• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ranger X said:
I dunno if I am part of "some people" but bringing our items over should be a given. I would want to bring all my minerals and already crafted stuff. We might have a new map, it doesn't automatically mean we'd like to start 100% from scratch. The point of starting a new map was to not take too much space on the server. Now it transformed somehow into some "omg we have to start from scratch or die". the hell?

Anyhow, I never wanted a new map, your original idea of moving the spawn was perfect. I want to CONTINUE this game, not start over. And I am planning of making other donations since I would continue to play. A condition I would spare accept to go into a completely new world would be to bring over my items. It's a nice compromise for me.

Thats why I wanted to build an Ark that could accomodate everyone, both the people who want to bring all of their cobble and sand and coal, and those who just want to bring a chest or two of the hard to get stuff. Not because it really matters to me, but because I just want to make both camps as happy as possible.

Hell, I'll even offer to build the thing if no one else wants to be bothered. I've never built a big boat before, could be fun.

Jhriad

Woorloog said:
how can anyone need 9 double chests of stuff?

They don't need anything. It's the fact that they worked and spent time to gather those materials. Why should they be deprived of their hard work because some folks want a fresh start?

Up until the past two days it seems like the idea was Create New Spawn -> People move what they want to keep to new spawn -> Everything but new spawn is deleted shortly thereafter.

I don't play on the server (I've been kind of intimidated to join in since the current map's been around for so long) but I'd love to start if it wasn't for the fact that it was going to get moved/reset so soon. For what it's worth I think the Ark idea sounds awesome, I would of actually recommended that when the discussion started if I knew it was possible to copy chest contents over to a new world like that. Personally I think a Rocket would be way cooler than a Boat, I think it would make a much better center piece / monument to the civilization than a big ship sitting off shore since you could literally build around it.

Story wise, as improbable as it is having a spaceship in the Minecraft universe, it's also more representative of a high-point in technology. Think... the world has been around for ages and, after all this time, the people of the land learned so much that they built this massive space craft when they heard the world was ending. Along with their materials they sent their children into space and, hundreds of years later, that ship finally landed in a new world. The descendants of those original settlers have to start anew, without the advanced knowledge how to build or backwards engineer the spaceship.

Still, the boat is understandable since you guys already have one built, a space ship would take a hell of a lot of iron I would assume.

Jhriad

Join once the new map version is up Houston. :)

Heck you can start gathering materials now. At the very least you'll probably be able to keep your characters inventory. Never too late to start planning & working toward your next project. :)

parasight

Hey Ark, it's Foolosophy. I guess something happened to the player groups while I was away, because it thinks I'm a newbie and I can't build anything? I've been playing single player mostly since I was last on NeoCraft, but with 1.8 on the horizon I was planning on coming back. My friend BertoSunchips needs his privileges back too. Thanks!

Ark

parasight said:
Hey Ark, it's Foolosophy. I guess something happened to the player groups while I was away, because it thinks I'm a newbie and I can't build anything? I've been playing single player mostly since I was last on NeoCraft, but with 1.8 on the horizon I was planning on coming back. My friend BertoSunchips needs his privileges back too. Thanks!

I frequently delete people that haven't been on in more than a few months, so that's why ;)

I've added you both back now though :)

Vlad

Surprised nobody's posted this yet...

It's a roughly 8-minute long look at 1.8 from IGN. It's not direct feed, but it's TONS better than the other 1.8 videos we've seen so far. Got a nice look at the Endermen in there, too. I've got to say that they're not quite as creepy in motion... hopefully they'll have some terrifying sound effects or something.

Notch also mentions in the video that they're currently planning on releasing the Adventure Update in two parts, since there's so much stuff in there. Supposedly the first part is coming in the next few weeks.

bengraven

Vlad said:
Surprised nobody's posted this yet...

It's a roughly 8-minute long look at 1.8 from IGN. It's not direct feed, but it's TONS better than the other 1.8 videos we've seen so far. Got a nice look at the Endermen in there, too. I've got to say that they're not quite as creepy in motion... hopefully they'll have some terrifying sound effects or something.

Notch also mentions in the video that they're currently planning on releasing the Adventure Update in two parts, since there's so much stuff in there. Supposedly the first part is coming in the next few weeks.

I think a similar one was already on one of the last pages.

It's still a much better one than before.

I love the different kinds of buildings Notch put in like cathedrels and farms. NPC villages are going to be so much fun to build houses in.

Ranger X

Mengy said:
Thats why I wanted to build an Ark that could accomodate everyone, both the people who want to bring all of their cobble and sand and coal, and those who just want to bring a chest or two of the hard to get stuff. Not because it really matters to me, but because I just want to make both camps as happy as possible.

Hell, I'll even offer to build the thing if no one else wants to be bothered. I've never built a big boat before, could be fun.

I think it could be fun to build that boat. I can't really help because its the end of my summer classes right now but I think it could one of the last cool community projects to make that boat.

Haven't had any time to play MC lately so it's been a while since I last checked in. Just skimmed through the last few pages; are people still disscussing the future of the map? I thought we'd decided on partitioning the current map (with Ark trimming the excess)? Seems such a waste to just start again :(

Ark

Whatever happens, I wont be able to participate in any boat-building. Or at least if I do, it'll be very minimal.

College starts again on the 12th so I'll have limited anyway, topped with me being pretty bored with Minecraft 1.7 at the moment (which I think goes for most people :0)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You guys are doing a fresh restart for 1.8? Ooooooo

commissar

Oh...well.

As others have said, shifting spawn would have worked fine, even allowing for that sense of adventure.

There's nothing stopping people deleting their own stuff to start fresh either.

:[

Mengy

Well, maybe I'll just build an Ark as a fun project anyway, and after it's built we can decide if we want to use it, or just load up the Arkyo Damashi instead, or Ranger can build his rocket, or maybe we'll decide to just move the spawn and keep the old map, or maybe we will just wipe it all clean and start from complete scratch. In any case, me building a big boat won't hurt anyone.

Now, where to build this Titanic...

Grinchy

Banned
Ark said:
Whatever happens, I wont be able to participate in any boat-building. Or at least if I do, it'll be very minimal.

College starts again on the 12th so I'll have limited anyway, topped with me being pretty bored with Minecraft 1.7 at the moment (which I think goes for most people :0)
School plus New Vegas plus LittleBigPlanet 2 is my excuse for lack of Minecraft in my veins... :(

School is awesome but it sure sucks.

Jhriad said:
They don't need anything. It's the fact that they worked and spent time to gather those materials. Why should they be deprived of their hard work because some folks want a fresh start?

Up until the past two days it seems like the idea was Create New Spawn -> People move what they want to keep to new spawn -> Everything but new spawn is deleted shortly thereafter.

No shit. I don't understand why people want to limit what other people can bring over, what does it matter to you what I want to bring over? or how much of it? If you want to start fresh and bring nothing over...great, why force me to go along with you?

Mengy said:

I would like to help build it with you if you want help, something that I can work on that will be brought over. Have no desire to work on my current stuff.

Grinchy

Banned
mmm i love that water shader when it comes to pools

YaBKU.png

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
School plus New Vegas plus LittleBigPlanet 2 is my excuse for lack of Minecraft in my veins... :(

School is awesome but it sure sucks.

My classes are fucking awesome but I really wonder how I will find time for 1.8 actually. I learned today that I will have to make a full game with Gamemaker as a mid-term project and then there's a Unity game to make as the end of session's project.

I can't even begin to imagine that not only Minecraft will be there but Skyrim will too. LBP2 is already waiting for me patiently on my shelve... lol

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
My classes are fucking awesome but I really wonder how I will find time for 1.8 actually. I learned today that I will have to make a full game with Gamemaker as a mid-term project and then there's a Unity game to make as the end of session's project.

I can't even begin to imagine that not only Minecraft will be there but Skyrim will too. LBP2 is already waiting for me patiently on my shelve... lol

That's awesome that you are going to school to make games. I tried taking a programming class in high school and found it to be very challenging. But I'm in the same boat. Skyrim is just waiting, and I have all these other games to play at the same time. But 1.8 has me kinda excited to play this again.

guest1321 said:
What texture pack is that?

It's called justforcraft and I can't seem to use anything else now.

Jasoco

Banned
I wonder what features will be in 1.8 and what will be pushed to 1.9? I'm betting villages will be pushed back since NPC's aren't done yet, which sucks since it is another reason to not create a new world yet.

Toppot said:
Before 1.8 hits I want to show what I've made on the server, so people can have a look before their gone. I joined the server quite late and haven't contributed to any community projects and I feel bad for that.

My first building (bar a small shack) Located south east of Al-Medina
@_@ Outstanding.

How long did it take you build these Toppot, and did you mine everything? (I wouldn't mine everything for that, so if you did, much kudos!)

Toppot

Red Liquorice said:
@_@ Outstanding.

How long did it take you build these Toppot, and did you mine everything? (I wouldn't mine everything for that, so if you did, much kudos!)

Thanks.

First building took about 7-8 days, cutting tree's, replanting, building, and repeat, and digging out the basement took 2 days of that. Then another 2 days of that was sorting out the top and the staircases (5 in total)

Second building took a day to get lots of wood, clear land and lay a foundation, then 2 days to finish building it (about 28 hours actual building time)

and yes all mined, chopped and resourced myself, I got the schematics for the dome on the internet and followed them layer by layer, using 15 - 20 thousand wood planks. I would carry wood in my inventory then break it up into the wood planks as I needed them, meaning I didn't have to go to ground very often. I also used a flying mod to help with construction, would of taken ages to build carefully and safe. I would of probably fallen many times =P

Ark

Jasoco said:
I wonder what features will be in 1.8 and what will be pushed to 1.9? I'm betting villages will be pushed back since NPC's aren't done yet, which sucks since it is another reason to not create a new world yet.

I would presume that everything in the PAX 1.8 demo will be in the 1.8 update.

Mengy

Grinchy said:
... But I'm in the same boat. Skyrim is just waiting, and I have all these other games to play at the same time. But 1.8 has me kinda excited to play this again.

And don't forget about Diablo III right around the corner. They are still saying for the holidays this year, which puts it right after Skyrim and Minecraft 1.8. Between these three games, I don't know when I'm going to sleep this winter...o_O

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
I would presume that everything in the PAX 1.8 demo will be in the 1.8 update.
I wonder if that includes the villages, or if they'll want them to be bundled with the NPC's which they said aren't in yet. Unless they get them in by then. In which case, what else is this supposed to have that it doesn't yet?

Mengy

Jasoco said:
I wonder if that includes the villages, or if they'll want them to be bundled with the NPC's which they said aren't in yet. Unless they get them in by then. In which case, what else is this supposed to have that it doesn't yet?

Stuff he needs to add or finalize yet: NPC's, experience skillups, a final "goal" or a way to "win" the game, quests, random buried treasure. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Grinchy

Banned
guest1321 said:
Sorry, i guess I thought the water shader and texture pack were one in the same. Were would I get the water shader from?
Here's the water shader: LINK

If you have messed around with the minecraft.jar file at all, it's an incredibly simple process. I was surprised by how easy it was to install.

Jasoco

Banned
Grinchy said:
Here's the water shader: LINK

If you have messed around with the minecraft.jar file at all, it's an incredibly simple process. I was surprised by how easy it was to install.
Damn, I can't seem to get it to work. I can't find a working JAR browser for OS X, so I decompressed it with TheUnarchiver, placed the files where they belong, deleted the META_INF and recompressed and renamed it to JAR, but it gets stuck updating frozen.

I really wanted to see if this worked on my MBP. Any Mac users able to get this mod working?

Mengy

Plywood said:
When do we put stuff on the boat?

I don't think anyone's made a definite decision yet about what we are doing come 1.8. For a summary for everyone, these are our options on the table so far:

1. Keep the current server map and move the spawn far far away to get new 1.8 chunks. This will keep all of our current creations and supplies but will also balloon the server file size close to the 1GB level, and keep all of the messed up weather and biomes we now have. Not sure if new biomes will generate correctly or not. The map file size is the main issue here, it might become unmanageable.

2. Delete the server map and start with a new map for 1.8, full restart for everyone.

3. Delete the map and create a new 1.8 map, but make an Ark/ship/rocket to store and transfer our supplies to the new world. We lose everything we've created on Neocraft so far but keep our supplies and would be able to explore the new 1.8 world without worrying about ballooning the map file size.

Venfayth

Bet it's empty :l

Whenever I try and make cool stuff like that I want to put stuff inside it and make the inside equally badass, but I fail.

Rapstah

It's not complete without a Forge of Souls underneath.

Or inside. Somehow. And cut-off wall segments leading to nowhere, dumping people off in a meaningless snowy slope.

Roche

One thing I don't really think you guys are considering with the whole "move the spawn" concept is that doing that we wouldn't be able to raise the height limit.

Notch has said that it's not an official feature but that he added mod support for it. I don't know about you guys but I am really looking forward to it and would be very disappointed if we didn't add it.

Jhriad

Roche178 said:
One thing I don't really think you guys are considering with the whole "move the spawn" concept is that doing that we wouldn't be able to raise the height limit.

Until we see more details there's no reason to assume we wouldn't be able to raise the ceiling via mod on either a new map or an old one.

Toppot

Roche178 said:

Notch has said that it's not an official feature but that he added mod support for it. I don't know about you guys but I am really looking forward to it and would be very disappointed if we didn't add it.
Considering the sever is trying to be 'vanilla' the addition of any mod is something to consider carefully.

The problem with a height mod (If I'm correct from watching a conference with Jeb from Mojang) is that increasing the height limit put more stain on the game, increasing how much needs to load and can be loaded in render distances, though some of this would be cancelled out by some of the many improvements coming in 1.8.

Some people on the server can't run minecraft at 100% as it is and adding such a mod could mean they would have to reduce texture packs, render distance, graphics, resolution etc.

It would be nice, I'd love to build a 128 high, 256 wide dome, but its not needed, i could go on a creative sever to do it and I can't see the current limit to be that limiting to our survival server. The amount of blocks you'd need to make big tall structures (basing this all on doubling the height from ground) would be massive, my dome idea would need 80,000 blocks!, using wooden planks (the most efficient gathering material, bar maybe dirt) which would be 20,000 wood blocks or cutting down 4,000 average tree's. Building other things big would require vast resources, there would be massive holes or caverns in the landscape, I already hate the ugly landscape that's left behind by mining sand and sandstone.

If you want to build really high and big then a creative server is best.

Top Bottom