• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
DurielBlack said:
Having only played a bit of 1.8 so far, the oceans I have seen are quite deep.

Game definately needs scuba gear and some sort of lantern you can carry around with you that provides light as you walk/swim. Underwater especially is too dark for exploration since you can't just toss torches everywhere.
Taking a look at the worlds I generated for 1.8 and before, (Seed: "heaven" for both versions) I can hapily say that the lowest ocean in my pre-1.8 world only goes down to block 52 while the 1.8 world goes down to block 38. That's a 14 meter depth change.

Oceans DEFINITELY need more stuff. And we need the ability to carry lights with us so when we go under water we can see stuff without placing lightstone blocks or jack-o-lanterns.

L00P said:
Man, where is the official release?! I thought it was today
The pre-release was to catch big bugs. And it did. It'll be a little while longer before an official release. Imagine if they released THIS as the final. Would be a big mistake and would break so much stuff for everyone.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger X said:
I wonder what happened to sky land?

It doesn't sound like it would be in 1.9 ....

I don't remember where I heard it, so I could be wrong, but I believe Notch said there was no point adding another dimension until they made the first one (Nether) worthwhile.

Edit: Found the quote:

@jeb_
Jens Bergensten
@siperdellyeer Notch has said he wants to work more on the sky dimension once the nether is interesting

Grinchy

Banned
I like the idea of huge oceans as long as it doesn't decide to make you spawn in one. Imagine a 5 minute boat ride with buoys along the way for guidance leading up to your island fortress in the middle of an ocean. That would be so awesome.

I'm just really hoping they patch the pre-release and let us catch more shit for them.

Verdre said:
I don't remember where I heard it, so I could be wrong, but I believe Notch said there was no point adding another dimension until they made the first one (Nether) worthwhile.
On the one hand, I like that he realizes the nether is kind of boring after the first "oooh" moment. On the other, I don't give a shit, because I can make it NOT boring by building things. to that end, add like fifty different dimensions all at once, and then expand upon them individually!

bathala

Banned
Verdre said:
wait wah?

I was looking forward to this

Jasoco

Banned
Grinchy said:
I like the idea of huge oceans as long as it doesn't decide to make you spawn in one. Imagine a 5 minute boat ride with buoys along the way for guidance leading up to your island fortress in the middle of an ocean. That would be so awesome.

I'm just really hoping they patch the pre-release and let us catch more shit for them.
This gets me wishing they would implement Wind Waker style sailboats.

Or basically just sailboats that move by themselves in the direction you are aiming them. But do not explode when they bump into something. I fucking hate that. Current boats are so frustrating to control. And now that we have rivers and oceans, we need better boats.

Wool

Hey Ark could you make me a citizen on the server again? I was gone all summer with no computer. I supposed it's a great way to prevent griefing, but I can't even place a block in my own building.

upandaway

Verdre said:

Edit: Found the quote:
Oh wow. It's starting to look less and less like Minecraft will be released by the due date.

Unless he plans on massively expanding it even after release, to the point where the release really doesn't mean much.

celebi23

I told myself that I wouldn't really start a new map until the final version of 1.8 came out but, I kinda caved :p Will the 1.8 Pre-Release map work with the updated pre-release & then the official 1.8?

mcrae

rdelaney said:
Hey Ark could you make me a citizen on the server again? I was gone all summer with no computer. I supposed it's a great way to prevent griefing, but I can't even place a block in my own building.

me too!

commissar

upandaway said:
Oh wow. It's starting to look less and less like Minecraft will be released by the due date.

Unless he plans on massively expanding it even after release, to the point where the release really doesn't mean much.
I always thought it was basically an excuse for a release party?

celebi23

Maxrpg said:
After hours upon hours, I finally finished my MineCraft Parody of "Last Friday Night", made entirely for Patch 1.8, the Adventure Update!

http://blip.tv/thenerdyone/the-nerd...ody-of-katy-perry-s-last-friday-night-5549342

^--- donates money to me, I worked really hard on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EsIn-RjJy4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Youtube Version

Hope you guys enjoy!

Interesting video to say the least. Definitely an improvement over the original song. Just found 5 sets of 64 pieces of clay. I guess I'm building a brick house now. Dammit & I really didn't want to get too into the Pre-Release version.

Atomski

Maxrpg said:
After hours upon hours, I finally finished my MineCraft Parody of "Last Friday Night", made entirely for Patch 1.8, the Adventure Update!

http://blip.tv/thenerdyone/the-nerd...ody-of-katy-perry-s-last-friday-night-5549342

^--- donates money to me, I worked really hard on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EsIn-RjJy4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Youtube Version

Hope you guys enjoy!

BeavisAndButthead.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
Jasoco said:
This gets me wishing they would implement Wind Waker style sailboats.

Or basically just sailboats that move by themselves in the direction you are aiming them. But do not explode when they bump into something. I fucking hate that. Current boats are so frustrating to control. And now that we have rivers and oceans, we need better boats.
Definitely. The boat has needed an upgrade for a while, but I agree that it's especially true now. It's also really frustrating how tricky it can be to get back in one from the water. I feel like they should "anchor" as soon as you get out of them.

Drazgul

@Fissioninferno
is the tundra/glacier biome coming back before the official 1.8 release? :/

@jeb_
@Fissioninferno No, it's pushed to 1.9

So no snow at all in 1.8 - plus according to his earlier tweets, in 1.9 you'll need to start another new map to get all the new features it brings.

I guess i'll stay with 1.7.3 all the way until 1.9 comes, after all.

Grinchy

Banned
That blows but hopefully it means the tundra biomes will be really sweet. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see new mobs for it too (just a guess).

I'll stick with 1.8 for a while and do a new world with 1.9, I guess. I love the snow biomes.

spuit*11

Banned
We can just use 1.8 on Neocraft as a dress rehearsal for 1.9. It seems unlikely they'll completely change biome and terrain generation after that.

Ranger X

spuit*11 said:
We can just use 1.8 on Neocraft as a dress rehearsal for 1.9. It seems unlikely they'll completely change biome and terrain generation after that.

It has been said that we would make a new world in 1.8 but walls would limit exploration until 1.9

celebi23 said:
I told myself that I wouldn't really start a new map until the final version of 1.8 came out but, I kinda caved :p Will the 1.8 Pre-Release map work with the updated pre-release & then the official 1.8?

Yeah, I made that mistake last night .. "Ooh, I'll just create a world and have a quick look around and check out some of the new stuff".

The next thing I knew it was 5am.

celebi23

Barberetti said:
Yeah, I made that mistake last night .. "Ooh, I'll just create a world and have a quick look around and check out some of the new stuff".

The next thing I knew it was 5am.

Yep, same thing happened to me. It's now 7:30 am though :/ It really is Minecrack :p On the plus side, I mined a crap ton of clay & I'm going to build an epic house out of bricks. Taking forever to turn the clay into bricks though.

MJLord

One of the best things to do for me is to copy the PCGamer article a month or two back and try and live minecraft as a one life = one world, makes living and fighting so much more terrifying and so much more rewarding

bengraven

Ranger X said:
It has been said that we would make a new world in 1.8 but walls would limit exploration until 1.9

*rises from his grave, 2000 miles from home*

This is what I was thinking about when someone sent me a tweet in the middle of a cornfield that 1.8 had leaked.

We put up a big wall or series of towers along one side of the map and forbid building over there. If anyone does, we warn them and then cut it. Or just cut it. I'm no dick.

Then when 1.9 comes the "other half" of our world comes into play.

Me, when I get home, I think I'm just going to keep reseeding until I see a village and/or fortress and stick around that area until 1.9 comes out. I would do that the first few months I played MC: start a sp world, build a house (then castle), and I would always find a massive cave near that house and just spend the next month making my castle bigger and rarely walking very far away. That changed recently though, but I might need to readjust my mindset.

I wish you could choose where villages were (maybe plant a "village seed" with a hoe) and that they were themed: I want a sandstone village in the desert or a little bayou village in the swamp and maybe a beach resort on the ocean (now that we have actual "oceans", there's zero reason for not having PALM TREES).

*returns to his grave until tomorrow*

Edit: *jumps back up for a quick gasp*

Has anyone seen a mushroom biome or at least a giant mushroom? How do they look and what do they drop?

*ulp*

celebi23 said:
Yep, same thing happened to me. It's now 7:30 am though :/ It really is Minecrack :p On the plus side, I mined a crap ton of clay & I'm going to build an epic house out of bricks. Taking forever to turn the clay into bricks though.

Heh, no building for me. I just picked a direction and went for it. Found a few abandoned villages so far, but no ruins. The oceans are definitely bigger, which means that I can finally build my underwater base properly when the final release of the game comes out. Well, unless Notch changes it again.

MJLord said:
One of the best things to do for me is to copy the PCGamer article a month or two back and try and live minecraft as a one life = one world, makes living and fighting so much more terrifying and so much more rewarding

If I was playing like that, my game would have ended about 30 minutes ago. I got caught out by the smoother transition between day and night, so I legged it to a nearby cliff face and hurriedly mined into it, and promptly fell through a hole in the floor into a cavern, which took a few hearts of health off. Before I had a chance to slap a torch down, I heard the familiar "shhhhhhhhh" .. and then "KABOOM!".

Dead :lol

MJLord

Barberetti said:
If I was playing like that, my game would have ended about 30 minutes ago. I got caught out by the smoother transition between day and night, so I legged it to a nearby cliff face and hurriedly mined into it, and promptly fell through a hole in the floor into a cavern, which took a few hearts of health off. Before I had a chance to slap a torch down, I heard the familiar "shhhhhhhhh" .. and then "KABOOM!".

Dead :lol

AHA ! I went for a midnight hunt after surviving being stranded on a desert island to spawn on It was quite literally the middle of nowhere, I almost starved boating to a continent, lived for 3 more days before my small dirt home was invaded by a creeper, you know the rest xD

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
@Fissioninferno
is the tundra/glacier biome coming back before the official 1.8 release? :/

@jeb_
@Fissioninferno No, it's pushed to 1.9

Drazgul said:
So no snow at all in 1.8 - plus according to his earlier tweets, in 1.9 you'll need to start another new map to get all the new features it brings.

I guess i'll stay with 1.7.3 all the way until 1.9 comes, after all.

Well, that really sucks. I was hoping that the release version of 1.8 would put snow biomes back in. And I wonder if Jeb means that the new 1.9 features will just require new chunk generation, or will they require a new 1.9 map from scratch?

At this point I may just wait to seriously start my new single player world until 1.9. I'll keep dabbling in my "Mengy's World" seed just for fun til then. Maybe I'll just play around with designs and architecture in creative mode until 1.9 hits...

EVIL

The transition from day to night is now so smooth, before you know it you look up and tadaa, its night and your surrounded by mobs. Torches should have some sort of flickering effect to them and maybe be a bit less bright with the new lighting.

Mengy

New 1.8 pre-release version 2 is out now. I don't know what all is updated yet, but it's available for download. And I have to work for the rest of the day, lol!

http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft.jar

Oh, and Notch is going to nerf vine growth somewhat:

@notch: Vines will spread infinitely down now, but they won't spread in other directions if there are more than four other vine blocks nearby (twitter.com)

I like this, vines are taking over my entire mountain in my new world. And by entire mountain, I mean the ENTIRE huge ass mountain. It's kind of funny but also a bit overkill.

Yeahhhhhhhhh Jeb fixed the ovens, I can now cook all the damn cobble I mined from my quarry. So far this 2nd "pre-release" seems so much better, great to see them get it out as soon as they can rather than wait till it is done.

Leunam

As I recall, someone mentioned downloading 64-bit java if you're using a 64-bit OS. I had the same problem but this seemed to fix it.

Yeah for some stupid reason the Java website chooses 32-bit Java for you even if you're on a 64-bit system, so you have to go and specifically download the 64-bit version. It has fixed the memory problems for me.

Jasoco

Banned
1.9? Dammit. Now I don't want to start a new world until then. Unless they make it so already generated chunks that are supposed to have it will automatically get it. In which case, I really hope all those cool evergreen forests we have now aren't eventually going to be snowy. I kinda don't even want snow. I want seasons.

EVIL

I personally don't really miss snow at the moment, but it might limit themed city's for the server, so I hope 1.9 wont take to frigging long.

Jasoco

Banned
You know, I don't care about it either. I only hate when there's partially generated biomes being finished and different because of a change between versions.

But whatever. I prefer to build in sunny areas.

Can't wait to try the new pre-release after work.

Mengy

Treefingers said:
Nope snow will be back in 1.9 according to Jeb.

I wonder why they turned off snow biomes to begin with? Or rather, I wonder what they are changing in snow biomes that they don't have the new version ready yet? I don't remember reading anything about them being changed...

Mengy said:
New 1.8 pre-release version 2 is out now. I don't know what all is updated yet, but it's available for download. And I have to work for the rest of the day, lol!

http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft.jar

Oh, and Notch is going to nerf vine growth somewhat:

I like this, vines are taking over my entire mountain in my new world. And by entire mountain, I mean the ENTIRE huge ass mountain. It's kind of funny but also a bit overkill.

"Vines" renamed to "Kudzu" confirmed.

ksimm

OK so using the new pre-release the first map I seed spawns me on a big island with no trees, walked for many in-game miles and still no trees lol.

Pennybags

ksimm said:
OK so using the new pre-release the first map I seed spawns me on a big island with no trees, walked for many in-game miles and still no trees lol.

Spawned me next to a lava pool with at least 30 pigs hanging around.

Top Bottom