• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Roche178 said:
AssCraft's Ocean town is coming along nicley, I just finished the bridge connecting it to the starting town and new people are building houses, I'm so proud :)

Here's a picture for those curious

2011-03-16_02.08.3547dz.jpg

Ey, I can see my house! :p

IrishNinja

mrklaw said:
do you dye stuff, or just literally make a floor from wool?

ah, ive not gotten into dying just yet - wolf gave me the idea of using actual wool, and from above, it looks pretty good. i invite anyone interested to swing by & lemme know what they think (here if im offline, natch); id like to do the community justice with it, but there's so many other structures done with a lot more planning/detail.

speaking of, i totally wanna go find that RE1 mansion replica. i just wandered through somebody's "funky house" last night, and the waterfalls, grain, lavafalls etc were so cool.

bengraven

mrklaw said:
exano's server scares me (so does asscraft). So complex, where do you even start!? I can squat in houses overnight, but won't most of the good stuff already be mined out?

Lots of great ideas though. on asscraft found a giant cactus with an underground cactus farm that automatically harvests for you.

also have no idea how the minecarts work. Can't seem to jump in them properly

Dude, I have two mines myself and I just started two weeks ago. The places between stations are almost all empty and undiscovered.

Hell, I just found my THIRD mine outside of Rome and I'll let you have it if you want.

Bradlums

IrishNinja said:
whoah, Bradlums - what mod you got going there? it makes the game look like animal crossing, heh.
Edit: It's a texture pack called animalcrafting. It's a 64 x 64 texture pack so you'll have to download Xau's HD Texture Patcher for it to work. Here's the link for the texture pack.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=48464

IrishNinja said:
so, i'm building us a museum! pretty humble, but wolf gave me some good ideas. does anyone have black wool?
This has given me an idea for my next project: the museum from animal crossing! Look for it to be opening up in my park sometime in 2015 :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Exano mentioned he was doing a new map last night. Has he put it on the Interwebs anywhere? I'd like to see the changes between the old and new ones!

Firebrand

To whoever who has been removing gold ore in my subway on Exano's server - gold ore is used for boosting minecarts with the Craftbook mod. Please don't go thinking it's just some unmined ore up for grabs.

Bradlums

IrishNinja said:
whoah, Bradlums - what mod you got going there? it makes the game look like animal crossing, heh.
Edit: It's a texture pack called animalcrafting. It's a 64 x 64 texture pack so you'll have to download Xau's HD Texture Patcher for it to work. Here's the link for the texture pack.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=48464

IrishNinja said:
so, i'm building us a museum! pretty humble, but wolf gave me some good ideas. does anyone have black wool?
This has given me an idea for my next project: the museum from animal crossing! Look for it to be opening up in my park sometime in 2015 :)

Double edit: sorry about the double post. Somebody doesn't know how to edit correctly :p

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's also probably too late, or would be too much work, but had anyone thought of consolidating all the Spawn train Stations into 1 building, like a tower? Instead of 4 seperate buildings in the central city?

Enco

This game really needs an update with some new additions as building stuff and exploring has gotten boring for me.

Furniture, more interactive stuff, NPCs (traders/random people), mini games and missions are needed to keep the game fresh.

Eccocid

Enco said:
This game really needs an update with some new additions as building stuff and exploring has gotten boring for me.

Furniture, more interactive stuff, NPCs (traders/random people), mini games and missions are needed to keep the game fresh.

I was feeling same then i started to play online and never touched to single player again!

Enco said:

I concur - there's great scope for expanding Minecraft while still keeping it a freeform gaming experience.

Personally I want the ability to attract settlers to your settlements - there should be different building types, each with a function for an NPC to perform. You'd construct a building and once all the necessary requirements for that building type were met a NPC would be able to move in and perform their function in exchange for gold. Then you could do all sorts of fancy stuff, such as NPC's having needs that must be met to perform their job, like a butcher needing a steady supply of meat - then you could have the NPC give the player a quest to go hunt some meat or open up a permanent job for another NPC to become a hunter to provide the butcher with the meat.

And I just realised I'm talking about turning Minecraft into a city building game, which would be pretty awesome.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
I don't know who is claiming this, but its amazing!

I stumbled upon it today while I was exploring for sand. Awesome find!

Exano's server, btw

HQDhG.jpg

edit -- more

azX4k.jpg

JKQM2.jpg

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Its called Zan's Minimap. You'll also need to use Modloader v5.

Download both of these zips, save to your desktop. Locate the minecraft .jar file at .minecraft/bin and open it using winzip. Uncompress the two zips on your desktop and copy/paste the files into the opened minecraft.jar bucket. Delete the folder called META-INF and close winzip.

Make sure you exited out of minecraft before trying this, and always backup your current minecraft.jar file before modification!

Ranger X

Enco said:

The game is having a couple of nice base systems already. I think should expand them before adding anything dramatically new. Crafting can be pushed further and there could be "multiple step crafting" if you get what I mean in order to make more complex things.
Vehicules, farming, hunting and finish can also be expanded. More mobs with different ways to attack them, catch them. etc.

The real challenge when updating a sandbox game is that you need to add stuff but never create evident linearity. You can only put basic behaviors and systems in there so the player still creates his own meta games and mission. Per example, wanting missions/quest in the game goes against the design imo. The player is suppose to decide his quests for himself. It's a sandbox game and I hope Notch can keep it so. This type of design is also pretty infinite, it could go for 200 years again from now and the childrend of the children of my children might be playing in a super "digital sub-life" mega game ala Matrix.

Well, Notch already said that he is adding now a archievement system (and dogs-wolves).

I think is still important to give the player some goals for the player, specially for survival. Yeah, there is always things to do, add a new floor for your castle, make a mechanism to trap mobs, spelunk a new cave... but goals are useful to keep players focused when they don't know what else to do. Not all players wants to create amazing skyscrapers.

I'd love a system of "treasure detector", that only give you an aproximate distance for a unique item, and then you have to mine, search through a cave, and finding a special object that you can gather and expose in a trophy room.

bengraven

Firebrand said:
To whoever who has been removing gold ore in my subway on Exano's server - gold ore is used for boosting minecarts with the Craftbook mod. Please don't go thinking it's just some unmined ore up for grabs.

BTW, people:

" Currently, gold tools have a higher speed than diamond but break twice as fast as wood tools."

So basically worthless. They've always been just as good as iron, so there was never a reason to use them when they're so rare and iron is more available. Now they're even worse.

Gold weapons/items do just as much damage as wood now and actually have the WORST durability as other things.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Axe - for example

This is why boosters are gold - to prevent people from taking the items. WORTHLESS. Just donate your gold to the subway makers anyway.

Xun

Firebrand said:
Pretty much the reason I've stopped playing on the server.

Too much griefing and idiocy plagued it sadly.

Ranger X

Eccocid said:
Pets are so meh for me :( and will they be in multiplayer too? Minecraft should turn in to a MMORPG and more focus on online development! After getting used to play with others it is so boring to hang out in singleplayer :/

I suppose they will have a wild version and you can "tame" one. No way "wolves" are good mobs. I don't think that this is the major point of the next update anyways. It's just a case of "more mobs = better" I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
Ranger X said:
I suppose they will have a wild version and you can "tame" one. No way "wolves" are good mobs. I don't think that this is the major point of the next update anyways. It's just a case of "more mobs = better" I guess.
Yeah, we probably do need more mobs (and better performance), but remember that one of the things that happened was that Notch promised someone very important (presumably Peter Molyneux) that a pet dog would be in the game. So, there you go. :p I like the idea of pets, but I wish I could tame sheep for wool and steer pigs around. *shrug*

One hard part about Minecraft is that if they focus on singleplayer, multiplayer people feel left out, and vice versa. Multiplayer is great when it works, but the game is different things to different people, that's presumably a large part of why it has sold so many copies, and fortunately Notch hasn't apparently tried to shoot down mods. As a result -- lots of mods and customization options, so people can have even more variety! :)

Ranger X

Blizzard said:
Yeah, we probably do need more mobs (and better performance), but remember that one of the things that happened was that Notch promised someone very important (presumably Peter Molyneux) that a pet dog would be in the game. So, there you go. :p I like the idea of pets, but I wish I could tame sheep for wool and steer pigs around. *shrug*

One hard part about Minecraft is that if they focus on singleplayer, multiplayer people feel left out, and vice versa. Multiplayer is great when it works, but the game is different things to different people, that's presumably a large part of why it has sold so many copies, and fortunately Notch hasn't apparently tried to shoot down mods. As a result -- lots of mods and customization options, so people can have even more variety! :)

Designing and improving a sandbox game is not given to everybody imo. Unless of course if you don't care about keeping that "sandbox" style you have. Thing is Minecraft is one of those first TRUE sandbox game and that's what distinguish itself from the pack and it's also why the game is great, gamers being conscious of that or not.

The way to improve a sandbox game, is to add "ingredients" if you like. Add new "systems" and new "behaviors". And then, people are doing to the rest. The "goals" in such game is ALWAYS for the player to find for themselves. If Notch does those update right and add only "ingredients", people will bake a cake with them in single player and people will bake a different cake with them in multiplayer. See what I mean? If Notch updates this game carefully and while preserving its sandbox nature, it will benefit EVERYBODY.

But objectives don't made them less sandbox, if they are optionals.

You still can play without "rules", simply wandering around, but you can decide spending an afternoon in do a quest.

Even if it's the player who decide it, we're constantly making quests. Making a tower. Looking for enough diamond to make a full armor set. Filling chests with pork meat.

If there are some predefined quests that allow, for example, that some players can use them like "tutorials" in order to grow and get used to the game, in order to be able later in doing bigger things, is not bad.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
But objectives don't made them less sandbox, if they are optionals.

You still can play without "rules", simply wandering around, but you can decide spending an afternoon in do a quest.

Even if it's the player who decide it, we're constantly making quests. Making a tower. Looking for enough diamond to make a full armor set. Filling chests with pork meat.

If there are some predefined quests that allow, for example, that some players can use them like "tutorials" in order to grow and get used to the game, in order to be able later in doing bigger things, is not bad.

I know, but it's not the point of the sandbox concept. You didn't need a tutorial for the crafting gameplay, they only gave you a "system", "rules" to play with. That is how you do it. Anything you would like to do in Minecraft can be done just by updating systems, rules and behavior. The player will always decide their objectives. What would you like to see in the game? wich "pre-made linearity" would you add?

Vlad

Ranger X said:
I know, but it's not the point of the sandbox concept. You didn't need a tutorial for the crafting gameplay, they only gave you a "system", "rules" to play with. That is how you do it. Anything you would like to do in Minecraft can be done just by updating systems, rules and behavior. The player will always decide their objectives. What would you like to see in the game? wich "pre-made linearity" would you add?

Personally, the only thing I'd really like to see is some sort of in-game way to "discover" crafting recipes. Either have the player find recipes around the world, or even have some sort of crafting minigame where you have to guess an unused recipe, and the game tells you something like "you've got X materials correct, and Y of them are in the right place". To make it have a cost, make the materials used for each guess actually get used up.

As-is, it's impossible for a new player to even know where to start with crafting without resorting to a guide/wiki.

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
You didn't need a tutorial for the crafting gameplay, they only gave you a "system", "rules" to play with. That is how you do it. Anything you would like to do in Minecraft can be done just by updating systems, rules and behavior. The player will always decide their objectives. What would you like to see in the game? wich "pre-made linearity" would you add?
Actually the game really could use some sort of tutorial. As it is now the game is nearly unplayable unless you first consult an FAQ, the Wiki, or a "How to survive your first night" video.

Personally I think there should at least be a crafting recipe book ingame that from the start has your basic wooden planks, sticks, wooden pick, and torch recipes. Then as you play the game, you could fill your recipe book, either by "discovering" recipes (ie - completing a recipe the first time adds it to the book) or finding random recipes as drops from mobs/chests/etc.

This would make the new player experience much more approachable. I know at least one person who tried the game during the free weekend, didn't know how to survive the first night, and subsequently quit.

Ranger X said:

For example, a treasure track artifact that you can create or maybe find in hidden chests. That artifact will beep if you are close (500 blocks) of a treasure. It will increase the bipping intensity when you get closer than 200 blocks, 100, 50, 20.

That won't give you the exact location of the treasure, but a close one. Then, you'll have to dig and find the treasure, that probably it will be randomly in a cave full of monsters, in depth 0-30.

That treasure can be a decorative object (random from a set of maybe 20 different). Is no use except for showoff (maybe a random sculpture). It's a propietary item, so if it's destroyed by anyone in SMP, the item goes back to the inventory of the owner.

Then, a player can decide to go to search treauses, because he's boring. He wanders around, discovering new places, until it get the beeping. Then, he get as close as he can in the surface (less than 50 blocks of distance, so a intense beep), he make a camp, and start digging or looking for open caves in order to search that item.

After a few days of spelunking, he get the treasure. He got lucky, is not a repeated one, is one of the 8 unique treasures that he has left. Then he go back to his home and add the new treasure in the trophy room, and think about going south instead of north to see if he find another treasure, or maybe he wants to wander north again, because in the path of the last treasure he found a good place to make another castle.

Ranger X

Vlad said:
Personally, the only thing I'd really like to see is some sort of in-game way to "discover" crafting recipes. Either have the player find recipes around the world, or even have some sort of crafting minigame where you have to guess an unused recipe, and the game tells you something like "you've got X materials correct, and Y of them are in the right place". To make it have a cost, make the materials used for each guess actually get used up.

As-is, it's impossible for a new player to even know where to start with crafting without resorting to a guide/wiki.

I agree the crafting is hardcore at first but I understand the design Notch tried to express. He wanted the player to try and reproduce shapes that make sense. I agree it probably could have been conveyed better to the player but the base idea is great imo. The game could have had something in-between what you suggest (wich I think removes the "discovering" aspect too much) and the way Notch did, wich can be too hardcore for many people.

BooJoh said:
Actually the game really could use some sort of tutorial. As it is now the game is nearly unplayable unless you first consult an FAQ, the Wiki, or a "How to survive your first night" video.

Personally I think there should at least be a crafting recipe book ingame that from the start has your basic wooden planks, sticks, wooden pick, and torch recipes. Then as you play the game, you could fill your recipe book, either by "discovering" recipes (ie - completing a recipe the first time adds it to the book) or finding random recipes as drops from mobs/chests/etc.

This would make the new player experience much more approachable. I know at least one person who tried the game during the free weekend, didn't know how to survive the first night, and subsequently quit.

Yes this game could use a tutorial. But the only reason for it is because I think ALL games in the history of mankind and for eternity should have a tutorial. As simple as that. A tutorial should be something evident like a pause menu, something you simply cannot not do in your game. It's even something that I don't see as "part of a game". It's only a portable guide, inside the game. It's part of the player's world and not the game's world. Needless to say, this opinion of mine here tells you that I hate "integrated tutorials" with a passion and I hope Minecraft would never do that.

Dangerous Dave said:
For example, a treasure track artifact that you can create or maybe find in hidden chests. That artifact will beep if you are close (500 blocks) of a treasure. It will increase the bipping intensity when you get closer than 200 blocks, 100, 50, 20.

That won't give you the exact location of the treasure, but a close one. Then, you'll have to dig and find the treasure, that probably it will be randomly in a cave full of monsters, in depth 0-30.

That treasure can be a decorative object (random from a set of maybe 20 different). Is no use except for showoff (maybe a random sculpture). It's a propietary item, so if it's destroyed by anyone in SMP, the item goes back to the inventory of the owner.

Then, a player can decide to go to search treauses, because he's boring. He wanders around, discovering new places, until it get the beeping. Then, he get as close as he can in the surface (less than 50 blocks of distance, so a intense beep), he make a camp, and start digging or looking for open caves in order to search that item.

After a few days of spelunking, he get the treasure. He got lucky, is not a repeated one, is one of the 8 unique treasures that he has left. Then he go back to his home and add the new treasure in the trophy room, and think about going south instead of north to see if he find another treasure, or maybe he wants to wander north again, because in the path of the last treasure he found a good place to make another castle.

You see, here you're not adding linearity. You're simply adding a "system" and some rules. This is an almost perfect fine update for a sandbox game. The only thing that isn't perfect though is that "unique treasure" thing. There could be "unique treasure" but the game shouldn't tell how many of them there is or how many left you have to collect. Because of this very small detail, you dictate the player to do something instead of giving them a collecting/treasure hunting system.

By not telling the player how many of those treasures there is and how many you have left to find, the community would talk even more about their discoveries and the internet would even be a meta-game for recruting all of those treasures. TRUE rarity could also exist if you're the owner of a rare item that only YOU ever found. Imagine a money system in the game after that. Pure bliss.

BooJoh said:

Learn by doing.

That, and it's downloaded, so you know, internet. FAQs and tutorials, for those who don't wanna. Some YouTube starter vids have millions of hits.

I'm really just worried that it'll take away from the sandbox-type updates that Ranger X was mentioning, those toys to play with as we see fit.

Zomba13

So after playing loads these past few days these are the things I want to see added:

Lanterns - Can light underwater

Mining Helmet - A hat with a lantern in it. Give it some form of durability. This was I can see what I'm doing more easily without planting a bunch of torches

Diving helmet/scuba gear - so I can breathe and explore under water easier

more furniture - chairs and table and sofas. Even if they are useless it'll make my houses look better

BooJoh

SatelliteOfLove said:
Learn by doing.

That, and it's downloaded, so you know, internet. FAQs and tutorials, for those who don't wanna. Some YouTube starter vids have millions of hits.

I'm really just worried that it'll take away from the sandbox-type updates that Ranger X was mentioning, those toys to play with as we see fit.
I'm just as opposed to a forced tutorial as anyone, but I think the game needs a way to teach new users, because telling someone who just bought a game to "consult a forum/wiki/youtube videos" is simply not good game design, period.

How many people here have actually discovered any recipes for themselves anyway? I'd bet most - if not all - of you knew every recipe that existed by reading the wiki's crafting section before you actually made any sort of progress in the game.

I'm not asking for something that shoves "how to play" down someone's throat. I'm merely suggesting a handy in-game reference book that would help both new and veteran players remember their recipes, as well as help new players discover the recipes on their own if they choose not to "spoil" the entire recipe selection and just play the game, and give a few starter recipes for newbies to get a very small handle on their first night without showing them every recipe in the game like an FAQ or Wiki will.

Ranger X

Zomba13 said:
So after playing loads these past few days these are the things I want to see added:

Lanterns - Can light underwater

Mining Helmet - A hat with a lantern in it. Give it some form of durability. This was I can see what I'm doing more easily without planting a bunch of torches

Diving helmet/scuba gear - so I can breathe and explore under water easier

more furniture - chairs and table and sofas. Even if they are useless it'll make my houses look better

I would LOVE to have that (underwater helmet). I already know how to craft it:

Iron - Iron - Iron
Iron - Glass - Iron

:)

Ranger X said:
You see, here you're not adding linearity. You're simply adding a "system" and some rules. This is an almost perfect fine update for a sandbox game. The only thing that isn't perfect though is that "unique treasure" thing. There could be "unique treasure" but the game shouldn't tell how many of them there is or how many left you have to collect. Because of this very small detail, you dictate the player to do something instead of giving them a collecting/treasure hunting system.

By not telling the player how many of those treasures there is and how many you have left to find, the community would talk even more about their discoveries and the internet would even be a meta-game for recruting all of those treasures. TRUE rarity could also exist if you're the owner of a rare item that only YOU ever found. Imagine a money system in the game after that. Pure bliss.

That's because i don't want to add linearity, I want to create new objectives because there are very few current objectives that justify the survival mode. Yeah, you can make anything, even a computer. But you have creative mode for this. Survival, right now, don't have any objective aside to getting materials to make creative stuff, or play some 3D rogue without any objective.

About the game saying how many unique items there are, is not relevant. The wiki will tell you after the modders check the code :p

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
That's because i don't want to add linearity, I want to create new objectives because there are very few current objectives that justify the survival mode. Yeah, you can make anything, even a computer. But you have creative mode for this. Survival, right now, don't have any objective aside to getting materials to make creative stuff, or play some 3D rogue without any objective.

About the game saying how many unique items there are, is not relevant. The wiki will tell you after the modders check the code :p

I am not sure what you're saying. I don't want to add linearity and I was telling you that your idea wouldn't add linearity either (wich is great) except that treasure list. ;)
Oh and internet doesn't count. At least, people would DECIDE to go spoil themselves instead of checking in the game.

Ranger X said:
I am not sure what you're saying. I don't want to add linearity and I was telling you that your idea wouldn't add linearity either (wich is great) except that treasure list. ;)
Oh and internet doesn't count. At least, people would DECIDE to go spoil themselves instead of checking in the game.

I think that the misunderstanding was because I used "predefined", that implied linearity.

Roche

animlboogy said:
One major change is in user permissions now being more complex than just op or non op. All players can use the /players command to see who is on, for example. Text colors for different ranks should be working.

I already have some people in mind to promote. If you're a regular and you'd like some extra abilities like inviting players and teleporting, let me know.

Yep it's enabled I just tested out the /players command and it works, might want to get the OP updated now that the server's no longer vanilla.

Fusebox

Banned
DangerousDave said:
Survival, right now, don't have any objective aside to getting materials to make creative stuff, or play some 3D rogue without any objective.

And of course, surviving.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like a metal detector. Much like you can get an idea if there is a dungeon nearby underground by the volume of mob noises, i'd like an idea if i'm anywhere near some ore. You can dig a massive mine and completely miss everything nearby as many deposits are only a few blocks. Unless you completely carve out everything but that takes ages

Just a little bit too much randomness/luck in that part for me. Although you do end up with a ton of cobblestone :)

IrishNinja

aw, fucking damn it - tonight, someone jacked all 4 paintings off my walls, which is really shitty cause im trying to collect them for the gallery i'm building.

hope exano can track & nail down some of these guys.

Grinchy

Banned
I just started building a humble little abode on the Asscraft server :)

I can see the draw of playing online now. The spot I chose has been tough to make creeper-proof, though. They keep dropping down and taking me out when I walk out my door but I will fix that soon enough. In the mean time I am just trying to get the materials to fix the road that the creepers keep destroying. This game is so addictive!

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Whoa, wolves? What else is supposed to be coming in the next update? And when?

Only other thing that is know as far as I am concerned are that the bed will create a new spawnpoint. The "when" for an update is never known...

Ranger X said:
Only other thing that is know as far as I am concerned are that the bed will create a new spawnpoint. The "when" for an update is never known...

This.

Managing the spawnpoint is a must, specially in SMP, where you usually explore bigger distances.

Top Bottom