• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

blamite

Grinchy said:
blamite when you are getting the crashes from using the furnace, are you using regular coal or charcoal? I'm just curious. I seem to get a lot of my crashes when I have something in a furnace or a little bit afterward and I've mainly used charcoal.
The only crash I've ever gotten from the furnace is from cooking chicken with regular coal. I've cooked pork, beef, iron ore, and sand, all with regular coal, and chicken is the only one that's been a problem.

Articalys

If I might ask again: what's the inside joke with the "Quake Pro" setting? Did one of the Quake games have a really wide FOV or something?

Mik2121

Rabbit Lord said:
t9qFq.jpg
Gave this a try on Creative mode. This thing in Survival would take forever to build :p

ykLwh.jpg

Jesus Christ, what happened to the img compression.... sorry :S

Ark

Rabbit Lord said:
Hey NeoCrafters, lets talk about 1.8 spawn area. Currently spawn is a mess. Mixed themes, with some good creative builds and some messy and or bland builds. I think what we need is a consistent theme with the surrounding area void of personal builds.

With the Manifest Destiny (The Ark) being the spawn point a Port/Harbor/Settlement theme is the natural and obvious choice. Some ideas. First keeping with the 'new world' vibe, a simple settlement town with inspiration drawn from real colonial landing points such as Jamestown.

I rather quickly slapped together an idea of what that could look like(creative mode). Reminder, this is basically a small example of what I am thinking.

http://i.imgur.com/Ef1dR.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hq0zs.png[IMG]

Another idea is a little more developed and advanced Harbor/Port city. I played a fair share of Dawn of Discovery(Anno 1404) and thought something like this could be amazing.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/t9qFq.jpg

Lets take it a few steps Further. How ambitious are we? Maybe we can come together or least a handful of us and build something truly defining. Truly awesome for a new person to see as they log on for the first time.

http://i.imgur.com/whgCA.jpg[IMG]

I love this piece of concept art from Dragon Age 2. Could we do something like this? I know a few of our builders have built some epic shit, maybe some of us could come together and design and build a truly awe inspiring build.[/QUOTE]

I think the large port town in the photo I've left linked is the best option. Whilst I LOVE the DA2 idea, the Ark's would best fit the theme of a port town.

When we decide what it is we're going to do, we'll take around 10 or so 'selected' builders to plan out and start the spawn area. That way we'll be able to manage how its organised far better and we wont end up with the sprawling mess that was the original spawn :p

I think once the area is planned out etc, lists should be drawn up of what needs to be built, and people can lend themselves to building certain parts of the town.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope this isn't more taxing on computers. I'll want to run it on both the kid's laptop (i5 with 540M GPU) and my 2011 MBA.

Mik2121

mrklaw said:
I hope this isn't more taxing on computers. I'll want to run it on both the kid's laptop (i5 with 540M GPU) and my 2011 MBA.
For me it runs perfectly fine on my MBP, but I had to set the drawing distance to Normal instead of Far. Otherwise, as I said, perfectly fine.

Xun

Mik2121 said:
For me it runs perfectly fine on my MBP, but I had to set the drawing distance to Normal instead of Far. Otherwise, as I said, perfectly fine.
I think in general Minecraft sadly runs worse on OSX than Windows.

Ranger X

Sye d'Burns said:
Terrain wasn't very good anymore. It was very bland. The caves seemed so small and there were no massive underground spectacles. At least not of the same frequency as before biomes came in.

You weren't spelunking in the same game than me it seems! I explored caved (with pretty expansive areas) that took me days to explore. But yeah, it's even better now.

I have a question about Intel HD Graphics. Yes, I know intergrated graphics are inferior for almost everything outside of watching videos and surfing the net but I still want to play on my laptop...

I just got an ASUS K52F Core i5 450m with 4gb of ram and figured it would be able to handle the task better than my now dead HP Pavilion DV6000 Core2Duo 1.6ghz and 4gb of ram. I was mistaken. Minecraft runs kind of choppy if I use fancy graphics and normal to near draw distance. It runs fine if I don't use fancy though. I guess its something I can live with but I am really bummed out. If anybody knows of any tweaks or work arounds to improve graphics, I'd really like to know.

Anyhow 1.8 is pretty dang cool. It feels like a whole new game because of how the maps are formed. Can't wait till my friend gets his server back up again so I can rebuild...

spirity

Articalys said:
If I might ask again: what's the inside joke with the "Quake Pro" setting? Did one of the Quake games have a really wide FOV or something?

I can only speak about Quake 3, but it was really borne out of players trying to get as much as an advantage on their opponents as they could. Due to the nature of the fast paced gameplay of Quake (split second reactions meant you getting the drop on your opponent was often critical), people used custom configs that dropped all of the graphical settings down as far as possible. One of the advantages of tweaking the fov was you'd see more onscreen at 110 than you would at 75 (or whatever the default was, I can't remember). This was important to competitive players, and even though it gave a 'fisheye' effect, it meant that hopefully they'd spot their opponent first. Some people also said it helped their aim and movement around the map better. Some stuck with the default however, and did pretty well.

I'm sure the new code has upped the amount of ores generated due to the ravines and whatnot. I've just started a new new new map and within 10 mins i've got a 64 stack of iron. Loving this update so much so far!

Mik2121

Barnaby_Jones said:
I'm sure the new code has upped the amount of ores generated due to the ravines and whatnot. I've just started a new new new map and within 10 mins i've got a 64 stack of iron. Loving this update so much so far!
Was about to post the same. Ore seems to be more frequent. Not in a 'oh god this place is FULL of ore' way, but if you find a ravine, you'll surely find quite a bunch of stuff.

It feels great and doesn't feel overloaded at all.

Mik2121 said:
Was about to post the same. Ore seems to be more frequent. Not in a 'oh god this place is FULL of ore' way, but if you find a ravine, you'll surely find quite a bunch of stuff.

It feels great and doesn't feel overloaded at all.

Yeah, it feels very natural. Just stumbled upon another massive mine full of endermen and cave spiders right next to a ravine that extended all the way down to pure lava. Jaws hit floors. This game is getting too much! I've got a degree to study for this year! :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I was starting a new world, put in a certain seed and started of on a tiny island with one tree. Made the workbench, some dirt housing and still dont have enough wood for a pickaxe... patiently waiting for my first tree to grow...
Also: no animals so far, I gathered some dirt and made a bigger plain for them to spawn, but right now I only got zombies and skeletons during the night but no animal spawns. So I should probably starve within one day. Hope I'll find a mod soon that deactivates starving.

And the last funny thing, because of the skeletons I sat in my mud housing during the night until one dirt cube disappeared and an Ender stared at me through the hole.

Oh dear.

Orlandu84

Mik2121 said:
Gave this a try on Creative mode. This thing in Survival would take forever to build :p
I like what you've done there Mik2121:) I too think that the dock/town idea is a good one for the spawn for the new NeoCraft map.

Toma said:
I was starting a new world, put in a certain seed and started of on a tiny island with one tree. Made the workbench, some dirt housing and still dont have enough wood for a pickaxe... patiently waiting for my first tree to grow...
Also: no animals so far, I gathered some dirt and made a bigger plain for them to spawn, but right now I only got zombies and skeletons during the night but no animal spawns. So I should probably starve within one day. Hope I'll find a mod soon that deactivates starving.

And the last funny thing, because of the skeletons I sat in my mud housing during the night until one dirt cube disappeared and an Ender stared at me through the hole.

Oh dear.

OH JESUS CHRIST this will be awesome.

Sye d'Burns

Ranger X said:
You weren't spelunking in the same game than me it seems! I explored caved (with pretty expansive areas) that took me days to explore. But yeah, it's even better now.

Certainly the same game; definitely not the same seeds. In my experiences, after biomes came in exploration just wasn't as good.

1.8 though. Wow.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ark said:
I think the large port town in the photo I've left linked is the best option. Whilst I LOVE the DA2 idea, the Ark's would best fit the theme of a port town.

When we decide what it is we're going to do, we'll take around 10 or so 'selected' builders to plan out and start the spawn area. That way we'll be able to manage how its organised far better and we wont end up with the sprawling mess that was the original spawn :p

I think once the area is planned out etc, lists should be drawn up of what needs to be built, and people can lend themselves to building certain parts of the town.
wait does this mean we will use an water map. because that would be sooo cool.

Ark said:

I would like to help. I like collecting large amounts of resources and building massive projects. I'd like it if we didn't spawn any resources. Builds are far more impressive if everything is legitimate.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I started my new single player world with the seed "Mengy's World" and spawned right at the base of a HUGE single lonely mountain surrounded by rivers at what seems to be the meeting point of four different biomes: forest, plain, desert, and swamp. Really freaking cool monstrous mountain, it goes from sea level to almost the build limit, and seems to be full of cave entrances too. Here are some pics of it:

2011-09-11_070859.png

2011-09-11_070929.png

2011-09-11_070959.png

There are a few valleys and a huge lake within the mountain. This one always has a dozen or more pigs running about it. I'm calling it pig valley:

2011-09-11_070844.png

This is looking one direction off the top of the mountain, where the desert meets the forest:

2011-09-11_071303.png

And in this direction is where the forest meets the plains:

2011-09-11_071332.png

And there is a large swamp on the other side:

2011-09-11_070822.png

After I get a good base started I'm going to go off and explore the biomes and see just how far they stretch. I'm really loving the new biome generator, much more atmospheric than before. And lightning storms are much improved, wow! Oh, and rain kills endermen, lol!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ark said:

I volunteer to do the town mine! Any chance to dig in the earth and I'm volunteering!

Mik2121

That reminds me.. have you guys seen snow biomes after installing 1.8? I have yet to see any and I've tried some 10 or so seeds, and walked around quite a bit.

kodt

Banned
Articalys said:

All of the Quake games let you customize the FOV in the config files (not the normal options). Some Pro quake players would set the FOV really wide so they could see further to each side, this wasn't considered cheating in quake multiplayer. It is sort of a jab at Quake players that set their FOV real wide.

ksimm

Mik2121 said:
That reminds me.. have you guys seen snow biomes after installing 1.8? I have yet to see any and I've tried some 10 or so seeds, and walked around quite a bit.
Nope not yet, and I've been through a good number of seeds.

I am one with the forest...

I used my username as a seed and spawned on top of a tree, in a sea of trees. Trees as far as the eye could see. So awesome.

Dragmire

I know some people would probably hate this, but I'd like to see a mountain biome that's made of stone and really hard to traverse. But it could have a lot of ore and stuff in it and caves and rivers. And further in the future, maybe they could implement snow on the tops of mountains.

Also an easy idea, but I think it'd be cool to hear wind the higher up that you go (while also being outside). That would really give a sense of height. There are probably mods that do that. I tried one with wind sounds, but I never got it to work.

Managing to resist downloading the leak for now, but one thing I have to ask - do minecarts have sound in this update? And what are the improved sounds like in general?

Ark

Jhriad said:
So have we started planning out spawn & the transit system yet? Or are we keeping warping & flying?

We'll get the transit system sorted once we have the spawn planned and built.

Xun

For testing purposes before I make it on Ark's server when 1.8/1.9 hits, here's the castle so far:

fIzQd.png

This is what I'll eventually be aiming for:

ce59a7292f3461ffaa4a185fe14cf9f1.jpg

If you remember I worked on a similar Disney castle on Timan's server but it was nowhere near as grand as this will eventually be, nor was it done on a survival server.

I'll need as much stone as I can possibly get, so if you're willing to donate some please do!

I'm not even Disney-mad (despite the avatar), I just love castles.

Xun said:
For testing purposes before I make it on Ark's server when 1.8/1.9 hits, here's the castle so far:

fIzQd.png

This is what I'll eventually be aiming for:

ce59a7292f3461ffaa4a185fe14cf9f1.jpg

If you remember I worked on a similar Disney castle on Timan's server but it was nowhere near as grand as this will eventually be, nor was it done on a survival server.

I'll need as much stone as I can possibly get, so if you're willing to donate some please do!

I'm not even Disney-mad (despite the avatar), I just love castles.

Amazing, Im starting at a friends sever were we have a huge city with lots of people working in it a huge Disneyland resort, that means Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. Just started with the street that goes to both parks, but we are waiting for tomorrow to continue with it after the official 1.8 release.

So I found out what the bottom of the world looks like now:

s0dcS.jpg

Everything is covered in a thick black fog with particles appearing and disappearing. I wish I could build something down here. That lava is stopped at that point, nothing can go below it.

Jhriad

Toppot said:
Since there's only 1 per server i can see there being a possible fight for mossy stone brick, unless you can make mossy stuff now?

If you take the mossy stone brick it only places as regular stone brick (which you can make). No reason to take it currently then.

Xun

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Amazing, Im starting at a friends sever were we have a huge city with lots of people working in it a huge Disneyland resort, that means Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. Just started with the street that goes to both parks, but we are waiting for tomorrow to continue with it after the official 1.8 release.
Keep me posted dude, I'll be interested in seeing what you guys come up with!

HenryHSH said:
Nice work. Aren't the front walls angled though?
I've made them slightly angled but I'll probably do it even more in the actual thing.

Roche

Jhriad said:
If you take the mossy stone brick it only places as regular stone brick (which you can make). No reason to take it currently then.

You can also just use vines for the same effect I'm pretty sure.

Top Bottom