• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

hodgy100 said:
If you are still tying to work out how to barricade us all in one area for 1.8 have you thought about just making a physical barrier using bedrock, you could use a world editor to quickly get a barricade in place.

Mengy said:
I don't like this idea. No offense, but the less we use world editors on the server the better IMHO. I just would rather the world be changed and edited by us, the players, in game, than by anything that could mess things up. Isn't that what ruined the biomes on the current server?
Actually, the Borderguard plugin allows you to define the border as an invisible wall or as a physical barrier made of blocks (you tell it which block you want to use). When you disable the border it deletes the blocks it placed. It would look rather unsightly though I imagine with a infinitely high wall of blocks... and since it border's underground as well it might screw up ore deposits or something. With the invisible barrier you get a message on your screen when you approach it and it just stops you dead in your tracks.

Ark said:
Additionally, if I can make another, separate block within that, I'm going use that to create a super secret project I'm really excited about starting. I just need to make sure I can block that area off from everyone but me :p
I don't think you can do that, you place borders by typing in a command (it will place the border around where you're standing and as large as you say it) but I believe it replaces previous borders when you define new ones. At least that's how I understand it.

Venfayth

notch Markus Persson
If you do use it, remember to report bugs, and to feel slightly bad. ;)
1 minute ago

notch Markus Persson
Ooh, looks like 1.8 has leaked, not that I'd ever admit that. ;) Be careful when installing software you don't trust though.

SHARE D:

edit: or is that against gaf tos or something?

Venfayth

mrklaw said:
surely not when the developer lets you know with a sly wink?

Good enough for me, here's another confirm from him

sdkjlfasdfklsjda okay pm me if you want it, until a mod confirms its ok i will keep it shut

Toppot

Acullis said:
SHARE D:

edit: or is that against gaf tos or something?

Umm I think it is probably against gaf tos, but PMing it to people is fine, for example if someone finds the link they could PM it to me ;) ;)

Leak isn't really worth playing to all of you considering it. It's extremely buggy. I'd recommend just waiting for the real release date which is just a few days away.

Venfayth

PhoenixDawn said:
Leak isn't really worth playing to all of you considering it. It's extremely buggy. I'd recommend just waiting for the real release date which is just a few days away.

This is probably true, however, I am incredibly impatient and masochistic when it comes to playing buggy games.

Toppot

Just remember to backup your minecraft folder, otherwise worlds, saves could get corrupted

EDIT: I'm liking 1.8 so far, so weird that i can't fly xD Only bug so far is that sticks don't pick up properly, and i can throw one bugged one away and another will spawn in my inventory.

Toppot

Dmented said:
Wtf is an Ender Pearl? I found 2 of them.
Probably a drop from Endermen when they die or die from water? As to what use it has etc we have no idea, lots of unknown stuff will leak in next 24 hours. Minecraft Wiki will tell you what it known.

The new land generation for the 1.8 maps are insane. I found the biggest cave system I've ever seen when I loaded my first map. The areas inside are so expansive.

Venfayth

Dark Phoenix said:
The new land generation for the 1.8 maps are insane. I found the biggest cave system I've ever seen when I loaded my first map. The areas inside are so expansive.

Are there continents? Does it seem like it, anyway?

Dmented

Banned
I can confirm Endermen spawn underground too, if that's not known yet.

Also:

The new spiders are the rape. They like to stay near their webs, which stick to you. They make it harder for you to move.

Venfayth

Dmented said:
I can confirm Endermen spawn underground too, if that's not known yet.

Also:

The new spiders are the rape. They like to stay near their webs, which stick to you. They make it harder for you to move.

Do they paralyze you and wrap you up in webs?

Mikor

Jhriad said:
Sorry, but you're wrong. When you pay for Minecraft you're paying for the game as it is right now. Purchases during the development of the game are discounted and include the full game upon release.

You're purchasing the client and in doing so funding the development of the game. It's been in the Terms of Use forever now that Mojang cannot guarantee that any project will ever be completed and/or provided support for. There's always the risk of a project being discontinued at any time. As such when you purchase the game you're only buying the client as it stands at time of purchase with the hope, but not guarantee, that you will receive updates and eventually a "Release" version.

Everything above in italics is a direct quote from either the MC or Mojang site.

It's not worthwhile to go link digging into the wayback machine to find quotes to refute what you're saying, but suffice it to say that its been stated a number of times, by Mojang staffers, that your purchase of MC is a preorder and you are being allowed the right to test the game before its release. This is the line that has been given since Alpha days, and you know that as well.

Purchase the game now, and you're buying the opportunity to be a beta tester - and not the "betas" that most AAA titles are running these days, but a real honest-to-goodness shit-is-broken-and-in-development beta. If you fail to understand this, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Manneh might have had the site updated since Beta's release to change the verbage so as to not be so scary to luddites, but the model is the way it is.

Toki1776

Wow, the world has gotten huge since the last map I made. Admittedly that was just over a week ago, but still...
It was at around 550 MB, now it's 749 MB! People must be going crazy with the exploration now that we're moving to a new map, lol.

I'm in the process of updating it now, so the new one will be up in a couple/few hours.

Mikor

Toki1776 said:
Wow, the world has gotten huge since the last map I made. Admittedly that was just over a week ago, but still...
It was at around 550 MB, now it's 749 MB! People must be going crazy with the exploration now that we're moving to a new map, lol.

I'm in the process of updating it now, so the new one will be up in a couple/few hours.

What ever happened to Dynmap?

Dmented

Banned
Acullis said:
Do they paralyze you and wrap you up in webs?
I have no idea, right now I'm looking around in creative mode. No damage.
But they do like to hang out in a web up top then drop down on you.

Their mob spawner "nest" is surrounded by cob webs. Prepare for rape.

Oh, and the abandoned mineshaft's are very large with random chests of stuff in them.

Ark

Toki1776 said:

Can you do me a HUGE favour of trimming down the map as much as possible so that uploading the file for download is a million times easier.

Dmented

Banned
Toppot said:
Probably a drop from Endermen when they die or die from water? As to what use it has etc we have no idea, lots of unknown stuff will leak in next 24 hours. Minecraft Wiki will tell you what it known.

Actually one died in sunlight too. Which is how I got the Pearl. Plus I killed one.

Toki1776

Ark said:
Can you do me a HUGE favour of trimming down the map as much as possible so that uploading the file for download is a million times easier.
Yeah, I should be able to take care of that this weekend.

EDIT: Also, we're up to 502 unique users who have visited Neocraft!

jediyoshi

What's the key to fly in creative mode?

Starting a new world and running into this = awesome

ly2fL.jpg

spirity

EskimoJoe said:
So how buggy is it? All I really need to know is "does it work?" Because I really wanna play.

I haven't seen any to be honest, though I'm sure there are some. Its pretty playable in my opinion, just make a backup first.

jediyoshi said:
What's the key to fly in creative mode?

Starting a new world and running into this = awesome

Double-tap the jump button, then use jump and crouch to go higher or lower and land or double-tap jump again to exit flying mode.

I'm not sure why the "leak" would be forbidden here when it's hosted on Minecraft's own site. It's no good without the EXE anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/FpOXw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AxM1X.jpg

Here are a couple of pics from a plateau I spawned near and climbed, and the clouds still higher. I couldn't get a good pic of the underground chasm I nearly got blown into by three creepers, but it was very large and the surface was only a couple of blocks thick above it.

And according to jeb's twitter, the main bug remaining is a crash bug that doesn't happen on "normal" render distance. I haven't had any other issues yet, although being able to destroy adminium in creative mode is probably a bug.

Razorskin

----- ------
Time to make a comeback, used to play avidly but set aside my gaming for work. Restricted myself to a 6 year old computer that could barely play anything. I can't wait to start 1.8 after all these months.

Top Bottom