• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Souplak

Ok dont know if my vote counts since im more of a lurker, but I vote for 2#. So many amazing buldings, it would be a shame to not be able to visit them.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
I vote #3.

I would be fine with #2 as well.

Spent to FUCKING long farming mats to just say hey, lets start over. I wasn't here for the duplicator weeks either. 1.8 is going to be huge and I do not want to have to spend the first couple of days farming my ass off to enjoy it the way I would like too. I want to explore farm and build. Do I have an ungodly amount of mats, no. I just keep them at a nice level so that I am good to go on 1 project if need be, after every project I do, I farm all over again.

Toppot

Xux said:
The fix is usually simple, its the journey to the fix that is complex =P

By the sounds of it 1.7.3 should be fine, if that's what she and the other person use then this won't be the problem
Shouldn't be a mod issue either since nothing is server side.
You just said Yes to 'tried it on another computer same connection' did it work on that other computer using the same connection?
If no then trying it at a friends house is the next step.

Is by any chance the other person (not the admin) that uses the server, on the same connection as the admin?

HenryHSH

I have a shitton (and I mean a shitton before the dupe bug) of diamonds, etc. and I vote for 1. a complete wipe.
Let's start playing this game from scratch.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
kodt said:
I didn't make the list of most active users, but I would vote #1 or #3 either would be fine with me.

Thanks kodt. I pulled the list from the most active posters in this thread, but I'm sure there are a bunch of people who play on Neocraft regularly but don't post much. Even if you aren't on my list, speak up and vote anyway, I'm adding voters who I missed and counting their votes too.

The tally is now:

(2 votes) #1 - Full Restart
(4 votes) #2 - Move Spawn
(16 votes) #3 - New Map with The Ark

It occurred to me that people who want #1 essentially get their wish if #3 wins, they just don't have to put anything on The Ark and it will be a full restart for them. I'm kinda surprised there aren't more for #2 yet, I expected it to be closer.

Xux

Toppot said:
The fix is usually simple, its the journey to the fix that is complex =P

By the sounds of it 1.7.3 should be fine, if that's what she and the other person use then this won't be the problem
Shouldn't be a mod issue either since nothing is server side.
You just said Yes to 'tried it on another computer same connection' did it work on that other computer using the same connection? If no then trying it at a friends house is the next step.
Oh, sorry; no it didn't.
Toppot said:
Is by any chance the other person (not the admin) that uses the server, on the same connection as the admin?
No, they're on separate connections.

I'll have to try it on another connection.

Jasoco

Banned
Barnaby_Jones said:
I'm up for moving the resources in the ark as long as it's possible to have the map uploaded so that I can play it on single player. I think so much time and love that has been put into so many projects shouldn't go to waste and despite being on the server for a while now, I've yet to explore so much!
This is what I think is best. The old stuff would still be archived, but you'd have an all new world to start over with.

You could also set a date as the "freeze" time where the old world is archived, then give people a few days to reclaim as many of their resources from their old constructions as possible to save in the Ark before the world is destroyed and rebuilt. This way we'd A) have the old world to play in. B) Have all our old resources, or at least as many as we can grab so there's less mining later and C) a totally new world to play in with all the stuff we had from before. And you wouldn't HAVE to use the Ark if you didn't want to.

Personally, I think in a few months, everyone would be so happy with their new constructions in the new world that they won't care about their old ones. Especially the people who will inevitably spend their time rebuilding their old stuff better than it was anyway.

An alternative would be to keep the old world, make the new spawn far away, and give people about 30-60 days to bring their old stuff over from the old world to the new one before Ark destroys the old chunks and warps to let them regenerate as the new world. This option would let us destroy our old creations if we want on our own time or keep them temporarily for reference while we recreate them in the new world.

Of course the only thing I've built in the old world is a house by a lake in the Tundra. I will recreate it elsewhere in the new world and it will be better, faster, stronger than before. Even if I reclaim all my materials first.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still say #1, but I guess you people want to be able to start your giant castles and mansions 30 seconds after you long in.

Are you guys actually going to make a boat? I would think a giant cobble stone cube would be so much easier.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't care about losing my stuff but I can understand if other people would prefer to bring their items over. I'll vote #3.

#1 would be the coolest though. Everyone starting from scratch would probably mean groups of people mining and exploring together(since no one would have anything and we'll all be logging in right when the update hits). All the new stuff could be discovered communally instead of most people having no real reason to go looking for materials.

bengraven

I'm only asking for 2 double chests btw.

I don't mine very much, so I don't have a lot of precious minerals, but the ones I do have I'd like to hold on to. I'd also like to keep my bricks and clay because I don't want to have to compete with you all to try and find the rare caches throughout the world.

Mengy said:
Thanks kodt. I pulled the list from the most active posters in this thread, but I'm sure there are a bunch of people who play on Neocraft regularly but don't post much. Even if you aren't on my list, speak up and vote anyway, I'm adding voters who I missed and counting their votes too.

Ahhhh in that case, I just became a citizen of the NeoCraft server 2 days ago. So I don't have too much invested in the old world. I would say Option 1 is a bit too "extreme", there really is no reason for everyone to start right from scratch again. Option 2 would inevitably lead to people abandoning the old world anyway. That leaves Option 3 which gets my vote.

I think it is an inspired idea to have an "ARK" and maybe I am just sad but it brings a hell of a lot to the old world's last days. When I look out as the sun is setting you really do feel as if "Armageddon" is approaching for the 1.7 world and time is running out to get our few possessions sorted before the end. So Option 3 all the way.

Ranger X

Drkirby said:
I think the best solution would be a simple "You can bring what every you can carry"

Nah, this doesn't please people who wants to bring their stuff. It's also 50% of what's cool about making an ark imo. "Bringing over what we can carry" equates to #1 basically.

Also, I don't know what's the problem if people bring their stuff. I mean, Minecraft is a sandbox, it's about making your own fun. Your solution is SUPER EASY -- just bring what you can carry in the new world and start from there. Why would MY pleasure of keeping my stuff prevents you from having fun starting from there??

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Number 1 would be fine with me because I haven't had any items since the server ate my house. Been to busy at work to log much anymore.

If that is not the popular choice then I will vote number 3 so everyone can still have their items. I am fine with either.

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
just bring what you can carry in the new world and start from there.
That's what I'm doing and I couldn't care less what other people do with their stuff. I put diamonds, coal, and other odds and ends in my player inventory and that's all I want. If someone wants 10 chests full of dirt blocks carried over to begin a grassy penis tower right away, that is ok with me (or maybe it's not....).

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
That's what I'm doing and I couldn't care less what other people do with their stuff. I put diamonds, coal, and other odds and ends in my player inventory and that's all I want. If someone wants 10 chests full of dirt blocks carried over to begin a grassy penis tower right away, that is ok with me (or maybe it's not....).

That's the way to see it! :)

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Glasswork said:
A ghast attacked you in your sleep :p

Hah :p Haven't seen a ghast yet...

Naw, I did my usual routine when I hit a new cavern system; set up a little house in the wall, put down a furnace and crafting table and bed and I go use the bed and BOOM.

Grr, I really want to be able to connect to Neocraft through my campus network but I keep timing out everytime I try to connect. I even tried to email the network people but I get no response.

:(

Ark

Jhriad said:
Ark can you add Krovan & AloysiusJr as citizens?

If you shoot me a PM I can add them in like 6 hours, I'm literally just heading off now.

Inferno313 said:
Grr, I really want to be able to connect to Neocraft through my campus network but I keep timing out everytime I try to connect. I even tried to email the network people but I get no response.

:(

Try phoning them up? :(

Pennybags

Ark said:
If you shoot me a PM I can add them in like 6 hours, I'm literally just heading off now.

Try phoning them up? :(

I would like to be added as well. I don't exactly plan on doing anything other than spectate
until the update hits, though.

commissar

Willy105 said:
I think #2 has the best of both words, we get the new server experience, and all our old stuff stays safe in a land far away.
Yep.
Put me down for #2 as well.

Unless there's a 500mb server space limit or whatever I vote just shift spawn.

If there really is a space issue then I vote #3

Anything else is unnecessarily punishing people who have invested a lot of time into things just to pander to those who barely play on the fucking server in the first place.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
NEOCRAFT 1.8 SURVEY UPDATE:

Here are our choices of what to do with the server come 1.8:

1. Full restart - wipe the map and everyone starts anew.

2. Move the spawn - stick with our current map and just start a new spawn point far away.

3. The Ark - wipe the server and start with a new map, but we store our supplies in an Ark and take them into the new world with us. (old map will be available by download)

Here are the votes so far:

Acullis 3 - The Ark
animlboogy
Ark 3 - The Ark
Articalys
ArtistDude88
Atomski
Awesome Animals
BaDJuJu 3 - The Ark
Barberetti
Barnaby_Jones 3 - The Ark
bathala
bengraven 3 - The Ark
Blizzard 3 - The Ark
BooJoh
Bootaaay 3 - The Ark
Bradlums
Brazil
Calm Killer 3 - The Ark
celebi23 3 - The Ark
Charmingcharlie 3 - The Ark
ckohler
CoffeeJanitor
commissar 2 - Move Spawn
ConvenientBox
Cranzor
DangerousDave
Dkdirby 1 - Full Restart
Drazgul
DurielBlack
Eccocid
elrechazao
Enco
EskimoJoe
EVIL 3 - The Ark
evilgreg
Exano
Ferrio
Foxix
fresquito
Glasswork 3 - The Ark
Grinchy 3 - The Ark
GT Vespene
guest1321
Hawkian
HenryHSH 1 - Full Restart
Houston3000
IrishNinja
jakershaker
Jasoco 3 - The Ark
Jhriad
Jtwo
Kalnos
kennah
KillerAJD
kodt 3 - The Ark
Kuran
Kyaw
Leunam
Lonestar
mcrae
Mengy 3 - The Ark
Mik2121
Mikor
Mirk
Mr_Appleby
mrklaw
NihonTiger90
nismogrendel
NotTarts
onken
Orlandu84
Pancakes
Pandaman
parasight 3 - The Ark
Piercedveil
pirata
Plywood 2 - Move Spawn
Professor Beef
Qwomo
r1chard
Rabbit Lord
Ranger X 2 - Move Spawn
Rapstah 3 - The Ark
rdelaney
Red Liquorice
Roche178 3 - The Ark
Salaadin
SatelliteOfLove
Soulpak 2 - Move Spawn
spuit*11
Suikoguy
tangmaster96
Timan
Toki1776 3 - The Ark
Toppot 3 - The Ark
Treefingers
Twig
vas_a_morir
Vinci
Vlad
webrunner
Willy105 2 - Move Spawn
WolfofMebu
Woorloog 1 - Full Restart
xelios
Xun
Yaweee
Zomba13
ZZMitch

TOTALS:

(3 votes) 1. Full Restart
(5 votes) 2. Move Spawn on current map
(21 votes) 3. New Map with The Ark

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, I vote the Ark. As has been marked. I wanna know how many chests we get for it. I currently have 6 double chests in the basement of my house with some emptiness, but I could probably get away with 4 doubles if we're allowed. I don't want to be an ann hog though and hog all the space. Just tell me when the Ark is built and where my chests are and I'll get to work putting my stuff in it.
3AQmK.gif

I still say if we only do #2, we should keep the old world on the map only temporarily and eventually erase it when it becomes clear that everyone's moved on, and if they don't move on, entice them to somehow. I feel if the old world is kept, we should all be working on moving into the new world's chunks by dismantling our old structures or mining the shit out of the old world and moving its resources into the new world.

But my vote is still 3. 1.8 is going to be so good, it'll be silly to keep the old chunks. Booty Bay 2 will look SOOOO much more awesome at the edge of a REAL ocean. And Al-Medina 2 will make more sense in a REAL desert. Know what I mean?

I vote 3. Seems to be the best option for everyone. I don't really want to see my stuff go away but I have many ideas for new builds.

I am however against some made up limit on the number of chests I can bring over. I would like to bring over a fair amount of stuff and I am not talking about cobble and dirt. It is not stuff I need but it is my time and effort and that is not too much to ask. Also, please leave Warps or someting like warps in (portals?), I don't give a shit about taking a minecart around the map. Maybe others do, they can build their tracks and never take a warp.

**Also, I would really love to be involved in the construction of the Ark/ship. Mengy you said something about it too, we should get together and work on it.

Vlad

I vote Ark, but limit it to one single-chest per person. Make people really think about what they want to save.

Ranger X

Can someone explain to me who's making compromises with the Ark option?

I can't help but see it as selfish everytime someone says they would like to start from scratch. With option 3, YOU CAN START FROM SCRATCH. Just put nothing into the Ark and voila. Are you guys like 3 years old and go like "but but but, the others will have stuff to start with and not me"? I mean, you want to start from scratch or not??

Anyhow, I don't understand. I don't understand when it's so easy to let everybody have their own fun. Why would you guys prevent yourself your pleasure of starting from scratch when the Ark will move worlds?

I really shouldn't have a say in this but if you guys do the Ark, a small room should be built for each person who wishes to participate in the move with a bed. That person should be able to fit as many chests as they can in there if they want. Something like a tiny 3x3x3 room with a bed could theoretically hold 7 double chests... if they really want to fill it in that much.

That being said, taking more than a couple double chests seems stupid to me. That's way way way more than you need to hold thousands upon thousands of precious ores, dust, wool, and monster drops. Especially if you take your player inventory as well.

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
I vote Ark, but limit it to one single-chest per person. Make people really think about what they want to save.
No. Fuck no. You want to use one chest, you use one chest. There's plenty of room on this so-called "ark" for a lot of stuff. Chests hold 27 stacks each. Double ones 54. And stacks of normal items are 64 each. This Ark is probably a couple set aside chunks with a neat cobblestone building on it filled with chests. Each chunk itself is 16x16x128. Above ground it's 64 high. So that's a huge amount of space in one single chunk for us to store our stuffs.

How is this Ark being carried out? Is it going to be built on the current world, then copied and pasted into the new world when it comes out? Or are we using the same world seed (The world will be completely different on the same seed no matter what seed you use right now.) but with the old chunks erased to let new ones generate?

Mik2121

Oh, some sort of storage building would be pretty cool.

Give each person a small room about 4x3 or something where they can also fit a bed for the first few days in the new world, and let us put as many things as possible inside there.

If the building was done right, we could even have it in the new world's Spawn, and it would also be the first big building in the new world.

Jasoco said:
No. Fuck no. You want to use one chest, you use one chest. There's plenty of room on this so-called "ark" for a lot of stuff. Chests hold 27 stacks each. Double ones 54. And stacks of normal items are 64 each. This Ark is probably a couple set aside chunks with a neat cobblestone building on it filled with chests. Each chunk itself is 16x16x128. Above ground it's 64 high. So that's a huge amount of space in one single chunk for us to store our stuffs.

How is this Ark being carried out? Is it going to be built on the current world, then copied and pasted into the new world when it comes out? Or are we using the same world seed (The world will be completely different on the same seed no matter what seed you use right now.) but with the old chunks erased to let new ones generate?

I believe we have to build it in water, and ark is just gonna copy the ship over.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i vote ark and also like the one chest idea.

we dont need people to bring in their cobblestone collection.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
Oh, some sort of storage building would be pretty cool.

Give each person a small room about 4x3 or something where they can also fit a bed for the first few days in the new world, and let us put as many things as possible inside there.

If the building was done right, we could even have it in the new world's Spawn, and it would also be the first big building in the new world.

That's precisely what the plan is.
The game is that we make a huge ark, fill it with our stuff (or not, if you want to start from scratch) and then Ark will paste the vessel into a new world when 1.8 hits. It will looks like we "traveled" into a new world.

Roche

I think before we decide on how many chests we allocate to each person, we should know how many people want a spot on the ark.

So post here if you want in and I'll tally it up later.

Roche178 said:
I think before we decide on how many chests we allocate to each person, we should know how many people want a spot on the ark.

So post here if you want in and I'll tally it up later.

Just look at the voting.

Roche

Rabbit Lord said:
Just look at the voting.

Well people who voted against it may still want a spot. Although we could make space for everyone who voted regardless of whether or not they take it.

Roche178 said:
Well people who voted against it may still want a spot. Although we could make space for everyone who voted regardless of whether or not they take it.

Thats the best bet, just make lots of space.

Jordan

Xux said:
Oh, sorry; no it didn't.
No, they're on separate connections.

I'll have to try it on another connection.

Xux, your friend who's server it is - are they hosting it from their home or from a hosted server?

Is the port forwarded? So when you hit their IP/Domain for the server it knows where to look

Just as an example, if I hit an IP from an external address 123.123.123.123 going to the IP of your friends server 231.231.231.231, that's only hitting the router, it won't know where to look so the port would have to know where it's going.
So their router would have to say if 231.231.231.231 is hit with an incoming connection on port 25565 then go to internal address 192.168.0.5 for example.

But then this all depends if it's being hosted at home or from a hosted server somewhere.

Top Bottom