• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
fhtagn said:
Nothing plays well with a trackpad.

Although in all seriousness, I definitely would not recommend playing Minecraft in such a way. I play it on my laptop, and when I don't have my mouse around it's an exercise in frustration. Maybe it's just the way I play, but sometimes I need to be extremely dextrous while playing Minecraft; trackpad makes everything imprecise and awkward.

Just buy a cheap little mouse.
It's just you. I have no problems whatsoever on my MacBook Pro with the magic trackpad. Very responsive. Very easy since I don't have to search for a right or left button. I can just click with one or two fingers to use or place items.

In fact, I haven't played this game with a mouse once. Not once.

Qwomo

Jasoco said:
It's just you. I have no problems whatsoever on my MacBook Pro with the magic trackpad. Very responsive. Very easy since I don't have to search for a right or left button. I can just click with one or two fingers to use or place items.

Well you're a weirdo.

todahawk

Jasoco said:

Wow, I hadn't tried my magic pad on minecraft yet... very nice.

Beaner

Tried my hand for the first time on Exano's server tonight. Had some run-ins with some zombies underneath Venice (in the West I think)

Pretty interesting server (or the 1/100th I've seen of it)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mister Zimbu said:
Notch should just hire the guy that made this mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aohtxgH5yHk

Wow, I have to admit, that mod impresses the shit out of me. I play the game with no mods at all, other than my own better glass texture pack, but I may have to try that one out. The birds are done so awesomely. And, do those wolves look exactly like the models that are being put into the official game next patch?

Ranger X

Mengy said:
Wow, I have to admit, that mod impresses the shit out of me. I play the game with no mods at all, other than my own better glass texture pack, but I may have to try that one out. The birds are done so awesomely. And, do those wolves look exactly like the models that are being put into the official game next patch?

They don't look at all like the "official wolves". Look up the page 19 for the official wolves.

Grinchy

Banned
Mengy said:
That's how I play too. I fix the glass, and then sometimes I mess with the stone, dirt, grass, or whatever. I don't really like playing with mods or texture packs but that mod did look really cool.

Jasoco

Banned
Question about redstone:

How would I go about making a "two-way" switch? For instance:

If I have one device, say some doors, that I want to be able to open and close from either side.

How would I make an output that can be toggled by either of two or more switches?

Namely levers. The kind you can turn on and off rather than buttons that send a burst of power then turn off a second later. I want to be able to flip one one way and have the power turn on. Then go through to the other side and flip the second switch to turn it off.

Can this be done? How? Right now I have a gate that I can only open or close from one side.

Anyone have a diagram?

Im_Special

I was wondering, you know how the more you play on your world, build/explore/etc. the file size of your world keeps getting larger and lager, is there something I'm able to delete to get that size down, some sort of cache file maybe? My world is getting pretty big now and I've been noticing much longer load times now.

Jasoco

Banned
Im_Special said:
I was wondering, you know how the more you play on your world, build/explore/etc. the file size of your world keeps getting larger and lager, is there something I'm able to delete to get that size down, some sort of cache file maybe? My world is getting pretty big now and I've been noticing much longer load times now.
The size of the world has no effect on the load time. Also, no. The new Region method makes it harder to delete chunks to make it smaller. But the size should have nothing to do with load time since it just loads the area you're in.

Ranger X

Ok, I finally finished my first "good mob" grinder. Now I am starting digging the same thing under it so I will also have a "bad mob" grinder.

MobGrinder.png

:)

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Question about redstone:

How would I go about making a "two-way" switch? For instance:

If I have one device, say some doors, that I want to be able to open and close from either side.

How would I make an output that can be toggled by either of two or more switches?

Namely levers. The kind you can turn on and off rather than buttons that send a burst of power then turn off a second later. I want to be able to flip one one way and have the power turn on. Then go through to the other side and flip the second switch to turn it off.

Can this be done? How? Right now I have a gate that I can only open or close from one side.

Anyone have a diagram?

Look at this, it's very complete: Wiki Redstone Circuits

Don't ask me to explain anything in there though. :p

Jasoco

Banned
Ranger X said:
Look at this, it's very complete: Wiki Redstone Circuits

Don't ask me to explain anything in there though. :p
Thanks! Looks like an XOR switch is exactly what I needed. Now to implement it into my design.

Edit: Success! I now have double-double doors controlled by two different switches and a whole buttload of underground wiring.

I just wish they'd make pressure plates that are only activated by human players. It's still a pain to flip the switch manually since it makes you take your time to aim at the switch and click. And I'm using levers. Which are big. Don't get me started on how small the hitbox for push buttons is.

IrishNinja

nice, rangerx. what's your name @ minecraft?

finished up my art gallery, almost! just need a few more black wools (or dyed). i'm not sure about the entrances, and it's kinda easy to accidentally whack a painting & make me weep, but it looks good, by my standards.

what's next? i hear a water park needs help. still wanna see RE mansion, and i was curious: has anyone tried say the first dungeon from Legend of Zelda? it'd take a fuckton of steel slabs, sure, but it could be an awesome underground lair. hell, wolf showed me monster spawning on command somehow in the colosseum, why not for a labyrinth? might be overly ambitious, wanted to see if it'd been done.

Vlad

IrishNinja said:
what's next? i hear a water park needs help. still wanna see RE mansion, and i was curious: has anyone tried say the first dungeon from Legend of Zelda? it'd take a fuckton of steel slabs, sure, but it could be an awesome underground lair.

Actually, ZealousD made exactly that a few servers ago. It was on TouchMyBox's server.

Jasoco said:
Thanks! Looks like an XOR switch is exactly what I needed. Now to implement it into my design.

Edit: Success! I now have double-double doors controlled by two different switches and a whole buttload of underground wiring.

Was this in Single-Player or are you playing on one of the servers? Keep in mind that if you're playing on a server running Craftbook, then you can use the ICs there to replace complicated circuits. You can make an entire XOR circuit in three blocks (base block, sign, lever), which is a LOT smaller than doing the whole thing manually.

Of course, Craftbook isn't back up to working 100% just yet on the current servers, so it might be moot if XOR isn't one of the ICs that's working yet.

Sephon

Does GAF have any public servers or servers where you can apply for an invitation.

I'm looking for a server with some people on since playing with a few friends feels a bit too small scale.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sephon said:
Does GAF have any public servers or servers where you can apply for an invitation.

I'm looking for a server with some people on since playing with a few friends feels a bit too small scale.

quote the 3rd post on the first page for some IP addresses

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
you can do all that on a multiplayer server?

Sure, but this means less freedom + greafing + less of the nice solitude feeling the single player gives. Also, I play vanilla and most interesting multi servers aren't. I reserve the multiplayer experience for later if I want a change of mind.

Vinci

Danish
Starchasing said:
thanks man!! i tried playing portal with the trackpad and it was a nightmare.. i was wishing this was not the case :(

Just go buy a cheap mouse. You can get them for less than $10. And this game is so very worth it.

EDIT: Damn, those wolves are tough. Haha. Love it.

Ranger X

Took me some time to realise that when they tilt their head it means they like what I have in your hand and what to follow you and your orders...
I think this would need more feedback to the player. Their reaction to the bone is appropriate amount of feedback.

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
Actually, ZealousD made exactly that a few servers ago. It was on TouchMyBox's server.

Was this in Single-Player or are you playing on one of the servers? Keep in mind that if you're playing on a server running Craftbook, then you can use the ICs there to replace complicated circuits. You can make an entire XOR circuit in three blocks (base block, sign, lever), which is a LOT smaller than doing the whole thing manually.

Of course, Craftbook isn't back up to working 100% just yet on the current servers, so it might be moot if XOR isn't one of the ICs that's working yet.
Single player. I haven't gotten around to deciding which GAF server to join yet.

Those wolves look awesome. I like how they shake the water off. I can't watch the whole video on my phone. Too slow. But ill watch it when I get home.

BooJoh

I like how animated the wolves are, from tilting their head at treats to shaking off after they get wet. It's also cool how giving the bones to wild wolves added collars and made them tame.

I really hope they show up on peaceful and persist through saving/quitting/reloading.

Grinchy

Banned
Does anyone else on the Asscraft server see lag that makes it difficult to fight things? I am really new to playing online, so maybe this amount of latency I'm seeing is normal but I can barely kill a creeper even when I approach it because of the lag.

Other than that, I think I have been building on that server for over 12 hours in the last few days LOL. I can't stop.

Ranger X

BooJoh said:
I like how animated the wolves are, from tilting their head at treats to shaking off after they get wet. It's also cool how giving the bones to wild wolves added collars and made them tame.

I really hope they show up on peaceful and persist through saving/quitting/reloading.

I suppose the collar could mean "tamed turned on + NPV persist turn on".
I wouldn't count on it though...

Oh man, a companion animal.

I love that. I love being a "lone ranger" type character in open world games. I even specifically downloaded a pet wolf mod in Oblivion just because I thought having a companion dog is awesome.

Maybe it'll help make Minecraft not so lonely all the time. I just hope you can make them stay, so the awkward NPC pathing doesn't make them get stuck in caves.

Eccocid

animlboogy said:
Lag issues are rare for me. I do live in the US which may help. The server is still pretty far away; I'm in Iowa City and it's in Scranton, PA I believe. Some of the European players report spikes here and there, especially when it saves. I haven't heard of consistent problems.

Yeah there are lag spikes sometimes and but usually its pretty smooth considering all the players from all around the world!

Top Bottom