• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Kuran

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Is the official release really tomorrow? My new world is now crashing randomly every 30 seconds and I can't use it until the update.

Doubt it, Jeb's twitter feed has been disheartening so far.. it seems like there are more bugs than ever? I have a feeling we won't see an official release until 1.9..

Jasoco

Banned
I thought the giant mushrooms were held back?

Oh, you can grow them yourself? That's cool. But I'm more interested in the blocks from them. Make some mushroom houses. Super Mario Minecraft World.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
I thought the giant mushrooms were held back?

Oh, you can grow them yourself? That's cool. But I'm more interested in the blocks from them. Make some mushroom houses. Super Mario Minecraft World.

Same here. But right now they don't seem to give anything outside mushroom themselves.
Smurphs theme town = impossible for now. :(

Kuran said:
Doubt it, Jeb's twitter feed has been disheartening so far.. it seems like there are more bugs than ever? I have a feeling we won't see an official release until 1.9..
That is pretty much my feelings on this, there is no way 1.8 is ready. I have been tinkering with it all weekend and I have gone back to 1.7.3. I find 1.8 too unstable and bug ridden it is next to "unplayable" in my books.

I don't know whether they will wait till 1.9 to release it though. I think it might take them a further 1 - 2 weeks to get most of it sorted so it is playable.

Jasoco

Banned
What they should do is release a new prerelease every couple days until then just to keep people satisfied that they are definitely working hard on the bugs.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
What they should do is release a new prerelease every couple days until then just to keep people satisfied that they are definitely working hard on the bugs.

lol, or people could try to wait some? :p
Jeez the little impatient Kings and Queens.

Roche

CharmingCharlie said:
That is pretty much my feelings on this, there is no way 1.8 is ready. I have been tinkering with it all weekend and I have gone back to 1.7.3. I find 1.8 too unstable and bug ridden it is next to "unplayable" in my books.

I don't know whether they will wait till 1.9 to release it though. I think it might take them a further 1 - 2 weeks to get most of it sorted so it is playable.
I feel like most of these issues could be solved by hiring more than two devs to work on Minecraft, I understand that need to be indie but with a game as ambitious as Minecraft two just doesn't cut it.

I know there's more than two people working at mojang but I'm pretty sure it's just notch and jeb on Minecraft, rest of the company are on scrolls.

Grinchy

Banned
CharmingCharlie said:

Bugs are definitely present but I'd never go back to 1.7.

I've probably played 1.8 for like 10+ hours now and besides the crashes I get, it has been the best-playing version of Minecraft I've had. Not the best performing, mind you, but its gameplay is so much better. All the updates come together to make this experience that is so far above pre-1.8 minecraft.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
CharmingCharlie said:

I'm just the opposite. I've had two out of memory crashes so far in about 10 hours of playing 1.8, but I can't go back. 1.8 makes the game so much better, pre 1.8 minecraft is dead for me. I just spent hours down in an abandoned mine, holy shit are they huge, expansive, and dangerous. I literally got lost, had to tunnel my way up and out! And cave spiders, they are exactly what the game needed. It's 1.8 and forward for me...

The only bug I've experienced so far in the prerelease 1.8 build is with a random brown mushroom I picked up. It didn't stack with the rest of my mushrooms and I can't get rid of it, if I pick it up and throw it it doesn't leave my inventory and I can't pick up the ones I throw. It's kind of just stuck in one of my inventory slots. If I drop it on top of any other stack of brown mushrooms it reduces the stack size to one. Kind of weird.

Anyways, I spawned in a MASSIVE swamp, first day I built a boat and went around for about 15 minutes, lots of swamp and eventually I ran into a desert that seemed to go on forever, just next to the biome was a huge plains like biome (the one that's kind of brown grass with barely any trees). Went back to the swamp and built a small house and found the awesome new caves with tracks and wood walls all around. I love how there's such large bodies of water now with islands and how the biomes are so much larger... sucks that I spawned in such a dreary place though :p. Also, spiders are REALLY fucking scary now, they used to be the absolute lowest form of fodder but now they're my most feared opponent.

Jasoco

Banned
Generation really needs tweaking.

Right now villages, mines and ruins/strongholds spawn after the terrain is generated. They need to rearrange some generation algorithms and tweak them a little.

Villages currently spawn on top of the ground. But the game does not take into account the bumpiness. So we get ugly villages that may have malformed paths and sometimes parts in the water. They need to fix this so houses are placed first, then paths are created carved into and elevated above the ground with the paths going right to the doors of the houses. And make it spawn on mostly flat land. Or if you spawn one on a hilly land, make sure the houses are connected properly.

Mines are really weird. They are generated after caves are carved out. So you end up with malformed paths with holes and floating wood support beams.

And ruins are also spawned into cave systems so you end up with missing floors in a lot of places.

The game should generate the terrain first, then the mines and stronghold/ruins before any caves are carved out, then carve the caves out but avoid placing them where a mine or stronghold is located. Or, alternatively, make sure the bricks of the floors and walls are formed no matter what even if it means the cave is around the outside of the stronghold.

Right now it just looks messy.

You're obsessing over things being perfect when imperfection is what makes procedurally generated worlds interesting. Perfect mineshafts would get boring really quick, for example.

I do agree with some of that, though. They ought to code in a way for the generator to tell if a mineshaft is intersecting with a cave or ravine, for example, to prevent the floating wooden things.

But things like missing floors in ruins and caves intersecting with mineshafts are desirable. It would be sad if everything was overly controlled and pristine. I would have considerably less desire to go out and explore.

Working on an idea of what I see 1.8 spawn looking like, or at least theme wise based on the anno 1404 port idea. Obviously imagine this much bigger, covering more land, more detailed, would like to see back alley ways and a garden/park area etc. So many ideas could fit in to this.

m18Bb.png

m93p1.png

The new lighting in 1.8 is amazing.

limlark

I gave in and started trying out 1.8. I am currently flying around in Creative mode, suddenly enjoying 5-10 FPS (2 in the rain, which no amount of day-night cycling can stop) instead of my usual 80 or so. I hit a major chunk error that somehow included snow and ice, which were supposed to be removed in the prerelease. The already-placed torches in mineshafts are about the most player-unfriendly idea anyone could have thought of. I am about 2 hours in, and have found exactly one village, whose tiny, dirt-floored houses that don't even contain so much as a bed or painting are more depressing in person than I could have imagined.

They better not release this tomorrow.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just tried out 1.8, and my god is the frame rate bad. Is there a way to fix this? I was getting 60-80fps in 1.7, and now I'm down to like 10-15 fps.

Apath

Are the strongholds always right over those giant ravines? I found one of those in my world and ran into what looked to be wooden doorways all over in the rock. Then I bumped in to a bunch of monsters lead by Slender Man, so I booked it out of there and have yet to determine if it's worth going back.

onken

Mengy said:
So I started my new single player world with the seed "Mengy's World" and spawned right at the base of a HUGE single lonely mountain surrounded by rivers at what seems to be the meeting point of four different biomes: forest, plain, desert, and swamp. Really freaking cool monstrous mountain, it goes from sea level to almost the build limit, and seems to be full of cave entrances too. Here are some pics of it:

Yeah I started a world with seed "onken" and I get the same thing at 0,-200. Shame it doesn't open up to a deep ravine :\

Mik2121

Jasoco said:
Wait, snow and ice biomes were removed? Will they be back?
I'd be really surprised if they removed them. I will try and find some creating random worlds and running around :p

Edit: Just read a few posts above. Snow biomes were deleted from the pre-release. But maybe that doesn't mean they won't show up in the final 1.8 version.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
I'd be really surprised if they removed them. I will try and find some creating random worlds and running around :p

Try this seed:

Experiment 33

This was a spawn in a ice biome. Chances are that biomes might be around the same place as before so...

Sorry if this was posted already but I saw this on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/kb87s/20000x20000_world_in_18_this_time_image_scaled_10/

it's a 20,000 x 20,000 map of a 1.8 generated world compared to a world generated a few months ago. No, there's no snowy biomes but Jeb or Notch mentioned somewhere they weren't testing them so it's most likely they're just not in the leaked build we have but will be in the final version that releases (hopefully).

Jasoco said:
Villages currently spawn on top of the ground. But the game does not take into account the bumpiness. So we get ugly villages that may have malformed paths and sometimes parts in the water. They need to fix this so houses are placed first, then paths are created carved into and elevated above the ground with the paths going right to the doors of the houses. And make it spawn on mostly flat land. Or if you spawn one on a hilly land, make sure the houses are connected properly.
I'm not sure how up-to-date the leaked 1.8 build is but Notch tweeted a few days ago:

Fixed the biome code so villages only spawn on flat areas. Nice.

I finally generated a really cool world and found an awesome mountain biome. Built a cool house on the edge overlooking the water and now I find if I use the furnace my game crashes. Basically whenever the furnace entity updates so when it starts cooking and when it stops. Really annoying, wish I could play the real version of the update - don't really want to go back to the old world gen now.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Try this seed:

Experiment 33

This was a spawn in a ice biome. Chances are that biomes might be around the same place as before so...
No snow around. However, this nice river showed up:

mAhcR.png

Hylian7

Houston3000 said:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/kb87s/20000x20000_world_in_18_this_time_image_scaled_10/

it's a 20,000 x 20,000 map of a 1.8 generated world compared to a world generated a few months ago. No, there's no snowy biomes but Jeb or Notch mentioned somewhere they weren't testing them so it's most likely they're just not in the leaked build we have but will be in the final version that releases (hopefully).

I'm not sure how up-to-date the leaked 1.8 build is but Notch tweeted a few days ago:

Fixed the biome code so villages only spawn on flat areas. Nice.

I finally generated a really cool world and found an awesome mountain biome. Built a cool house on the edge overlooking the water and now I find if I use the furnace my game crashes. Basically whenever the furnace entity updates so when it starts cooking and when it stops. Really annoying, wish I could play the real version of the update - don't really want to go back to the old world gen now.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/615356-patch-furnace-crash/

BAM! Enjoy your playable early 1.8!

Houston3000 said:

I love the oceans but was hoping for huge expansive deserts. They look even smaller than the old snowy biomes. Still, bigger than old deserts, so that's nice. U:

EDIT: I do wish there was more than one stronghold per world, though. Would make multiplayer more fun. As it is now, once it's been explored... that's it.

Jasoco

Banned
I still wish the game could have seasons instead. Winter and Summer with Fall and Spring in between. Can't be that hard to do. Snow in winter with rain being replaced with snow. Spring having more common rain with varying intensities. Spring would also color trees more spring-like. Maybe pink leaves. And fall would give all grass and trees more brownish color. Snow would only cover the ground when the first snowfall happens and every time after. Then would melt (Only game placed snow. Player placed stuff would stay so you could still build an igloo or ice castle if you want.) in the spring.

Would be soooo cool, and not that hard. Make a year in the game be like 100 days with 25 days per season. And fast-forwarding in creative mode would change the day increment.

Then have seasonal enemies and have mobs (That aren't player owned) be less frequent during the hibernation months.

Obviously the season would only have to switch over when that night happens. It's not like it would be something that's calculated every second. When the season changes, have the colors of the grass and leaves fade. Seeing as they can now do smooth transitions between day and night in a similar (texture-changing) fashion, it would probably be easy. All four seasonal colors would be in the same image, it would just offset the color selection coordinates the same way it does the darkness level for the new lighting.

You can do it, Notch! Sure, still add snowy biomes if you must, but I'd prefer seasons. Especially as an option. Originally they said something silly like it'd be too hard. But it really wouldn't. Once they figure out how to change the textures, and that's really all you need to do, and they already do it in 1.8, to different texture coordinates for each season, the rest would be easy as incrementing a season variable. They could even have options for locking a season in place. Perpetual fall or winter or summer or spring.

I'd settle for a Mod when Mod support comes out myself. But I'd prefer it be part of the game. Would make it much more realistic and immersive. Especially if you log onto a server after a few days away and suddenly it's winter. If days still take about 20 minutes of real-time each, a year would take 33 1/3 hours without fast-forwarding and straight play. (8.3 hours per season)

Yeah, seasons plus altitude affecting temperature would be the bee's knees. It really shouldn't be that difficult, either. Sure, it might be one of the harder things to do, but given everything that's already IN Minecraft? Eh!

But that said, it seems like his priorities are elsewhere. I have no problem with this, FOR NOW. I guess we'll just have to see.

Hylian7 said:
Sweet, thanks! I'll try it out tomorrow.

Weird thing was it was working perfectly fine before, I played a bit on Saturday and was able to use the furnace. Just started causing issues all of a sudden.
Togglesworlh said:
I love the oceans but was hoping for huge expansive deserts. They look even smaller than the old snowy biomes. Still, bigger than old deserts, so that's nice. U:
On a whole, every biome's larger really - combined with the fact that there's more different biomes in general it's great all around. Once they reintroduce snow, for all we know, those biomes may even be larger than the old ones generated.

Houston3000 said:
On a whole, every biome's larger really - combined with the fact that there's more different biomes in general it's great all around. Once they reintroduce snow, for all we know, those biomes may even be larger than the old ones generated.
Yeah I know but I want bigger. Deserts are huge!

jambo

The 1.8 map looks way better, but I agree about the deserts. We need huge chunks of deserts, not sand spattered around the world.

Hurry up with 2.0 already =P

Ranger X said:
Try this seed:

Experiment 33

No snow but an awesome map.

Tonnes of animals and 2 Endermen!

EDIT: Just found this seed on the MC Forums, looks epic!

Professor layton

Atomski

MJLord said:
So It's monday morning........ WHERE'S MY UPDATE !!! -.-
Honestly based on the prerelease theres a ton of bugs to fix. No way they fixed much over the weekend.

Also if anyone wants to see how crazy big the ocean can be try LOST in caps as the seed. Took me forever to find a decent land mass. Whats weird is on the smaller islands no pigs or cows spawn.. I about starved :(.

Grinchy

Banned
I am strongly assuming that today won't be the full update but we'll see. It seems as though there are very inconsistent experiences people are having in terms of bugs and performance. I really hope it does come out though.

Jasoco

Banned
I just spent over an hour exploring a huge ocean. I was flying around looking at the new awesome world generator and came to an ocean that kept going forever. I flew for 3 minutes solid before I hit land. So I decided I wanted to trace the edge of it to see how big it was. So I followed the shore for a half hour and never found my origin. So I checked Minutor. Turned out I had been following the edge of an ISLAND in the middle of the huge fucking ocean. (It had a village on it too, but it was half in the lake. They really need to fix that. If they haven't already) The ocean which is more than 2000 meters from north to south and filled with small islands and large ones. I still haven't found the outer edge of it. It's so huge! The world folder is now 60MB from exploring it. And at one point my computer was going so slow because all the loaded chunks were eating up the RAM and I had to exit out to free it up. And it took half a minute to save all the chunks each time I pressed Escape.

Wow. This new Biome stuff is amazing.

The seed is "heaven" all lowercase. The same seed I used for my pre-1.8 world, but completely different now. And the ocean starts at south point of 1500 where there's a desert on the edge.

Mik2121

Mik2121 a couple hours earlier said:
It keeps growing!

LlqPm.png
Wow, if it keeps growing at this pace, in a few days the whole area will be full of vines :D

3LT7b.png

Also, vines growing around other places like:

My House!
9POpK.jpg

Another cave entrance behind my house:
Vn7Od.jpg

Insaniac

i can understand vines growing but its kind of annoying cause i want to use them decoratively but they just become uncontrollable

Top Bottom