• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Roche

It kills me to say this but in order for any of this to work... we're going to need to kill flying.
I love it for building tall structures and getting about faster but it kills the risk associated with exploration.

OH GOD IGNORE MY POST PLEASE

Ranger X

Segnit said:
This would then necessitate the introduction of taxes. Pay taxes in spawn city and you keep your land and your building. Avoid paying or even playing minecraft for prolonged periods then somebody could take your place to build on top of your land or even completely reconstruct on your plot.

I'm sorry but in my opinion this is the worse idea I've ever read about Minecraft. That would totally weed me out of the game. Minecraft is awesome when it's as vanilla as it gets. I also play videogames to SPARE myself from real life bullshit. This idea would be a deal breaker for me, major turn off.

onken

Start a new map, upload the old one somewhere (I can host it for you if you like) so we can play it offline and show it to our grandkids.

Looking forward to 1.8 hitting to get back into this, getting bored of SP.

Ranger X said:
I'm sorry but in my opinion this is the worse idea I've ever read about Minecraft. That would totally weed me out of the game. Minecraft is awesome when it's as vanilla as it gets. I also play videogames to SPARE myself from real life bullshit. This idea would be a deal breaker for me, major turn off.

+1

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger X said:

I agree. This isn't EVE or some other political online game. This is MineCraft. The basic concept is virtually unhindered creation and total exploration. Introducing "regulation" components would appear to work in opposition to this philosophy.

Furthermore, forcing the introduction of "politics" into a system like this never works out. All this will lead to is constant bickering, rule-bending, favoritism etc. Leave that shit on CNN and out of my Minecrafts.

Seems like I can't connect to any server that requires an IP address. BUt when I connect to the Reddit server by typing p.nerd.nu I can get in. Weird.

bengraven

I like that idea.

1) save the world map the day before the patch.
2) build new spawn after the patch, THOUSANDS of blocks away (make it impossible, nearly, to walk back to old spawn)
3) give people 2-3 days, 1 week at most, to move their stuff to the new spawn
4) delete everything in the "old continent"
5) put the world map save you made in step #1 on MegaUpload/whatever
6) ...
7) profit

Speaking of profit:

TwUQ5.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Segnit said:
Possible Solution
One solution could be to move the spawn far away at first. Then for a week or two allow for migration of items to take place, followed by deleting the old realm from the map and putting it up for download for anyone feeling nostalgic about it.

What this solution does:
+ Helps everyone keep their items.
+ Cuts down 500MB from the file size of the new post 1.7 world.

Politics of Neocraft
Let me also add that having warp points for different cities puts a limiter on the sense of adventure. The rules of the land should encourage the building of rail systems, roads, ports, bridges and safety havens. The problem is that when there are warp points for cities there is simply no incentive to do that that entire communal infrastructure thing.

Building far away cities should be a logistical challenge as much it is a creative one. It goes without saying that the farther your city is out from the spawn the more you need to consider food, transport and occupied intermediary settlements for emergency supplies should you need any.

Booty Bay, Arkyoto and Al Medina are pretty places that you only visit once. There is no mystery about them and - in my eyes at least - no real sense of weight or wonder. Knowing that someone struggled to work out the logistics makes all the difference in the world.

Removing warp points would have desired knock on effects too. For instance, as a result of there being only limited safe land, property value surrounding the spawn point would skyrocket. This would then necessitate the introduction of taxes. Pay taxes in spawn city and you keep your land and your building. Avoid paying or even playing minecraft for prolonged periods then somebody could take your place to build on top of your land or even completely reconstruct on your plot.

Taxes could take on many forms, one may offer his time to be a builder minion of the city council in return for tax write-offs. Another may opt to pay taxes in gold or diamonds. Ultimately the city council should decide how much and in what forms must taxes be paid. The whole idea is to eliminate the extremely static cities we have at the moment. Static = boring.

What's more, the city council could use the a) material taken from taxes and b) the labour force received from the write-offs to commission massive projects.

I think the architects of NeoCraft have done a fine job building the existing world but it's the politicians of the land who've failed the commoners in the land.

I love everything in this post except for the tax idea. With an infinite world, I just don't see the need for that. But the rest of the post I like. Especially the idea of starting the new spawn for 1.8 while keeping the old map but with the idea of deleting the old area after a few weeks. That seems to solve many problems with the whole new map issue. I like it.

bengraven

Mengy said:
I love everything in this post except for the tax idea. With an infinite world, I just don't see the need for that. But the rest of the post I like. Especially the idea of starting the new spawn for 1.8 while keeping the old map but with the idea of deleting the old area after a few weeks. That seems to solve many problems with the whole new map issue. I like it.

Yep, the only condition would be that people wouldn't be allowed to build in the old world or too far away from spawn...because you know someone would want to try and walk back to old spawn or build something in Arkyoto, then have something to bitch about when you deleted it.

Ark

Mengy said:

Once alternative, is instead of taxes, people can 'purchase' land. A one time 'donation' into the 'Town Coffers' which would go towards major projects.

I'm really not too bothered regarding taxes/land purchasing, I'm just throwing it out there.

kodt

Banned
I am up for starting a new map. I haven't played on the server in a while and never finished my zombie fortress recreation. Source Image Here I got busy and it was hard to keep working on it when everyone else moved on to booty bay and then the other themed settlements.

The old map should certainly be made available for download though. Would be fun to explore and do some creative mode work in.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure I really play enough for my opinion to hold much weight, but yeah the NeoCraft server is a little overwhelming. I would probably be more inclined to set up a permanent home there if there were to be a full reset. Whenever I'm on the GAF server I feel like I'm infringing on someone's space. In every direction!

Jhriad

Glasswork said:
Haha, this actually sounds pretty awesome, it'll also give that sense of starting a new colony which I love oh so much :]
1+

If he's talking about just deleting the sections of map that aren't the newly moved spawn that would mean the map wouldn't include the new biomes/map generation. Since it'd still be using the old maps terrain generation. Or did Notch reverse what he said previously.

Ark

Everyone's opinion is important.

@Kodt: Well, at least I know what the giant building was supposed to be :p

Jhriad said:
If he's talking about just deleting the sections of map that aren't the newly moved spawn that would mean the map wouldn't include the new biomes/map generation. Since it'd still be using the old maps terrain generation. Or did Notch reverse what he said previously.

When the biome and chunk error problem occurred the already spawned world because 'dislodged', so the newly generated land wouldn't match up with the old.

Theoretically, any new land spawned should be fine.

Jhriad

Ark said:
When the biome and chunk error problem occurred the already spawned world because 'dislodged', so the newly generated land wouldn't match up with the old.

Theoretically, any new land spawned should be fine.

It would include the 1.8 stuff? I seem to remember someone quoting Notch as saying that if you had a preexisting map it would stick with the old terrain generation settings rather than the new ones (which includes the npc towns, larger biomes, rivers, etc.)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Finally watching some the pax footage.. wow I can't wait!

Glasswork

Jtwo said:
I'm not sure I really play enough for my opinion to hold much weight, but yeah the NeoCraft server is a little overwhelming. I would probably be more inclined to set up a permanent home there if there were to be a full reset. Whenever I'm on the GAF server I feel like I'm infringing on someone's space. In every direction!

One of the thing that bother me with building right now is that the land just keeps going and going and going, there are no landmarks/borders so everything seems kinda mangled up.

@Jhriad: what Notch meant is that new generated terrain wouldn't match up, so on one side the world will look like a marshland, and the other side will have deep oceans and mountain ranges, the world itself will be useable.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, the FOV slider goes all the way up to "quake pro" thats sooo awesome.

Mengy

Jhriad said:
It would include the 1.8 stuff? I seem to remember someone quoting Notch as saying that if you had a preexisting map it would stick with the old terrain generation settings rather than the new ones (which includes the npc towns, larger biomes, rivers, etc.)

I'm pretty sure that any new 1.8 generation will have all of the new features in place and the biomes and weather would be working properly. In fact, any new explored land on the current server should have proper weather, snow included. I wonder if anyone has tested that out on the server yet?

Jhriad

Glasswork said:
@Jhriad: what Notch meant is that new generated terrain wouldn't match up, so on one side the world will look like a marshland, and the other side will have deep oceans and mountain ranges, the world itself will be useable.

In that case...

New Spawn/World Ho!

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
I would like to know if it is possible to have private warps. I do not want opinions on warps, just a simple yes or no answer would be dandy. So please spare me the dynamic banter, I donate because I enjoy having my own warp. If it is made secret and personal, I don't have a problem with it.

Ark

BaDJuJu said:
I would like to know if it is possible to have private warps. I do not want opinions on warps, just a simple yes or no answer would be dandy. So please spare me the dynamic banter, I donate because I enjoy having my own warp. If it is made secret and personal, I don't have a problem with it.

I'm quite happy for private warps to stay :)

Toppot

The last 3 days I've spent pretty solidly working on my new building, a last hurrah for the map. To make it more fun, and get people to explore the world a bit more before its gone, I won't tell you where it is =P It is made out of 15,000 - 20,000 blocks, all above ground so you can't miss it =P

Your only clue is this teaser image with some squids enjoying it =P

GuAnz.png

The game, as it were, is to find it first and post a picture of my building, so go go go!

Also when you find it don't tell anyone where it is, spoils the fun =P

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I really say Fresh Start all the way is best. The game is far more fun when you are carving out a mountain near spawn to build a house, then having this vast city scape already built. I don't even think we should keep our old items, just new stuff all the way. Cut down trees, make crappy picks, dig a mine and build a house. Make large structures into the landscape out of cobble stone, and have 2x1 holes though mountains to see what is on the other side.

Yes please. This is why I asked a few days ago if there were any plans for the spawn on the new map/new spawn area. I really enjoyed making the highway on the old GAFLand server and was considering making a new road system.
Yes, I loved that. I built this small 1 tile long road between two spawns, leave for a while, and see this huge road network in its place. I also loved my tunnel networks, it made getting to places at night very safe, and was much easier to construct.

Ark said:
Once alternative, is instead of taxes, people can 'purchase' land. A one time 'donation' into the 'Town Coffers' which would go towards major projects.

I'm really not too bothered regarding taxes/land purchasing, I'm just throwing it out there.

Personally, I always fine protected land a bit annoying, since you can run into issues of trying to dig underground and finding it randomly protected, or have to shift a road since someone protected a large lot while they have this tiny house on it.

The easiest way would be to make the land expensive, and try to make it so a person doesn't own the entire area above and below where they bought without paying a lot.

You know what would be really cool, if you could set up some sort of Material Market. Turn in stuff you have mined for some in game currency, use it to buy the land and other material that has been sold. Have it ether dynamically change the prices to encourage people to sell things in high demand, and buy the things that are low in demand if they just need building materials, or manually adjust the prices every day or two to try and keep the market moving. Not sure if there is any sort of mod you could use to power such a thing though. Would be the easiest way to get "donations", since you could up sell price of materials that you want for some huge project.

Ranger X

Toppot said:
The last 3 days I've spent pretty solidly working on my new building, a last hurrah for the map. To make it more fun, and get people to explore the world a bit more before its gone, I won't tell you where it is =P It is made out of 15,000 - 20,000 blocks, all above ground so you can't miss it =P

Your only clue is this teaser image with some squids enjoying it =P

GuAnz.png

The game, as it were, is to find it first and post a picture of my building, so go go go!

Also when you find it don't tell anyone where it is, spoils the fun =P

oh shit. water dome?
I'll be sure to check that next time I log on.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
I would like to do my own personal send off for when we get rid of the old world. It may require a fuck ton of TnT though. ; )

bengraven

BaDJuJu said:
I would like to do my own personal send off for when we get rid of the old world. It may require a fuck ton of TnT though. ; )

We're all okay with you destroying "The Death Star" now if you want.

bengraven

On the last day of my first SMP server, the admin actually dropped a ton of TNT on spawn, then force warped everyone there.

Good times.

Jhriad

Drkirby said:
I really say Fresh Start all the way is best. The game is far more fun when you are carving out a mountain near spawn to build a house, then having this vast city scape already built.

It's only fun the first or second time. After that it's a giant pain in the ass and makes you want to stop playing the game. Especially when you invest weeks of real time into a massive undertaking only to have it disappear. Then restart a massive project and many weeks later your progress is lost yet again. Rinse and repeat several times. There's nothing fun in that.

What the fuck is wrong with warps?

Jhriad said:
It's only fun the first or second time. After that it's a giant pain in the ass and makes you want to stop playing the game. Especially when you invest weeks of real time into a massive undertaking only to have it disappear. Then restart a massive project and many weeks later your progress is lost yet again. Rinse and repeat several times. There's nothing fun in that.

Agreed.

Vlad

Jhriad said:

And now, a moment of silence for Jhriad's Acropolis....

Jhriad said:

I'd normally agree, but this is a totally new gaming experience with 1.8. I think that merits consideration. I spent weeks working on planning Arkyo, and we can always download the old server to walk around and check it out.

limlark

I just want to speak to the subtopic of inventories. I've been gathering materials for months now, specifically in preparation for 1.8. Like others in this thread, I thought this was settled a long time ago. It's fine for others who already have buildings to be proud of, that are assured of their work being preserved, to say they don't care what happens to the rest of their spare cobblestone or whatever. But my stash represents work too! I have stacks and stacks and stacks of valuable things that I spent a lot of time collecting because, again, I was told I'd get to keep it and use it after the move. If not, I'll have a hard time caring about coming back.

mcrae

Ranger X said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Is there a new issue per page now? What will it be at the end of this one here? lol

the guy who made the argument about lack of warps resulting in more infrastructure sold me pretty convincingly.

Ranger X said:
That's artistic, we wanted it to look messy like it was old and vegetation took over. :p

It looked like a bigger mess before then.

EDIT: I am still kinda on the fence about starting a new map. Moving the spawn will probably be the ultimate solution. The reason why is because while some people will be disappointed, they won't get pissed. If we start a new map, I think a good number of people will be pissed and refuse to play. I just pray that it doesn't cause any problems, because that's definitely what's going to happen (Moving the spawn far away, that is.)

Can anyone take a look at my tree farm? I'm not sure why it is growing so high into this giant mass of leaves.

I had an underground farm like this (1 row of trees, 1 row empty, 1 row trees, etc) and it never grew together into a huge tree like this.

Do I need a roof over it to limit the height? I tried a different tree farm outdoors, surrounded it with glass. Every time the trees would grow the leaves poked through the glass and looked ridiculous.

*edit* Nevermind I think I got it.

Xux

So, anybody know how to connect to a server in this game? I can connect to the GAF server just fine but I can't connect to my friend's for anything. I have port 25565 and the Hamachi ports forwarded on my router, internet settings, and Windows Firewall. My friend's other friend can connect without any issue.

AutoGibbon

Neo Member
Hold on guys. I know I'm not the most active poster here, but as far as I see things, a new map is never a bad thing. Familiarity breeds contempt; a map can become stale and boring, and result in a lack of inspiration or drive to actually play.

In a game like minecraft, I've always found that the most fun to be had is that rush to survive the first night, or your 'first' diamond or whatever, or building something new! Not just making another church like you did last time, but rather we should challenge ourselves to come up with something incredible. Be it a matter of size or complexity, I always enjoy creating something no one has seen yet, something that takes advantage of the mechanics of minecraft.... waterfalls or rain holes or skylights or low lights.

Basically, stop being dull and accept that things change. Starting all over again is awesome!

EVIL

Segnit said:
Possible Solution
One solution could be to move the spawn far away at first. Then for a week or two allow for migration of items to take place, followed by deleting the old realm from the map and putting it up for download for anyone feeling nostalgic about it.

What this solution does:
+ Helps everyone keep their items.
+ Cuts down 500MB from the file size of the new post 1.7 world.

Politics of Neocraft
Let me also add that having warp points for different cities puts a limiter on the sense of adventure. The rules of the land should encourage the building of rail systems, roads, ports, bridges and safety havens. The problem is that when there are warp points for cities there is simply no incentive to do that that entire communal infrastructure thing.

Building far away cities should be a logistical challenge as much it is a creative one. It goes without saying that the farther your city is out from the spawn the more you need to consider food, transport and occupied intermediary settlements for emergency supplies should you need any.

Booty Bay, Arkyoto and Al Medina are pretty places that you only visit once. There is no mystery about them and - in my eyes at least - no real sense of weight or wonder. Knowing that someone struggled to work out the logistics makes all the difference in the world.

Removing warp points would have desired knock on effects too. For instance, as a result of there being only limited safe land, property value surrounding the spawn point would skyrocket. This would then necessitate the introduction of taxes. Pay taxes in spawn city and you keep your land and your building. Avoid paying or even playing minecraft for prolonged periods then somebody could take your place to build on top of your land or even completely reconstruct on your plot.

Taxes could take on many forms, one may offer his time to be a builder minion of the city council in return for tax write-offs. Another may opt to pay taxes in gold or diamonds. Ultimately the city council should decide how much and in what forms must taxes be paid. The whole idea is to eliminate the extremely static cities we have at the moment. Static = boring.

What's more, the city council could use the a) material taken from taxes and b) the labour force received from the write-offs to commission massive projects.

I think the architects of NeoCraft have done a fine job building the existing world but it's the politicians of the land who've failed the commoners in the land.

Interesting idea! Not feeling the paying taxes part of the idea tho, I mean I escape the real world where I have to pay tax not to step into a virtual world where I have to pay it as well, plus the added drama. I feel minecraft as a place where I can build my dream house without constraints and tax would kill that imo.

But here is an idea to give the feel of starting a new colony

Lets build a large community rocket, where you can store everything you want to keep, and once 1.8 hits, ark will move it to the new area or new map. So you will get a fresh spawn, with a large rocket that you can use for startup recources. Just like the old sea faring folk who found islands and wanted to settle there, they used their ships for a source of lumber to build their homes.

elwes

I got to play 1.8 over the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised by the result. I've been rocking the Yogbox for the past few weeks, so to play "vanilla" 1.8 was interesting, since it felt incredibly different from both vanilla 1.7.3 and the yogbox mods. I'm sure everybody has seen the stream, but I just wanted to comment on a few things that I noticed before I was forced to stop playing due to ridiculous carpal tunnel pains since I'm 6'3" and the computer setup was engineered towards someone 5'5".

I liked the fact that the bow and arrows are now charged. I never used bow and arrows that much because they felt boring and cheap. Now there's a degree of challenge involved, since it takes a little more time to fire them off. The dynamic lighting is nice, although it wasn't entirely noticeable to me since I was attempting to glean as much information off of the game as possible in the time I had.

I ran into the endermen, but wisely left him undisturbed. I'm not sure I entirely understand the skill point system. As far as I can tell, it only increases when you kill things. This is kind of a step down for me, since the yogbox levels up all possible stats AND gives me perks. Still, it's a nice addition to vanilla. Those were the only changes I noticed when I was playing. I found a lava pool and set out to make a nether gateway, but a creeper stealth shot me out of nowhere. At that point, I had been playing for ten minutes and stopped to give the guy behind me a shot.

I tried to get my picture with Notch, who was five feet behind me the entire time (which was extremely weird, for some reason), but it was way too packed.

I also went to the Minecraft panel about Minecraft's popularity and how it grew in said popularity differently than most other games. Notch's wife sat in on the panel, and at the end, Notch showed up and attempted to go over and say hi to his wife, only to get a mic shoved in his face by the presenter. He was just like "Um...hi...I don't have anything to say. Thanks," then crab walked off to the side. :lol

Mengy

EVIL said:
But here is an idea to give the feel of starting a new colony

Lets build a large community rocket, where you can store everything you want to keep, and once 1.8 hits, ark will move it to the new area or new map. So you will get a fresh spawn, with a large rocket that you can use for startup recources. Just like the old sea faring folk who found islands and wanted to settle there, they used their ships for a source of lumber to build their homes.

Now THAT's a slick idea. But instead of a rocket, make it an Ark, or a really big boat or ship. For two reasons:

1. It will be easier to move something in the water into new 1.8 water, no land needs to come along

2. The length of the ship can simply be expanded to accommodate more people's chests of goodies. It may turn out to be one hellashishly long boat, lol!

I like that...

Top Bottom