• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

bengraven

View from spawn with the water shaders turned on.

U2eox.jpg

B23sa.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I got sucked down a huge Minecraft hole today. I played for like 5 hours and now I'm feeling sad and unfulfilled.

I'm in the process of making a pretty sweet underwater glass home base with nothing but a tree growing up out of it though. I want to put a bed on top of the tree, and then just have a boat next to it.

Jasoco

Banned
Watching the video. Oh my sweet jesus. The lighting effects. The particles. The towns. Fucking holy shit awesome. I WANT IT NOWWWWWW!!! I hope it doesn't require a really powerful computer for this stuff.

I'm only like 5 minutes into the video.

Also, re: the above picture. I'd love water reflections. That would rock.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Where is this video at? I don't see a link. Thanks!

Jasoco

Banned
A few pages back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5epUsP3IgKY

It's terrible quality. I would have hoped Notch would have set up a recording program on the computer so we could see it full quality, but oh well.

Mine shafts? Randomly generated mineshafts complete with tracks and support beams? Goddamn, 1.8 will have everything! Still watching...

Dmax3901 said:
Thanks a bunch.
Grinchy said:
That water shader looks amazing...

http://i.imgur.com/eIzgB.jpg

gonna try out the others soon
bengraven said:
View from spawn with the water shaders turned on.

http://i.imgur.com/U2eox.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/B23sa.jpg
Haha, damn you guys are fast. I haven't even tried it yet, I was just reading about all that stuff at work and posting it :)

Anyways, made some progress on my SSP World... landscaped that new building I made the other night, added a watchtower, and built a connecting hall. For those unaware continued from these posts: 1, 2, 3, 4

Front of Residential Quarter and connecting hallway.

View from bridge and view from the watchtower.

Fine... I'll join the cool party

Grinchy

Banned
Houston3000 said:
Haha, damn you guys are fast. I haven't even tried it yet, I was just reading about all that stuff at work and posting it :)
haha, I almost never mess with any kind of mods out of pure laziness and because of the unpredictability of mods, but that one was so easy to install that I had no excuse but to try it out.

Awesome SP world btw

Hylian7

Houston3000 said:
Water Shader Alpha - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/542215-173-water-shader-alpha/

Minecraft Shaders - http://daxnitro.wikia.com/wiki/Shaders (adds Depth of Field and World Curvature)

Look at that Shaders Wiki, you can download community made shaders and apply them. Including things like better SSAO (Ambient Occlusion), Bloom, Heat Waves, stuff like that.

Sphax PureBDCraft - http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/sphax-purebdcraft-46664/

That's the Texture pack I was talking about and the one from that photo, it's not a photorealism texture pack but I think it looks good (especially if you go with the 256 or 512 version).

You'll need the HDTextures patch which should come with MCPatcher. You can also install CTM (Connected Textures) and Wild Grass to make it look better to.
The directions for installing Minecraft Shaders don't make a lick of sense and broke my Minecraft. Can someone point me in the right direction?

What I've been working on recently, some WIP pics.

At some point in the past Aliens visited my Vikings and left this temple behind when they left.

9vudd.png

It goes down a long way, a few blocks above bedrock.

T0GMz.png

Looking down from the top.

ypmlN.png

Looking up

EQu1c.png

Not really sure yet what I am going ot do with the bottom level, some sort of garden/grove thing I think.

bengraven

Man, I already hate spiders. Now they poison you? :/

Also, silverfish sound great...I hope they swarm out at you.

Man, mining dungeons is going to suck now. ha

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So if a particularly attractive fellow wanted to build a GIANT TREE, what would the best way to go about it be?

Toppot

Jtwo said:
Ok, and what about the foliage?

Here is the huge tree on the server, to look at and see how its made

uGgxJ.png

The trick to foliage is hiding small blocks of wood in the leaves. Leaf blocks (Gathered by using shears) must be placed within 4 blocks of a wood block to survive, otherwise they disappear.

Would interesting to see a huge tree of the other varieties. If you would like some sapling for trees to build a forest you can harvest let me know, I have stacks of normal and white tree, and some of the winter tree's.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa shit, How is a map like that made?
Also, what is the closest warp point?

Ranger X

IGN said:
Currently food is used in Minecraft to instantly gain health, but now food is necessary to exist. A hunger meter is being added, and the only way to gain health is to max out your meter. This means there's no more button mashing the food key at the last minute in a heated battle, as consuming takes time, with health regeneration taking even longer.

Oh snap!
I personally like that but there's a crowd of players that will whine here. lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Toppot said:
It uses tectonics, its the NeoCraft server
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/Layerneo/neolayer.html

Its just like Google Maps, lots of images at different resolutions knitted together.

Al Menia(sp?) the desert city, is the closet Warp point I think, or I can come on Minecraft if your on now and teleport you there cos I'm near it.

Booty Bay warp would be closer I think. I haven't seen that huge tree yet, gonna have to have a gander at it myself.

Toppot

Mengy said:
Booty Bay warp would be closer I think. I haven't seen that huge tree yet, gonna have to have a gander at it myself.

Ah yes your right, Booty is closer. The tree is very impressive from the outside, bit bland inside. Be careful though, it creates a lot of shade so mobs spawn by it.

I got this game at around 1.3. I thought it was very good but saw an almost unlimited amount of potential in it. And while mods help a lot, no potential is as good as that reached in the main, shipped game developed only by Notch and his team. 1.8 fulfills part of that potential. NPC cities with quests are great. Food playing a bigger role, along with more and more food items, is a very welcome addition to the base game, although it existed in mod already. Even in peaceful difficulty it'll play be a part of it now. Tweaks and additions to the biomes are great. Add the water shader mod and the game is now much more beautiful than in 1.3. Bow changes are great. I like bows. The new enemies are great if you like survival.

What I hope to see in 1.8:

- NPC villages that vary in size. I hope I find some big villages, along with some lonely farms. They'll be randomly generated, but I hope Notch adds some vriables to how they're generated.
- Stores? Stores where you can trade items for other items. I did this in my friends only 1.3 server. I created a currency, and all the items you didn't need you could sell for gold, and with gold buy items. Of course that rare items were extremely expensive and you had to sell a lot of your stuff to buy them, while others were very cheap. But I'm not sure abut creating a currency in single player.
- NPCs that wander around digging, exploring, not just in the villages themselves.

Edit: I haven't played since 1.3, I made the correct choice I believe.

Jasoco

Banned
Not for me anymore. Now it just freezes at the "Logging in" part and on my server's Terminal it says "took too long to log in". Trying to go to minecraft.net just gets stuck too. I assume PAX did something to it. Maybe they're getting so many new purchases because of 1.8 coming out. Or.... did 1.8 come out and we don't know it??? :eek:

Toppot

Jasoco said:
Not for me anymore. Now it just freezes at the "Logging in" part and on my server's Terminal it says "took too long to log in". Trying to go to minecraft.net just gets stuck too. I assume PAX did something to it. Maybe they're getting so many new purchases because of 1.8 coming out. Or.... did 1.8 come out and we don't know it??? :eek:

Definitely not 1.8 =P Since the server is down I can't lookup where it is, one theory is its in America and being hit by Hurricane Irene, but I think the sever is probably in Europe. I don't think its the site getting pounded either, would of happened when they had the 'two for one' on the game.

Probably a random incident where the sever is located, which i hope they fix soon =[

Will the 1.8 changes affect all of my single player stuff and my private multiplayer server? I really don't want to have to deal with a hunger meter or anything in either of those, but anywhere else would be fine.

Toppot

Professor Beef said:
Will the 1.8 changes affect all of my single player stuff and my private multiplayer server? I really don't want to have to deal with a hunger meter or anything in either of those, but anywhere else would be fine.
If you don't update your client or your private server then you won't have any problems

If you do you 1.8 you will need a new map to create the new/better/bigger biomes. If you stay with a 1.7 map then it will use the same 1.7 land generator

There will be mods to take out stuff you don't like probably so you can tweak it as you like.

EDIT:
ITS BACK ONLINE!!!!

Ranger X

Toppot said:
If you don't update your client or your private server then you won't have any problems

If you do you 1.8 you will need a new map to create the new/better/bigger biomes. If you stay with a 1.7 map then it will use the same 1.7 land generator

There will be mods to take out stuff you don't like probably so you can tweak it as you like.

EDIT:
ITS BACK ONLINE!!!!

Well, you don't exactly need a new map. Any new chunk of your old map with generate in 1.8 fashion if your client is on 1.8. You could also delete chunks of your old map an regenerate them with the 1.8 client.

Toppot

Ranger X said:
Well, you don't exactly need a new map. Any new chunk of your old map with generate in 1.8 fashion if your client is on 1.8. You could also delete chunks of your old map an regenerate them with the 1.8 client.

I think not, Notch said you would need a new map on that 52 minute stream he did yesterday, and explained that old maps would still generate as an old map.

Glasswork

Damn, just installed that water mod, it's actually not as laggy as I thought it would be, barely noticeable.
Here's a picture of Ark's ship :eek:
prZ5Il.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Toppot said:
I think not, Notch said you would need a new map on that 52 minute stream he did yesterday, and explained that old maps would still generate as an old map.

Nah, he clarified it later that old maps will be fine, you just need to explore new areas and generate new chunks to get the new 1.8 terrain and features. About halfway through the stream I think.

Toppot

Mengy said:
Nah, he clarified it later that old maps will be fine, you just need to explore new areas and generate new chunks to get the new 1.8 terrain and features. About halfway through the stream I think.

Ah ok, my bad, sorry all

Top Bottom