• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

Apparently I've missed something :eek: What is this magical shader mod!?!?!

I need to catch up with 1.8 news too, I've just become addicted to League of Legends :(

Ranger X

sephi22

Guys, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me the visual mods CaptainSparklez is using in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm_zlr406bA

The comments say the texture pack is Dokucraft High/Elven which it probably is, but I really want to know what UI mod that is. Do texture packs and inventory UI go hand in hand?

Sorry for the noob question but I've never used a texture pack for Minecraft before.

spirity

sephi22 said:
Guys, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me the visual mods CaptainSparklez is using in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm_zlr406bA

The comments say the texture pack is Dokucraft High/Elven which it probably is, but I really want to know what UI mod that is. Do texture packs and inventory UI go hand in hand?

Sorry for the noob question but I've never used a texture pack for Minecraft before.

Yeah, that Ui is part of the High Elven texture pack too. Most texture packs from what i've seen will have their own customised UI.

Ark said:
Apparently I've missed something :eek: What is this magical shader mod!?!?!

I need to catch up with 1.8 news too, I've just become addicted to League of Legends :(

Ditto. LoL has taken me from Minecraft until 1.8 drops.

Anybody know of a mod that removes tool damage? For example, if I wanted to remove the gradual damage to pickaxes and shovels and make just one last forever instead of having them destruct after so many uses. Thanks for any tips pointing me to anything that exists.

blurredvision said:
Anybody know of a mod that removes tool damage? For example, if I wanted to remove the gradual damage to pickaxes and shovels and make just one last forever instead of having them destruct after so many uses. Thanks for any tips pointing me to anything that exists.
Just install something like Single Player Commands mod, it will give you tons of different... cheat codes if you will, there's a full list on that page. Install it like any other mod and then press T to bring up the console in-game.

The command for disabling item damage is "itemdamage" without the quotes.

Orlandu84

Does anyone know how to run Minecraft single and multiplayer on Windows 64 with 64 bit Java? I tried installing Java 7 64 the other night, and Minecraft was not happy with me :( Any advice or even a link to a relavent threat would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rapstah

Orlandu84 said:
Does anyone know how to run Minecraft single and multiplayer on Windows 64 with 64 bit Java? I tried installing Java 7 64 the other night, and Minecraft was not happy with me :( Any advice or even a link to a relavent threat would be appreciated. Thank you.
The latest version of both should really be enough. I've been playing Minecraft on 64 bit Java for over a year now with no issues.

Toppot

Orlandu84 said:

Try uninstalling 32 bit java first, then installing 64 bit

Orlandu84

Toppot said:
Try uninstalling 32 bit java first, then installing 64 bit
Thank you for the quick replies, Toppot and Rapstah. I did uninstall Java 32 bit first. I then installed Java 7 64 (JRE). Should I try the Developer's Kit instead of the Standard Edition? I run Windows 7 Home Edition Premium 64 bit.

On your point, Toppot, you have given me the good idea of doing more research into installing Java correctly. Maybe, I did not install it correctly after all or somehow did not uninstall Java 32 in the proper manner.

Toppot

Orlandu84 said:
Thank you for the quick replies, Toppot and Rapstah. I did uninstall Java 32 bit first. I then installed Java 7 64 (JRE). Should I try the Developer's Kit instead of the Standard Edition? I run Windows 7 Home Edition Premium 64 bit.

On your point, Toppot, you have given me the good idea of doing more research into installing Java correctly. Maybe, I did not install it correctly after all or somehow did not uninstall Java 32 in the proper manner.

Should be no need to install the developer kit. I run exactly the same OS and have 64 bit on my computer fine.

Might be you need to restart between java uninstalls and installs, uninstall any java, restart, install 64 bit, restart and have no programes open that run using Java while you're doing it.

eemijun

Neo Member
Just got minecraft and I just wanted to jump in here and introduce myself because I might be playing on the server with you guys and posting more in the forum, if you'll allow me.

Glasswork

eemijun said:
Just got minecraft and I just wanted to jump in here and introduce myself because I might be playing on the server with you guys and posting more in the forum, if you'll allow me.
You've kinda picked a bad time, everyone's anticipating 1.8 next week (I think), so the server is mostly empty :\
You can still have fun in SP, which imo is the best way to start in minecraft, no guides or anything.

Xun

Glasswork said:
You've kinda picked a bad time, everyone's anticipating 1.8 next week (I think), so the server is mostly empty :\
You can still have fun in SP, which imo is the best way to start in minecraft, no guides or anything.
Do we have any idea what we're doing when 1.8 hits?

Are we still going to have it reset?

Toppot

eemijun said:

Well welcome to the world of Minecraft =]

Feel free to look around the server and use the warps (Type /warp into the chat box and it will give you a list of warps like /warp library) Then if you want to be able to build etc just PM Ark on gaf with your Minecraft username and he can make you a citizen.

eemijun

Neo Member
I've played on a friends account, so I'm used to the basics of the game. I'm just jumping into the server to check it out, so hopefully I can play more when the update hits.

Xun

celebi23 said:
I didn't realize Adventure mode is going to replace the survival mode. Why can't we have both?
In a way what's the point?

Adventure would be able to do everything survival can do.

You'd still be able to play the game the same way (in theory).

celebi23 said:
I didn't realize Adventure mode is going to replace the survival mode. Why can't we have both?

The "Adventure" aspect consists of a few new types of randomly generated features to encounter like the villages. If all you want to do is gather resources and build with them, then absolutely nothing has changed for you.

Glasswork

Xun said:
Do we have any idea what we're doing when 1.8 hits?

Are we still going to have it reset?
Well, Notch said in this video that 1.8 will be here in a week or two.
The video also has some more 1.8 footage, nothing new though, so spoilers.
And there won't be a reset, instead Ark will create a new spawn far away from the old one, although honestly, 1.8 adds so much to the terrain gen that I don't think I can play in that swampy mess anymore :V

Rapstah

I wonder how the terrain generator will handle merging new terrain with old. Will there be odd edges between chunks as we reach the old world from 1.8 spawn?

Venfayth

Rapstah said:
I wonder how the terrain generator will handle merging new terrain with old. Will there be odd edges between chunks as we reach the old world from 1.8 spawn?

I think that someone (either notch or jeb) confirmed that the old/new chunks will not mesh well.

celebi23

Xun said:
In a way what's the point?

Adventure would be able to do everything survival can do.

You'd still be able to play the game the same way (in theory).

fredrancour said:
The "Adventure" aspect consists of a few new types of randomly generated features to encounter like the villages. If all you want to do is gather resources and build with them, then absolutely nothing has changed for you.

I probably should've elaborated my point. I meant that the way hunger now penalizes your health if it gets too low. That's actually my main complaint with 1.8. I actually do like the vast majority of changes in 1.8

Ark

Ok, I'm going to ask again now that we've had a bunch of 1.8 news hit thanks to PAX Prime.

Do we want to reset the NeoCraft map? Allowing us to generate perfectly bug-free (give or take) terrain and getting everyone onto a clean sheet.

Because lets be honest, a vast majority of buildings around spawn are built by people who don't even play on the server anymore :l

Ark said:
Ok, I'm going to ask again now that we've had a bunch of 1.8 news hit thanks to PAX Prime.

Do we want to reset the NeoCraft map? Allowing us to generate perfectly bug-free (give or take) terrain and getting everyone onto a clean sheet.

Because lets be honest, a vast majority of buildings around spawn are built by people who don't even play on the server anymore :l
Wat sort of bugs would there be?

Woorloog

Banned
Yes, let's reset NeoCraft complety. Well the map anyway, i want to keep my invetory full of items... Not really a requirement, would be just nice.

Ok guys, I want to buy Minecraft, but I have a few important questions.

Once you buy it, can you install it on only one computer? I have a fairly old laptop but I am planning on getting a Mac soon. I didn't want to install it on here if I wouldn't be able to install on my new comp as well.

Also, is the deal about only having to buy it once while in beta is still in place?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ark said:

yes.

limlark

Ark said:
Wipe my items and I will never return. ಠ_ಠ

EDIT:
Well if you look at the map, there are chunk errors everywhere...Literally...all over the place.
Am I the only one who likes those?

celebi23

Ark said:

What happened with the idea of having a warp between the old & new maps? If we could do something like that, I'd be all for resetting NeoCraft's map. Oh & if we could keep our items, that would be awesome.

Xun

Ark said:

I'm personally up for it.

We can start anew and rebuild some of what has been built, but better and (hopefully) higher!

One problem I found with spawn on the server is how unorganised the place is, it's the main reason I didn't play on the server initially (and also Timan's server taking up a lot of my time! :p)

Ark

Do we really want the old world? I mean sure, you'll have all your items, but I'd met my left shoe than almost no one goes back there other than to explore people's buildings.

Having thought about it further, creating a new warp would increase the file size dramatically (over time). Considering we've already over 500mb the backups and map uploads are taking longer and longer, even to the point where Toki might run out of space on his Dropbox account to host the map.

If you're concerned with map file size, go ahead and make a new map. I know you like to post the file size every now and then when someone goes off exploring :p Just be sure to upload the map somewhere for us, and I'm sure everyone would be cool.

If you're not concerned with map file size, the "new spawn extremely far away" idea is still OK in my books. Having access to our items we already have would be nice. Though, I wonder how the server map would render? Or if the guy rendering the maps would even want to render them, because I'm sure moving spawn so far away would make the rendering times even longer...

IMO, new map would probably be quicker and less janky in the long run.

I don't mind losing my treehouse that I JUST GOT DONE BUILDING THE OTHER DAY. But if I were to lose my items, specifically my stack and ahalf of obsidian, along with my diamond tools....
LLShC.gif

Ranger X

Why does the question comes back all the time? We DO have the perfect solution that pleases everyone already: Keeping the old world but moving the spawn far away. Old world reachable via warps or portals or whatever equivalent.

This way, someone who wants to revisit the old world can, someone who'd want to start fresh can, someone who doesn't want to lose his items won't. Perfect solution!
I personally want to go back in the old world from time and time, I also want to go finish my cave I started exploring + I don't want to lose my items. I really don't want this server to reset if there's a solution that works fine for everybody.

As for the space problem, can it really be? Let's say the size doubles from now eventually what happens? It's the only prob I can see.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Playing single player. Music off, sound on. Out of nowhere, this strange sound effect - almost like the sound it makes when you portal to the nether - starts playing really loud. Right after that, I hear a woman's voice say:

"Jay, I told you to clean the garage, not play with duct tape!".

I had no strange tabs open, no other applications either. Has anyone else heard this?

Glasswork

TheCongressman1 said:
Ok guys, I want to buy Minecraft, but I have a few important questions.

Once you buy it, can you install it on only one computer? I have a fairly old laptop but I am planning on getting a Mac soon. I didn't want to install it on here if I wouldn't be able to install on my new comp as well.

Also, is the deal about only having to buy it once while in beta is still in place?

You can install it on any computer, however your maps and stuff are computer-bound, so you'd have to upload the world folder, download it in the other computer and copy it manually into the minecraft folder.
The one where you get all the future updates for free? honestly I think that was just alpha, but I might be wrong

As for the world, as I said, seeing the new terrain generator I could never go back to that swampy mess, to hell with Al-Medina! I'LL REBUILD IT MYSELF!

Pseudo_Sam said:
Playing single player. Music off, sound on. Out of nowhere, this strange sound effect - almost like the sound it makes when you portal to the nether - starts playing really loud. Right after that, I hear a woman's voice say:

I had no strange tabs open, no other applications either. Has anyone else heard this?
...what the fuck?
I have no idea what you're talking about :|

Pseudo_Sam said:

A quick Google search later...

spuit*11

Banned
Ranger X said:
Why does the question comes back all the time? We DO have the perfect solution that pleases everyone already: Keeping the old world but moving the spawn far away. Old world reachable via warps or portals or whatever equivalent.

This way, someone who wants to revisit the old world can, someone who'd want to start fresh can, someone who doesn't want to lose his items won't. Perfect solution!
I personally want to go back in the old world from time and time, I also want to go finish my cave I started exploring + I don't want to lose my items. I really don't want this server to reset if there's a solution that works fine for everybody.

As for the space problem, can it really be? Let's say the size doubles from now eventually what happens? It's the only prob I can see.
This.

... Again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I say yes to a new world. Game is more enjoyable IMO, when you don't have this massive amount of stuff already built.

I also am in the oppion that we should just drop the old Inventory too. Fresh start all the way.

Glasswork

Drkirby said:
I say yes to a new world. Game is more enjoyable IMO, when you don't have this massive amount of stuff already built.

I also am in the oppion that we should just drop the old Inventory too. Fresh start all the way.
Although I know some people will be against this, I think it'll be fun to start anew :eek:

Honestly, I kinda want this new spawn/world to be a bit more organized, I know people would rather build whatever they want but having an RPG-esque world, with named mountains, rivers, cultures and architectural styles might be fun, but it's probably too ambitious for such a small server :s
Is it possible, maybe after everyone's had their 1.8 fun, to pick a new continent and do something like that? or is it too ambitious?

Top Bottom