• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

EVIL said:
another boat? I feel sorry for mengy's ship he spent so much work on. why not move mengy's ship to the dock in arkyoto.

The only problem, is that the Ark only needs a smaller extension, and I love my theme consistency ... :lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
EVIL said:
another boat? I feel sorry for mengy's ship he spent so much work on. why not move mengy's ship to the dock in arkyoto.

That's okay, it will be there for me when I make the server map my single player world, LOL. I had fun making it anyway. Maybe I'll go sheep hunting tonight to help Rabbit out.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
1.8 can't come soon enough. I so want to get back into this game. Will most likely join you more actively on Ark's server when it lands. But I have some ideas for my perfect residence in single player and that's to say nothing about creative mode.

Drazgul

So there will be villages, but no villagers? What will happen when 1.9 hits? Will already discovered villages be populated, or do we need to start another world once again?

Toppot

Drazgul said:
So there will be villages, but no villagers? What will happen when 1.9 hits? Will already discovered villages be populated, or do we need to start another world once again?
I should imagine that villages will be automatically populated. Notch's new code allow him to keep track of biomes and spawned villages, dungeons etc much better, and I imagine that the base code for them is already in, its just how they will interact/act etc that needs to be worked out

Ranger X

Toppot said:
I should imagine that villages will be automatically populated. Notch's new code allow him to keep track of biomes and spawned villages, dungeons etc much better, and I imagine that the base code for them is already in, its just how they will interact/act etc that needs to be worked out

I really hope it would but it's a bit unlickely unless he changes how his code works. Do you have a source where's he talking about that or something? Because since forever, with any update, once a chunk is generated, nothing ever updates again in it. And this is probably because of the basis of how the code is thought out. Not the type of stuff that suddendly changes.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Ranger X said:
I really hope it would but it's a bit unlickely unless he changes how his code works. Do you have a source where's he talking about that or something? Because since forever, with any update, once a chunk is generated, nothing ever updates again in it. And this is probably because of the basis of how the code is thought out. Not the type of stuff that suddendly changes.

Well, NPCs would just be another mob, wouldn't they? Just with unique behavior. Those can spawn any time they damn well please.

Mengy

Ranger X said:

Yeah, I doubt that any villages that spawn in 1.8 will populate with NPC's come 1.9. You will either have to start a new map or explore to generate new chunks to get NPC's in the villages.

Seems like 1.8 should be called the Biome update or New Worlds update, and 1.9 should be called the Adventure update.

I'm all loaded up in the Ark now. Added some chests to the ship last night. Tonight I might log on to collect some wool for the second ship, but I'm pretty much just waiting for 1.8 now. To ease my painful wait for 1.8 to hit I actually played some other games last night. Booted up Audiosurf for the first time in ages, it's still a great game. Then loaded Starcraft II for the first time in like months, had to wait quite awhile for it to patch up, lol. Starcraft II is still a blast to play, and I still suck at it. Beat on the AI for a bit just to get the rust out, tonight I'll play some ladder games to get myself re-ranked into Bronze where I firmly belong. Only Notch can now save me from the unending beat down on Battlenet I am about to endure...

Enco

bengraven said:
No rare loot yet, so I would say "no" for you.
Ok thanks.

Pie and Beans said:
Havent touched Minecraft for a long time due to the "having to restart" effect and wanting that restart to be when all the good stuff is in. NPC towns with no NPC's and EXP orbs that don't do anything doesn't seem to be that update for me quite yet.
Yea I'm with you on that. I don't care about restarting. I just want more than a building sim.

I don't get how people find it so fun. There's literally nothing to do save from exploring nothing, building and surviving.

And I agree that calling this the Adventure update is a bit stupid.

Give me ruins with rare loot and booby traps. That will get me back into the game. It's not that hard.

Ark

Mengy said:
Then loaded Starcraft II for the first time in like months, had to wait quite awhile for it to patch up, lol. Starcraft II is still a blast to play, and I still suck at it. Beat on the AI for a bit just to get the rust out, tonight I'll play some ladder games to get myself re-ranked into Bronze where I firmly belong. Only Notch can now save me from the unending beat down on Battlenet I am about to endure...

My god SC2 is such a time consuming game to play. I played so much during Beta and I was pretty decent...but I just don't have the time to constantly practice anymore :(

Toppot

Ranger X said:

http://twitter.com/#!/notch
notch Twitter said:
Notch
UPDATE: It only replaced like 150 lines! I feel foolish now! Carry on, twitter.
3 Sep
notch
Of course, I just distributed those lines of code out into a bunch of classes and methods. But terrain gen is much nicer to work with now.
3 Sep
notch
I just collapsed a huge function into something waaay better. "biome.decorate(level, random, x, z);" replaces some 1000 lines.

If you see his tumbler
http://notch.tumblr.com/

He mentions the changes he has made to animals, so they basically act like the wolves, they can be kept and don't 'despawn'. This shows a much better use of NPC's so spawning NPC people and keeping them where they should be is basically in the code already as classes.

Ranger X

Toppot said:
http://twitter.com/#!/notch

If you see his tumbler
http://notch.tumblr.com/

He mentions the changes he has made to animals, so they basically act like the wolves, they can be kept and don't 'despawn'. This shows a much better use of NPC's so spawning NPC people and keeping them where they should be is basically in the code already as classes.

Well, not that I am here to piss on anyone's party but this doesn't hint in the slighliest that a chunk would suddendly update.

Toki1776

Ranger X said:
Well, not that I am here to piss on anyone's party but this doesn't hint in the slighliest that a chunk would suddendly update.
The point is that it's not necessary to generate new terrain to get new mobs, therefore NPCs may not require newly generated terrain to spawn, either.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hrmmmm

TpWSj.png

They need to hurry up with this new patch. I really want to get back into Minecraft singleplayer survival.

spuit*11

Banned
The way I see it is that towns and strongholds are separate biomes. So it doesn't matter if there are no NPCs in 1.8.
Come 1.9 the NPCs will spawn and stay there because they don't de-spawn.

Ranger X

Toki1776 said:
The point is that it's not necessary to generate new terrain to get new mobs, therefore NPCs may not require newly generated terrain to spawn, either.

It's true that wolves could appear without generating a chunk. Let's hope its true for villagers NPCs but I fear they might need to appear with much other stuff like the mission system, being tied to certain loots or events that need to be generated "into" the world. Or maybe we'll only get simple moving NPCs at first. I dunno, we'll see I guess.

bengraven

Rabbit Lord said:

Despite my scurvy. The scurvy is probably from the hole in the ship...I'm not pointing fingers at anyone like say JuJu I'm just saying....

Enco said:
Ok thanks.

Yea I'm with you on that. I don't care about restarting. I just want more than a building sim.

I don't get how people find it so fun. There's literally nothing to do save from exploring nothing, building and surviving.

And I agree that calling this the Adventure update is a bit stupid.

Give me ruins with rare loot and booby traps. That will get me back into the game. It's not that hard.

God damn bro, that's what I find fun about it. When I first started, I knew there wasn't going to be a Diablo-esque loot system in place. I've been playing for a year now and I haven't stopped. The only game I've put this much time into is WoW.

I had to explain this to a friend of mine the other day.

The big draw, for me, is the fact that the entire world is manipulatable. I can build and destroy the world as much as I want.

Exploring is fun, to find a little cave in the middle of nowhere - yeah, there might not be any treasure inside, but when you're a kid and exploring your neighborhood you're not going to be heartbroken that the little nook in a tree you found doesn't have a diamond ring in it. It's that child-like sense of exploration and building with Legos. It's the same feeling Myamoto had that made him want to make Zelda.

And doing it with you guys has been awesome. I love all the little dorks I'm playing with. It really feels like a community...more so than any game I've ever played.

Yeah, I can raid a dungeon with 20 other guildmates, but I can't build a tower.

The loot will come eventually but for now this already felt like a complete game months ago.

Not trying to change your mind, just stating my reason that I'm still playing this since you don't understand why anyone would be. ha

Ranger X

Minecraft is a sandbox. The only true sandbox game so far. You create your own goals and that's where the fun is, that's what the game is about. If it's not your thing to actually find what do to for yourself, create your goals and find your rewards within your created goals, the game simply isn't your thing. A genre that doesn't fit you.

Mengy

bengraven said:
God damn bro, that's what I find fun about it. When I first started, I knew there wasn't going to be a Diablo-esque loot system in place. I've been playing for a year now and I haven't stopped. The only game I've put this much time into is WoW.

The big draw, for me, is the fact that the entire world is manipulatable. I can build and destroy the world as much as I want.

Exploring is fun, to find a little cave in the middle of nowhere - yeah, there might not be any treasure inside, but when you're a kid and exploring your neighborhood you're not going to be heartbroken that the little nook in a tree you found doesn't have a diamond ring in it. It's that child-like sense of exploration and building with Legos. It's the same feeling Myamoto had that made him want to make Zelda.

And doing it with you guys has been awesome. I love all the little dorks I'm playing with. It really feels like a community...more so than any game I've ever played.

The loot will come eventually but for now this already felt like a complete game months ago.

Not trying to change your mind, just stating my reason that I'm still playing this since you don't understand why anyone would be. ha

I'm 100% with you. Minecraft is BY FAR the best gaming dollar I have ever spent. Hand's down. Over a year later since I bought the game and I still look forward to playing it every chance I get. And the game is still in Beta, lol. I have so many games that I have neglected due to Minecraft. It's as addicting to me as Lego was as a kid, only more so in many ways.

I am frothing at the mouth for 1.8, and to be honest, it's not for the new stuff being added. It's for the new server map with all of the new places to explore and build on and build into and all of the new things that Neocraft players are going to build. This may be the greatest game I've ever played, and I could easily see me playing the shit out of this for years to come.

Enco

bengraven said:

I can understand where you're coming from.

I'll give it another shot when 1.8 releases. The survival wouldn't be so bad if there was a bit more challenge involved.

The Neocraft Public Library is finished :)

29nui9w.png

awyxpc.png

2n0it5f.png

I've just put on a roof and interior-decorated celebi23's fine work, as he's sitting out until 1.8 hits now.

celebi23 - it was great watching you build it from the ground up as I pootled away on my little beach bar, and an honour to lay down the finishing touches. Hope you approve :D

Mengy

Mister_Bubbles said:

I've just put on a roof and interior-decorated celebi23's fine work, as he's sitting out until 1.8 hits now.

celebi23 - it was great watching you build it from the ground up as I pootled away on my little beach bar, and an honour to lay down the finishing touches. Hope you approve :D

Nice! Where on the server is it? I'd like to take a look at the architecture of it.

Ark

Quick update:

Before I wipe the server, I'll make the final backup of the Old Land and then I'll invite everyone on to the server to burn and blow up EVERYTHING.

I'll give TNT rights to everyone, etc etc.

Orlandu84

Ark said:
Quick update:

Before I wipe the server, I'll make the final backup of the Old Land and then I'll invite everyone on to the server to burn and blow up EVERYTHING.

For some reason, that just made my day:p

celebi23

Mister_Bubbles said:

29nui9w.png

awyxpc.png

2n0it5f.png

DUDE! That's AWESOME!! Thanks for finishing it up for me. Oh & that Twilight thing? AWESOME!

Ark said:
Quick update:

Will the map be available for download before we blow up everything?

Mengy

Ark said:
Quick update:

LOL! I see us crashing the server. :) Let's all take lots of screenshots when we blow Neocraft to hell. I know what Badu's first target will be... :D

Toppot

Ark said:
Quick update:

YES!!!! =D I'm gonna film me blowing up my buildings =D

Jhriad

Ark said:
Quick update:

How much warning will we have before everything gets 'locked in' as it were?

Ark

Mengy said:
LOL! I see us crashing the server. :) Let's all take lots of screenshots when we blow Neocraft to hell. I know what Badu's first target will be... :D

I can't wait to see that :lol

Jhriad said:
How much warning will we have before everything gets 'locked in' as it were?

As soon as we know what the actual release date is going to be, I'll post the time & date that I'll make the final backup.

Mengy

mcrae said:
Any way to temporarily increase server cap when 1.8 hits? Just for a month?

Hah, yeah, I have a feeling I'll be playing single player 1.8 quite a bit simply because Neocraft will be at max players constantly. So many people keep saying they will come back online for 1.8 that I've never even seen online. I've got a project I want to start on the new server, I'm just going to have to find a suitable location first. Can't wait to start exploring.

Toppot

mcrae said:
Any way to temporarily increase server cap when 1.8 hits? Just for a month?
Like Ark said it wouldn't be cost effective. It would more than double the cost of the server to go from 20 to 40 players for a month (based on there website costs, Ark may have extra costs for server upgrades like CPU or RAM)

If there was a demand AND more people donated money it could be feasible.

bengraven

qSNGe.png

NOOOOOO I'm going to miss the explosions!

Ark, you're going to do this right before Bukkit updates, right? So that will be about a week after 1.8 is online?

Enco said:
I can understand where you're coming from.

I'll give it another shot when 1.8 releases. The survival wouldn't be so bad if there was a bit more challenge involved.

I think the survival aspects are getting a nice injection with the hunger meter and new combat rules/bonuses. I'm hoping this gets increased as things move forward to release.

Mengy said:
I'm 100% with you. Minecraft is BY FAR the best gaming dollar I have ever spent. Hand's down. Over a year later since I bought the game and I still look forward to playing it every chance I get. And the game is still in Beta, lol. I have so many games that I have neglected due to Minecraft. It's as addicting to me as Lego was as a kid, only more so in many ways.

I am frothing at the mouth for 1.8, and to be honest, it's not for the new stuff being added. It's for the new server map with all of the new places to explore and build on and build into and all of the new things that Neocraft players are going to build. This may be the greatest game I've ever played, and I could easily see me playing the shit out of this for years to come.

And I agree 100% with everything YOU just sad (NeoCraft circle jerk, I know...).

I spent $13 on this game and I've put more time and entertainment into this than the $200 worth of Steam games I bought in the year before and since. This is going to be a game I play a long time...like Ranger X said, this is the first TRUE sandbox game. I can see my kid playing this a lot when he gets old enough to play games.

Also, I've waited until an update like this to restart a single player game as well. I accidently deleted my main single player save with my castles and cave networks when I saved over it with GAFland's map save months ago.

This is the update that will convince me to restart a single player game in a fresh world and reintroduce me to the joy of discovery.

I think 50% of my enjoyment will be running around my world discovering, naming, and linking via gravel sidewalks all of the villages. This is the part I'm most excited about. I just want to find and build houses in all the little villages. Kind of like on NeoCraft.

Ark

Jhriad said:
The server still hosted by Multiplay or are you using a different company nowadays?

Still Multiplay. Since I already upgraded the RAM, upgrading player slots wouldn't be too much, but we'll see how it goes first.

1.8 releasing on the 12th...Which is when college starts again >_>

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
I am gettin a kick out of watching people raid the living shit out of the community chests. All of a sudden you will see someone with two chests on the ark with their names on it. After watching them run to the community area back and forth, then going to their storage unit, they have more chests. Shit guys just put signs on the community ones you like. ROFL

bengraven

BaDJuJu said:
I am gettin a kick out of watching people raid the living shit out of the community chests. All of a sudden you will see someone with two chests on the ark with their names on it. After watching them run to the community area back and forth, then going to their storage unit, they have more chests. Shit guys just put signs on the community ones you like. ROFL

Are you serious? I feel kind of let down by that. I filled like two double chests with stuff yesterday including some of the rarer stuff. I suppose some of the new people wanted to jump into the world with a ton of stuff, too, to feel like a part of it...instead of actually mining like we did.

Ark

celebi23 said:
Ark, will we be able to download the map before we blow it to hell?

For the last time, YES.

:lol

bengraven said:
Are you serious? I feel kind of let down by that. I filled like two double chests with stuff yesterday including some of the rarer stuff. I suppose some of the new people wanted to jump into the world with a ton of stuff, too, to feel like a part of it...instead of actually mining like we did.

Some people are really sad and take everything.

Grinchy

Banned
People who can't mine their own stuff probably make shitty things anyway. We will find them and we will murder their families with cubes of dirt.

celebi23 said:
DUDE! That's AWESOME!! Thanks for finishing it up for me. Oh & that Twilight thing? AWESOME!

Heh, cheers dude! My pleasure.

Just lost all my diamonds, iron and shizzle to lava right when I was backing up to put down a chest to store it. Motherfuck. There's no other game that hits that gut punch so well, and it's because you know it's always your fault :lol.

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
bengraven said:

Yeah, I put a bunch of my extra shit in the chests that I didn't have room for and it all vanished in minutes. I am not going to call anyone out, but it was pretty amusing. It was literally like leaving a Mercedes in Compton. Everything vanished but the seat belts.

bengraven

BaDJuJu said:
Yeah, I put a bunch of my extra shit in the chests that I didn't have room for and it all vanished in minutes. I am not going to call anyone out, but it was pretty amusing. It was literally like leaving a Mercedes in Compton. Everything vanished but the seat belts.

I checked the chests I put stuff in and yeah, I'm down to a frame, a license plate and four hub caps here. haha

And like you I was able to log in and see people making the trips back and forth. I'm secretly hoping the people I was seeing were actually going from their collections to the community chests and donating to make up for the assholes.

BaDJuJu said:
article-0-001CA4CE00000258-840_468x286.jpg

Mengy

BaDJuJu said:

Wow, I put a bunch of stuff back there too, but I assumed it would stay there until we go to the New World at least. Guess not...

bengraven

Mengy said:
Wow, I put a bunch of stuff back there too, but I assumed it would stay there until we go to the New World at least. Guess not...

Maybe some people felt left out that they can't go into the new world with 6 chests full of stuff.

They don't want us to have an unfair advantage for winning the game.

/pissing and moaning - just had to get it off my chest

Top Bottom