• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

commissar

Ark said:
I'll make a backup of the server right before I wipe it, so don't worry :)

If that's what you meant..
Oh. Sorry, no I meant whether the backup for final building of things would be at the wipe or if it would come a few days beforehand.

spuit*11

Banned
The Ark looks great so far, can we already start moving our stuff in?

I have about 20-ish stacks of wooden logs left, so if you need any more just say so.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, the voting seems to have slowed down. Here is the current summary:

TOTALS:

(3 votes) 1. Full Restart
(5 votes) 2. Move Spawn on current map
(36 votes) 3. New Map with The Ark

At this point I don't think there is any question about it, we are taking an Ark full of our supplies into a new map for the server.

NOW, do we want to start the new world for 1.8, or do we want to wait until 1.9 just to be sure we don't miss any new chunk changes? LOL

Yeah, there's no point waiting for 1.9 when we have no idea how long it will take to arrive. Spawn a new map with 1.8 and then when 1.9 is actually on the horizon, assess the situation then.

Also, when 1.9 hits I doubt our map will have grown to the size of the current NeoCraft, so it would presumably be easier to move the spawn into new, empty 1.9 chunks rather than wipe the map again.

bengraven

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, there's no point waiting for 1.9 when we have no idea how long it will take to arrive. Spawn a new map with 1.8 and then when 1.9 is actually on the horizon, assess the situation then.

Also, when 1.9 hits I doubt our map will have grown to the size of the current NeoCraft, so it would presumably be easier to move the spawn into new, empty 1.9 chunks rather than wipe the map again.

Well we only have a couple months before Minecraft is officially released and Notch has promised 1.9 before that. Or "assured" us.

I think our world will be slightly smaller than now when 1.9 is released.

Can we start filling the chests? Is there a limit?

Hope this isn't threadjacking too much, but I was inspired by Minecraft (and took sprites from the upcoming Survivors of Ragnarok + one from the scribblenauts thread here :D) and worked on a little 2d prototype over a few weekends recently just to see what a 2d Minecraft could feel like. You can see a prototype here:

dwarfs03small.png

http://www.warsoup.com/builds/sein/cavedwarfs.html

Best played with a X360 Controller. I thought Minecraft in splitscreen on a console with a few people all building at the same time from the couch could be super fun. Made a splitscreen prototype of an older build:

http://www.warsoup.com/builds/sein/cavedwarfs2p.html

Here's a video regarding the inventory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uuvhSruqSo

Always thought with some more RPG elements and so on, it could be pretty cool. Don't know if I'll ever have time to do really develop this, but thought it was interesting, especially for people that enjoy Minecraft as much as I do :)

Hey, is there any URL that I can connect to neocraft through? I'm still trying to get it to work on my campus network, and I've found that servers that have a url like any of reddit's (ex: P.nerd.nu) work. Any that require me to type in an IP address don't work. I have NO IDEA why this seems to be the case, and it's probably really ignorant of me. But I'm just asking if Neocraft has some kind of URL.

limlark

Piercedveil said:
Has anyone else had a griefing problem? Lots of things in my home are missing and my automatic door is now broken :(
Last night misanthropy said someone hit his house and took his coal...

mcrae

Rabbit Lord said:
Not yet, let me finish up first. Figure out how many chests will be in the ship and way to divide them up.
make it bigger if you run out of room.

let individuals make the inside of the ark. much more fun that way.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It sounds like we are going to use Rabbit's ark, which is fine, but I thought I'd show what the ship I built looks like:

2011-09-04_142344.png

2011-09-04_142511.png

Some people said they wanted a rocket ship, others said they wanted a seafaring vessel, so I combined the two into a space battleship that lands in water (like something from Star Blazers). It's not done yet, I have some detailing to do, especially to the engine room, but the outer shell is mostly finished. It was fun to build.

If anyone wants to go see it just walk out on Ark's minecart bridge from the spawn to his castle.

Ark

Holy shit Mengy, that thing is awesome! :D

Having two Ark's actually makes things more interesting. In the new world we could have two separate colonies that start up. A 'futuristic' sort of colony that spurs off from Mengy's Ark, and a more 'Human' colony that spurs off from Nine's Ark.

Or Ark could build an Ark creating a colony of Ark's spurring off from the Arky Ark of Ark's.

Woorloog

Banned
Ark said:
Having two Ark's actually makes things more interesting. In the new world we could have two separate colonies that start up. A 'futuristic' sort of colony that spurs off from Mengy's Ark, and a more 'Human' colony that spurs off from Nine's Ark.
Can i have my own ark (and i mean single person ark, not third public one)? I intend to go far away from anyone else and build stuff alone for a while. Would be easier if i'd get to some more or less random place.

Actually, don't do it. That would end up people clamoring for their own arks probably...
Where are the arks by the way? Can we fill up our room already?
EDIT figured out where they're.

Woorloog

Banned
Is MC down?

EDIT also reposting my post from previous page
Ark said:
Can i have my own ark (and i mean single person ark, not third public one)? I intend to go far away from anyone else and build stuff alone for a while. Would be easier if i'd get to some more or less random place.

Actually, don't do it. That would end up people clamoring for their own arks probably...
Where are the arks by the way? Can we fill up our room already?
EDIT figured out where they're.

EDIT some questions from previous page, hoping someone can answer at least some of these
1. Has anyone here read Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and seen Mistborn inspired texture pack for Minecraft? Or something similar anyway. Preferrably standard rez.
2. Any science fiction based texture packs? Again standard rez. I dislike HD packs, installing them is annoying, will wait till proper support.
3. Is there a site (that is not MCforum nor wiki) that has list of MC texture packs?

bengraven

Not gonna lie: I'll probably put stuff in both arks just to save space for other people. lol

Plus, after we're done we can build Rivet City in the second ark! :eek:

Rabbit Lord said:
Not yet, let me finish up first. Figure out how many chests will be in the ship and way to divide them up.

It's cool, I'm not trying to rush anyone. Just getting nervous because I'm flying out on Wednesday for a wedding and will be gone for a week with no Minecraft. The timing makes me worried I'll miss the mark and my stuff will be gone.

If anything, I'll do what someone above said and drop my chests in front of the ark and add one of you guys to it and see if you can bring my stuff in for me.

Ark said:
Holy shit Mengy, that thing is awesome! :D

Or Ark could build an Ark creating a colony of Ark's spurring off from the Arky Ark of Ark's.

Thats what I was talking to Mengy about, bringing both over and have 2 'start' areas would be amazing I think. Would also help with spreading out the server pop. And with both 'Ark's', there wont be a space issue. One rule we should use in the new map is making a decent sized area around the spawn and other ark free of builds so as to avoid a mess.

Roche

I think we should bring Mengy's ship over and have it in the air, if we're going to be using increased build height I think it'd be pretty cool.

Ranger X

Let's not fraction the community. I hope we start a new world all together, it's way more cool. The more neighbours the better!!

Ark, just bring both ship in the new world. It's absolutely certain now that we have enough place for everybody's stuff.

Ark

Drkirby said:
Are you already trying to make themed areas again ark.

Of course! :)

I've already got plans for two large scale protects when I get the time/motivation.

Ranger X said:
Ark, just bring both ship in the new world. It's absolutely certain now that we have enough place for everybody's stuff.

Both ships are coming over.

Woorloog

Banned
Ranger X said:
Let's not fraction the community. I hope we start a new world all together, it's way more cool. The more neighbours the better!!
I'm going to travel one or two kiloblocks* at least. I want to be alone for a while. I don't like building next to others as i don't want to see anything like the current spawn. Hate mistmatched places. Al-medina and others do look good though and if people build themed places, that's fine.

*A block is one cubic meter. Therefore kiloblock is one kilometer. But kiloblock as a term fits MC better and therefore distances should be measured in blocks and kiloblocks.

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
Both ships are coming over.
My question is how is it being done? WorldEdit? MCEdit? Copy and paste. Will you only copy the boats and not the world under them. Will be neat to start our new world, find our boats and get started right away. Let me know when I can start moving my stuff in.

I never got the whole 1 block = 1 meter thing since it means that every tree, every wall, every floor is 3 feet thick. The player is 5 feet tall. And every step is 1 and a half feet.

But hey, it's a game.

Woorloog

Banned
Jasoco said:
I never got the whole 1 block = 1 meter thing since it means that every tree, every wall, every floor is 3 feet thick. The player is 5 feet tall. And every step is 1 and a half feet.

But hey, it's a game.
Which is why it doesn't have to make any sense. How much does a world where everything is blocky make sense anyway?
IIRC one block is one meter and IIRC this comes from Notch. Correct me if i'm wrong...
EDIT: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/422515389/clearing-up-the-world-size-math
EDIT the blog post is old so don't think it's some news.

commissar

Jasoco said:
The world is literally 420 feet high from bedrock to atmosphere. 210 feet from sea level.
Fantasy game, fantasy measurements.
metric for life

Will the boats sit near each other in the new world? Could be moored at a dock :]

Woorloog

Banned
Jasoco said:
The world is literally 420 feet high from bedrock to atmosphere. 210 feet from sea level.
128 meters, 64 meters.
NO WAIT!
128 blocks, 64 blocks. That way we keep the fantasy feel suitable for MC.

Need to figure out space now for people and what ark people are gonna use. Just split the server pop in half I guess.

Currently my ark has 114 double chests with room for a few more. Mengy, have figured out how much space you have? seems like you might have a little more room than me.

Discuss, chest usage, time frame etc...

Rabbit Lord said:
Need to figure out space now for people and what ark people are gonna use. Just split the server pop in half I guess.

Currently my ark has 114 double chests with room for a few more. Mengy, have figured out how much space you have? seems like you might have a little more room than me.

Discuss, chest usage, time frame etc...

I'll work on adding more chests to the bottom, either tonight or tomorrow night.

Ranger X

Yeah, there's space in the rest of the bottom room and also that front room. Prolly some 30 ish more chests. I got some if you want. Or I could actually bring and use mines.

Top Bottom