• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Max

I am not Max
I've recreated a duplication bug twice now, put an item in the workbench slots and then exit without removing it, it should drop on the ground, pick it up and you'll have the item back, left click the item and you should be left with a second item under it, select it then right click in your inventory to spawn as many as you want

Weird, however this happened

HenryHSH

bathala said:
this is driving me nuts.

How do you start a new world in 1.8 server?

I deleted my world folder nothing. I changed my server.properties. Nothing

Did you download the 1.8 server jar? How are you opening minecraft_server.jar, using a bat file or the jar file itself?

bathala

Banned
HenryHSH said:
Can you paste the first few lines from the log and chat?
nvm its finally generating.
the problem seems to be. everytime I open the server.jar file is because I kept right click it and open with Java. which doesn't generate a new server.properties. (weird)
So i just made Java as default open with and it generated a new server.properties

celebi23

So, I caved :p What I saw so far looks AMAZING. Stackable food is pretty nice. Oh & sunrise & sunset look kickass.

jediyoshi said:

Soo much new stuff! Can't wait until the official launch on Monday.

Ranger X

HappyBivouac said:
Can anyone help me find notch's post in which he talks about how he made the height limit more easily mod-able? I found the screenshot but I swear there was a post in which he talked about it in a bit of detail.

This is all I can find: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/7799649091/sharing-an-interesting-email
I swear there was something else, but maybe not.

There's nothing else. He probably made a variable for world height that works fine. Now how to know about that variable... you don't ask me. :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Allright, so I caved of course and have been playing 1.8 in my year-old main single player world for the past hour or two, and so far I love this update. Here are some screenshots:

I tunneled far away into the nether to get portal up into new land. Here is where my portal popped out:
2011-09-09_221432.png

The land appears to be plains, fairly flat with no trees but lots of room.
2011-09-09_221709.png

The plain seemed huge but eventually I came across a river with a swamp biome on the other side, full of trees with vines on them. Very cool.
2011-09-09_234816.png

Rivers are well done, I love them. Did find a chunk error though:
2011-09-09_233428.png

And it's nowhere near my 1.7 area. Saw a few other subtle chunk errors too at biome borders. I wonder if totally new worlds have these too, or they are just a symptom of pre-1.8 worlds being used.

I did find a few caves and after spelunking in a few of them I stumbled upon my first underground ravine:
2011-09-09_225443.png

Those aren't my torches down there! This ravine is huge, having a hell of a time exploring it while trying not to die.
2011-09-09_231642.png

Lots of mobs down here. Still trying to work my way down.
2011-09-09_231051.png

Ravines are both awesome and very dangerous. Outstanding addition to the game. When I work my way to the bottom of this one I'll post what I find. I have actually managed to get lost and can't find my way back to my portal, so I'm really on the frontier now, lol!

bathala

Banned
my brother died and i got all his xp.

and it seems like I'm not getting hungry that often. couple of minutes now and my hunger is still fullbar

Grinchy

Banned
I'm loving 1.8 so far. The hunger element is so much better than the old system IMO. The improvement to combat mechanics actually makes it fun to hunt food. The health over time aspect is a really good move, too. I like everything they've done so far.

I was digging down and setting up a long ladder so I could get lower quickly, and I fell right into a ravine. It was so cool inside and I survived the fall. Starting from scratch in a new world is so much more fun than it was before.

Jasoco

Banned
Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Good to know.
Mojang leaked it to help kill the huge bugs before release for once. Smart idea. Makes people who really like beta testing have something to do and help keep the people who want to just play from having to put up with major bugs at release. Hopefully they'll have time to fix the stuff people find within the first day of release.

I've found quite a few.

If items are dropped, you can't pick them up. This includes when you leave them in a Workbench and exit out or are attacked and knocked out of it. They pop out and become uncollectable. So long coal that I really needed because the sun just went down. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu--

I hope this is a bug, but I can no longer hold the mouse button to attack continuously which makes it EXTREMELY HARD TO PLAY on my MacBook Pro. Fucking hell. Combat is impossible. How they did this I don't know seeing as Notch himself and Jeb both use MacBook Pro's. Just give us an option to hold or click for attacking.

If you "fly", you can keep going up and up and up and up and up forever. Oops. Forgot the ceiling there. I kept going up past the clouds and kept going extremely high before I realized it was not intentional.

.nimrod

Jasoco said:
[...]Can someone with a new 2011 MacBook Air run this and tell me how well it performs? I would be greatly appreciative. :D

I get about 30 fps on average with the 13" air, with some short but heavy drops every now and then (fast graphics, fullscreen, normal render distance). OptiMine might be able to get some more performance out of it.

Atomski

I spent about an hour exploring an abandoned mine. Freakin things are endless... I managed to see a black figure move by my screen then all sudden a block ploped on the ground. I was so scared but not looking at the endermen is pretty easy. I hope he adds some creepy noises to them cause currently it just sounds like a zombie :/.

Anyways game is pretty buggy but it was cool Notch let us give it a try early.

Edit: Also did dungeons make the patch? i havent seen a picture of one yet..

.nimrod

maniac-kun said:
How do i start the leaked 1.8 version? i get a java class error!

Did you put the minecraft.jar in the right place?

If you're on windows:
Open the startmenu, type in %appdata% and press enter. Open the .minecraft folder, then the bin folder. Backup/rename your old minecraft.jar and put the new one in there, then start the game as usual.

If you're on OSX:
Go to /users/<your username>/Library/minecraft/bin (press cmd+shift+g in Finder if it's hidden and insert the path). Backup/rename your old minecraft.jar and put the new one in there, then start the game as usual.

Grinchy

Banned
Atomski said:
I spent about an hour exploring an abandoned mine. Freakin things are endless... I managed to see a black figure move by my screen then all sudden a block ploped on the ground. I was so scared but not looking at the endermen is pretty easy. I hope he adds some creepy noises to them cause currently it just sounds like a zombie :/.

Anyways game is pretty buggy but it was cool Notch let us give it a try early.

Edit: Also did dungeons make the patch? i havent seen a picture of one yet..
I found a dungeon in the creative world i was messing with for a few minutes.

It had the wood blocks and walkways and stuff.

Drazgul

jediyoshi said:
Incase you're not subscribed to yogscast

Is no one else bothered by their obviously fake "OMG WHAT'S THIS INCREDIBLE NEW THING" act? It's damn stupid and annoying, I don't even want to watch their stuff anymore.

bathala

Banned
i'm impressed by the new lighting effect.
also killed my dual core cpu. I was running a server and my CPU fan was like a jet engine

some bugs:
unfinished village house - getting close to it dmgs me
rains inside village houses

Mikor

Drazgul said:
Is no one else bothered by their obviously fake "OMG WHAT'S THIS INCREDIBLE NEW THING" act? It's damn stupid and annoying, I don't even want to watch their stuff anymore.

Add me to the pile. Yogscast made their fame on their humor, and now their fanbase demands more of it, forcing them into an endless cycle of forced jokes and dumb one-liners. This is usually a position I keep to myself within the MC community, though, as I know I'm in the minority on that.

Grinchy

Banned
bathala said:
i'm impressed by the new lighting effect.
The lighting is looking so nice. I have this little dirt hut with a few torches around it. I was running back to it at night and from the distance the light coming from the few torches just looked so nice and soft. 1.8 has been awesome so far except for the weird crash I just had.

Jasoco

Banned
Grinchy said:
I found a dungeon in the creative world i was messing with for a few minutes.

It had the wood blocks and walkways and stuff.
That's a mine shaft. Not a dungeon. The dungeons have stone blocks. Mine shafts are very common. But I haven't seen a single dungeon or stronghold, which as I understand it only spawns once? It better be one hell of a huge building with a monster in it if it's gonna be that rare.

Mikor

Grinchy said:
The lighting is looking so nice. I have this little dirt hut with a few torches around it. I was running back to it at night and from the distance the light coming from the few torches just looked so nice and soft. 1.8 has been awesome so far except for the weird crash I just had.

I cannot wait for the colored lamps in RedPower to start making use of the colored lighting engine. Dance halls will be built :X

If Eloraam doesn't add that functionality to RedPower soon, I just might have to myself >.<

Grinchy

Banned
Jasoco said:
That's a mine shaft. Not a dungeon. The dungeons have stone blocks. Mine shafts are very common. But I haven't seen a single dungeon or stronghold, which as I understand it only spawns once? It better be one hell of a huge building with a monster in it if it's gonna be that rare.
Is there mossy cobble, zombie spawners, and chests in mine shafts? That's cool if so. It had all that but it had wood block columns too. I basically go into these updates almost blind so I never know what's normal lol.

I'm now crashing every time I put wood in my 2nd furnace to burn into charcoal. The first furnace has wood burning in it too. everywhere.

Jasoco

Banned
There are chests and spawners. But mostly spider ones. (Which for some reason have pigs inside the block instead of a model of a spider. Oops.) But no cobble. That's for old-style dungeons... I wonder if those still exist as they used to?

Edit: Using Minutor to look at my world, yes, old-style dungeons do exist. But I don't see any Ruins yet. God I want to see them. Or at least know they exist in 1.8 for sure. Also, mineshafts spawn in HUGE numbers. A huge percentage of the world chunks has at least a part of a shaft in it. That's a lot of wood and minecart tracks as well as chests full of goodies.

upandaway

Jasoco said:
This is interesting. Self-leaking the beta before the release date to guage the major bugs instead of waiting and rushing updates out the door the same day. Good choice. Gives people a choice of trying it out or sticking with the stable. Nice.

Now to decide whether or not to try it. I assume I can easily revert by deleting the files to make it redownload the 1.7 again.
When you think about it really what's different here isn't this leak, but the update itself. The only reason the leak is happening is because the updates became bigger and more distant. This "leak" situation with bugs and all was sort of the norm before the Halloween update.

It's more like, slowly drifting away from the original Minecraft model and adopting it again.

Jasoco

Banned
Last year we got pumpkins. This year we get watermelon. Mmmm.

Also, minerals generate in much larger quantities around the mineshafts. You'll see a lot of iron, redstone, coal and even diamond and gold right in the walls and floors while exploring. Just remember to leave a trail of breadcrumbs and bring a shitload of torches because they're dark, windy and you will get lost in them.

Ark said:
FENCE GATES!

HOLY SHIT. BEST GAME UPDATE IN HISTORY.
NO! YOU CAN PUT PRESSURE PLATES ON FENCE POSTS AND CREATE TABLES NOW! THAT IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER!

Grinchy

Banned
Is it going to be a regular feature to be able to fast forward and rewind the day/night cycle? It feels like a weird choice if so.

Also I think my crashes are all coming after I exit a chest or furnace but I did have one while in a boat.

sophora

spawned in an island biome with no trees...swam for a good ten minutes, every now and then taking a dip into the ocean to explore trenches. Finally found an island with a couple trees and settled there for now. Night One was pretty crazy with quite a few creepers and skeletons roaming my small island with me on top a pillar of dirt waiting for the sun to rise...

Mik2121

I just got the 1.8 update and damn... :O

The first world where I started, I was on a small island (like, less than 40 square blocks) and I was surrounded by a HUGE ocean. I kept swimming and couldn't find land, so I left the world and created another one.
The new world was AWESOME. I started on some huge prairie perfect for some nice big town. Then I kept moving around (dash is godlike) and found some swamp area. Wow! :O

I then just started to build my own house out of wood and put some vines around and they started to grow and cover part of my house. It looked amazing.

I have only played for about 1 hour so I have yet to see a few things. But the chest animation is great, the new health system works great and the light is so awesome (torches look great).

spuit*11

Banned
Mother of god this is awesome. Terrain and biome generation is so much better you can't even compare it to 1.7.

These (underground) ravines get MASSIVE and the mines are super expansive (spiderwebs and DANGER everywhere) it felt as though I was exploring some awesome dwarven mine or some shit.

Can't we just run this on the server and just do it vanilla until 1.8 gets released and bukkit releases an update?

Top Bottom