• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Rabbit Lord said:
Maybe some of us don't want to wander around the world and just want to see what people are building. There really needs to be away to get around the map in somewhat of a quick fashion. That portal room that was being talked about a few weeks back is a good idea. I like being vanilla-ish but we need the chest Locks, /home and I think flying.

Anyways...

PdXii.jpg

THat is awesome. So awesome that we need to make a new OP when 1.8 hits and make that the OP. lol

Good work, guys. The next world is going to be insane!

Venfayth

Drkirby said:

Wow there are so many dislikes for that video, why?

It's just someone trying to remake minecraft, no idea why someone would do that, but it seems like it might be a fun exercise of programming to try. Is that really detestable enough to incur the hatred of youtube? It seems to me it's more likely the symptom of a cult following of someone who posted about how 'stupid' it is someone would try to clone minecraft.

mcrae

Acullis said:

It's just someone trying to remake minecraft, no idea why someone would do that, but it seems like it might be a fun exercise of programming to try. Is that really detestable enough to incur the hatred of youtube? It seems to me it's more likely the symptom of a cult following of someone who posted about how 'stupid' it is someone would try to clone minecraft.

if they're doing it to sell for profit, then its detestable

Venfayth

mcrae said:
if they're doing it to sell for profit, then its detestable

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I guess for some reason that thought didn't cross my mind, why would you directly clone something for profit? That's so stupid on so many levels.

I'm just kind of baffled.

Qwomo

Acullis said:

Minecraft clones are a dime a dozen and invariably awful.

Insaniac

So my friend wants to do something similar to what you guys are doing on Neocraft with the ark, but i was wondering how you plan on pulling this off? Basically resetting all the chunks except the one with the ark? if so how do you do that?

Acullis said:

Because it's China, and this is the internet.

-Western dude does/makes something lame. Internet's response: "Wow, this sure is lame!"

-Chinese dude does/makes something lame. Internet response: "CHINESE PEOPLE ARE THIEVING RATS AND HAVE NO BRAINS"

Oh well.

bathala said:

HOLY CRAP YES GET HYPE.

I actually dreamed last night that I woke up this morning and 1.8 was out.

Qwomo

Trailer wasn't as good as the other one those guys did (pistons update, was it?), but hooray new things!

Toppot

Qwomo said:
Trailer wasn't as good as the other one those guys did (pistons update, was it?), but hooray new things!

I agree this was more actual trailer than the interesting one they did for 1.7, still though I'm excited, means 1.8 is soon =]

Zomba13

HappyBivouac said:
Because it's China, and this is the internet.

-Western dude does/makes something lame. Internet's response: "Wow, this sure is lame!"

-Chinese dude does/makes something lame. Internet response: "CHINESE PEOPLE ARE THIEVING RATS AND HAVE NO BRAINS"

Oh well.
Well when a western dude copied minecraft to sell on XBLIG he got a shit ton of hate.

When people copy something exactly or use assets from other things and then plan to sell them they get hate, like FortressCraft on XBLIG, that chinese minecraft clone or the chines TF2 like clone thing that uses assets from TF2 and maps assets(?) from Battlefield Heroes.

Anyway, looking forward to 1.8 and looking forward to being scared shitless by the endermen.

How do I migrate my stuff on the Neocraft server? Think I'll start playing again on the new map but want to keep my items.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Zomba13 said:
Anyway, looking forward to 1.8 and looking forward to being scared shitless by the endermen.

How do I migrate my stuff on the Neocraft server? Think I'll start playing again on the new map but want to keep my items.

That's why we built an Ark Zomba, we are filling it with chests full of our supplies and taking them all to the New World for 1.8. Only 4-6 chests per person max though, we need to have space for everyone. So try not to bring the easy to get stuff like cobble and gravel and dirt.

Just warp to Arkyoto, walk forward and take the dock out over the water to the left towards the huge wooden sailing ship built by Ninefinger (Rabbitlord). Board the ship and lock a few chests in your name and then load them up with your stuff.

Just remember everyone, with 1.8 hitting very likely THIS WEEK you need to load your stuff into the Ark soon, like this week soon, if you want to take it into the New World.

Ark

I added a warp to both Ark's:

/warp ManifestDestiny
/warp MengyArk

It seems like everyone is loading into the Manifest Destiny and Mengy's Ark remains untouched, so I guess if no one uses Mengy's Ark we'll just bring over ninefinger's Ark.

I haven't read the thread very carefully (I mainly look for pics and mods). You guys built a huge ship called the ark, and everything that is there will transfer to the new world?

Mengy

Ark said:
I added a warp to both Ark's:

/warp ManifestDestiny
/warp MengyArk

It seems like everyone is loading into the Manifest Destiny and Mengy's Ark remains untouched, so I guess if no one uses Mengy's Ark we'll just bring over ninefinger's Ark.

Yep, that's what I've been telling everyone who has asked me when they can load into my Ark. I think Nine's Ark has more than enough room, and people have already started loading into it, so there really is no point in bringing them both over.

I had fun building mine though, it's my first ship in Minecraft, I actually have the urge to build more ships now, lol. Plus I don't want to bring my clean stone, coal, or cobble into the Ark, so it was a good way to use it all up.

Jhriad

Acullis said:
why would you directly clone something for profit?

A question that is posed daily to the Chinese. Given how much stuff is copied and then sold on the Chinese domestic market anger or at least annoyance is the proper response.

Mengy said:
Just remember everyone, with 1.8 hitting very likely THIS WEEK you need to load your stuff into the Ark soon, like this week soon, if you want to take it into the New World.

Been out of town so I haven't moved my stuff yet. We will still have to wait for Bukkit & Mods to be updated before we make the move over correct Ark?

EVIL

Jhriad said:
A question that is posed daily to the Chinese. Given how much stuff is copied and then sold on the Chinese domestic market anger or at least annoyance is the proper response.

Been out of town so I haven't moved my stuff yet. We will still have to wait for Bukkit & Mods to be updated before we make the move over correct Ark?
yeah, 1.8 might hit this week but it will probably take a week for thing to settle down and get all the mods working for 1.8. (notch needs to establish a good dialogue between mohjang and the most popular mod so they can streamline their updates.)

DarkKyo

Is it possible for people who have never been to the GAF server to get a spot and build alongside you guys? I'd love to contribute to the new world you guys are creating. I understand if there are like zero spots though what with the huge list of people who voted for the new world.

bengraven

Man, didn't the last patch come out the same day the trailer did?

Ranger X said:
Where is this coming from? Mojang teasing Skyland / dimension??

Nah, I found it on r/doctorwho and r/minecraft.

Toppot

Dechaios said:
Is it possible for people who have never been to the GAF server to get a spot and build alongside you guys? I'd love to contribute to the new world you guys are creating. I understand if there are like zero spots though what with the huge list of people who voted for the new world.

Everyone on Gaf is welcome to come on the server and build =] Just PM Ark with your Minecraft username and you can be made a citizen. In the mean time you can join the server as a visitor and look at all the stuff that has been made, before it goes.

Mengy

On the topic of using a seed for the New World 1.8 Neocraft, I'd have to say the biggest reason why I would like to see us use a seed for the map is because then anyone can start up a single player world with the same seed and explore the exact same world offline too. We try to keep the server file size down by limiting exploring to a minimum (no long single trails off of the main map area) but if we could explore the map offline to find good areas to build then that would save alot of server map trimming and such.

Also, once the current server map is made available for download, I am going to make it my new single player main world. I'm going to do the original tunnel through the nether idea to make a new 1.8 area in it, but then I am going to create an immense nether network linking portals all over 1.7 Neocraft, while I sightsee all over the entire old server and look at all of the player created things that I know I haven't seen yet. I think it will be really awesome to have a single player world filled with tons of player created content. Plus, if I ever need diamonds or wools or building materials all I have to do is raid the Ark and grab items! Without the lockette mod I assume all of the chests will be open to me, lol! Hopefully the file size doesn't cause me any problems, but I'll just pray for the best.

bengraven

Pretty cool:

jeb_ Jens Bergensten
If the the food bar is empty in MC 1.8, it will slowly drop your health to 5 hearts on easy, to 0.5 hearts on normal, and kill you on hard

Still kills you if want to play hardcore, but just makes you very vulnerable and gives you a reason to seek out food, if not to fill up your food bar, but fill your health.

I like this a lot.

Also:

jeb_ Jens Bergensten
@
@GollumInYourFac No, but the arrows' damage is now based on their speed, so shooting from above will deal more damage (because of gravity)

Awesome...so I can climb a nerd tower and fire down, clearing my way. ;)

Looks grim to get a release out on 8th. We need more testing, one day is not enough. And we never release on fridays... I'll keep you posted

Just posted by Jens on Twitter, it better come out this week :'(

[EDIT] Damn I was beaten lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, trailer was great. Wow the world looks so much interesting, can't wait.

celebi23

Alright, got all of my stuff on the Manifest Destiny. I even got rid of the mods & texture packs I was using. Can't wait for 1.8!

Tiktaalik said:
Hrm... That trailer didn't strike me as very interesting. What is 1.8 supposed to bring in?

New world generation that allows for ravines and rivers and adjustable height on worlds. Also adds in randomly generated NPC villages and underground dungeons/mines. Plus, there's a new mob called the 'Enderman' who pick up blocks and if you look directly at them they become hostile and when you look away can teleport closer to you. Then there's the sprint ability which allows you to run for a short time and jump a greater distance, plus the need to consume food to keep hunger at bay and sustain your health and new mechanics for firing bows (hold to fire further, speed affects damage). Oh, and an XP system that doesn't do anything yet.

Honestly, I think they shouldn't have called 1.8 the 'Adventure Update', as a lot of the things that will make the game more adventure-like won't be in this update (actual NPCs, quests and a reason for XP).

Mengy

Tiktaalik said:
Hrm... That trailer didn't strike me as very interesting. What is 1.8 supposed to bring in?

Yeah, lol, I thought the trailer was underwhelming too!

Some of the changes of 1.8 that I am looking most forward to:

- larger biomes with better seperations
- rivers that are navigable and used as boundaries
- more foods and they now stack
- hunger bar that has perks and penalties
- an experience bar (even though skillups might be in 1.9 not 1.8)
- many more sounds and old ones improved
- Endermen!!!!
- many new building block types and some recipes
- random ruins on the surface
- new dungeon types
- NPC villages (although the actual NPC's wont' be in til 1.9)
- ravines!!! both underground and on the surface!!!
- multiplayer server lists
- new combat moves
- sprinting!!! longer jumping!!!
- improved lighting model
- pigs now have snouts, lol

I'm sure I've missed some things too.

Tiktaalik

Bootaaay said:
New world generation that allows for ravines and rivers and adjustable height on worlds. Also adds in randomly generated NPC villages and underground dungeons/mines. Plus, there's a new mob called the 'Enderman' who pick up blocks and if you look directly at them they become hostile and when you look away can teleport closer to you. Then there's the sprint ability which allows you to run for a short time and jump a greater distance, plus the need to consume food to keep hunger at bay and sustain your health and new mechanics for firing bows (hold to fire further, speed affects damage). Oh, and an XP system that doesn't do anything yet.

Honestly, I think they shouldn't have called 1.8 the 'Adventure Update', as a lot of the things that will make the game more adventure-like won't be in this update (actual NPCs, quests and a reason for XP).

There were already underground caverns so it'll be interesting to see how these are different exactly. Is it that they will be more mazelike and have doors and signs of life?

Will these NPC towns be inhabited or abandoned?

edit: Ah ok no NPCs until 1.9

Tiktaalik said:
There were already underground caverns so it'll be interesting to see how these are different exactly. Is it that they will be more mazelike and have doors and signs of life?

From the footage shown it looks like there will be deeper, more open caverns in some places underground, and you'll find signs of life like mine-cart tracks and what look like rusted metal gates.

The world generation stuff is pretty much the most exciting thing about the update for me. I forgot about the new blocks and lighting system though, can't wait to explore all the changes!

Zomba13

Mengy said:
That's why we built an Ark Zomba, we are filling it with chests full of our supplies and taking them all to the New World for 1.8. Only 4-6 chests per person max though, we need to have space for everyone. So try not to bring the easy to get stuff like cobble and gravel and dirt.

Just warp to Arkyoto, walk forward and take the dock out over the water to the left towards the huge wooden sailing ship built by Ninefinger (Rabbitlord). Board the ship and lock a few chests in your name and then load them up with your stuff.

Thanks. Gonna move my stuff now.

Mengy

Zomba13 said:
Thanks. Gonna move my stuff now.

Zomba, there is now a warp point for the ark we are storing our stuff into. Type /warp ManifestDestiny in game to go to the Ark that will be brought to the New World.

bengraven

This is so far the best update to me. Second being the Halloween one and third being the colored wool one.

Speaking of NPCs, I wonder if we'll get random lone NPCs. Be cool if they finally added lamps and you could find a lone NPC with a lamp in dungeons.

Top Bottom