• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Woorloog

Banned
Really annoying that the new biomes are not completed with 1.8, some will be added in 1.9 :/
How i'm supposed to find a place for my city if the biome i want is not in 1.8?
Unlikely though, all i need is a mountain biome and a river/lake.

Ark

I fucking hope the new map has actual landmass, and isn't just a giant swamp like NeoCraft is atm.

I'm going to build a mighty kingdom, and I need solid landmass, and a decent river to do so.

By the way.....with ravines.......someone......could......make...Isenguard? ;)

Zomba13

I'm all packed and ready for the move. Used 2 double chests. Did think a bit about tearing some stuff out of my home but decided to leave it as is and just pack what was in my chests and on my guy.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Woorloog said:
Really annoying that the new biomes are not completed with 1.8, some will be added in 1.9 :/
How i'm supposed to find a place for my city if the biome i want is not in 1.8?
Unlikely though, all i need is a mountain biome and a river/lake.

Has Notch actually stated that there will be biome changes in 1.9, and that they all won't make it into 1.8? If so that sucks. That would almost make me want to wait until 1.9 to start the new server...although the wait may be too much for me to bear, LOL.

bengraven

Oh wow, I didn't see that list that Toppot posted earlier, but now I'm looking at it:

Stuff I'm excited about that I haven't known about until now:

- Tables: By placing a wooden pressure plate on top of a fence post, you can now create tables...! Sort of. They have no purpose, and can not have things placed on them, but are a crude furniture made possible by a change from Jeb after requests asked for it.
- new sounds are fascinating and going to make the world feel more immersive.
- Blocking is CONFIRMED
- it also confirmed Glass panes (no clarification on glass BLOCKS), can be broken and picked up again for reuse.
- Confirmed by creative-item-list image from Pax, there are red-brick Stairs, and grey brick (the new brick) stairs as well.
- Animals will be able to breed, creating a new animal, which is vital to slaughter animals and acquire food. (no babies yet though)
- Giant Mushroom's to be made 'more epic in the future!

Ark said:
I fucking hope the new map has actual landmass, and isn't just a giant swamp like NeoCraft is atm.

I'm going to build a mighty kingdom, and I need solid landmass, and a decent river to do so.

By the way.....with ravines.......someone......could......make...Isenguard? ;)

Of course. Unless you're asking someone to do it and I can't commit to that because I'm rubbish with building.

By the way, you can create a seed and others can join in right away. We should play around a few times and investigate the seeds we create so we can find one that's just right.

Grinchy

Banned
The new movement and combat mechanics might be what I look forward to the most. Everything else is awesome too so this patch just can't come soon enough. I only have one final exam left for this school quarter so I'm hoping I will be able to check the update out this weekend (on or offline)

bengraven

BaDJuJu said:
Did someone say stripper poles?

I meant to put one in my WIP whorehouse in Bootybay.

Still haven't finished that. I really should go do it now so someone doesn't go in there and be like "WTF is this?".

Enco

So is there any loot/need to adventure other than to see cool areas?

If not, I can't see my self playing it for long before getting bored again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Havent touched Minecraft for a long time due to the "having to restart" effect and wanting that restart to be when all the good stuff is in. NPC towns with no NPC's and EXP orbs that don't do anything doesn't seem to be that update for me quite yet.

bengraven

Enco said:
So is there any loot/need to adventure other than to see cool areas?

If not, I can't see my self playing it for long before getting bored again.

No rare loot yet, so I would say "no" for you.

Mengy

Pie and Beans said:
Havent touched Minecraft for a long time due to the "having to restart" effect and wanting that restart to be when all the good stuff is in. NPC towns with no NPC's and EXP orbs that don't do anything doesn't seem to be that update for me quite yet.

I've never really understood this "waiting" role that a lot of minecraft players seem to take. I've been playing the same single player world for like a year now, and I haven't needed to restart anything, nor felt the need to. When new blocks were added, or when biomes were tweaked, I just migrated to new lands and had all the new stuff in my game. And essentially I could still keep my same old single player world for the 1.8 update, if I wasn't simply abandoning it for the Neocraft server map file instead. I guess if people find the game boring and are waiting for something fun to be added, but then maybe this game just isn't for them? I mean I find it plenty of fun now, and while I am glad Notch is adding new content, I don't need it to have more fun in the game.

Maybe it's just me...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Mengy said:
I've never really understood this "waiting" role that a lot of minecraft players seem to take. I've been playing the same single player world for like a year now, and I haven't needed to restart anything, nor felt the need to. When new blocks were added, or when biomes were tweaked, I just migrated to new lands and had all the new stuff in my game. And essentially I could still keep my same old single player world for the 1.8 update, if I wasn't simply abandoning it for the Neocraft server map file instead. I guess if people find the game boring and are waiting for something fun to be added, but then maybe this game just isn't for them? I mean I find it plenty of fun now, and while I am glad Notch is adding new content, I don't need it to have more fun in the game.

Maybe it's just me...

It was fun the first time round, so no I'm not one of those "YOU JUST DON'T GET IT" people, just I play a lot of other games. So when I do make a return trip to those blocky hills, I want it to be the whole hit of a full evolution rather than some unfinished stuff bunged in with the wires showing.

bengraven

Mengy said:

Maybe it's just me...

Honestly, a lot of people are just bored of the game and expecting some major facelift in gameplay at some point.

That's fine for them, we're all having a ton of fun.

Also, I have GAFland and soon NeoCraft as two of my single player worlds, but my "main" world was accidently deleted, so I've been waiting for an update like this to restart my world completely. I'm really excited for it and will probably play it a few days before getting back into multiplayer. I think I'm going to have a similar sense of wonder as around the time I started playing with this update.

Ark

I love watching Notch interviews. Notch is right up there with Gabe Newell imo.

Nothing beats the E3 interview between Todd Howard & Notch.

EVIL

Ark said:
I love watching Notch interviews. Notch is right up there with Gabe Newell imo.

Nothing beats the E3 interview between Todd Howard & Notch.
He is a smart chap, but on equal level with Gabe? Not yet!

So a question to those hosting... I have a tiny server I am hosting for myself and 2 friends. Once 1.8 hits will I need to redownload the minecraft.jar? Runing Linux on my server hence the .jar file.

Mengy

MJLord said:
well my stuff is safely aboard the ship, now to play the waiting game...

I'm surprised at how full the Ark is already. Soon people are going to have to put their chests on the main deck or in the sails, lol!

MJLord

Mengy said:
I'm surprised at how full the Ark is already. Soon people are going to have to put their chests on the main deck or in the sails, lol!

haha i only needed one chest so im all good :p

just had a public burning of my house :p

bengraven

Mengy said:

Well some people took a LOT of room. I'm not saying anything and I'm not judging.

We may need the other ark by the time it comes out.

Ark

We'll have to improvise!

Maybe Ninefingers could build a second, smaller Ark next to the current one, then the inevitable port-town in 1.8 will have two ships already :)

Mengy

Ark said:
We'll have to improvise!

I'll collect some wood and put some chests on the top deck, and maybe finish out the second below deck to add more storage space, lol.

Mengy

Okay, I filled that empty section at the front of the lower deck with chests. If they fill up we can start loading up the top deck full of chests. Play it by ear I guess.

wilflare said:
shall try my luck again, does anyone still have a Minecraft key? ^^
With all the people you have helped out I would hope some good will comes your way. If I hadn't just spent my last available 20.00 on minecraft myself I would be sending some your way. I hope you can get a key.

commissar

Mengy said:
Gosh. More people on the server than I thought there was.

I'll pull apart my little cabin later this afternoon :]

edit: Also can we please not lock doors?
It's lame :[

Ark

wilflare said:
shall try my luck again, does anyone still have a Minecraft key? ^^

Or...you know. You could just...buy the game and directly support Mojang? Just saiyan.

@Commissar: NeoCraft does have a lot of people. But as usual, a bunch of people who haven't been on in months have decided to show up because something interesting is happening :lol

wilflare

Ark said:
Or...you know. You could just...buy the game and directly support Mojang? Just saiyan.

@Commissar: NeoCraft does have a lot of people. But as usual, a bunch of people who haven't been on in months have decided to show up because something interesting is happening :lol

i might just do that ^^

EDIT:
@XenoFlux, thanks for the thought, it's appreciated :D

bengraven

We should just fill up Mengy's ship.

Or just build a ship made of chests.

----

Anyway, good read today at Notch's Tumblr. He talks about the process of creating 1.8 and it's really awesome and fascinating. Just reminds me that he's a guy like us, doing something we would love to do and just having fun with it. Makes me feel like I need to sit down and do "my thing".

You know what’s fun?
Game development is fun. There’s programming, design, testing and just plain good old silliness. Here’s a brief snapshot - a retelling of what I did this weekend!

I was putting in a few extra hours on Minecraft this weekend, refactoring code so biomes could directly decorate the terrain themselves rather than having the terrain check the biomes manually. That type of work is mostly just busy work, so it wasn’t very interesting from a design perspective, but it was very rewarding form a programming perspective. Things were starting to fall into place, and biomes became much “cleaner”.

One of the results of that was the first draft of a swamp biome, which I posted a screenshot of. I got crazy amounts of great feedback on how to make it look swampier (it kinda looks like a happy grove at the moment), and almost all of them are entirely doable by only changing the SwampBiome.java class. Feels good!

While testing the biome code, I started running out of food in the game and started hunting animals. Cows would just stand there, looking at me as I mashed them over and over to get their precious loot, so I figured I’d just make that mechanic a bit more fun. Four lines of code later, and animals now flee randomly after taking damage. Hunting animals suddenly became a lot more fun and morally questionable as pigs would storm off grunting and chicken (or whatever the heck they are) would jump into ravines. But the real fun came later on.

Someone tweeted me about a joking campaign to add 3d modeled snouts to the pigs in Minecraft, so I did. While doing so, I groaned at how the Cube class has an “addBox” method that actually means “replaceBox”, and how it really should be a “Shape” class with an “addBox” method that actually does what it says. Right now every box in a model has to be individually animated to match the part it’s attached to, and there’s no grouping or hierarcy. This is the reason why the horns on the cows are in the wrong location sometimes. I didn’t fix the code for this, as I was running out of weekend, but I made a mental note to fix it asap.

Reddit loved my pic of a pig with a 3d snout. I got sooo much precious link karma.

Back to doing some further testing. I was exploring a forest biome, hit upon a river cutting through it, and walked over a small hill. On the other side, a wolf was chasing a sheep, but the sheep was running away. I didn’t have this in mind when I wrote the code to make mobs flee, but it ended up giving me an unexpected experience of having some kind of echo system of competing behaviors in various animals, and it just felt.. nice. It made me realize we should explore more mob to mob interactions, and have more chaotic competing behavior.

I’m doing a high priority secret project this week (a prototype for a future possible project), but I already have at least three things I want to work on as soon as I get back on Minecraft work next week.

The reason it’s still fun is you. The community. Thank you. <3

How can you NOT love this guy?

Ranger X

bengraven said:
How can you NOT love this guy?

Basically what I was thinking. I like how Minecraft is made in a way that it's actually a guy who doesn't give a fuck. In the mean that he simply does what he wants, what he feels he should do. And the result (since he's talented and awesome) is an extremely awesome and charming game that takes a shit on so many gaming conventions -- for the better.

Jasoco

Banned
Mengy said:

Maybe it's just me...
It's weird to think that not even a year ago, we didn't have Biomes or the Nether. We didn't have a lot of stuff. No pumpkins. No beds. No sandstone. No pistons. No Lapis Lazuli. (I hope they put more in now that they've had a chance to redo Biomes completely.) The game was a lot different.

Also, Notch has said pre-1.8 worlds will NOT generate new chunks anymore. So you're gonna have to start over no matter what.

Also, holy shit at the animals running away when you hurt them. That's a nice touch. Also, can't wait to see how much swampier swamps look and what the secret project is when it comes out later.

bengraven

Jasoco said:
It's weird to think that not even a year ago, we didn't have Biomes or the Nether. We didn't have a lot of stuff. No pumpkins. No beds. No sandstone. No pistons. No Lapis Lazuli. (I hope they put more in now that they've had a chance to redo Biomes completely.) The game was a lot different.

Also, Notch has said pre-1.8 worlds will NOT generate new chunks anymore. So you're gonna have to start over no matter what.

Also, holy shit at the animals running away when you hurt them. That's a nice touch. Also, can't wait to see how much swampier swamps look and what the secret project is when it comes out later.

That's not what I heard at all. He said you'd need to go to new chunks to experience 1.8 features.

But yeah, he's starting his first steps into animal behaviors and that's awesome to me. I'm sick of the dumb bouncing cows.

Ranger X said:
Basically what I was thinking. I like how Minecraft is made in a way that it's actually a guy who doesn't give a fuck. In the mean that he simply does what he wants, what he feels he should do. And the result (since he's talented and awesome) is an extremely awesome and charming game that takes a shit on so many gaming conventions -- for the better.

He's really really humble and nice and kind of bashful and makes it hard not to like him. He doesn't have the ego that some in his position as "indie" would have. And to top it off, he's in my opinion one of if not THE most creative person in gaming right now. I played a few of his freeware games and the man is pulling creativity out of some mystical nether.

I really really want to buy him a beer or something.

Ashodin

Just a heads-up - a patch 1.8 music video by yours truly is coming out soon after I finish shooting and editing it together.

I'm hoping to catch all the fever pitch for the patch and make something awesome people can enjoy! :)

Ark said:
We'll have to improvise!

Maybe Ninefingers could build a second, smaller Ark next to the current one, then the inevitable port-town in 1.8 will have two ships already :)

And so I started another boat...and now I need wool! again.

Ark said:
Hey Ninefingers, what texturepack do you use btw?

In most of my screenshots its some version of Dokucraft.

bengraven said:
I have to admit: it's kind of cool from a communal standpoint...us all cramped into the same ark.

yar.

EVIL

another boat? I feel sorry for mengy's ship he spent so much work on. why not move mengy's ship to the dock in arkyoto.

Top Bottom