• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Good god, the terrain generation. What I love most about Minecraft is finding somewhere AWESOME that on sight gives you a ton of inspiration to build something there, and with 1.8 there seems to be a ton of that in every chunk.

Juravsky

I love the new Biomes but I found a village with blocked doors and windows, inaccesible doors and earth blocks inside some houses. I guess that still needs a bit of work.

EVIL

I found a small bug, when you place a torch near water, and then remove it, the blocks under water still show that light.

Mik2121

Wow! I found a really neat area, though it's hard to build at.

You need 1.8 to reach it. On the seed, type: NeoGAFBelieve

You will spawn on the top of a tree, looking at the sunrise. Turn 90 degrees to the right, go down the tree and keep walking straight. Then a bit to the right (about 5 degrees?) so you can get inside the valley, and look around. Then get into the water and go to the other side of the mountain.. pretty damn awesome :O

But yeah, hard to build stuff around here I guess.

ksimm

Mik2121 said:
Wow! I found a really neat area, though it's hard to build at.

You need 1.8 to reach it. On the seed, type: NeoGAFBelieve

You will spawn on the top of a tree, looking at the sunrise. Turn 90 degrees to the right, go down the tree and keep walking straight. Then a bit to the right (about 5 degrees?) so you can get inside the valley, and look around. Then get into the water and go to the other side of the mountain.. pretty damn awesome :O

But yeah, hard to build stuff around here I guess.
It's so purdy!

se5euf.png

Mik2121

Man.. this is awesome.

I started a new world again. I was just walking around when I noticed it was almost night and I only had a couple materials so I really wouldn't be able to do much. I prepared a workbench and made a boat, then sailed through the ocean in front of me. After a minute or so I started to see some lights on a side, they were easy to notice because the dark was already dark.

So I went to where the lights were and to my surprise, it happened to be a very small village on the beach, with some 8 houses or so, all in one street. A lot of them had some nice and clever decoration that I'll be using as inspiration, and one had a chest with a bunch of things I got for myself.

Now I'll wait until the morning so I can leave this town and go and search other stuff :D

spuit*11

Banned
There is no such option. The game's code has just been rearranged to make it easier to mod.

So you'll have to wait for a mod to do this for you.

lol yeah I just realized I wasn't using the default texture pack... it explains a few things. I like 1.8 so far, I just crashed trying to smelt some iron though.

Some Weaklin said:
lol yeah I just realized I wasn't using the default texture pack... it explains a few things. I like 1.8 so far, I just crashed trying to smelt some iron though.

Yeah the ovens are extremely glitchy in 1.8 you can hardly do anything with them without the game crashing. At the moment I am enjoying 1.8 despite it crashing every 5 - 10 minutes. I know this is "pre-alpha" but it is hard to see how Jeb could've had this ready for the 8th or even the 12th. I am actually thinking of reverting back to 1.73 till they get it stabilised.

Mik2121

CharmingCharlie said:
Yeah the ovens are extremely glitchy in 1.8 you can hardly do anything with them without the game crashing. At the moment I am enjoying 1.8 despite it crashing every 5 - 10 minutes. I know this is "pre-alpha" but it is hard to see how Jeb could've had this ready for the 8th or even the 12th. I am actually thinking of reverting back to 1.73 till they get it stabilised.
Really? That's weird.

I've been using the furnaces without issues at all. Iron, Diamond, Sand, whatever... everything worked fine? :/

Toki1776

Well, since everyone is playng 1.8, now seems like a good time to trim the map. As of this post, Neocraft will be down for maintenance for a couple hours.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mik2121 said:
Really? That's weird.

I've been using the furnaces without issues at all. Iron, Diamond, Sand, whatever... everything worked fine? :/

Yeah, I haven't had any furnace problems at all. What I have had are chunk errors along biome edges. And my 1.8 area isn't even close to being connected to my old pre-1.8 map area. I don't think 1.8 likes old pre-1.8 maps very well:

2011-09-10_095622.png

I'm going to make a boat and sail off for a new continent to see if I get chunk errors far far FAR away from my old 1.7 area.

I've also had Minecraft crash a few times due to running out of memory. Just a relaunch of the game fixed it, but MC currently has a memory problem of some kind.

onken

Yeah couldn't resist and have been playing 1.8, the creative mode is awesome!

I'm kinda glad Minecraft pocket is limited to Xperia play right now. As soon as other Android mobiles can use it, oh dear goodbye life.

Ranger X

All the stories on this leak are making the game look buggy as fuck. It normal because Mojang did mess with alot of deep code but I really hope it will be fixed for the true update.

I trimmed the world around my base, the new generated chunks look pretty cool. I have a lot of chunk errors but I like how they look.

All my old oceans are 1 block higher than the new generated oceans. It isn't a big deal for me, the seam is very short. I'll probably just fill it with sand or dirt.

This link shows the problem I'm having with the oceans:

http://i.imgur.com/Eh5yd.jpg

onken

Oh this game, this game.

viigkh.png

9gwlmc.png

So awesome going round the caverns and seeing remnants of mines, abandoned shacks, old cart tracks. So much more atmosphere and life in the world.

Woorloog

Banned
Qwomo said:
I like those chunk "errors". The game was sorely lacking in flat cliff faces before.
Yup. I hope 1.9 will include biomes with proper cliffs. Someone tweet Notch and mention MC needs cliffs.

Ark

parasight said:
Can anyone login to MC right now?

Into the NeoCraft server? It's down for 'maintenance'.

I've added so many people to the citizen list in these last couple of weeks. Probably wont see them again after 2 weeks of 1.8 :lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Now I'm getting rain in snow biomes. That's it, time to abandon my main world and start a brand new one. I think my old alpha seed just isn't working nicely with the 1.8 generator. It's an adventure update, time to start from scratch anyway, lol!

This will let me use a seed name anyway. "Mengy's World" it is!!!

Getting some serious bugs now. Around 15 seconds after entering the game, I get a screen that says "saving chunks" in a blurry text and then goes black. Anyone else having this problem?

Is it just me, or do you have more 'reach' now? If I'm chopping down a tree for example, it seems like I can chop one block higher than I could before.

Have a sever set up for my wife, brother, and I to play on and I used our names for the world seed. You end up spawning on a treeless island in the middle of a vast ocean.

vbIVg.png

So if you like the ocean and want a challenge use: MarkStephanieZachary as your seed, lol

WolfofMebu said:
Have a sever set up for my wife, brother, and I to play on and I used our names for the world seed. You end up spawning on a treeless island in the middle of a vast ocean.
I'd like to do something like this. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for setting up a small Minecraft server?

Drazgul

Puppet Shadow said:
I'd like to do something like this. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for setting up a small Minecraft server?

If you want the vanilla experience, you simply go to minecraft.net, grab the server exe, run it and you're done. Mods can accomplish a lot more, of course, but if you want to start a server as soon as 1.8 hits, it's a lot easier to just go with the regular server and wait till bukkit etc. get updated properly.

just updated and been checking out the new algorithms and whatnot. It really feels a lot different what with the cleaner looking biomes and lighting system however at the same time, the game now runs like ass on my laptop. Are we saying that's because it's unofficial or because my laptop is getting it's ass handed to it? It's not that old either. coming up a year in the next few days. I hope the new update doesn't force me out of the game because I can't run it :(

for reference neocraft ran fine with the standard texture pack...

EDIT: also, i've never been able to run the game fullscreen using F11 because it shuts down and puts an error log on my desktop. Is there a way to fix that?

EDIT2: Woooow. After playing it for a while, i've realised how much of a game changer this update is. I just stumbled around a cave/mine for the last hour with no end in sight. Hoarded so much stuff. Not seen a village yet though. What an update, can't wait to get on the server with it.

I think I found my 1.8 starting point for my next single-player world.

Seed: Yellowstone

Starts you off inside of a village on a relatively flat plain. You don't have to go far to start finding epic mountains and very deep and long ravines.

I did some fast spelunking and discovered there are a lot of epic cave systems, including abandoned mines. I stumbled upon this sight while running around on creative mode;

MRUyR.jpg

spuit*11

Banned
Wow strongholds are huge.

You can find one at these coords/seed

Seed: 1448524118
Co-Ordinates:
X:-869
Y:35
Z:49

These will be a lot of fun clearing out with a party.

spuit*11 said:
Wow strongholds are huge.

You can find one at these coords/seed

Seed: 1448524118
Co-Ordinates:
X:-869
Y:35
Z:49

These will be a lot of fun clearing out with a party.

Nice, I first one of those I saw, looks like it's connected to an abandoned mine.

I like the added touch of metal doors with buttons to open/close them.

Can't wait to see what comes in 1.9 now, I wonder if the villages will be like Millenaire.

Top Bottom