• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Drazgul

Mik2121 said:
The do... :p

I meant spread-over-flat-surfaces kind of horizontal, on your house pic that would mean the vines would spread from the edges onto that grass where you've placed a torch and eventually reach that mushroom at the left edge of the screen.

But at least they burn nicely. And I like burning stuff in Minecraft.

Qwomo

Does anyone know what this crap is in the 1.8 terrain?

hlbqk.png

Physalis

Neo Member
I don't think my body is ready for the update... haha.

Also, Ark, I was just wondering, when the update hits do I need to be whitelisted again? I tried to sign on last week, but it had said something like I wasn't permitted.

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to seeing you guys in the coming weeks!

Glasswork

Jhriad said:
That ocean is disconcertingly large. It's like 12,000 by 5000. That's a ton of wasted surface space.
I hope they do expand on the oceans someday, I'd like large explorable coral reefs and underwater caves, submerged ships and sunken chests, you could do so much with the ocean!
Unless you mean you want to go back to the tiny puddles in 1.7.....

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jhriad said:
That ocean is disconcertingly large. It's like 12,000 by 5000. That's a ton of wasted surface space.

Yeah, 1.8 definitely has much MUCH larger oceans. I like it to be honest, because the game now has definable continents and actual real islands out and about the oceans. Plus, from what I've seen by exploring a few random maps in creative mode, the ocean floors are themselves very interesting. Lots of variation under the water, deep DEEP oceans and canyons and valleys. The game needs a diving helmet with a diving light now more than ever IMHO.

Speaking of, I love the new Creative Mode! It's a fantastic way to practice and experiment with building new projects and architecture styles. But the best part of creative mode for me is having a fast way to explore new seeds just to see what the land generation will be like. Although I still do prefer exploring in survival mode the old fashioned way, by climbing mountains and standing on tall dirt pillars and tunneling blindly into new areas just to see where you end up. But it's nice to have optional ways of playing Minecraft, and creative mode is a hell of a blast to mess around in. It really is like virtual Lego.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Mengy said:
Yeah, 1.8 definitely has much MUCH larger oceans. I like it to be honest, because the game now has definable continents and actual real islands out and about the oceans. Plus, from what I've seen by exploring a few random maps in creative mode, the ocean floors are themselves very interesting. Lots of variation under the water, deep DEEP oceans and canyons and valleys. The game needs a diving helmet with a diving light now more than ever IMHO.

There's been suggestions of making Lapis Lazuli craftable into some Zora-esque aquatic armor. Definitely should be taken up with how much more important water is. Maybe do that and let Enderman pearls craft into lava-proof armor, give them some use.

Orlandu84

Having generated several single world maps, one thing is clear to me about 1.8: the maps really do encourage you to explore! I found myself spending hours this weekend just exploring and loving every second of it! Maybe it was my short play times (no more than an hour at a time), but it seemed pretty stable to me. Come on, Notch, we need a stable 1.8! I want a NeoCraft Server full of mountains, ravines, forests, and large oceans to build in:)

Ark

Physalis said:
I don't think my body is ready for the update... haha.

Also, Ark, I was just wondering, when the update hits do I need to be whitelisted again? I tried to sign on last week, but it had said something like I wasn't permitted.

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to seeing you guys in the coming weeks!

...There is no whitelist.

You must have typed in the server IP wrong or something.

Jeb has been a busy bunny today, he just released a list of all the fixes he has done today :-

* SSP chunk memory leak
* Mineshaft density (half now)
* Increased stronghold count to 3 per map instead of one
* Furnace tile entity crash
* Crafting bench ghost items
* Vines (and leaves) crash in nether
* Use item animation in SMP (blocking and eating)
* Blocking in SMP
* Sprinting with right-click or sneaking
* Added some blocks to creative mode
* Fixed dropping items
* Nothing can be eaten in creative mode
* Enderman client-side problems
* Chicken and cow drop burned food
* Squids drop exp
* 1.7 worlds should get structures
* Farmlands rejecting melon and pumpkin seeds
* Bonemeal on melons and pumpkins
* Bonemeal on mushroom only works on dirt or grass
* Added item drops for cracked and mossy smooth stone brick
* Adjusted fog strength at low positions
He has said in a tweet that it isn't ready for another release yet which is understandable. However it is good to see some progress being made and who knows it might be up by the end of the week.

Blizzard

Banned
I think Notch is awesome, and hopefully Notch is helping with Minecraft too, but it really seems like Notch picked a good guy when he hired Jeb. It seems like he's keeping up with the tradition of twitter updates and listening to player feedback/suggestions, and hopefully he does not get burned out. :)

Ranger X

Jhriad said:

That's not "wasted space" for me, that's immersion.

Also, for anybody...

What's the deal with 3 stronghold per world? I mean wtf, Minecraft maps are like 6 times the surface of the earth so how much tons of luck will I need to EVER find one??

MJLord

Blizzard said:
I think Notch is awesome, and hopefully Notch is helping with Minecraft too, but it really seems like Notch picked a good guy when he hired Jeb. It seems like he's keeping up with the tradition of twitter updates and listening to player feedback/suggestions, and hopefully he does not get burned out. :)

you said notch like 3 times in two sentences, it messed me up reading it. I thought i had read the same bit twice xD

anywho on a different note, I decided that i will in fact try the 1.8 BETA and now im hooked !

Jeb has just tweeted that there will NOT be an update today. However tomorrow he will release an update to the 1.8 pre release.

It is definitely interesting following Jeb on twitter, if you haven't done so then I advise people too.

I'm holding off on 1.8 till they fix all the bugs, it's killing me to do so, but I'd rather come to it fresh once it's released properly.

Ranger X said:
Also, for anybody...

What's the deal with 3 stronghold per world? I mean wtf, Minecraft maps are like 6 times the surface of the earth so how much tons of luck will I need to EVER find one??
I was wondering this too. What are the odds you'll run into one?!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
You guys said I would have 1.8 today. :(

If I start something on the pre-release can I just continue it in the full release?

Mirk

The pre-release server I have up is still running. I installed the stove fix this morning and rebooted it to clear up some of the lag. Also if you die with a lot of xp it will lag the server to a crawl till it despawns or is picked up again. I am at work atm so if it craps out I wont beable to fix it till later tonight.

Jhriad

Ranger X said:
That's not "wasted space" for me, that's immersion.

Vast empty oceans as large as a major portion of the entire Neocraft map is a waste of space. That much water probably would be fine if it was broken up by smaller continents occasionally. A bit more like top right and less like the bottom left ocean. Can't really say if those unobstructed bodies of water are the norm though since that's the only map I've seen generated to that size so far.

If I weren't thinking with map size limits in mind those oceans would be perfectly fine. As it stands though that's at least 250mb in that bottom left body of water. Top right body of water = perfect. Bottom left = worrisome.

Venfayth

Jhriad said:
Vast empty oceans as large as a major portion of the entire Neocraft map is a waste of space. That much water probably would be fine if it was broken up by smaller continents occasionally. A bit more like top right and less like the bottom left ocean. Can't really say if those unobstructed bodies of water are the norm though since that's the only map I've seen generated to that size so far.

If I weren't thinking with map size limits in mind those oceans would be perfectly fine. As it stands though that's like 350mb at least in that bottom left body of water. Top right body of water = perfect. Bottom left = worrisome.

See ocean -> don't swim through it. Explore the mainland fully, it doesn't look like it randomly will ever just "stop"

Jhriad

Acullis said:
See ocean -> don't swim through it. Explore the mainland fully, it doesn't look like it randomly will ever just "stop"

That's silly. It should be continentS not a single land mass.

Charron said:
There's been suggestions of making Lapis Lazuli craftable into some Zora-esque aquatic armor. Definitely should be taken up with how much more important water is. Maybe do that and let Enderman pearls craft into lava-proof armor, give them some use.
Yea, under water caves and worlds are something I would completely like to see. It just seems like a lot of very nice looking space that's entire wasted. In a game where you are encouraged to explore, the game sticks giant holes of land you can't explore.

Mik2121

Jhriad said:

If I weren't thinking with map size limits in mind those oceans would be perfectly fine. As it stands though that's at least 250mb in that bottom left body of water. Top right body of water = perfect. Bottom left = worrisome.
There are small islands here and there. That area is perfect for user-owned islands and also floating towns (both sea and sky) and underwater towns.

There's always some use for the space available. Nothing to worry, imo.

Mengy

Borgnine said:
You guys said I would have 1.8 today. :(

If I start something on the pre-release can I just continue it in the full release?

Yes, but it will be the same as with any other patch. If there are changes to the biome generation code between the 1.8 pre-release and the 1.8 final-release, then you might get chunk errors or glitches in your map. Like for example, snow biomes are turned off in the 1.8 pre-patch, but I'm sure they will be turned back on for the real 1.8 patch. And Jeb improved the code for town placement already since the 1.8 pre-patch, so that will be different.

I've started a new 1.8 world and I'm playing the shit out of it while hoping that it plays well in the actual 1.8 patch, but if it doesn't then I'll just start another new world again. The changes in 1.8 are awesome and make the game more fun for me, so I'm not waiting.

Plus, I realized something this weekend. I've been playing in the same single player world for over a year now, and I had chests full of all manner of materials, I really didn't need to mine any more or go collecting materials at all. After starting a new map and playing from scratch again for the first time in quite a while, I've realized that I'm having more fun with the game than I have in a long time. And I don't think it's because of the 1.8 changes, they are a part of it to be sure, but I just really enjoy those "new world" moments in Minecraft. Searching for coal for the first night. Your first little hole in the mountain shelter in the beginning. Hunting for iron to make tools. Your first diamond sword. Discovering the area around your spawn point for the first time and wondering just what adventures lie right beneath you. Not having a vault full of everything I need to fall back on adds quite a bit of excitement and adrenaline to the game. This is one of those games where starting over from scratch every now and then is truly the best way to play the game, and no one should ever be afraid to do so. At least IMHO.

Jhriad

Mik2121 said:
There's always some use for the space available. Nothing to worry, imo.

Maybe those will provide enough space for me to finally start and finish one of the major projects I've tried on prior servers and gotten cut off by map restarts/server shutdowns/people building in the middle of my build area.

Mengy

balladofwindfishes said:
Yea, under water caves and worlds are something I would completely like to see. It just seems like a lot of very nice looking space that's entire wasted. In a game where you are encouraged to explore, the game sticks giant holes of land you can't explore.

There have always been caves and such under the water. To be honest, when I was exploring maps this weekend in 1.8 creative mode I did find a large amount of caves open to the sea floor. I went down into a few of them and discovered really cool flooded cave networks and huge underground waterfalls. I'm betting with the large oceans that 1.8 will bring that this will be a much more common sight.

One of our theme projects for 1.8 Neocraft should be to build a huge underwater city of some kind, with tall towers rising up and out of the sea. The oceans will definitely be large enough to give us more than ample room and depth for something like that.

Been flying around Neocraft grabbing all the exposed minerals, wool, and clay I see. Milking this world for all it's worth (and while we still have flying)!

With the new, huge oceans, they would make a new type of boat. A sailboat! Goes super fast, but because of this, it is harder to steer and turn. Useful for exploring huge oceans, useless in rivers.

(Plus make boats easier to steer, please!)

Grinchy

Banned
Mengy said:
After starting a new map and playing from scratch again for the first time in quite a while, I've realized that I'm having more fun with the game than I have in a long time. And I don't think it's because of the 1.8 changes, they are a part of it to be sure, but I just really enjoy those "new world" moments in Minecraft. Searching for coal for the first night. Your first little hole in the mountain shelter in the beginning. Hunting for iron to make tools. Your first diamond sword. Discovering the area around your spawn point for the first time and wondering just what adventures lie right beneath you. Not having a vault full of everything I need to fall back on adds quite a bit of excitement and adrenaline to the game. This is one of those games where starting over from scratch every now and then is truly the best way to play the game, and no one should ever be afraid to do so. At least IMHO.
Yeah this is what I preach all the time. Part of the game, to me, is the survival and collection aspect and starting from nothing. Going from brand new world to vine-covered ruins tower with 8 full chests of stuff is where the fun of the game is for me. Being forced to venture out into that random world you just created, having to leave land markers in the sky to lead you back home later, ect ect. It's all so much more exciting and tense than having all the items you need already with no fear of your surroundings.

The fact that single player is even more fun to play because of 1.8 improvements makes me actually think about going back to mainly just playing single player.

rexor0717

Atomski said:
I like these vast oceans I just wish Notch would add some sort of scuba suit, light source and some underwater mobs.
So true. I think all the mobs it needs are whales and sharks. I want to be terrified of the deep ocean. Right now its too peaceful.

rexor0717 said:
So true. I think all the mobs it needs are whales and sharks. I want to be terrified of the deep ocean. Right now its too peaceful.

Man-o-war. Giant ones with big tentacles that look like the vine texture. Poison you on contact.

Top Bottom