• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Woorloog

Banned
I still need to make a proper new skin but for now, i'm going to use "enderman" skin. IE totally black character with white eyes. Try not to waste arrows on me okay?

Ark

ChoklitReign said:
How compatible are older saves?

Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

redhot_ said:
lol Do not put chicken in the furnace, crashes everything.

For some reason I read this as you goofing off, like picking up a live chicken and trying to use it as a fuel source. I tried to cook a chicken and then I went oooooooohhhhhhhhhh. :(

redhot_

BobJustBob said:
For some reason I read this as you goofing off, like picking up a live chicken and trying to use it as a fuel source. I tried to cook a chicken and then I went oooooooohhhhhhhhhh. :(

haha, ya im not like that. But.. I tried to get around the whole crash deal... and it seems like, for me at least on my Mac Book pro it will crash 2 times trying to save chunks, but after that the chicken cooks, mmmmm.

Ark

Timan said:
Anyone figure out how to make the world taller? Still seems to be the same block limit.

Apparently Notch just made it easier for modders to create a mod to do so.

So yeah, gotta wait for the mod community to kick into gear!

Jasoco

Banned
This is interesting. Self-leaking the beta before the release date to guage the major bugs instead of waiting and rushing updates out the door the same day. Good choice. Gives people a choice of trying it out or sticking with the stable. Nice.

Now to decide whether or not to try it. I assume I can easily revert by deleting the files to make it redownload the 1.7 again.

Jasoco said:
This is interesting. Self-leaking the beta before the release date to guage the major bugs instead of waiting and rushing updates out the door the same day. Good choice. Gives people a choice of trying it out or sticking with the stable. Nice.

Now to decide whether or not to try it. I assume I can easily revert by deleting the files to make it redownload the 1.7 again.

This is exactly what I was telling a friend yesterday that I hoped they would do. Very happy about this. Mojang is my favorite developer ever. It's official.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You know, as tempting as this is, I'm just going to wait. I can keep busy with other stuff til Monday, been having fun playing a bit of Starcraft 2 and watching Diablo III beta videos. Have fun you guys, and please post as much info and pics as you can. Looking very forward to this patch!!!

Grinchy

Banned
Fine, you fuckers, I will download the damn "leak". My waiting until the official release lasted for hours! You should have known those pictures were too irresistible.

Mengy said:
You know, as tempting as this is, I'm just going to wait. I can keep busy with other stuff til Monday, been having fun playing a bit of Starcraft 2 and watching Diablo III beta videos. Have fun you guys, and please post as much info and pics as you can. Looking very forward to this patch!!!

With the crazy shit you can build, I am really hoping you change your mind. Monday may never come! What if aliens killed us tomorrow? You will get over the loss of family and friends but you'll never forgive yourself for skipping this.

Jhriad

Mikor said:
It's not worthwhile to go link digging into the wayback machine to find quotes to refute what you're saying

Since I'm directly quoting the official site & Terms of Use some twitter reply is hardly a proper rebuttal anyhow. I understand what you're trying to say but slapping on a 'beta' tag doesn't absolve Mojang, or anyone else, of any responsibility to their paying consumers. That's the point I'm trying to make here. Understanding and leniency, yes. Free pass, no.

A free beta that's for testing purposes would be an entirely different matter than this soft launch, source of funding.

Funny thing is I honestly don't have any problems with how they're doing 1.8 & 1.9. Just expand your map if you want to see new stuff. I'll defend the consumers right to complain and Mojangs' responsibility to listen though.

Ark

Mengy said:

Yeah, I would download this 1.8 'leak', but I am properly busy all day tomorrow and my Sunday will hopefully be super busy too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
List of features available for 1.8 guys? I haven't played MC in so long. What do the NPCs do?

Jasoco

Banned
This is really nice. But a bit more laggy than it was. Shame.

Also, Clay spawns a LOT in Swamp Biomes. I was flying around and found one and they use dirt, sand and clay to make the water look swampy. They should have just invented a new liquid that was green dirty water or something and made "lily pads" that spawn in the swamp water with frogs on them.

Still exploring. No village yet. I also wonder what the "World Type" option will do when it is implemented. But I did find a river and followed it. Really nice. Looking for an ocean. I used the seed "magnatude".

Creative mode is interesting. Blocks seem infinite, but you seem to be able to for some reason pick up multiples, even though they don't run out. So you might have an item with a number but it never goes away. But when you try to use an item like a boat, it is finite and disappears. I wonder if the boat thing is intentional. I wish they would make boats easier to control and not explode when you hit something. Also, for some reason in Creative, when the boat does explode, you get the items back. Which makes no sense since it's not supposed to have items at all.

Hopefully they find a lot of bugs and fix them by release. Can someone with a new 2011 MacBook Air run this and tell me how well it performs? I would be greatly appreciative. :D

HenryHSH

Ether_Snake said:
List of features available for 1.8 guys? I haven't played MC in so long. What do the NPCs do?

NPCs will be added in 1.9

As for feature list, I'll let someone more familiar with the full features post one.

Ark

So.

I'm thinking about making the final backup tomorrow at around 6pm GMT/UTC (7pm BST), I'll let everyone on afterwards to blow/burn shit up.

Fake Edit: Scratch that, I totally forgot about bukkit updates >_<

Max

I am not Max
What's 'Adventure' about this update without NPC's and quests?

I thought that was the big deal about it

WillyFive

Max said:

The big deal was all the improvements it did to the game. The stuff in this update is the groundwork that Adventure Mode will use.

You know, all the extra things your character can do now. The NPC villages. A ton of stuff.

Grinchy

Banned
Found this village right by my spawn after like 2 minutes of playing. From the distance it looks kind of complex for a random little village.

Tgwzh.png

edit: i love the update to the glass. In a weird way this update feels kind of terraria-ish. You are immediately given areas with objects you couldn't have easily created before (like bookshelves) at your disposal. Or I guess that's true when you find a village right by your spawn. You could basically mine a village and use those resources to build a decent place.

I'm also really liking that my spawn area is a vast, relatively flat area but I could walk a little in one direction and come to a vast hilly area. I can just imagine a cool little spawn city on the flat land which connects to some kind of network of homes high up in mountains.

Co-worker called off tonight and I am doing overtime tonight to cover.

Minecraft forums are blocked off and I can't see any of the images you guys are posting in this thread. :-(

Going to be busy all day tomorrow, goodness will have to wait until tomorrow night I guess.

Ranger X

Max said:

The big deal is that the "adventure update" means 1.9 now. It was supposed to be 1.8 but they had problems and did seperate the stuff to update into 2.

redhot_ said:
haha, ya im not like that. But.. I tried to get around the whole crash deal... and it seems like, for me at least on my Mac Book pro it will crash 2 times trying to save chunks, but after that the chicken cooks, mmmmm.

It seems like the "saving chunks" is the game detecting the crash and saving the state of the world. Which is very appreciated. As for the second crash, it happens when the furnace burns out.

Max

I am not Max
Ranger X said:
The big deal is that the "adventure update" means 1.9 now. It was supposed to be 1.8 but they had problems and did seperate the stuff to update into 2.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up then

ooh wow lots of stuff going on, love the idea of building the ark to go into the new world but don't have the time myself. will try and get on for a bit of the blowing up stuff though! never did finish my temple's roof, damn studies.

1.8 looks great such nice landscapes :)

redhot_

BobJustBob said:
It seems like the "saving chunks" is the game detecting the crash and saving the state of the world. Which is very appreciated. As for the second crash, it happens when the furnace burns out.

Ahh ic ic.

bathala

Banned
this is driving me nuts.

How do you start a new world in 1.8 server?

I deleted my world folder nothing. I changed my server.properties. Nothing

Top Bottom