• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

DurielBlack said:
Can't wait to see what comes in 1.9 now, I wonder if the villages will be like Millenaire.

If they're not similar or even better, then it'll be a wasted update imo.

Grinchy

Banned
AngryChinchilla said:
I got off of work early today, but minecraft.net has been down for me since I got home :(
I haven't been able to actually connect to minecraft.net since shortly after I updated to 1.8. I keep having to play offline.

Despite the crashing and the duplication bug, starting from scratch and playing vanilla survival in 1.8 has been some of the most fun I've had in Minecraft yet. I just feel like the entire experience has been improved. I still don't like the fact that you can fast forward to daytime, but whatever I'll just not use that.

I was flying around in CM and a found this:

It's a ravine, in a mountain, that goes all the way down. Can't wait for the official release.

Finally got into minecraft.net and downloaded 1.8. Game is super laggy for me all the time, which shouldn't be happening since I have a i7 @ 3.6 and a 5970.

Ark

AngryChinchilla said:
Finally got into minecraft.net and downloaded 1.8. Game is super laggy for me all the time, which shouldn't be happening since I have a i7 @ 3.6 and a 5970.

You'll need to upgrade your rig, it's common knowledge that i7's are outdated and wont even run Minecraft now.

Try updating Java and try pressing like F11 or F10 in-game to make it go true fullscreen, usually helps :)

Zomba13

Ok. I've noticed my minecraft guy wearing wrong skins when I play. Like, I stopped playing for a long time and when I went on neocraft the other day I was wearing a knight skin (not my Finn Skin). Went on just now and my guy was wearing a Luke Skywalker skin.
I changed my pass after I first noticed the wrong skin. Does someone have access to my minecraft account?

Articalys

Can someone who's more into FPS games explain the joke behind the "Quake Pro" reference? Did one game in the series have a really wide FOV or something?

DarkKyo

Anyone know a solution to the "Out of memory!" crash happening to a lot of people? I can play about 4 minutes of 1.8 before it crashes on me and my computer can handle so much more than this game....

My first house built in CM

mmTz9l.png

DnCAAl.png

8Akb0l.png

3qhlWl.png

Awesome ravine

hvEPZl.jpg

Q3Idul.jpg

i8D5ql.png

L0Rc6l.png

I'm using the seed "iamthecheese" and it's pretty cool

Grinchy

Banned
Is there a way to play offline without trying to log in first? It's been saying "Logging in..." for minutes.

edit- nvm i closed it then it worked on next start up

Grinchy

Banned
Dechaios said:
64 bit java? What do you mean?
He's asking if you use a 64-bit OS and whether or not you know that you need to manually install the 64-bit java client.

If you don't, you don't have to worry. It likely installed the 32-bit version automatically.

edit: BEAT BY FUCKING ARK. GO AWAY ARK

Ark

Grinchy said:
He's asking if you use a 64-bit OS and whether or not you know that you need to manually install the 64-bit java client.

If you don't, you don't have to worry. It likely installed the 32-bit version automatically.

edit: BEAT BY FUCKING ARK. GO AWAY ARK

zbXUW.gif

<3

DurielBlack said:
I think I found my 1.8 starting point for my next single-player world.

Seed: Yellowstone

Starts you off inside of a village on a relatively flat plain. You don't have to go far to start finding epic mountains and very deep and long ravines.

I did some fast spelunking and discovered there are a lot of epic cave systems, including abandoned mines. I stumbled upon this sight while running around on creative mode;

MRUyR.jpg

That spawn is brilliant. I love it. However, I hate going too far from the village so soon, and I can't find a damn tree anywhere.

EskimoJoe said:
That spawn is brilliant. I love it. However, I hate going too far from the village so soon, and I can't find a damn tree anywhere.

Around X -122 Z 53 right near the edge of the shoreline is a great little cave to start spelunking from and it's not too far away. I found a single tree in the opposite direction from the village near the base of a mountain with ravine that runs under it, I chopped it down and replanted the seeds closer to the village.

That cave system is awesome, I've found 1 spider spawner and at least 2 different abandoned mines and I haven't explored a tenth of the place. I found some sort of ruins as well judging from some mossy cobble, but its in the ceiling and right underneath the ocean, its kinda like sunken ruins. Awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
spuit*11 said:
Wow strongholds are huge.

You can find one at these coords/seed

Seed: 1448524118
Co-Ordinates:
X:-869
Y:35
Z:49

These will be a lot of fun clearing out with a party.
That Seed has a HUUUUGE desert that's so big it has two villages in it. Biomes are sooo much more awesome now.

The only thing that could make them better is if they generated biomes more like Earth's climate regions. North and south would be cold and snowy. Center would be hot and tropical. And all in the middle a muddle of different types.

Speaking of tropical, they should make desert islands that have palm trees and seashells on them.

Also, deserts should have their own kinds of ruins. Sandstone ruins and pyramids would be AMAZING. I am surprised they didn't think of it themselves.

Blizzard

Banned
Remember when people were talking about how with biomes and such, terrain generation wasn't very good anymore?

I guess the ideal solution would be to let people tune sliders like "more floating mountains" or "more caves", but still...these screenshots are looking great. It sounds like things have really been improved in terms of world creation. :)

Grinchy

Banned
Blizzard said:
Remember when people were talking about how with biomes and such, terrain generation wasn't very good anymore?

I guess the ideal solution would be to let people tune sliders like "more floating mountains" or "more caves", but still...these screenshots are looking great. It sounds like things have really been improved in terms of world creation. :)
What I really like about what seems to be going on here is that there are huge expansive areas of land which seems to have a certain property (plains, mountains, swamps, ect). So if you don't like flat land, you just walk until you see the crazy mountainous areas which are sure to be around.

I can't wait to find a huge snow biome.

Sye d'Burns

Blizzard said:

Terrain wasn't very good anymore. It was very bland. The caves seemed so small and there were no massive underground spectacles. At least not of the same frequency as before biomes came in.

With 1.8, I take it all back.

I'm in awe again. It's a wonderful feeling. Better than before. I was seriously impressed when seeing a sunset in a thunderstorm, with lightning flashes and the like.

Mirk

I have a server running 1.8 up if any of you guys and gals want to mess around with 1.8
atm I only have it set to have 10 people. no mods or anything either ;) STOVE works too :D

quote to see!

onken

Sye d'Burns said:
Terrain wasn't very good anymore. It was very bland. The caves seemed so small and there were no massive underground spectacles. At least not of the same frequency as before biomes came in.

With 1.8, I take it all back.

I'm in awe again. It's a wonderful feeling. Better than before. I was seriously impressed when seeing a sunset in a thunderstorm, with lightning flashes and the like.

Yeah it's insane. The fact there are literally infinite possibilities is just insane, you'd never need another game.

*goes to play something else*

Hey NeoCrafters, lets talk about 1.8 spawn area. Currently spawn is a mess. Mixed themes, with some good creative builds and some messy and or bland builds. I think what we need is a consistent theme with the surrounding area void of personal builds.

With the Manifest Destiny (The Ark) being the spawn point a Port/Harbor/Settlement theme is the natural and obvious choice. Some ideas. First keeping with the 'new world' vibe, a simple settlement town with inspiration drawn from real colonial landing points such as Jamestown.

I rather quickly slapped together an idea of what that could look like(creative mode). Reminder, this is basically a small example of what I am thinking.

Ef1dR.png

hq0zs.png

Another idea is a little more developed and advanced Harbor/Port city. I played a fair share of Dawn of Discovery(Anno 1404) and thought something like this could be amazing.

t9qFq.jpg

Lets take it a few steps Further. How ambitious are we? Maybe we can come together or least a handful of us and build something truly defining. Truly awesome for a new person to see as they log on for the first time.

whgCA.jpg

I love this piece of concept art from Dragon Age 2. Could we do something like this? I know a few of our builders have built some epic shit, maybe some of us could come together and design and build a truly awe inspiring build.

Mirk

Rabbit Lord said:
Hey NeoCrafters, lets talk about 1.8 spawn area. Currently spawn is a mess. Mixed themes, with some good creative builds and some messy and or bland builds. I think what we need is a consistent theme with the surrounding area void of personal builds.

With the Manifest Destiny (The Ark) being the spawn point a Port/Harbor/Settlement theme is the natural and obvious choice. Some ideas. First keeping with the 'new world' vibe, a simple settlement town with inspiration drawn from real colonial landing points such as Jamestown.

I rather quickly slapped together an idea of what that could look like(creative mode). Reminder, this is basically a small example of what I am thinking.

Another idea is a little more developed and advanced Harbor/Port city. I played a fair share of Dawn of Discovery(Anno 1404) and thought something like this could be amazing.

Lets take it a few steps Further. How ambitious are we? Maybe we can come together or least a handful of us and build something truly defining. Truly awesome for a new person to see as they log on for the first time.

I love this piece of concept art from Dragon Age 2. Could we do something like this? I know a few of our builders have built some epic shit, maybe some of us could come together and design and build a truly awe inspiring build.

I would very much like to do something like this for spawn.

HenryHSH

Rabbit Lord said:
whgCA.jpg

Off topic but this reminds me of a scene in one of the LotR movies.

Sye d'Burns

Mirk said:
I have a server running 1.8 up if any of you guys and gals want to mess around with 1.8
atm I only have it set to have 10 people. no mods or anything either ;) STOVE works too :D

Thanks for the server. Good times! Shame that cave spider got me at the end though.

celebi23

Rabbit Lord said:

I think this is a fantastic idea. Would definitely add some "realism" to the game a bit. Great idea!

Blizzard

Banned
fredrancour said:
All of my confused at every aspect of the song of ice and fire reference. I guess I need to go get me those sequels tomorrow. My brain is so full of wat at the generic non-spoiler.
I'm confused. :p I was careful to keep it non-spoilery. Here is a slightly more detailed description in spoiler text, though it's just a description of the geography around the statue.

I think this might not have shown up until book 3-4.

*** IF YOU DON'T WANT GEOGRAPHY SPOILED DO NOT READ ***
One island/water location in a Song of Ice and Fire book has a giant titan statue. I think it is hollow, might have fires burning in its eyes, and it has some sort of horn so it can shout/yell every morning. Apparently the idea is for it to be huge and imposing as people sail into the harbor, kind of like the big Lord of the Rings statues.

Grinchy

Banned
Rabbit Lord said:

t9qFq.jpg

omg I want this. There's no grass in the entire port area. All of the land mass on that coast was built. This shit would take forever but it would be sooo good. Imagine how cool that would look on the map.

We could replicate that theme using smooth stone, gravel, cobble, wood, ect. We could even have the surfaces being held up by columns that go down into the water just like that.

Mik2121

In screenshots it doesn't look nearly as impressive, but, damn...

I was playing on a new map (the definitive one I'll be using for my singleplayer fun) and I was collecting some wood around. The night came so I decided to light up all my surroundings and start to build a small house. Little did I know that I'd be incredibly harassed by tons of enemies.. and before I knew it, I had only 2 hearts left so I did what little I could.. I started to dig under my house some 5 blocks or so and closed the entrance so no enemies would get me.

I decided to wait a bit and dig around me a bit to see what I had around. I barely had any coal so I couldn't go crazy mining. Then after some 5 minutes I decided to go up, but it was raining, so I went back to my small underground room, and started to mine some 5 blocks to the right when I saw this:

SSEM7.png

I almost fell down and was scared to death because I only had two hearts left. But this place looked so interesting.. So I basically started to make a small balcony around the side of the cliff and got to this place:

4mnVx.png

It doesn't look nearly as impressive in screenshots, but it was awesome, really. And I was able to find this just because I decided to hide for the night. How awesome is it!?

blamite

That's so awesome, Mik. The vines really are a great addition, the sight of them growing down into tht ravine makes the environment look so much more natural and wild.

I'm loving the update so far, but the game is now super laggy, when it wasn't before at all. Is this a common thing? Any solutions?

Grinchy

Banned
That's weird that we all have different problems. It's not laggy at all for me, but it crashes very often or not at all. I'm starting to wonder if cooking anything in the furnace with charcoal (not regular coal) is the problem but I haven't tested it or anything.

blamite

Grinchy said:
That's weird that we all have different problems. It's not laggy at all for me, but it crashes very often or not at all. I'm starting to wonder if cooking anything in the furnace with charcoal (not regular coal) is the problem but I haven't tested it or anything.
I've only played for an hour or two, but I haven't had any crashes at all. The lag isn't really noticeable most of the time, but as soon as I start looking around too fast, like swinging the reticle around while attacking a pig, the game gets big-time laggy.

I also get a crash whenever I try to cook chicken, but that's the only crash I've encountered so far.

Mik2121

blamite said:
I've only played for an hour or two, but I haven't had any crashes at all. The lag isn't really noticeable most of the time, but as soon as I start looking around too fast, like swinging the reticle around while attacking a pig, the game gets big-time laggy.
Are you playing with Distance drawing set to far? If so, try and change it to normal. At first it sucks, but you get used to it, you can still see a lot, and it runs much smoother.

At least it worked for me (I'm on a 2011 15" MBP, but MC isn't really optimized to run smoothly on a MBP..), so you might want to give it a try. It runs butter smooth :)

Drazgul

Man, Mojang should just have that 'all ur mods are belong to us' clause in their TOS - most of what this patch brings, mods have already done and better. 1.8 villages suck in comparison to Millenaire's (bet the npc's won't even build/upgrade them), and the mineshafts are just lolbad compared to stuff like Mystic Ruins (which had vines too already).

blamite

Mik2121 said:
Are you playing with Distance drawing set to far? If so, try and change it to normal. At first it sucks, but you get used to it, you can still see a lot, and it runs much smoother.

At least it worked for me (I'm on a 2011 15" MBP, but MC isn't really optimized to run smoothly on a MBP..), so you might want to give it a try. It runs butter smooth :)
Huh, I switched to Normal and it's running fine. I'm glad to be running smoothly again, but I did like being able t see farther. :/ Oh well, I can live with it.

edit: Of course, immediately after saying this, I get a random crash just walking into a cave. Oh well, guess I'll just wait for the final release to play much more.

Grinchy

Banned
blamite when you are getting the crashes from using the furnace, are you using regular coal or charcoal? I'm just curious. I seem to get a lot of my crashes when I have something in a furnace or a little bit afterward and I've mainly used charcoal.

Top Bottom