, you can download community made shaders and apply them. Including things like better SSAO (Ambient Occlusion), Bloom, Heat Waves, stuff like that.

Sphax PureBDCraft - http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/sphax-purebdcraft-46664/

That's the Texture pack I was talking about and the one from that photo, it's not a photorealism texture pack but I think it looks good (especially if you go with the 256 or 512 version).

You'll need the HDTextures patch which should come with MCPatcher. You can also install CTM (Connected Textures) and Wild Grass to make it look better to.

Thanks a bunch.

Top Bottom