• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

celebi23

Mengy said:
New 1.8 pre-release version 2 is out now. I don't know what all is updated yet, but it's available for download. And I have to work for the rest of the day, lol!

http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft.jar

Oh, and Notch is going to nerf vine growth somewhat:

I like this, vines are taking over my entire mountain in my new world. And by entire mountain, I mean the ENTIRE huge ass mountain. It's kind of funny but also a bit overkill.
Yay! An update!

Atomski

Barberetti said:
Oh wow, the lid on the containers opens and closes. Nice touch.
I hate how it makes a door noise. First time I opened one I about shat myself thinking someone opened the door behind me :(.

Drazgul

Atomski said:
I hate how it makes a door noise. First time I opened one I about shat myself thinking someone opened the door behind me :(.

Endermen making zombie sounds is far more annoying if you ask me. :p

Mirk

Okay my server is running pre-release 2 now :D Althou it does seem to be using more load the bugs seem to be fixed.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Drazgul said:
Endermen making zombie sounds is far more annoying if you ask me. :p

Yeah, that threw me for a loop the first time I figured it out! I'm sure I read that they have a whole bunch of new sounds for the patch, including unique endermen sounds, new skeleton sounds (supposed to be more terrifying?), boat sounds, minecart sounds, and a few others that C148 got done. I also hope they give chests a different sound than doors. Don't know if they are for 1.8 or 1.9 though.

Yeah I just picked up a couple of Ender Pearls and didn't have a clue what they were, so I looked them up in the wiki ... then looked up the Endermen. Looks like this new update is gonna be fun :lol

Mengy

Zomba13 said:
I think endermen should just be silent. That or make like staticy/interference like sounds.

I think they should make little quiet "tika tika" sounds like the aliens from the movie District 9, but when they see you and start shaking they should wail and scream like mad banshees until they either kill you or you kill them.

kennah

Mengy said:
I think they should make little quiet "tika tika" sounds like the aliens from the movie District 9, but when they see you and start shaking they should wail and scream like mad banshees until they either kill you or you kill them.
I'd uninstall.

I've had actual nightmares about the Weeping Angels and Silence from Doctor Who.

Atomski

They need to make a noise when they are agroed. Like a noise when they port towards you. Ive managed to agro one and had not a slight idea where he was to begin with, I just all a sudden was being attacked from behind.

Ferrio

Banned
Atomski said:
They need to make a noise when they are agroed. Like a noise when they port towards you. Ive managed to agro one and had not a slight idea where he was to begin with, I just all a sudden was being attacked from behind.

They should make the nightcrawler teleport sound.

Mengy

Atomski said:

I've seen quite a few deep down in abandoned mines and ravines. I like to just watch them out of the corner of my eye but let them go about their block moving business. So far I've found single endermen underground but up on the surface they always seem to be in groups. I watched a bunch of them working during a daytime thunderstorm under a large overhang. One of them wandered out too far and was killed by the rainfall. Another took a log out of a tree leaving a gap in the trunk, lol. I've been out wandering the land in my new single player world and a few times I've come across a weird looking hillside or area that had blocks missing, and wondered if endermen had messed it up that way. They definitely leave signs of their presence.

Grinchy

Banned
lol I'm always finding trees with like 1 or 2 blocks missing and I know it wasn't me. I totally forgot that it could be the endermen. It's creepy to play single player and see things that weren't manipulated by you.

I've only ever seen Endermen by themselves, never in groups. That being said, I've only ever seen three of them. I'm playing in a rather mountainous area though so maybe they're less inclined to spawn all over the side of the cliffs.

As a matter of fact I had one pop up in one of my screenshots I posted earlier. He was getting in the way so I eventually killed him though.

I like to think he and his brothers built that huge hole in the mountain-side.

Grinchy

Banned
It's the same way for me, Houston. I've seen like 3 total and they were all alone.

In fact, in my grassy/plains area, I can look across the entire landscape and not see any mobs at all. This is because there are so many naturally occurring "holes" that all the mobs fall into them. I will have like 10 sheep in one hole, or 12 cows in another. I bet the endermen are spawning and falling into holes like that.

bengraven

So I decided to install 1.8 on this family computer I found.

Spawns were all boring for about 10 times, then spawned on the side of a massive mountain. Climbed as high as I could, looking for villages and saw that there was a little cavern at the foot of the mount and there was a river going all the way around in a way that with minimal effort (or if this was my PC and I had the time) could be a moat.

I went down into this little cavern and noticed that the floor was missing. It was a sheer drop down into the depths. I lit a torch on the side of the chasm (love the new lighting) and I see nothing.

Then as I'm scanning, my cursor moves over a pair of green eyes.

I run away and for a few seconds I'm thinking "man, you let the hype SCARE you! hahah---"

and the Ender appeared, carrying a dirt block and making zombie moans. Luckily I was backing into the moat and between my punches, the water, and the sun he died quickly.

*sigh* I want to get home soon to start my real game.

Grinchy

Banned
It's still a WIP but this is my "ruined tower" so far. It sits in the middle of a huge forest that is half regular, half swamp. I'm still waiting for a lot of the vines to grow, especially on the tree at the top of the tower, but I'm bored so here are some screens.

The vines even grow on chests.

This is actually a little less than half of the surrounding forest. It's huge! When you're walking on the ground, all you can see are the trees, and every now and then you get a glimpse of the tower in the distance.

Ashodin

I just wanna thank you guys who have viewed my video so far in this thread, I really appreciate it.

The progression of 1.8 is pretty jarring compared to how it was supposed to be just released a day or two ago.

Jasoco

Banned
I saw four Endermen at once last night while flying around exploring. So I looked at all of them and led them on a chase for a while.

celebi23

So, I was digging down to 13.6 to try & find some diamonds & where should I drop into? A stronghold/ abandoned mine thing :p I found 2 melon seeds :D Currently have a nice melon farm going. Loving this updated pre-release build.

Did they change they way you place blocks? I used to be able to hold down right mouse button and run backwards to plant a long line of blocks. Now it plants one and I have to keep clicking to place more.

Mirk

Hey guys I think that map for my server is fucked. :/ I am getting all kinds of errors in the log. So I am going to remake with v2 Sorry If anyone of you had made stuff you wanted to continue. :( I can but the world file up for d/l if any of you want thou.

Jasoco

Banned
What about the "no repeat left click" where I have to click the mouse button over and over to swing my sword continuously which is a pain in the ass on a trackpad. That better be a bug too.

Blizzard

Banned
Jasoco said:
What about the "no repeat left click" where I have to click the mouse button over and over to swing my sword continuously which is a pain in the ass on a trackpad. That better be a bug too.
Please tell me you can at least still hold the mouse to punch trees. If I have to click 30,000 times to mine walls I may never mine again.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:

yeah that ^^^

This is actually game-breaking for me.

My very humble mountain-top abode from the previous screenshots

Just outside the house, looking out from the back door at the desert village

Qwomo

Jasoco said:
Almost definitely not a bug. Just another dumb "feature".

Jasoco

Banned
Blizzard said:
Please tell me you can at least still hold the mouse to punch trees. If I have to click 30,000 times to mine walls I may never mine again.
It repeats fine when a block is in front of you, but not a Mob. Not animals, not enemies.
Ranger X said:
yeah that ^^^

This is actually game-breaking for me.
Yes, it is. It makes combat almost impossible when I need to run away and fight at the same time.
Qwomo said:
Almost definitely not a bug. Just another dumb "feature".
If it is, I will fly over to Sweden and confront Jens and Marcus about this stupid "feature" myself. Either that or enough people will cry about it to make them change it back. There's no reason to change this functionality.

On a lighter note, lololol, I just noticed that the torches flicker! Holy shit that's awesome. I was just thinking a few days ago about the new torch lighting and how cool it would be if they did. Now I've finally gone into a cave and started doing some actual mining and noticed it very subtle. Makes me have hope about possibly having torch light follow you around in real-time. I want to be able to carry a glowing block/item with me when under water and have it light the way so I can actually see under water.

Edit: Hey, Houston. Why didn't you use Glass Panes for the windows? They look so much better.

Jasoco said:
Edit: Hey, Houston. Why didn't you use Glass Panes for the windows? They look so much better.
Ah, very cool... inset windows and I walled in part of my balcony with them, it's like a little solarium overlooking the ocean.

Andvary

Houston3000 said:
My very humble mountain-top abode from the previous screenshots
[

Just outside the house, looking out from the back door at the desert village
[[/URL]

That looks amazing, what texture pack is that? =)

bathala

Banned
mojang seed is awesome
outside (with a pool of lava on the left corner)
2lu57kl.jpg

on the otherside of the mountain (a waterfall on top of a mountain at the very distant)
2e2geb9.jpg

celebi23

Here's some shots of my new brick house (been living in a wood one for a bit). Been working on the outside and thought I should show it off.

1530583.png

rlgbup.png

Mirk

Okay Server is up and has been stable all night :D

Also I updated my hacked up texture pack if any of you would like to give it a try!

Texture Pack Get!

It is a mix of GeroDoko and Johnsmith with alot of tweaks and my own textures.

Also to use the texture pack you need to patch your Minecraft jar file with
THIS!

Pics!

2011-09-14_02.03.47.png

2011-09-14_02.03.58.png

2011-09-14_02.06.23.png

2011-09-14_02.07.07.png

Mengy

Jasoco said:

You know, oddly enough, this doesn't bother me one bit. I have no problem at all clicking for each sword swing or for each block placement. And I'm a little confused as to why it's such a bit deal? I mean is it really so hard to click the button a few times other than to just hold it down? I'm just not getting the angst over this...?

Top Bottom