• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

rexor0717

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Man-o-war. Giant ones with big tentacles that look like the vine texture. Poison you on contact.
That'd be good too. It i fall out of my boat, I want to feel the need to desperately scramble towards the land. Haha.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
rexor0717 said:
That'd be good too. It i fall out of my boat, I want to feel the need to desperately scramble towards the land. Haha.

Shit, if you fall out of your boat in a 1.8 ocean then you better either:

1. have some dirt to make a temp island, have a workbench and some wood to make a new boat

or

2. kill yourself and start back at the spawn

because trying to swim across these oceans would be slow and annoying as hell. LOL

Rapstah

On the subject of underwater mobs, Minecraft could use Naga. They would live in villages but underwater and grab the player and take him with themselves to the bottom of the ocean upon aggro.

No, on second thought this would be fucking horrible.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Houston3000 said:
Look at this image http://zoom.it/UcVV. It's the same map but 100% scale so you can zoom in.

There are tons of islands all over the ocean, it's not empty.

See, to me, that is simply AWESOME. My main base on Neocraft will be a castle on a small island somewhere out in the ocean, with a huge continent just within view on the horizon. Can't freakin wait!

Leunam

Rapstah said:
On the subject of underwater mobs, Minecraft could use Naga. They would live in villages but underwater and grab the player and take him with themselves to the bottom of the ocean upon aggro.

No, on second thought this would be fucking horrible.

I'd never go near the ocean. D:

Roche

Mengy said:
See, to me, that is simply AWESOME. My main base on Neocraft will be a castle on a small island somewhere out in the ocean, with a huge continent just within view on the horizon. Can't freakin wait!

Yeah I've got so many plans for New-Neocraft! I seriously need my fix of SMP 1.8, can't log into Mirk's anymore because someone near me died and dropped millions of exp orbs causing me to crash on log in. :(

Xun

Mengy said:
Pretty much what I'm planning as well.

Venfayth

I want to hide my buildings somewhere. They will be in a random hill, you will find a door, you will descend into a giant hollowed-out shell of a mountain. A reward for explorers.

Or at least that's how it works in my head, might be hard to do :D

Jasoco

Banned
First off, Pop, Pop.

Second, vines grow? They keep growing? Holy awesomeness, Batman!

Third. What program do they use to generate an entire world like that 20,000x20,000 thing? I'd be curious to see how big the ocean I found last night really is. From that image, there's a lot of scattered deserts with plains and forests, then ocean above and below for as far as forever with islands scattered all around in them. Will they eventually turn back into land? Not that it matters. That map, even with only 40% covered by land, is still more than enough land to build on. I'm happy with oceans that span forever. I plan on finding one and sailing to each island, building a town and placing a portal on each one with a connecting hub in the Nether to network all my islands together. Maybe. Eventually. It is a lot of work.

Edit: Also...

@jeb_
I said this earlier, but tomorrow I will *at least* upload a new pre-release (actually, @mollstam will be doing the uploading)

And, the stuff Jeb has been working on today:
* SSP chunk memory leak
* Mineshaft density (half now)
* Increased stronghold count to 3 per map instead of one
* Furnace tile entity crash
* Crafting bench ghost items
* Vines (and leaves) crash in nether
* Use item animation in SMP (blocking and eating)
* Blocking in SMP
* Sprinting with right-click or sneaking
* Added some blocks to creative mode
* Fixed dropping items
* Nothing can be eaten in creative mode
* Enderman client-side problems
* Chicken and cow drop burned food
* Squids drop exp
* 1.7 worlds should get structures
* Farmlands rejecting melon and pumpkin seeds
* Bonemeal on melons and pumpkins
* Bonemeal on mushroom only works on dirt or grass
* Added item drops for cracked and mossy smooth stone brick
* Adjusted fog strength at low positions​

Three Strongholds now. (Nice) Less mineshafts. (Thank goodness) Fixed items that are dropped. (Whoo) Can now pick up cracked and mossy stone bricks. (I knew it had to be a bug) More blocks in creative mode. (Good. Some were missing)

Jhriad

Houston3000 said:
Look at this image http://zoom.it/UcVV. It's the same map but 100% scale so you can zoom in.

There are tons of islands all over the ocean, it's not empty.

That does help. Some of those islands look to be larger than I was thinking. Still would like to see a few larger still but it's better.

Venfayth

Ranger X said:
Is this a complete map?
If yes, this is deceiving. This probably means I will never "circle around" one continent.
:(

What do you mean by complete? The limit to Minecraft maps is much more than 20000x20000, which is what that map is. I think that theoretically the continent would end, but I guess I'm not sure.

ArtistDude88 said:
Been flying around Neocraft grabbing all the exposed minerals, wool, and clay I see. Milking this world for all it's worth (and while we still have flying)!

If you put in in chests guess its already gone now
XD

Jhriad

Acullis said:
What do you mean by complete? The limit to Minecraft maps is much more than 20000x20000, which is what that map is. I think that theoretically the continent would end, but I guess I'm not sure.

Effectively complete since I doubt Ark wants the server map to get that large.

Running into a weird issue... Some of my locked chests on the ark went from 'Artistdude88' to 'artistdude88'... And for some reason that un-capitalization has effectively locked me out of my chests D:

mcrae

Acullis said:
I want to hide my buildings somewhere. They will be in a random hill, you will find a door, you will descend into a giant hollowed-out shell of a mountain. A reward for explorers.

would be easier to create a mountain on top, than to hollow one out

ArtistDude88 said:
Running into a weird issue... Some of my locked chests on the ark went from 'Artistdude88' to 'artistdude88'... And for some reason that un-capitalization has effectively locked me out of my chests D:

Hope there wasn't anything important in there
or that would suck

Jasoco

Banned
When the server is updated, will there be any qualms about wandering off to find an ocean and building our own world on one of the thousands of islands out there? Or will that make people mad when it comes time to trim the server and there's a path of a thousand meters out to the water? I'd hate to have my island kingdom erased because someone didn't know there was stuff on it or because it was too far.

The one thing with villages I want to see is to have them be able to grow. Like you could do quests for them and doing enough quests would help the village grow into a bigger city and eventually they would do stuff like build you a house, etc.

Acullis said:

Always wanted to do that myself. I usually do; my first house I ever built on a SMP server was a tiny one-story fortress, but underground was this majestic building. And then the server died. :-\

Orlandu84

Jasoco said:
When the server is updated, will there be any qualms about wandering off to find an ocean and building our own world on one of the thousands of islands out there? Or will that make people mad when it comes time to trim the server and there's a path of a thousand meters out to the water? I'd hate to have my island kingdom erased because someone didn't know there was stuff on it or because it was too far.
I think we need to figure out what the server policy for limits and such. We definitely don't want to waste effort on projects.

Venfayth

ArtistDude88 said:

Can you log in to minecraft as "artistdude88" instead of "Artistdude88" ? Or doesn't that make a difference?

Don't think it'll make a difference, but it's just odd I'm locked out of half my chests. I also noticed a sign is placed on a side I didn't put it on. Has a mod been snooping around? :U

Mirk

ArtistDude88 said:

If you can't get it fixed ark can break into locked chests if needed to get your stuff. Also mods can't snoop in your stuff only an admin could and it would yell out a warning saying it :p

Ark

ArtistDude88 said:

Fixed, and fixed :)

Mirk said:
If you can't get it fixed ark can break into locked chests if needed to get your stuff. Also mods can't snoop in your stuff only an admin could and it would yell out a warning saying it :p

Even I can't snoop in peoples chests, although I do think the plugin has an option to let me do so, however I leave it turned off. AFAIK I'm the only person who can break into anyone's chests though :p

Ranger X

Acullis said:

Anyhow, the continent there is mega-huge. I dunno if I'll have the "exploration will" to circle around a continent in my 1.9 single player world...

Ark

bathala said:
how do I go about joining Neogaf server?

Somewhere on the right-hand side of the screen, has all the page numbers of this thread. Go to page number one, look at post 3, look where it says 'GAF Servers', read where it says that you need to quote the post to see the server IP.

Quote the post to see the server IP, type said server IP into the Minecraft multiplayer server connection IP screen thing, press connect;

?????

Profit.

------------

zboQO.png

About 500 of those 520 PM's are regarding the Minecraft server. The less PM's I get, the happier I am T__T

bathala

Banned
yeah i did that earlier but when i pop in the server address on the add a server.

On the server list it is mark with X communication error

Roche

bathala said:
yeah i did that earlier but when i pop in the server address on the add a server.

On the server list it is mark with X communication error
Neocraft hasn't updated to 1.8 yet.

Jasoco

Banned
I wonder if that map is representative of all world generation. With oceans in northeast and southwest and land expanding from northwest to southeast. Or if eventually there is ocean all around the entire thing.

Guess it depends on how the world decides to make an ocean and turn it back into land. From what I could see, you start out with land. Oceans pop up occasionally, but eventually the game creates all oceans along the edge and when you reach the edge of a biome it decides what to make next, and if it's an ocean it's a chance of being another one. So you end up with it randomly choosing ocean over and over. Would explain why the ocean is huge and why mine had a single huge island but then more and more ocean. Since it seems to choose ocean more often once out in the middle of one, the chances of it only picking land again to make a new continent seems low. So it may never create all land again.

But then again, when would anyone ever need that much surface area? Unless you're recreating Middle Earth or something.

onken

The annoying thing about the "oceans" is that they're only about 10-15 blocks deep. They should get realllllly deep, have proper caves and hills down there. And a viable way to explore underwater, of course. Scuba gear or whatever.

onken said:
The annoying thing about the "oceans" is that they're only about 10-15 blocks deep. They should get realllllly deep, have proper caves and hills down there. And a viable way to explore underwater, of course. Scuba gear or whatever.

Having only played a bit of 1.8 so far, the oceans I have seen are quite deep.

Game definately needs scuba gear and some sort of lantern you can carry around with you that provides light as you walk/swim. Underwater especially is too dark for exploration since you can't just toss torches everywhere.

Xux

Damn, I'm really getting punished for keeping diamond gems on me more than a couple minutes. Lost, like, half of the ones I've found 'cause of enemies appearing and pushing me into lava. :(

Ranger X

Xux said:
Damn, I'm really getting punished for keeping diamond gems on me more than a couple minutes. Lost, like, half of the ones I've found 'cause of enemies appearing and pushing me into lava. :(

hard lessons makes us stronger. :p

celebi23

So, I was using Mirk's server & it was working fine for about 5-10 minutes & then started to get very slow. Hopefully it's fixed in the Pre-Release update that's coming tomorrow. Overall though, I really am enjoying the new stuff in 1.8. Can't wait until the "official release".

Top Bottom