• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
bengraven said:
Maybe some people felt left out that they can't go into the new world with 6 chests full of stuff.

They don't want us to have an unfair advantage for winning the game.

/pissing and moaning - just had to get it off my chest

Hah, I even left many chests full of cobble and dirt and stuff back in my base. Maybe I should bring it to the back of the Ark awhile so people can take it too! :)

Grinchy

Banned
Mengy said:
Hah, I even left many chests full of cobble and dirt and stuff back in my base. Maybe I should bring it to the back of the Ark awhile so people can take it too! :)
Yeah my houses still have chests full of shit like that. Maybe I should rip the signs off and see how long it takes before they are found lol

I had no idea people were so interested in free cobble and dirt.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
Yeah my houses still have chests full of shit like that. Maybe I should rip the signs off and see how long it takes before they are found lol

I had no idea people were so interested in free cobble and dirt.

Well, cobble is a basic material that can be boring to get, especially if you need rock in large quantities. I personally kept some stack of cobble in order to start out in the next world, as silly as this sound.

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
Well, cobble is a basic material that can be boring to get, especially if you need rock in large quantities. I personally kept some stack of cobble in order to start out in the next world, as silly as this sound.
Same here, actually. I filled up a chest on the Ark and I think I put like 4 stacks of cobble in it. I'm just surprised that people go to such lengths to secretly grab it for free.

Mengy

Ranger X said:
Well, cobble is a basic material that can be boring to get, ...

I always amass huge amounts of cobble, dirt, and gravel in my mining expeditions for diamonds and iron and gold and redstone and lapis and coal. I literally have like over 5 double chests full of cobble from my diggings. And thats after I used all of that stone for my ship last week. I don't know, I suppose I just like digging underground, lol!

onken

Yeah sorry this is why I rarely donate to community chests. Some no-name lurker will just be in there and poof. If somebody actually needs something and announces it in chat then I'm always happy to help when possible :D

Oh by the way I have a spare double chest in my cabin (middle deck, near the south end) that anyone can claim.

Also I made a map (on foot!!!!!) with the Manifest Destiny in the centre, so we have a record! Notch once said he was planning for maps to placeable on walls, let's hope that happens soon.

34rj98y.png

celebi23

Anyone else having either an item duplication bug or display bug? Numerous things in the community chests on Manifest Destiny are showing 64 when there should be 1 (like cooked porkchops). I'm seeing the same problem in my own chests on the ship

bathala said:
does GAF server have locks on personal chest?
Yep, there are locks for personal chests

onken said:
Yeah sorry this is why I rarely donate to community chests. Some no-name lurker will just be in there and poof. If somebody actually needs something and announces it in chat then I'm always happy to help when possible :D

Oh by the way I have a spare double chest in my cabin (middle deck, near the south end) that anyone can claim.

Also I made a map (on foot!!!!!) with the Manifest Destiny in the centre, so we have a record! Notch once said he was planning for maps to placeable on walls, let's hope that happens soon.

34rj98y.png

Hear hear!

I was working heavily in a community mine on one of the GAF servers some months back. After a bazillion trips from the bottom of the mine to the top to get more supplies, I decided to spend a few hours grinding out iron tools and making signs (community mine was ridiculously complex and I was making signs to avoid getting lost). I filled like 2 double chests with tools, a double chest with stacks of torches and coal, and another double chest of signs.

I logged off for like 2 hours, came back, and everything was gone.

Last time I do anything like that other than dumping extra cobble/dirt. People are such pricks.

Ranger X

Mengy said:
I always amass huge amounts of cobble, dirt, and gravel in my mining expeditions for diamonds and iron and gold and redstone and lapis and coal. I literally have like over 5 double chests full of cobble from my diggings. And thats after I used all of that stone for my ship last week. I don't know, I suppose I just like digging underground, lol!

ok I see. When you're a miner type I guess you indeed get alot of cobble and such. Me I am more the spelunking type. I get my minerals exploring caves. (and I make a shitfuckton of arrows :p)

mcrae

Toppot said:
Like Ark said it wouldn't be cost effective. It would more than double the cost of the server to go from 20 to 40 players for a month (based on there website costs, Ark may have extra costs for server upgrades like CPU or RAM)

If there was a demand AND more people donated money it could be feasible.

well the server is run off donations anyways right? do donators get reserved slots?

i guarantee there will be a massive demand. whether the money is there or will be there or not, only ark knows.

onken

On a slightly lighter note I was down in the community chests (putting some cobble etc.) and they're actually full of all kinds of stuff, so not all doom and gloom! Also the community chests near the spawn still have quite a bit of stuff in, what will we do with that?

mcrae said:
well the server is run off donations anyways right? do donators get reserved slots?

i guarantee there will be a massive demand. whether the money is there or will be there or not, only ark knows.

Yeah the problem is when so-called "massive demand" rapidly dwindles after a couple of weeks and then what are we left with?

mcrae

onken said:
On a slightly lighter note I was down in the community chests (putting some cobble etc.) and they're actually full of all kinds of stuff, so not all doom and gloom! Also the community chests near the spawn still have quite a bit of stuff in, what will we do with that?

Yeah the problem is when so-called "massive demand" rapidly dwindles after a couple of weeks and then what are we left with?

apparantly a 20$ one-time payment to up it for just a month. time period is my suggestion, $ amount i got from a post near the top of the page

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope I can be the one to burn down the ark, that entire wood ship will burn so good.

I didn't have to much, so I just shoved everything I could find around my digging area nto one double chest. So stacks of coal, some iron and the diamonds are the bulk of what I care about, but I have junk like bones and trees in there too, since it all fit. Also dumped my armor and the stuff I was holding.

Blizzard

Banned
DurielBlack said:
Hear hear!

I was working heavily in a community mine on one of the GAF servers some months back. After a bazillion trips from the bottom of the mine to the top to get more supplies, I decided to spend a few hours grinding out iron tools and making signs (community mine was ridiculously complex and I was making signs to avoid getting lost). I filled like 2 double chests with tools, a double chest with stacks of torches and coal, and another double chest of signs.

I logged off for like 2 hours, came back, and everything was gone.

Last time I do anything like that other than dumping extra cobble/dirt. People are such pricks.
Isn't the server whitelist-only? Is there no way at all to figure out who did it, there are so many names? Surely some people are known to be more trustworthy, and others are people from GAF who are just on the server to troll/grief?

mcrae

mcrae said:
apparantly a 20$ one-time payment to up it for just a month. time period is my suggestion, $ amount i got from a post near the top of the page

actually it appears like its just 1.12 per slot per month. so, imo, count how many people reserved some space on the ark, reduce it by 20% or so, and get that many more slots for the first month, then re-evaluate. (max out at 35, since after that you need a RAM upgrade as well)

The Excelsior while not 100% complete is ready to be loaded. The lower deck even has some chests in it already thanks to AngryChinchilla. Also thanks for the wool.

AngryChinchilla said:
Thanks to all who donated to the community chest, contrary to belief, there is quite a bit of stuff in there.
I took out a fair bit of bonemeal and wood so after the guilt tripping on here I put in a ton of Mossy Cobble, Sandstone etc, trying to fill chests :p

I AM ABSOLVED I TELL THEE.

Mengy

Demon Lizardman said:
Wasn't today going to be the date for the new patch or what?

It was. It sounds like the 12th is now the earliest it might hit. Which is Monday. Lets hope...

BaDJuJu

Neo Member
onken said:
On a slightly lighter note I was down in the community chests (putting some cobble etc.) and they're actually full of all kinds of stuff, so not all doom and gloom!

Thats because after the raid that took place on them there was a few of us that re-stocked them. Also I think the peeps saw us on here saying something. I have no problem with peeps taking a few things they will need, but earlier yesterday it was like 2 fat kids at an all you can eat doughnut buffet.

Toppot

Dmented said:
jeb_ Jens Bergensten
@
@davecricket @notch You need to generate new areas. As it looks now, beta 1.9 will also require new generation
So, do we use the same Ark or make a new one for 1.9?
I say GOD DAMN! if a month later or something we are gonna have another reset then I'm not gonna bother doing much on 1.8, I'll just leave my stuff in the ark and mooch around a bit =/

celebi23

Dmented said:
jeb_ Jens Bergensten
@
@davecricket @notch You need to generate new areas. As it looks now, beta 1.9 will also require new generation
Seriously? We're going to have to reset the map for 1.9? If that's true, I might just mess around single player during 1.8.

Mikor

celebi23 said:
Seriously? We're going to have to reset the map for 1.9? If that's true, I might just mess around single player during 1.8.

I still fail to understand why veteran Minecraft players continue to act surprised when new map generation is required upon updates to the worldgen code. People treat Minecraft as if its a finished, released product, and these patches are akin to WoW-style content patches. Yes, its true that Mojang adds new content to the game as much as they can with each patch, but ultimately the game is still in a state of active development, and you've preordered into an early beta test.

Mengy

Dmented said:

This is why I raised the question earlier: do we want to wipe the server for 1.8 or wait for 1.9? Or maybe wipe it for both? Make the 1.8 server just an explore and have fun server, then when 1.9 hits we transfer the Arks again to another New World? It's a valid question at this point.

szhred

Hi!

Iam in the Dynamicsquid-server and i want to find a CART to try Adventure Track vand more.

Were can i find one? Or do in need to bulid one.

Mikor

szhred said:
Hi!

Iam in the Dynamicsquid-server and i want to find a CART to try Adventure Track vand more.

Were can i find one? Or do in need to bulid one.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. You need to build a Minecart? Check the Minecraft Wiki on your web browser or the Minecraft Pocket Companion on your Android phone if you need help with recipes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mengy said:
This is why I raised the question earlier: do we want to wipe the server for 1.8 or wait for 1.9? Or maybe wipe it for both? Make the 1.8 server just an explore and have fun server, then when 1.9 hits we transfer the Arks again to another New World? It's a valid question at this point.
New lands keep the games fresh IMO, though it also deters people who like to make giants projects.

Man, I had a crazy dream last night, and it was very... Minecraft-y.

I was exploring a cave and happened upon a rather large dungeon, but it was in a semi-circle-ish room, with half of it looking like it caved it. Toward the caved in side, I saw the loot half buried. I proceeded to uncover all sorts of new blocks and and was all excited... Then I turned around and a huge Zelda-like Poe with glowing red eyes was staring me down, hovering menacingly. His eyes got bright a launched a 3 row attack of flames on the floor, all the way across the room. Somehow, I knew the only way to kill it was with a bow and arrow, so I promptly shot it in the face... Then I woke up.

I drew a quick little rendition of it, lol.

6qywx.jpg

Mengy

Drkirby said:
New lands keep the games fresh IMO, though it also deters people who like to make giants projects.

Yeah, I really want us to reset the server to get all of the new stuff, but then I want us to keep this new server for a VERY long time. It's painful enough losing all we have created on Neocraft right now (there are some awesome things on Neocraft), but the patch changes are worth it IMHO. But once we settle, I'd like us to stay settled for the foreseeable future.

This is how I am leaning: I think we should make 1.8 Neocraft with the understanding that it will be a temporary world, then we all can just explore and play around and make crazy wild things but nothing seriously. But we keep the Arks and move them to another new world for 1.9 Neocraft. And then 1.9 Neocraft is the world we keep for a long, long time. That's my gut feeling right now.

Toppot

Mikor said:
I still fail to understand why veteran Minecraft players continue to act surprised when new map generation is required upon updates to the worldgen code. People treat Minecraft as if its a finished, released product, and these patches are akin to WoW-style content patches. Yes, its true that Mojang adds new content to the game as much as they can with each patch, but ultimately the game is still in a state of active development, and you've preordered into an early beta test.
I don't think we are surprised so much as annoyed, it's been ages since we have had a patch that requires no generation, and now it looks like 2 in quick succession will require it. It makes more sense for them to put all land generation updates in one patch then do stuff like the npc's in another. With such a large multiplayer base having these changes quickly is a big disruption.

And I don't buy into the whole 'beta' rubbish that gets thrown around, they have had a simple, but working game for a while now, yes they are doing big improvements but it's still a game we have paid for and invested in. Even when the magical 'release' happens there will still likely be updates requiring new map generation.

Well, the only reason we're making a new world is because of the new land generation (right?) in 1.8. I hardly think they'll change it enough by 1.9 that'll warrant another new map.

Atomski

ArtistDude88 said:
Well, the only reason we're making a new world is because of the new land generation (right?) in 1.8. I hardly think they'll change it enough by 1.9 that'll warrant another new map.
I'm guessing it has to do with the NPC villages. 1.9 they are adding the NPCs and they will probably not spawn in previously generated villages.

Mengy

ArtistDude88 said:

Jeb has already said there will be new biomes for 1.9 too. Maybe it's not enough for us to worry about, we can always just explore more chunks to get the new stuff.

Ah screw it, I've changed my mind. Lets start 1.8 Neocraft as soon as possible and just stick with it no matter what happens. We'll adapt and overcome whatever else changes!

New World HHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woorloog

Banned
Looks like i'll be skipping 1.8. I have a big project in mind and i don't bother doing anything temporary. Though i could mine rare stuff...

Mikor

Toppot said:
I don't think we are surprised so much as annoyed, it's been ages since we have had a patch that requires no generation, and now it looks like 2 in quick succession will require it. It makes more sense for them to put all land generation updates in one patch then do stuff like the npc's in another. With such a large multiplayer base having these changes quickly is a big disruption.

And I don't buy into the whole 'beta' rubbish that gets thrown around, they have had a simple, but working game for a while now, yes they are doing big improvements but it's still a game we have paid for and invested in. Even when the magical 'release' happens there will still likely be updates requiring new map generation.

My friend, its not rubbish - what you paid for was a preorder, and you're being given the opportunity to play around with Minecraft in its current development state in exchange. It wasn't until very recently, in fact, that the forced "Minecraft Alpha/Beta ver XXX" was removed from the gameplay UI.

Mengy said:
Ah screw it, I've changed my mind. Lets start 1.8 Neocraft as soon as possible and just stick with it no matter what happens. We'll adapt and overcome whatever else changes!

New World HHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, if we make an effort to not go too crazy with the exploration, then it shouldn't matter too much when 1.9 hits - and if there are unsightly gaps between the 1.8 and 1.9 biomes, we call always do some terraforming.

Top Bottom