• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Glasswork

MJLord said:
A new map might breath some fresh life into the server, not to mention the new places to explore ! :p
I'm probably gonna spend weeks just making and exploring maps :p
Gaaah those continents look so good!

Glasswork said:
You can install it on any computer, however your maps and stuff are computer-bound, so you'd have to upload the world folder, download it in the other computer and copy it manually into the minecraft folder.

Ah, perfect!

Glasswork said:
The one where you get all the future updates for free? honestly I think that was just alpha, but I might be wrong|

I mean, it still says so on the site, but I had a friend try to tell me that was no longer the case. I really don't want to pay around 20 bucks for a beta, then pay for the release as well... That just doesn't seem right.

I started trying to mess with mods yesterday

Damn, trying to get Better Than Wolves and The Aether mod working together is just not working for me. They're technically not compatible (since BTW uses Forge and Aether uses ShockAhPI) but apparently if you install them in a certain order and then replace a couple of files you can get it working. I just keep ending up with a black screen though :(. If anyone is using both those mods together right now any help would be appreciated.

Houston3000 said:
Just install something like Single Player Commands mod, it will give you tons of different... cheat codes if you will, there's a full list on that page. Install it like any other mod and then press T to bring up the console in-game.

The command for disabling item damage is "itemdamage" without the quotes.

Is there anything like this that I can install on my server?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
TheCongressman1 said:
Ah, perfect!

I mean, it still says so on the site, but I had a friend try to tell me that was no longer the case. I really don't want to pay around 20 bucks for a beta, then pay for the release as well... That just doesn't seem right.

Notch said something like that, yeah. But if it says:

Purchases during the development of the game are discounted and include the full game upon release.

this on their site, I think you are safe. He changes stuff all the time, but usually keeps promises made somewhere on his websites.

blurredvision said:
Is there anything like this that I can install on my server?
I don't know really, I don't have much experience with mods like that.

As far as I know it won't work in multiplayer. You need a server with bukkit equipped with various plugins to mimic it's functionality. Seems the mod comes with WorldEdit which you can plug into bukkit and, besides that, I'm sure there's some other command list style plugins you can install.

I've been on the server for months, and I've built much...

and I say we start fresh. Now that we all know each other and are better builders, we can have a ton of fun building the new world and exploring it together as a community.

Ranger X

Drkirby said:
I say yes to a new world. Game is more enjoyable IMO, when you don't have this massive amount of stuff already built.

I also am in the oppion that we should just drop the old Inventory too. Fresh start all the way.

But if you can't see those already built building, what is the difference between a new world and keeping the old one? It would be the same because the spawn would be moved far away from the current location where stuff is built already.

MJLord said:
A new map might breath some fresh life into the server, not to mention the new places to explore ! :p

Just tackling the general opinion again...
Keeping the old world but having a new spawn in a completely new and far away place would totally make it fresh and with new places to explore. So why is the new map important in your case here?

Ranger X

vas_a_morir said:
I've been on the server for months, and I've built much...

and I say we start fresh. Now that we all know each other and are better builders, we can have a ton of fun building the new world and exploring it together as a community.

Again, how is keeping the old world preventing this to happen? There's no difference, just don't ever warp back in the old countries if you don't want to see them.
What more does having a new map can bring us? I want to hear real arguments, something that isn't possible by keeping the old world.

notsol337

marked forever
I say reset. I'd love to be involved in a GAF server from day one. Honestly, half the reason I'm never on neocraft is because gathering materials is getting boring, but I think I could stomach it just to see the progress.

Ranger X said:
Again, how is keeping the old world preventing this to happen? There's no difference, just don't ever warp back in the old countries if you don't want to see them.
What more does having a new map can bring us? I want to hear real arguments, something that isn't possible by keeping the old world.

Having all the new features without doubling/tripling the file size of the current world. Bandwidth isn't free.

Locke562

TheCongressman1 said:
Ah, perfect!

With the beta version the full release and all post release updates will be free. What they'll be charging for will be dlc or expansions, and that's not even for certain.

Ranger X

notsol337 said:
Having all the new features without doubling/tripling the file size of the current world. Bandwidth isn't free.

Actually it only cost more space on the server. It doesnt cost you a penny more bandwidth.
I did bring up the space concern about the server too, it's the only possible problem I can see.

I can think of a few technical issues with keeping the old map...

Map file size. I don't know if there's a limit on how much the server will store or not, but Ark always seems point it out when someone goes exploring and adds 50mb to it... So it may be an issue, I don't know.

Server map. If we move the spawn point far away, the server map is either going to be zoomed waaay far out or too much of a hassle to move to the new location/old location and look around. Plus poor Toki will have to render the map and the distance would probably add a long time to the rendering.

I had another one but it slipped my mind because I'm tired, lol.

bengraven

Ark said:
Do we really want the old world? I mean sure, you'll have all your items, but I'd met my left shoe than almost no one goes back there other than to explore people's buildings.

Having thought about it further, creating a new warp would increase the file size dramatically (over time). Considering we've already over 500mb the backups and map uploads are taking longer and longer, even to the point where Toki might run out of space on his Dropbox account to host the map.

If you want to wipe, I will support you and stick around.

That said: I would prefer not to: I've played on 2gig maps before, 4x what we have now, with 10-15 people on at all times and we didn't have too many issues except the occasional chunk error like we already have now.

My suggestion is to test out a warp solution with the ability to move from one world to another before 1.8 comes out as that will please everyone...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wow that server is impressive. Just started playing yesterday, got a lot of work to do on my humble cave.

Is the server working fine right now?

I just moved back onto campus and it's timing out when I try to connect.

I just want to know if it's on my end or the server's end.

Alright, well I guess I'm going to get it as soon as I can. Thanks for the help, guys!

I'll probably start playing on the server when you decide whether or not to start clean.

mcrae

Ark said:
Do we really want the old world? I mean sure, you'll have all your items, but I'd met my left shoe than almost no one goes back there other than to explore people's buildings.

Having thought about it further, creating a new warp would increase the file size dramatically (over time). Considering we've already over 500mb the backups and map uploads are taking longer and longer, even to the point where Toki might run out of space on his Dropbox account to host the map.

thats the precise reason to keep it

Jhriad

Xun said:
We can start anew and rebuild some of what has been built, but better and (hopefully) higher!

No thanks. Multiverse > Restart. I've restarted enough times from the many times prior GAF servers have disappeared that restarting is the largest deterrent to me playing MC at all anymore.

Ranger X said:
Why does the question comes back all the time? We DO have the perfect solution that pleases everyone already: Keeping the old world but moving the spawn far away. Old world reachable via warps or portals or whatever equivalent.

This way, someone who wants to revisit the old world can, someone who'd want to start fresh can, someone who doesn't want to lose his items won't. Perfect solution!
I personally want to go back in the old world from time and time, I also want to go finish my cave I started exploring + I don't want to lose my items. I really don't want this server to reset if there's a solution that works fine for everybody.

As for the space problem, can it really be? Let's say the size doubles from now eventually what happens? It's the only prob I can see.

^
Agreed. Why do we keep messing with this?

Toppot

I prefer the multiverse idea. It's the best of all worlds. 1.7 map stays as is, and we also get a shiney new 1.8 world. We can discontinue the 'google' map for 1.7 and have a new one for the 1.8 world. Assuming that there's enough space on the server to hold all the worlds.

If worse case is we HAVE to start a new world just 1.8 I would like, like others, to be able to take over resources, chests full of resources I've spent many hours collecting.

Inferno313 said:
Is the server working fine right now?

I just moved back onto campus and it's timing out when I try to connect.

I just want to know if it's on my end or the server's end.

Does your campus use a proxy for internet? (usually you have to change your browsers to work and other internet programs that have their own settings, like Skype). If so you may need to use this program:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249450-tool-minecraftproxy14-1-beta-15-compatible-400-downs/

It hasn't been updated for a bit but should still work fine, just have to put in the name of the proxy server your campus use and the port, plus SOCKS SOCK5 HTML etc

There are other looooong way you can go about it if you google but this worked for me a couple of months ago.

EVIL

I for once would not mind starting all over, in a new universe for 1.8, Gives it much more of a community feel, protecting each other with wooden swords the first few nights. all huddled up in one large hole :p

cozy ;)

untill glass or ark messes it up by constantly playing with the new day/night warp tool

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:
Ok, I'm going to ask again now that we've had a bunch of 1.8 news hit thanks to PAX Prime.

Do we want to reset the NeoCraft map? Allowing us to generate perfectly bug-free (give or take) terrain and getting everyone onto a clean sheet.

Because lets be honest, a vast majority of buildings around spawn are built by people who don't even play on the server anymore :l

I have to be honest, after seeing the hour video from PAX, I am leaning towards a full reset and a completely new map for the server, with the old map available to us as a download.

Originally I wanted to keep the current map and just start a new spawn far away, but after seeing the huge oceans and continents and improved biomes my mind has changed. I would rather have 500mb of completely new 1.8 generation to fill and explore than 500+mb of mixed generation filled with chunk errors and such. Because lets be honest, file size for the map is going to be an issue if we keep the current map. I would love to be allowed to go off exploring the new 1.8 generation on the server searching for NPC villages and ravines and new continents and such. A fresh map would allow us the luxury of that, while a new spawn on the old map will have us fighting to keep the file size down and limiting exploration. I'd rather start anew personally and release the exploration shackles we enforce now.

Just imagine, instead of themed towns, we could have themed continents and islands separated by oceans or rivers.

Sure, we lose all that we have built already. Sure, we lose all of our inventories and supplies. But come on, half of the fun of the game is doing just that: building anew and hoarding building materials and supplies. I for one don't mind starting over, I'll have fun either way. In fact, I'd kind of enjoy it.

Once 1.8 hits I plan on building a new main base for myself in the new 1.8 area, a mountain lair castle with a huge underground complex, and I'm never going back to the old map generation again after that. I want to explore rivers, ravines, continents, villages, new dungeons, I have no reason to go back to the old map except for sightseeing, which I can do just as easily on a downloaded map in single player.

But whatever we decide, I'm still playing on Neocraft and I'll still donate to keep it running. But if we had a vote, I'd vote for a total reset and a fresh map.

Xun

Mengy said:
I have to be honest, after seeing the hour video from PAX, I am leaning towards a full reset and a completely new map for the server, with the old map available to us as a download.

Originally I wanted to keep the current map and just start a new spawn far away, but after seeing the huge oceans and continents and improved biomes my mind has changed. I would rather have 500mb of completely new 1.8 generation to fill and explore than 500+mb of mixed generation filled with chunk errors and such. Because lets be honest, file size for the map is going to be an issue if we keep the current map. I would love to be allowed to go off exploring the new 1.8 generation on the server searching for NPC villages and ravines and new continents and such. A fresh map would allow us the luxury of that, while a new spawn on the old map will have us fighting to keep the file size down and limiting exploration. I'd rather start anew personally and release the exploration shackles we enforce now.

Just imagine, instead of themed towns, we could have themed continents and islands separated by oceans or rivers.

Sure, we lose all that we have built already. Sure, we lose all of our inventories and supplies. But come on, half of the fun of the game is doing just that: building anew and hoarding building materials and supplies. I for one don't mind starting over, I'll have fun either way. In fact, I'd kind of enjoy it.

Once 1.8 hits I plan on building a new main base for myself in the new 1.8 area, a mountain lair castle with a huge underground complex, and I'm never going back to the old map generation again after that. I want to explore rivers, ravines, continents, villages, new dungeons, I have no reason to go back to the old map except for sightseeing, which I can do just as easily on a downloaded map in single player.

But whatever we decide, I'm still playing on Neocraft and I'll still donate to keep it running. But if we had a vote, I'd vote for a total reset and a fresh map.
Exactly.

I already have an island fully worked out, it'll be epic! Ha.

Besides regarding the items I'm sure we can find a way to make people happy.

Mikor

This discussion always comes up right around update time whenever new worldgen features are added. Ultimately, inevitably, a new world will be started.

MC is still in a state of active development, as everyone in this thread should already be aware. Don't forget that you're still playing a pre-release game, and sometimes wipes like that are necessary. As I'm sure others in the thread have stated, half the fun of Minecraft is gathering and exploring and building up your creations - everything left in the "old" part of your server will eventually become abandoned as newer and better constructions are made in the "new" world.

So, I can't connect to neocraft through my campus network. But I've heard Hamachi is a piece of software that will get around that for me.

Can anyone tell me how I can use Hamachi to connect to Neocraft, if that's possible? Sorry for sounding like a newb. :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mikor said:
This discussion always comes up right around update time whenever new worldgen features are added. Ultimately, inevitably, a new world will be started.

I just feel that, as far as times for resetting the server goes, 1.8 is an ideal time to do it. With all of the additions and generation and biome changes, and also with all of the biome and chunk errors our current server has, and with 1.8 being the last major update to Minecraft for the foreseeable future, this just seems like a great time to restart the server. The biome weather errors on Neocraft bother me, I hate seeing it snow on my desert sand tower. I hate having it rain on only half of my ranch house. I hate snow on the ground of Booty Bay. I hate it raining in snowy areas and the snow never regenerating. This just seems like a good time, IMHO.

Esiquio

ArtistDude88 said:

WOWOWOWWOWOW. This post blew my mind because I heard this in TERRARIA the first day I played it (a few days ago). Before it happened, the music stopped and all this really creepy music started playing, then that audio sample. It was late and I thought I was losing my mind. Thanks for this post, really.

bengraven

Mikor said:

MC is still in a state of active development, as everyone in this thread should already be aware. Don't forget that you're still playing a pre-release game, and sometimes wipes like that are necessary. As I'm sure others in the thread have stated, half the fun of Minecraft is gathering and exploring and building up your creations - everything left in the "old" part of your server will eventually become abandoned as newer and better constructions are made in the "new" world.

Hoarding: Minecraft Edition.

Bob from Tallahasee: "I...I had three stacks of mossy cobble...I mean, they're so rare on a...multiplayer server where everyone has farmed the dungeons...and now they're gone and I'm empty..."

Segnit

Banned
Possible Solution
One solution could be to move the spawn far away at first. Then for a week or two allow for migration of items to take place, followed by deleting the old realm from the map and putting it up for download for anyone feeling nostalgic about it.

What this solution does:
+ Helps everyone keep their items.
+ Cuts down 500MB from the file size of the new post 1.7 world.

Politics of Neocraft
Let me also add that having warp points for different cities puts a limiter on the sense of adventure. The rules of the land should encourage the building of rail systems, roads, ports, bridges and safety havens. The problem is that when there are warp points for cities there is simply no incentive to do that that entire communal infrastructure thing.

Building far away cities should be a logistical challenge as much it is a creative one. It goes without saying that the farther your city is out from the spawn the more you need to consider food, transport and occupied intermediary settlements for emergency supplies should you need any.

Booty Bay, Arkyoto and Al Medina are pretty places that you only visit once. There is no mystery about them and - in my eyes at least - no real sense of weight or wonder. Knowing that someone struggled to work out the logistics makes all the difference in the world.

Removing warp points would have desired knock on effects too. For instance, as a result of there being only limited safe land, property value surrounding the spawn point would skyrocket. This would then necessitate the introduction of taxes. Pay taxes in spawn city and you keep your land and your building. Avoid paying or even playing minecraft for prolonged periods then somebody could take your place to build on top of your land or even completely reconstruct on your plot.

Taxes could take on many forms, one may offer his time to be a builder minion of the city council in return for tax write-offs. Another may opt to pay taxes in gold or diamonds. Ultimately the city council should decide how much and in what forms must taxes be paid. The whole idea is to eliminate the extremely static cities we have at the moment. Static = boring.

What's more, the city council could use the a) material taken from taxes and b) the labour force received from the write-offs to commission massive projects.

I think the architects of NeoCraft have done a fine job building the existing world but it's the politicians of the land who've failed the commoners in the land.

Toki1776

Well, I know I haven't been on much lately, but I kinda fall into the new map camp. I almost certainly won't be able to host a decent map if we put a new spawn far away, and the old map does have some issues, mostly due to the random biome switch, and terrain generating differently last time I trimmed it. Once again, though, I've not been on often lately, and really didn't build a whole lot when I was, so that may be swaying my opinion a bit...

Segnit said:
Possible Solution
One solution could be to move the spawn far away at first. Then for a week or two allow for migration of items to take place, followed by deleting the old realm from the map and putting it up for download for anyone feeling nostalgic about it.

What this solution does:

This is an interesting idea..

Jhriad

As I've only been mining currently the only thing I really care about are my materials and the time I've put into gathering them. Been wanting to play some more but with this discussion open again I'm not about to waste time gathering more materials just to restart again.

Segnit said:
Possible Solution

Why bother moving the spawn at all if you're going to a new map? Allow "migration" of mats that are 'verified' on the old map for the first week the new map is up. Would probably quiet a lot of opposition to the move.

Toppot said:
I prefer the multiverse idea. It's the best of all worlds. 1.7 map stays as is, and we also get a shiney new 1.8 world. We can discontinue the 'google' map for 1.7 and have a new one for the 1.8 world. Assuming that there's enough space on the server to hold all the worlds.

If worse case is we HAVE to start a new world just 1.8 I would like, like others, to be able to take over resources, chests full of resources I've spent many hours collecting.

Does your campus use a proxy for internet? (usually you have to change your browsers to work and other internet programs that have their own settings, like Skype). If so you may need to use this program:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249450-tool-minecraftproxy14-1-beta-15-compatible-400-downs/

It hasn't been updated for a bit but should still work fine, just have to put in the name of the proxy server your campus use and the port, plus SOCKS SOCK5 HTML etc

There are other looooong way you can go about it if you google but this worked for me a couple of months ago.

I don't know if we use a proxy server. We use something called SafeConnect. Where we have to use a browser and log in with a user name and password before we can access the internet. But once we log in, we're clear to do whatever we want. I've never had to change settings to get Skype, or anything like that, to work.

Ark

Segnit said:
Possible Solution

What this solution does:

Politics of Neocraft
Let me also add that having warp points for different cities puts a limiter on the sense of adventure. The rules of the land should encourage the building of rail systems, roads, ports, bridges and safety havens. The problem is that when there are warp points for cities there is simply no incentive to do that that entire communal infrastructure thing.

Building far away cities should be a logistical challenge as much it is a creative one. It goes without saying that the farther your city is out from the spawn the more you need to consider food, transport and occupied intermediary settlements for emergency supplies should you need any.

Booty Bay, Arkyoto and Al Medina are pretty places that you only visit once. There is no mystery about them and - in my eyes at least - no real sense of weight or wonder. Knowing that someone struggled to work out the logistics makes all the difference in the world.

Removing warp points would have desired knock on effects too. For instance, as a result of there being only limited safe land, property value surrounding the spawn point would skyrocket. This would then necessitate the introduction of taxes. Pay taxes in spawn city and you keep your land and your building. Avoid paying or even playing minecraft for prolonged periods then somebody could take your place to build on top of your land or even completely reconstruct on your plot.

Taxes could take on many forms, one may offer his time to be a builder minion of the city council in return for tax write-offs. Another may opt to pay taxes in gold or diamonds. Ultimately the city council should decide how much and in what forms must taxes be paid. The whole idea is to eliminate the extremely static cities we have at the moment. Static = boring.

What's more, the city council could use the a) material taken from taxes and b) the labour force received from the write-offs to commission massive projects.

I think the architects of NeoCraft have done a fine job building the existing world but it's the politicians of the land who've failed the commoners in the land.

You know what, I'm actually 100% fine with everything in this post.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
I am always in favor of trying new things, thats why my bung hole hurts and my eyes are red from all the full frontal male nudity!!

However, I would like to be able to keep the items I have mined FOR DAYS. I farmed a shit ton of mats with the intention of using them when the new patch comes out. I have days on my projects, and am willing to part with them if the community chooses so. However I will be a little egg roll if I lose all of the stuff I spent so long farming specifically for this patch.

As far as taxes? NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION! No, I don't care, I just wanted to say that.

A quick question; Is it possible to set up a warp point for lets say a donor that only they can use?

Jhriad

Segnit said:
The rules of the land should encourage the building of rail systems, roads, ports, bridges and safety havens.

Yes please. This is why I asked a few days ago if there were any plans for the spawn on the new map/new spawn area. I really enjoyed making the highway on the old GAFLand server and was considering making a new road system.

Warps & flying (particularly flying) make the need non-existent though.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
Jhriad said:
Yes please. This is why I asked a few days ago if there were any plans for the spawn on the new map/new spawn area. I really enjoyed making the highway on the old GAFLand server and was considering making a new road system.

Since I figure out how to make a subway system pretty easily and can plot them pretty dead on, I would be down for that.

YoungFa

BaDJuJu said:
I am always in favor of trying new things, thats why my bung hole hurts and my eyes are red from all the full frontal male nudity!!

However, I would like to be able to keep the items I have mined FOR DAYS. I farmed a shit ton of mats with the intention of using them when the new patch comes out. I have days on my projects, and am willing to part with them if the community chooses so. However I will be a little egg roll if I lose all of the stuff I spent so long farming specifically for this patch.

As far as taxes? NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION! No, I don't care, I just wanted to say that.

A quick question; Is it possible to set up a warp point for lets say a donor that only they can use?
Segnit's solution suggest that you can transfer all the items befor the old world gets deleted.

Cutting down the warps sound reasonable, and will probably result in a more dynamic way cities are build.

Glasswork

Segnit said:
Possible Solution

What this solution does:

Politics of Neocraft

Haha, this actually sounds pretty awesome, it'll also give that sense of starting a new colony which I love oh so much :]
1+

Top Bottom