• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Flim Flam

Neo Member
has anyone figured out how to eat food?

im at 100% hunger and losing health quickly, but I cant figure out how to eat anything!

I have tried a raw pork chop, a cooked pork chop and raw steak. Id make bread but I dont have enough time to wait for the wheat to grow!

Xun

Flim Flam said:
has anyone figured out how to eat food?

im at 100% hunger and losing health quickly, but I cant figure out how to eat anything!

I have tried a raw pork chop, a cooked pork chop and raw steak. Id make bread but I dont have enough time to wait for the wheat to grow!
Hold down right-click.

Yep food only fills up the food bar. The health bar is now regenerative, if you have a full food bar then it will regenerate your health by about half a heart every couple of seconds.

EVIL

ffs, wanted to download the official update, but minecraft.net is offline for me. its online for my wife who sits next to me and is on the same router/connection. no idea why.

kodt

Banned
EVIL said:
ffs, wanted to download the official update, but minecraft.net is offline for me. its online for my wife who sits next to me and is on the same router/connection. no idea why.

Seems really slow for me, so you might just have to try again in a minute.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Flim Flam said:
Thanks, that did it!

Is food only used to relieve hunger now? How do I restore health?

At full hunger bar (or even a few ticks down maybe?) your health will slowly regenerate on its own. You can't quickly fill up the health bar anymore. I kind of like it actually, I have no fear of falling damage from average heights now because as long as I'm not hungry my health will just regenerate on its own. And it seems to have made combat more fun for me so far. Plus food stacks now, finally!!!

Flim Flam

Neo Member
heh, im not sure if this is new to 1.8 or if its just my texture pack, but I love how blocks adjacent to torches have a yellowish hue now! Small little detail, but appreciated.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Flim Flam said:
heh, im not sure if this is new to 1.8 or if its just my texture pack, but I love how blocks adjacent to torches have a yellowish hue now! Small little detail, but appreciated.

I think I saw something in the patch notes about changes to lighting temperatures like that, based on the light source (since they were making all those other lighting engine changes anyway).

Flim Flam

Neo Member
found my first village!

Small cluster of three buildings and a well. The well is pretty deep, 2x2 and maybe 16 blocks deep. One library type building lined with chairs and bookshelves, a house structure with a table and an empty chest and a small 2x3 shed. The house has a small fenced enclosure perfect for a wheat garden.

Flim Flam said:
The well is pretty deep, 2x2 and maybe 16 blocks deep.

Earlier I was flying around in creative mode and saw a mine entrance leading directly below a village. I was exploring the mine when I saw cobblestone and I thought "A dungeon!" I dug into it and water came pouring out. "A flooded dungeon!" Then I realized I could see sunlight above. "A flooded open-air dungeon!"

When I surfaced I realized I had dug into the village well.

Currently working on my mega excavation site in my single player survival game. God, I've burnt through so many shovels (I'm new, so I'm still unfamiliar with how to make both TNT and where to get the materials for it).

kodt

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Currently working on my mega excavation site in my single player survival game. God, I've burnt through so many shovels (I'm new, so I'm still unfamiliar with how to make both TNT and where to get the materials for it).

You just need gunpoweder and sand. You get gunpoweder from killing creepers.

TNT will destroy most useful ore's though, so unless you don't care about that I would avoid using it much.

AiTM

Banned
DUDE WTF...Kept not letting me login. So I went to single player then tried to click mulitplayer to log in, and it said "user not premium". Did someone hack my account? I paid over a year ago.

kodt said:
You just need gunpoweder and sand. You get gunpoweder from killing creepers.

TNT will destroy most useful ore's though, so unless you don't care about that I would avoid using it much.

Yeah, I'm saving up a mix of Cobblestone & Wood for various buildings/structures I'm wanting to build.

blamite

bathala said:
i noticed this during the preview when I took another's xp when that person died
yeah, it definitely seems to have a big effect after just a couple levels. It's prety awesome, I haven't had to eat in a while. There's no place that shows you your current level though, right? Or am I missing something.

It took several attempts for me to download the 1.8 release. Just keep trying guys.

I've been exploring my single-player map I started with 1.8 pre-release, loving the new changes. My map seed (Yellowstone) is awesome, it starts you off inside a village with several buildings, a well, and some ready-made wheat farms. Unfortunately I had to explore quite a bit to find a single tree (which I cut down and replanted the seeds closer to the village).

The spawn area is nice and flat (which will be awesome for projects) and surrounded by oceans and gigantic mountains. You have to watch your step because there are several ravines that are extremely long and deep.

Not far from the village along the shore I found a small cave entrance. It's led me down into a epic series of caves and abandoned mines, I have found several chests of goodies, and 4-5 monster spawners. I've probably spent 15 hours or more exploring and theres dozens of shafts I have yet to explore.

After getting lost a bunch in the mines I developed a exploration technique that has solved both my navigation and wood shortage problems. I started carrying axes with me and I clear out all the wooden supports. This way I always know which shafts I haven't explored yet. I also now have hundreds of wooden planks.

Abandoned Mines have been a good source of coal and iron, not so good on much of anything else. Chests are nice and I have gotten a few diamonds, melon seeds, etc. from them. Game definately needs more stuff as rewards.

Atomski

AiTM said:
DUDE WTF...Kept not letting me login. So I went to single player then tried to click mulitplayer to log in, and it said "user not premium". Did someone hack my account? I paid over a year ago.
I am guessing you are new? Minecraft login is offline right now.. it tends to crash now and then. If you can't login you are not able to join online games. You are allowed play the single player though.

kennah

BobJustBob said:
Earlier I was flying around in creative mode and saw a mine entrance leading directly below a village. I was exploring the mine when I saw cobblestone and I thought "A dungeon!" I dug into it and water came pouring out. "A flooded dungeon!" Then I realized I could see sunlight above. "A flooded open-air dungeon!"

When I surfaced I realized I had dug into the village well.
I hopped in a well in survival mode, but didn't have any blocks in my inventory and couldn't consistently punch enough to get one from anywhere.

Had to drown.

Toppot

kennah said:
I hopped in a well in survival mode, but didn't have any blocks in my inventory and couldn't consistently punch enough to get one from anywhere.

Had to drown.
Congratulations! You win a Minecraft Darwin Award! =D
=P

Though I'll be sure not to jump in wells now, or just click enough to get out =P

AiTM

Banned
Atomski said:
I am guessing you are new? Minecraft login is offline right now.. it tends to crash now and then. If you can't login you are not able to join online games. You are allowed play the single player though.

I redownloaded the client software, and I can log in fine now.

Jasoco

Banned
So, did they disable time fast-forwarding in Creative mode? It didn't work in the second pre-release either and still doesn't. I also don't have time to check, but is the hold-left-click-to-swing-rapidly "bug" fixed?

Jasoco said:
So, did they disable time fast-forwarding in Creative mode? It didn't work in the second pre-release either and still doesn't. I also don't have time to check, but is the hold-left-click-to-swing-rapidly "bug" fixed?

Time forwarding seems to be disabled in Survival as well, I guess it was just a feature for testing.

Only had a quick play around but performance for me seems to have taken a hit with 1.8, noticably more choppy (draw distance on normal).

I started a couple of new worlds, both times I couldn't find any coal, so in my second world I had to make a dirt tower till sunrise :lol

It's probably been around a month or so since I played, but I've totally forgotten all the crafting recipes, I had to look up how to make a shovel!

Ark

Jhriad said:
Can't seem to connect to Neocraft. Still have work yet to do and stuff to move to the ark. This is disheartening. :(

If you updated, it wont work. The server is still running 1.7.3.

Apparently the CraftBukkit team already has a recommended build released, so hopefully it wont be long until we can update :)

DiatribeEQ said:
You've already failed, haven't you?

Not yet! I've caught myself starting to make a mineshaft down to the bedrock a few times though, and had to slap myself and remind myself that I'm just checking out the changes :lol

spuit*11

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
You've already failed, haven't you?
I know I have. Here's a nice shot from Mirk's temporary server.

2011-09-14_19.08.41r4md.png

NOPE
2011-09-14_20.52.48c1x6.png

1fps town. Population: Me
2011-09-13_15.13.40b21d.png

I made a few shots of Arkyoto and Mengy's Ark a week or so ago.
2011-09-06_15.46.45d6f3.jpg

2011-09-07_15.27.03n6by.jpg

2011-09-07_15.26.5781f9.jpg

2011-09-07_15.26.29q0yk.jpg

A bit dark and not the best shots but oh well.

THE FATHER MEETS THE SON
2011-09-06_21.24.27u4kr.jpg

(That's Roche178 on the left and akwinters on the right)

Im playing right now at a friend's server online, but another friend cant enter becuase minecraft is down.

How is then that I can still play and the game didnt kick me out?
Is that normal?

Top Bottom