• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Glasswork

Toppot said:
Considering the sever is trying to be 'vanilla' the addition of any mod is something to consider carefully.

The problem with a height mod (If I'm correct from watching a conference with Jeb from Mojang) is that increasing the height limit put more stain on the game, increasing how much needs to load and can be loaded in render distances, though some of this would be cancelled out by some of the many improvements coming in 1.8.

Some people on the server can't run minecraft at 100% as it is and adding such a mod could mean they would have to reduce texture packs, render distance, graphics, resolution etc.

It would be nice, I'd love to build a 128 high, 256 wide dome, but its not needed, i could go on a creative sever to do it and I can't see the current limit to be that limiting to our survival server. The amount of blocks you'd need to make big tall structures (basing this all on doubling the height from ground) would be massive, my dome idea would need 80,000 blocks!, using wooden planks (the most efficient gathering material, bar maybe dirt) which would be 20,000 wood blocks or cutting down 4,000 average tree's. Building other things big would require vast resources, there would be massive holes or caverns in the landscape, I already hate the ugly landscape that's left behind by mining sand and sandstone.

If you want to build really high and big then a creative server is best.

The thing is, with the mountains coming in 1.8 it would be kinda of a bummer to not be able to build on them.
I don't want to raise the height limit so I can build massive monuments, I want it so I can build a mountain-top village with houses more then one-floor tall :U

Xun

Being able to build higher is a must in my opinion, it would enable oh so much more.

Being naive, why would importing a ship into the new server cause problems?

Venfayth

Xun said:
Being able to build higher is a must in my opinion, it would enable oh so much more.

Being naive, why would importing a ship into the new server cause problems?

BECAUSE THE OLD PIXELS WOULD CORRUPT THE NEW PIXELS

I don't think it would. :p

bengraven

I hope whatever we plan on doing, everyone is cool with it. I really feel like we are damned no matter what we choose right now; "damned" as in people being upset and/or leaving because of it.

I would prefer a server wipe with EVIL's plan. I've seen too many servers get way too big and full and start acting up, costing time and money. I don't want NeoCraft to go down because our world is so huge and segmented.

My second choice will be the spawn move with a wipe of the old world after a while.

Toppot

Glasswork said:
The thing is, with the mountains coming in 1.8 it would be kinda of a bummer to not be able to build on them.
I don't want to raise the height limit so I can build massive monuments, I want it so I can build a mountain-top village with houses more then one-floor tall :U

Yeah that would be nice. But limits force creativity, if you can't build on mountains then you can adapt and be more creative, like building into the wall or having 'nests' going round the top of the mountain.

It would be nice to have different wool colours
It would be nice to not have fall damage
etc etc

Lots of things would be nice and its a 'bummer' we don't have them.

At the heart Neocraft is a 'vanilla' server, we start throwing mods on and before you know it we don't have vanilla anymore. Granted, build height is a small one that doesn't change much, but it could be the start of a slippery slope. And as i mentioned it could be bad for people running the game.

Things like this have to be really thought out, if this is gonna hurt performance of the game and strain on the server then I don't think it's worth doing. We would need to see what exactly comes out in 1.8 and 1.9 and see how an increased height limit affects other servers and the game and then see if its worth bringing to our server.

Jhriad

Toppot said:
Things like this have to be really thought out, if this is gonna hurt performance of the game and strain on the server then I don't think it's worth doing.

There's no telling what sort of additional strain users or the server would see without testing it out.

Toppot said:
It would be nice to not have fall damage

Lots of things would be nice and its a 'bummer' we don't have them.

At the heart Neocraft is a 'vanilla' server, we start throwing mods on and before you know it we don't have vanilla anymore.

Technically the server allows people to avoid falling damage because players are allowed to use Zombe's mod. Not to mention the many other mods the server is running already that detract nothing from the vanilla experience. A height limit change, so long as it's not extreme, wouldn't deviate from the vanilla experience either.

The server & user system performance is the bigger concern imo.

Woorloog

Banned
One block was one cubic meter right? 1m*1m*1m. Current height limit is *consults Minecraft wiki* 128, or 64 from water level, right? So we can build 64 meter high buildings at the moment... which is awfully low IMO. I hope we'd get to build at least 100 meters from water level, preferrably more. IE, at least 196 blocks high world, with water level at 64 or so.
Hmph. <100 meters is still awfully low for "mountains" the biome code apparently has...

Toppot

Jhriad said:
There's no telling what sort of additional strain users or the server would see without testing it out.

Technically the server allows people to avoid falling damage because players are allowed to use Zombe's mod. Not to mention the many other mods the server is running already that detract nothing from the vanilla experience. A height limit change, so long as it's not extreme, wouldn't deviate from the vanilla experience either.

The server & user system performance is the bigger concern imo.

So being able to warp back home doesn't reduce the amount of fear you feel from mobs underground? It doesn't make you learn the world less and where things are? Doesn't stop you discovering cool things when you accidentally go the wrong way when walking? Not having creeper damage doesn't make you any less fearful of your building or protecting them?

These sort of things Grinchy posted about a couple of pages ago. Yes the mods are very useful and I enjoy using them to great effect, but to say they take nothing away simply isn't true. They offer peace of mind and convenience, taking away fear and exploration, taking away risk. About the only one that sort-of doesn't detract is the lockette mod, because it's not protecting your stuff from the game so much as protecting it from people.

Jhriad

Toppot said:
So being able to warp back home doesn't reduce the amount of fear you feel from mobs underground? It doesn't make you learn the world less and where things are? Doesn't stop you discovering cool things when you accidentally go the wrong way when walking? Not having creeper damage doesn't make you any less fearful of your building or protecting them?

The only thing there that isn't optional is the creeper damage. If I value exploration, which I do, I simply don't use warps. Now I said a day or two ago that I was in favor of removing public warps but that's mostly because having to use roads/rail for transport means building starts to have a more orderly appearance that I find more aesthetically pleasing.

Saying that the height limit is the thing that will be a slippery slope to who knows what is silly since it pretty much ignores all previous alterations to 'vanilla' that are present on the server. Those were hardly an evil slippery slope into the abyss so why is the height limit one?

Toppot

bengraven said:
Height control isn't really a "mod". You can still be vanilla with adjusting the height.

Any changes to minecraft out the box make it not vanilla. But the server is meant to be not 100% vanilla and I'm fine with that, I enjoy some of the mods and other changes on the server.

As I've said raising the height is something that could effect the server and people running the game adversely and needs to be tested and thought through. I wouldn't mind the height being increased if that's what people want and its safe to do and I would take advantage of it myself.

Jhriad said:
The only thing there that isn't optional is the creeper damage. If I value exploration, which I do, I simply don't use warps. Now I said a day or two ago that I was in favor of removing public warps but that's mostly because having to use roads/rail for transport means building starts to have a more orderly appearance that I find more aesthetically pleasing.

Saying that the height limit is the thing that will be a slippery slope to who knows what is silly since it pretty much ignores all previous alterations to 'vanilla' that are present on the server. Those were hardly an evil slippery slope into the abyss so why is the height limit one?

Fair point that it is up to the player not to use them. I was just stating that they do take away from the experience.

and again good point, there hasn't been a slippery slope fallen down before and a height increase probably wouldn't cause it either, I am over reacting a bit to make a point that these things have to be thought out, I doubt any previous mods were just thrown in without thinking about the downsides.

I've been playing Minecraft for a long while now, but haven't really been able to find a server

I liked. Once everyone figures out what's going with the server after 1.8 I'd love to login and

see what it's like. And I'd be more than happy to help out with community build projects if that's okay.

Jhriad

Really it just comes down to how much changing the height limit affects performance. I'm not running MC on a supercomputer over here (5 year old PC) so any significant performance hits would affect me as well so I'm reticent to say "Height Limit Go!" but I think if the performance hit isn't too bad I wouldn't mind bumping down my draw distance or something to compensate. Especially since it would open up a whole bevy of additional creative options.

Ranger X

Toppot said:

These sort of things Grinchy posted about a couple of pages ago. Yes the mods are very useful and I enjoy using them to great effect, but to say they take nothing away simply isn't true. They offer peace of mind and convenience, taking away fear and exploration, taking away risk. About the only one that sort-of doesn't detract is the lockette mod, because it's not protecting your stuff from the game so much as protecting it from people.

That's not the point anyways. It's about staying as vanilla as possible. Having warps, locked chests and such aren't altering the game much but are absolutely useful and almost imperatively needed in multiplayer. The height limit? I don't see it as much an influence on the quality of the game + it alters the game way more.

bengraven

Toppot said:
Any changes to minecraft out the box make it not vanilla. But the server is meant to be not 100% vanilla and I'm fine with that, I enjoy some of the mods and other changes on the server.

As I've said raising the height is something that could effect the server and people running the game adversely and needs to be tested and thought through. I wouldn't mind the height being increased if that's what people want and its safe to do and I would take advantage of it myself.

I disagree. Instituting a third party's modification is a mod. The height level was done by Notch and crew for the general release as an option for multiplayer servers.

I consider that an "option" not a "mod".

Toppot

bengraven said:
I disagree. Instituting a third party's modification is a mod. The height level was done by Notch and crew for the general release as an option for multiplayer servers.

I consider that an "option" not a "mod".
I don't know how the height will be adjustable, all I've heard is what Rochel said
Roche178 said:
Notch has said that it's not an official feature but that he added mod support for it.

If height adjustment is an official option in the server, like for say how many people can get on the server or something (I dunno if that it official or a mod, I'm not up on my minecraft server control) Then fine, that makes it very palatable for me. Notch/Mojang could change it or not include it between now and release. Once 1.8 is out things will be a lot clearer and we will have a better bases to make an informed discussion.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Height adjustment is not part of the game, Notch is just making it easier for mods to adjust it. But you still need mods to adjust it, and it may take some time for a working mod to become available. But more than that, Notch has already said that making the world taller has a very large impact on performance. If we do it on Neocraft, it will affect the servers performance. Substantially probably.

Personally, myself, I would rather have a server that performs well than a laggy slideshow that allows me to build taller towers. Hopefully the mods don't impact performance like it sounds they will, but I wouldn't get too optimistic about Neocraft having a higher height limit after 1.8. If we can, great, but just don't get your hopes up for a higher world.

Xux

Still having problems logging onto my friend's server. It runs through the same port as the Neocraft server (which I can access) so it doesn't seem to be a port forwarding issue.

Anyone know anything else I can try?

Ranger X

Mengy said:
Height adjustment is not part of the game, Notch is just making it easier for mods to adjust it. But you still need mods to adjust it, and it may take some time for a working mod to become available. But more than that, Notch has already said that making the world taller has a very large impact on performance. If we do it on Neocraft, it will affect the servers performance. Substantially probably.

Personally, myself, I would rather have a server that performs well than a laggy slideshow that allows me to build taller towers. Hopefully the mods don't impact performance like it sounds they will, but I wouldn't get too optimistic about Neocraft having a higher height limit after 1.8. If we can, great, but just don't get your hopes up for a higher world.

Just imagine for a minute, we NEVER could totally remove lag on Neocraft and the servers was pretty vanilla already. Now just imagine if we had such stuff + being in 1.8 with even more stuff to synch server side like NPCs and such. Could become fucking crazy.

Toppot

Xux said:
Still having problems logging onto my friend's server. It runs through the same port as the Neocraft server (which I can access) so it doesn't seem to be a port forwarding issue.

Anyone know anything else I can try?
Forgive the amount of question etc and if they sound stupid, but will help narrow down the problem

You are connecting from a home connection?
Is there any sort of parental lock or block, ie stopping you from getting on some sites?
Do you have the correct Minecraft version to connect to the server? It may require something under 1.7.3.
Have you tried doing a force update on Minecraft so that it is basically reinstalled and you can connect? (If you try this then remember and mods/texture back you have as these will be deleted) The server might be plain and not allow you in if you have mods it doesn't support.
Is there a limit on the server? like 2 people, so when you try to connect you are the 3rd person and you are stopped.
Have you tried connecting through another computer on the connection and see if it works?(If it works then we know it's your computer)
Have you tried connecting on a different connection using your username and password? (ie go round a friends house and try to connect, if it works then we know the problem is something to do with your connection or computer)
Does the server have a whitelist or something that you need to be added to?
Have you ever been able to connect to the server or you have never been able to connect?
Try connecting to it several times and write down the error(s) that pop up and post them here.

Mengy

You know, I was laying in bed last night thinking about the world height topic and 1.8, and how cool it would be to not only have a taller world but a deeper world too. 128 blocks above sea level and 128 blocks below sea level. But after I thought about it a bit, I'm not sure a deeper world would add much to the game. I mean I like the depth the world generates now. And then I also realized that I like the height the world generates now. In fact, after thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd even like the world to be taller. I think I'd actually prefer the world generation remain exactly the way it is now vertically, with the exception that you would be able to build above Y=128. So you would be able to build a huge castle or tower on top of a mountain that is at cloud level, but the world would never generate land higher than it currently does.

Now, if Notch did something to make the extra world height more interesting, if he filled those new vertical spaces with something, then my opinion would change greatly. Like, if mountains generated above cloud level would automatically be snow biomes (ie. snow capped mountains) then that would be nice. And if there were huge lakes near cloud level that drained down into rivers that flowed to sea level, on large high plateaus or in tall mountain valleys. And if Notch implemented underground biomes, like random underground areas that could be different kinds of rock or materials or even underground jungles or whole areas filled with sandstone underground, that would be awesome.

I'm just not sure a taller world adds much to the game right now. I've never really felt too limited by the current height limits.

But just think what this game is going to be years from now. Once PC tech is advanced enough and the game has mods to do anything and everything, man we will all be playing in worlds that are 1024 blocks vertically with dozens of monsters and creatures and birds and the nether and aether will be part of the overworld and there will be dozens of ores and hundreds of recipes and furniture and slopes and vehicles and NPC towns and cities and goblin invasions and dragons and underground dwarf cities and economies and RPG quests and who knows what else will be in there...

Roche

Mengy said:
I think I'd actually prefer the world generation remain exactly the way it is now vertically, with the exception that you would be able to build above Y=128. So you would be able to build a huge castle or tower on top of a mountain that is at cloud level, but the world would never generate land higher than it currently does.

This is what I was talking about in my post BTW, I don't see how raising the build limit would adversely affect the performance of the game.

Xun

Roche178 said:
This is what I was talking about in my post BTW, I don't see how raising the build limit would adversely affect the performance of the game.
Pretty much what I was thinking as well.

I wouldn't make something as high as I could for the sake of it, but the building I'm planning would benefit from being a bit bigger.

Mengy

Roche178 said:

But see, the setting that Notch has added to the game code doesn't set the build height, it sets the world height, and as such it allows the world generation to go to the new limit. So if we increase the height of Neocraft, we will get mountains and hills all the way up to the new limit, and all of that new EXTRA vertical land takes computer power and resources to render and model. Notch's setting directly effects game performance for this reason. If you double the world height you are essentially running two Minecraft games at the same time now, not just one (in terms of CPU capacity). So a PC or a server that runs laggy now will be at least twice as laggy if you double the height.

It's the only reason why Notch isn't putting an option for world height into the game interface, he doesn't like how greatly it adversely affects performance.

bengraven

Mengy said:
But just think what this game is going to be years from now. Once PC tech is advanced enough and the game has mods to do anything and everything, man we will all be playing in worlds that are 1024 blocks vertically with dozens of monsters and creatures and birds and the nether and aether will be part of the overworld and there will be dozens of ores and hundreds of recipes and furniture and slopes and vehicles and NPC towns and cities and goblin invasions and dragons and underground dwarf cities and economies and RPG quests and who knows what else will be in there...

I shivered reading this because I know...I know...I think Minecraft is aiming to be my favorite game of all time.

I do disagree about the height though: I want mountains.

I would be okay with us NOT doing it. But I will be adjusting the height in my single player game.

Jhriad

Mengy said:
But see, the setting that Notch has added to the game code doesn't set the build height, it sets the world height, and as such it allows the world generation to go to the new limit. So if we increase the height of Neocraft, we will get mountains and hills all the way up to the new limit, and all of that new EXTRA vertical land takes computer power and resources to render and model. Notch's setting directly effects game performance for this reason. If you double the world height you are essentially running two Minecraft games at the same time now, not just one (in terms of CPU capacity). So a PC or a server that runs laggy now will be at least twice as laggy if you double the height.

It's the only reason why Notch isn't putting an option for world height into the game interface, he doesn't like how greatly it adversely affects performance.

The terrain generation code is easily changed even now so it's not a limiting factor in whether or not you use an increased height limit.

Ranger X

Well, if Notch says it greatly affects performance then there's your limiting factor.

I sure don't want to trade world height for playing under 60fps. Not worth it imo.

Mengy

Okay, so we need to decide what we are doing with the server come 1.8. Ark owns and runs it, so we shouldn't burden him with coordinating getting the answer to this question. Plus he is busy playing LoL right now. He has already stated that he is okay with whatever course we choose, so the only thing to decide yet is which course we pick. This thread is really the only way to get an answer to that question, since not many people seem to be playing right now (in lieu of 1.8 coming I'd assume). I've been on every night for the past week and I mostly have the server to myself, lol.

With that in mind, I'm going to attempt to get a final answer here as to what we are doing with 1.8 Neocraft. Our choices are:

1. Full restart - wipe the map and everyone starts anew.

2. Move the spawn - stick with our current map and just start a new spawn point far away.

3. The Ark - wipe the server and start with a new map, but we store our supplies in an Ark and take them into the new world with us. (old map will be available by download)

Now, I'm going to make a list of the most active people in this thread and which course they prefer so we can hopefully reach a consensus and move ahead with a plan. Please everyone, either post in this thread or PM me with your choice. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SPEAK UP! I'll update this list with your preferences and tally them up and hopefully we come out with a clear winner:

NEOCRAFT 1.8 SURVEY:

Acullis
animlboogy
Ark
Articalys
ArtistDude88
Atomski
Awesome Animals
BaDJuJu
Barberetti
Barnaby_Jones
bathala
bengraven
Blizzard
BooJoh
Bootaaay
Bradlums
Brazil
Calm Killer
celebi23
ckohler
CoffeeJanitor
commissar
ConvenientBox
Cranzor
DangerousDave
Drazgul
DurielBlack
Eccocid
elrechazao
Enco
EskimoJoe
EVIL
evilgreg
Exano
Ferrio
Foxix
fresquito
Glasswork
Grinchy
GT Vespene
guest1321
Hawkian
HenryHSH
Houston3000
IrishNinja
jakershaker
Jasoco
Jhriad
Jtwo
Kalnos
kennah
KillerAJD
Kuran
Kyaw
Leunam
Lonestar
mcrae
Mengy 3 - The Ark
Mik2121
Mikor
Mirk
Mr_Appleby
mrklaw
NihonTiger90
nismogrendel
NotTarts
onken
Orlandu84
Pancakes
Pandaman
parasight
Piercedveil
pirata
Plywood
Professor Beef
Qwomo
r1chard
Rabbit Lord
Ranger X
Rapstah
rdelaney
Red Liquorice
Roche178
Salaadin
SatelliteOfLove
spuit*11
Suikoguy
tangmaster96
Timan
Toki1776
Toppot
Treefingers
Twig
vas_a_morir
Vinci
Vlad
webrunner
Willy105
WolfofMebu
Woorloog
xelios
Xun
Yaweee
Zomba13
ZZMitch

P.S. - note that it's not my server and I have no control over any part of it, I'm not even a mod on Neocraft. I just think we owe it to Ark to let him know how the majority wants to proceed and this seems like the best way to asnwer that question.

P.P.S. - I pulled the list from the most active posters in this thread, but if you play on Neocraft and aren't on my list then speak up and vote anyway. I'll add you to the list and count your vote in the total.

I was never much of a hoarder of supplies, I only gathered what I needed for building, all I've really got is about a double chest full of multi-coloured wool in Arkyoto, but that can easily be regathered. So I personally wouldn't mind wiping the whole thing and starting fresh, but as I know others have a ton of resources gathered I'll vote for wiping the map and moving everyone's stuff over in an Ark.

Also, I think we need to figure out what we'll do with the new spawn when the update hits - are we just going to go off and build wherever, or is there going to be some kind of plan to the area surrounding the new spawn?

Blizzard

Banned
Mengy said:
With that in mind, I'm going to attempt to get a final answer here as to what we are doing with 1.8 Neocraft. Our choices are:
Either 1 and 3 are fine to me as long as people don't fill the world with diamonds and dynamite everything.

Mengy

Juancho9 said:
When is 1.8 scheduled for release?

When it's ready! No one knows yet, but if Notch does split it into two parts then 1.8 could hit relatively soon (within a few weeks) followed by 1.9 a month or two afterwords.

So far the Ark plan is winning unanimously with 9 votes. Keep em coming!

Venfayth

Mengy said:
When it's ready! No one knows yet, but if Notch does split it into two parts then 1.8 could hit relatively soon (within a few weeks) followed by 1.9 a month or two afterwords.

So far the Ark plan is winning unanimously with 9 votes. Keep em coming!

On this topic:

jeb_ Jens Bergensten
As I said yesterday, our best guess for 1.8 release date is Sep 8th
9 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Glasswork

Mengy said:
Mengy said:
and there will be dozens of ores and hundreds of recipes and furniture and slopes and vehicles and NPC towns and cities and goblin invasions and dragons and underground dwarf cities and economies and RPG quests and who knows what else will be in there...
Mengy said:
hundreds of recipes and furniture and slopes and vehicles and NPC towns and cities and goblin invasions and dragons
Mengy said:
furniture and slopes
Mengy said:
tumblr_l45zumaSxl1qc1iql.gif

(I've posted this before but it just express my feelings whenever someone mentions slopes so well)

Put me down for option 3, by the way.

Mengy

Plywood said:

Okay, I'll put you with RangerX on #2 so he isn't alone with wanting to move the spawn. :)

The tally so far:

2 votes for #2 - Move Spawn
12 votes for #3 - New Map with the Ark

Xux

Toppot said:
Forgive the amount of question etc and if they sound stupid, but will help narrow down the problem It's cool; hopefully it's something simple.

You are connecting from a home connection? Yes.
Is there any sort of parental lock or block, ie stopping you from getting on some sites? Nope.
Do you have the correct Minecraft version to connect to the server? It may require something under 1.7.3. I dunno about this. The admin's gonna check when she gets home. She said there aren't any mods installed on it so I don't know why it wouldn't be 1.7.3 but I'll check this anyway.
Have you tried doing a force update on Minecraft so that it is basically reinstalled and you can connect? (If you try this then remember and mods/texture back you have as these will be deleted) The server might be plain and not allow you in if you have mods it doesn't support. I've done the forced update and most of the tries have been with nothing or just a texture pack. I'm going to try with the mods she has on her end (minimap and itemfinder) but she said they weren't server side so I don't know if it matters.
Is there a limit on the server? like 2 people, so when you try to connect you are the 3rd person and you are stopped. It's twenty. I'm gonna be the third person.
Have you tried connecting through another computer on the connection and see if it works?(If it works then we know it's your computer) Yes.
Have you tried connecting on a different connection using your username and password? (ie go round a friends house and try to connect, if it works then we know the problem is something to do with your connection or computer) Haven't tried this.
Does the server have a whitelist or something that you need to be added to? Nope.
Have you ever been able to connect to the server or you have never been able to connect? Never.
Try connecting to it several times and write down the error(s) that pop up and post them here. It's been "Failed to Connect/Connection timed out: connect" every time.

I'm up for moving the resources in the ark as long as it's possible to have the map uploaded so that I can play it on single player. I think so much time and love that has been put into so many projects shouldn't go to waste and despite being on the server for a while now, I've yet to explore so much!

WillyFive

I say #2, because we can keep the Old World as a legendary and mystical land in the horizon, but can still start anew like a new server.

Top Bottom