• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

If people on the server actually made regular donations to the community chests and didn't ninja everything out the next day... I would vote just putting a ton of chests on the ship and pooling all our stuff TOGETHER. Surely we could hold our most valuables on us during the transition (unless you duped 35 stacks of diamond cubes or something, then you're just being greedy). Then once on the new map we can use the ship as a community chest area, or move it all to a new community chest area.

But... I refer to my first sentence.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, that reminds me again, is there any sort of Market Mod? Where we could have some sort of NPC, or even just a Talking Box, which can buy and sell stuff for an in server currency, which could also be used to buy land, and used as a tool to try and collect items for the community projects? Have the thing normally auto adjust the prices to reflect the actual supply and demand of stuff, so it would take a sever stacks of cobble to maybe get a Diamond someone sold to the store. Or you could sell the Diamond Block to use to buy land.

The only thing I have to say is that if we sell land, it should be both expensive, and have some sort of tax to make sure you are actually playing.

Xux

Jordan91 said:
Xux, your friend who's server it is - are they hosting it from their home or from a hosted server?

Is the port forwarded? So when you hit their IP/Domain for the server it knows where to look

Just as an example, if I hit an IP from an external address 123.123.123.123 going to the IP of your friends server 231.231.231.231, that's only hitting the router, it won't know where to look so the port would have to know where it's going.
So their router would have to say if 231.231.231.231 is hit with an incoming connection on port 25565 then go to internal address 192.168.0.5 for example.

But then this all depends if it's being hosted at home or from a hosted server somewhere.

It's hosted. It uses the same port (she copy pasta'd the .txt into AIM for me to look at) as the Neocraft server which I can access fine. I've tried it with and without the port after the server. I had her check and the port's even closed on her computer and she gets on fine. Her friend typed just the server address and it worked the first time for her as well.

I'm starting to lean towards it being an ISP issue.

Ranger X

Drkirby said:
Oh, that reminds me again, is there any sort of Market Mod? Where we could have some sort of NPC, or even just a Talking Box, which can buy and sell stuff for an in server currency, which could also be used to buy land, and used as a tool to try and collect items for the community projects? Have the thing normally auto adjust the prices to reflect the actual supply and demand of stuff, so it would take a sever stacks of cobble to maybe get a Diamond someone sold to the store. Or you could sell the Diamond Block to use to buy land.

The only thing I have to say is that if we sell land, it should be both expensive, and have some sort of tax to make sure you are actually playing.

The goal of this server (so far) is to be as vanilla as possible. I doubt such mods would be installed. (I also personally wouldn't want them)

Glasswork

Ranger X said:
The goal of this server (so far) is to be as vanilla as possible. I doubt such mods would be installed. (I also personally wouldn't want them)
I don't think Ark ever said it was to be as vanilla as possible.
infact, Ark did talk about an economy way back, dunno what happened to that though, I think it could be a good addition.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jasoco said:
How is this Ark being carried out? Is it going to be built on the current world, then copied and pasted into the new world when it comes out? Or are we using the same world seed (The world will be completely different on the same seed no matter what seed you use right now.) but with the old chunks erased to let new ones generate?

It's been suggested we use the Arkyo Damashi at Arkyoto as an Ark, but I am planning on building a new dedicated ship as an Ark and then we can compare the two and choose which one we want to use. The new ship will have MORE than enough room to accommodate anyone who wants to bring either a few double chests or a few dozen chests full of cobble and dirt. I'd rather give people the choice on their own than tell them what they can and can't bring.

Articalys

I personally feel that a full refresh (option 1) is more in spirit with the grand nature of the update, but I can understand why people who have become attached to resources they've spent precious time collecting would prefer option 3.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ranger X said:
Ark talked about wanting to make it so people can buy land, a market would be the best way to fun such a system, and get people to "donate" stuff for large projects.

One thing though, do you guys really need to build an elaborate ship? Why not simply make a cube shaped cobble stone building?

commissar

Drkirby said:
One thing though, do you guys really need to build an elaborate ship? Why not simply make a cube shaped cobble stone building?
Minecraft is a game where you can build cool things out of blocks :]

Ranger X

Glasswork said:
I don't think Ark ever said it was to be as vanilla as possible.
infact, Ark did talk about an economy way back, dunno what happened to that though, I think it could be a good addition.

I mean that was the consensus, not that Ark isn't open to people wanting mods.
I'm pretty sure Ark would go and try to please the majority. Unless we want floating trees of course. ;)

I've been working on my single player world this week. I was trying to get it finished and stockpile some items before 1.8

Here is how it looks now:

h4HAj.jpg

Here is a before (months ago) and after from mcmap:

eXWVA.jpg

Big img of the pic above:

http://i.imgur.com/0lJQL.jpg

Venfayth

Ringmail's actually been in the files for a long time, the only way you can get it in game is to craft it with fire blocks (ie you can't unless you're a cheater cheater pumpkin eater)

But yeah those vines on floating islands look awesome :D Floating islands have always intrigued me in this game.

Mengy

I've got a question for Ark, or for anyone who has ever run a server and wiped their world map and started with a new one. Our characters (and their inventories) are stored in the world file, I think, so if we wipe the map, then we all log onto the new 1.8 map at the new spawn point but with empty inventories, correct? I mean, can people fill their personal inventory with diamonds and tools and pistons and such and log on to the new world with it intact, or will they log in with an empty inventory?

I guess the short version of the question is this: is the Ark the only way to carry supplies into the new 1.8 server map, or will we be able to carry things over in our characters inventory?

Venfayth

Mengy said:
I've got a question for Ark, or for anyone who has ever run a server and wiped their world map and started with a new one. Our characters (and their inventories) are stored in the world file, I think, so if we wipe the map, then we all log onto the new 1.8 map at the new spawn point but with empty inventories, correct? I mean, can people fill their personal inventory with diamonds and tools and pistons and such and log on to the new world with it intact, or will they log in with an empty inventory?

I guess the short version of the question is this: is the Ark the only way to carry supplies into the new 1.8 server map, or will we be able to carry things over in our characters inventory?

Some weird data file manipulation can be done to preserve inventories (it'd be a fuckton of work to do with as many players currently exist on neocraft), but you're correct when you say that everyone starts at spawn with nothing in their inventory when a new map is created.

Something like the Ark would be the most feasible way to transfer items on such a large scale.

Glasswork

Acullis said:
Some weird data file manipulation can be done to preserve inventories (it'd be a fuckton of work to do with as many players currently exist on neocraft), but you're correct when you say that everyone starts at spawn with nothing in their inventory when a new map is created.

Something like the Ark would be the most feasible way to transfer items on such a large scale.
Or create a new spawn, which is just teleporting really far away :p

Man, at first I thought that vine picture was a willow tree, am so disappoint ;A;

bengraven

I'm starting to actually think maybe we should just move spawn. With some of the talk of changes in 1.9 like stronghold objectives and NPC quests, I'm wondering it wouldn't be better to wait until 1.9 to start fresh.

Glasswork said:

Man, at first I thought that vine picture was a willow tree, am so disappoint ;A;

What makes you think we can't make a willow tree with them? :)

Ark

Glasswork said:

If it wasn't for your post I would have kept on thinking it was a willow tree :(

@Mengy: I've never reset a world file that actually has progress on it before, so I'm afraid I wouldn't know :(

Orlandu84

I vote for #3. Originally, I did not want to see the map reset, but I think it will create a world of good.
Get it? New map, new world? I too can make bad puns!
At the same time, I think we should allow people to take somethings with us. For me it gives me motivation to mine some diamonds etc to make the transition more enjoyable.

Mengy

LOL, Notch added snouts to pigs today, apparently in a session of programming and drinking:

jYWW1.png

Mengy

NEOCRAFT 1.8 SURVEY UPDATE:

Here are our choices of what to do with the server come 1.8:

1. Full restart - wipe the map and everyone starts anew.

2. Move the spawn - stick with our current map and just start a new spawn point far away.

3. The Ark - wipe the server and start with a new map, but we store our supplies in an Ark and take them into the new world with us. (old map will be available by download)

Here are the votes so far:

Acullis 3 - The Ark
animlboogy
Ark 3 - The Ark
Articalys 3 - The Ark
ArtistDude88 3 - The Ark
Atomski
Awesome Animals
BaDJuJu 3 - The Ark
Barberetti
Barnaby_Jones 3 - The Ark
bathala
bengraven 3 - The Ark
Blizzard 3 - The Ark
BooJoh
Bootaaay 3 - The Ark
Bradlums
Brazil
Calm Killer 3 - The Ark
celebi23 3 - The Ark
Charmingcharlie 3 - The Ark
ckohler
CoffeeJanitor
commissar 2 - Move Spawn
ConvenientBox
Cranzor
DangerousDave
Dkdirby 1 - Full Restart
Drazgul
DurielBlack
Eccocid
elrechazao
Enco
EskimoJoe
EVIL 3 - The Ark
evilgreg
Exano
Ferrio
Foxix
fresquito
Glasswork 3 - The Ark
Grinchy 3 - The Ark
GT Vespene
guest1321
Hawkian
HenryHSH 1 - Full Restart
Houston3000 3 - The Ark
IrishNinja
jakershaker
Jasoco 3 - The Ark
Jhriad
Jtwo
Kalnos
kennah
KillerAJD
kodt 3 - The Ark
Kuran
Kyaw
Leunam
Lonestar
Maddness 3 - The Ark
mcrae 3 - The Ark
Mengy 3 - The Ark
Mik2121 3 - The Ark
Mikor
Mirk
Mr_Appleby
mrfolego 3 - The Ark
mrklaw
NihonTiger90
nismogrendel
NotTarts
onken 3 - The Ark
Orlandu84 3 - The Ark
Pancakes
Pandaman 3 - The Ark
parasight 3 - The Ark
Piercedveil
pirata
Plywood 2 - Move Spawn
Professor Beef
Qwomo
r1chard
Rabbit Lord 3 - The Ark
Ranger X 2 - Move Spawn
Rapstah 3 - The Ark
rdelaney
Red Liquorice
Roche178 3 - The Ark
Salaadin
SatelliteOfLove
Soulpak 2 - Move Spawn
spuit*11 3 - The Ark
Suikoguy
tangmaster96
Timan
Toki1776 3 - The Ark
Toppot 3 - The Ark
Treefingers
Twig
vas_a_morir
Vinci
Vlad 3 - The Ark
webrunner
Willy105 2 - Move Spawn
WolfofMebu
Woorloog 1 - Full Restart
xelios
Xun 3 - The Ark
Yaweee
Zomba13
ZZMitch

TOTALS:

(3 votes) 1. Full Restart
(5 votes) 2. Move Spawn on current map
(35 votes) 3. New Map with The Ark

EVIL

Drkirby said:
Ark talked about wanting to make it so people can buy land, a market would be the best way to fun such a system, and get people to "donate" stuff for large projects.

I know just the guy to call.

bengraven

Fuck yes, so this is why we can't stack chests. He finally got around to it.

Now what's the second thing?

^^^ - maybe. Maybe he's improved the colors of sunsets.

Grinchy

Banned
What kind of saplings are those? Is that supposed to be the 2nd thing?

edit: lol i was beat so bad on the cloud issue. and yeah maybe it has to do with the fog. i haven't used the default texture pack in a while so it all looks weird to me anyway

EVIL

Toppot said:
*cough* the clouds are 3D not flat now *cough*

Unless thats an already known feature?
if you put your graphix on fancy then they are 3d

and I think the dead bushes are tumbleweed, I hope they will tumble :p

bengraven

Pretty sure it's just a better blend of colors in sunset/sunrises.

Grinchy said:
What kind of saplings are those? Is that supposed to be the 2nd thing?

edit: lol i was beat so bad on the cloud issue. and yeah maybe it has to do with the fog. i haven't used the default texture pack in a while so it all looks weird to me anyway

No, those are the dry bushes that you can already find in deserts.

Toppot

Roche178 said:
Clouds have always been 3d though.
Rapstah said:
That's been in the game for over a year.
Grinchy said:
edit: lol i was beat so bad on the cloud issue.
EVIL said:
if you put your graphix on fancy then they are 3d
th_smiley_embarrassed.png

My bad... they are flat on 'Fast' graphics and default textures (What I play on)

*sheepishly goes to the corner, with head held in shame, hands in pockets and rubbing shoe on the floor*

Top Bottom