• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

AutoGibbon

Neo Member
Red Liquorice said:
Only had a quick play around but performance for me seems to have taken a hit with 1.8, noticably more choppy (draw distance on normal).

I started a couple of new worlds, both times I couldn't find any coal, so in my second world I had to make a dirt tower till sunrise :lol

It's probably been around a month or so since I played, but I've totally forgotten all the crafting recipes, I had to look up how to make a shovel!

Have you tried playing with the performance setting? I have a pretty bad desktop, so it used to play like a stuttering old man for me. Now I am able to set it to MAX FPS, and minecraft is so much more enjoyable.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So... release highly anticipated update, then immediately take down server and website. Really?

edit: websites up, grabbed from there. :)

Blizzard

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
So... Does anyone else have terrible FPS when playing now? It's especially bad for me at night.
I felt like performance generally got worse with each update I tried throughout the history of Minecraft. I hope it improves some day but I'm kinda afraid it might not ever, especially if they keep adding features and NPCs and monsters. ;_; I have an e8400 and 5850.

Jasoco

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Im playing right now at a friend's server online, but another friend cant enter becuase minecraft is down.

How is then that I can still play and the game didnt kick me out?
Is that normal?
Because it only needs MC.net to be up to check credentials. Just make sure you don't disconnect because you won't be able to get back on.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
rexor0717 said:
So in 1.8 proper, NPCs or no NPCs? If not, I'll be disappointed, because villages seem very incomplete otherwise.

No NPCs.

Though I actually haven't found a village yet. Whole new world just for 1.8 and I haven't found villages, strongholds, or mineshafts. Saw plenty of Endermen, many during a thunderstorm so they pretty much spawned and immediately died XD

Probably because I'm playing it very Wind Waker right now, have a large supply of boats and I'm just going from island to island. My "home base" is right by a nice swamp/bayou with a lava pit in the middle, there's a really cool mountain island nearby with big holes and deep depressions. Really enjoying the new terrain generation, looks awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
No NPC's until 1.9. Hopefully they're smart enough to populate the already existent villages. I can't wait to see how they're handled too. I want to be able to recruit them, make them my own and move them into my own built cities and towns. Would be nice if the game was smart enough to recognize a room with a door and a bed = a house so mark it as a viable home for an NPC. Not sure how good their AI will be though.

No snow yet either. Would be neat if the biomes were already in the game marked as snowy ones and when 1.9 comes out, all areas that require snow will automagically get it. (I really hope all the evergreen forests aren't supposed to be snowy. Because I really love those forests. Much better than the other kind of woods.)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
georgc said:
WOW

2011-09-14_114701_stitch.jpg

What seed is this?

Tawpgun

I got an i5 processor. Integrated graphics but Minecraft seems like a processor type game and not GFX....

Still, the slow downs are atrocious at times. Had to turn a bunch of settings down.

Jasoco said:
No NPC's until 1.9. Hopefully they're smart enough to populate the already existent villages. I can't wait to see how they're handled too. I want to be able to recruit them, make them my own and move them into my own built cities and towns. Would be nice if the game was smart enough to recognize a room with a door and a bed = a house so mark it as a viable home for an NPC. Not sure how good their AI will be though.

No snow yet either. Would be neat if the biomes were already in the game marked as snowy ones and when 1.9 comes out, all areas that require snow will automagically get it. (I really hope all the evergreen forests aren't supposed to be snowy. Because I really love those forests. Much better than the other kind of woods.)
First village I find I am walling up and building a castle within that wall and amking all the invisible (for now) NPCs my loyal subjects!

Although one worry I have with NPCs is what is to stop them from opening the door to my house/castle and leaving it open for a mob to walk through at night if I am down in my mine?

Adnor

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I got an i5 processor. Integrated graphics but Minecraft seems like a processor type game and not GFX....

Still, the slow downs are atrocious at times. Had to turn a bunch of settings down.

Try to install the last version of java, but the 64bit version, not 32.

Jhriad

Ark said:
If you updated, it wont work. The server is still running 1.7.3.

Apparently the CraftBukkit team already has a recommended build released, so hopefully it wont be long until we can update :)

Oh I'm not updated. :)

Just wasn't able to get into the server. Hopefully I'll get in tonight or tomorrow sometime so I can finish my move.

For those struggling to log in this is what I did.

Delete Minecraft.exe -> delete the Appdata/.Minecraft folder -> redownload minecraft.exe -> login & update-> profit
3AQmK.gif

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, has anyone else mined down around the bedrock level since 1.8? I did tonight, and was surprised to see this:

2011-09-14_234947.png

It would seem that now, the closer you get to bedrock, the less you can see around you. A very thick black fog of sorts starts to appear at about level 20 from what I can tell, and gets more and more thick the closer you get to the bottom, until it gets VERY thick at bedrock. Also their appear to be sparkles of sorts coming up from the ground down around bedrock level. Torches don't pierce it, I don't know if sunlight or glowstone do yet.

It's kind of cool, but bases at bedrock will now be fog infested it seems. Not sure how I feel about that, me being an underground kind of player and all..

Jhriad

Just logged on to start moving all my stuff to the ark. In the middle of moving I went to the bathroom and when I came back I was treated to an 'End of Stream' disconnection from the server. Log back in and my inventory had duped to what I had prior to transferring stuff and erasing all the stuff I had in my inventory that I'd been moving to the ark. Spent so much time accumulating that crap and it's gone in a poof of magic. *sigh* Guess I'll go read a book or something.

Ranger X

Anybody encountered some silver fish while digging?

EDIT:

shiiit, "Neocraft" seed spawns us near some really awesome mountain biome. Neo-Neocraft will be awesome!!

Jhriad said:
Just logged on to start moving all my stuff to the ark. In the middle of moving I went to the bathroom and when I came back I was treated to an 'End of Stream' disconnection from the server. Log back in and my inventory had duped to what I had prior to transferring stuff and erasing all the stuff I had in my inventory that I'd been moving to the ark. Spent so much time accumulating that crap and it's gone in a poof of magic. *sigh* Guess I'll go read a book or something.

That really sucks man :(
If you need anything, holla.

PS: So lonely on the server :(

Ugh, I realized I was running low on arrows, and wanted to make some wool carpeting.

After 20 + hours into 1.8 on my single player world, I just now found out that cows, sheep, pigs, and chickens aren't respawning. Anyone else having this problem? Now I can't get some necessary materials.

celebi23

DurielBlack said:
Ugh, I realized I was running low on arrows, and wanted to make some wool carpeting.

After 20 + hours into 1.8 on my single player world, I just now found out that cows, sheep, pigs, and chickens aren't respawning. Anyone else having this problem? Now I can't get some necessary materials.
Yep, I'm getting the same problem. Looks like I'm going to have to take a long trip to find more food. Luckily, I've got plenty of rotten flesh when I run out of the other meats.

Jasoco

Banned
It's the beginnings of persistent animals and breeding. If you kill them, they will not return. But supposedly they will stay where you put them.

Edit: This is interesting. I decided to fence in a Pig. Then I flew off about 500 meters and came back. When I returned, there were three in the cage. Now, there was a small ledge next to the fence so it is possible that two more could have wandered into it, but I want to think maybe they multiply if you have them confined. If so, that would be awesome.

The nice thing is that mountains are now their own biomes. It'll be awesome if they create a volcano biome that is a mountain with a lava pool and pillar of lava through the center. Maybe they could make it occasionally erupt or something.

I still say snow should only appear at the north and south parts of the world starting at about 2000-3000 meters in either direction. And have the middle be mostly desert along the center 0 area.

Edit 2: Also, maybe it's just me, but the "tweak" Notch seems to have made to Endermen is that they now have purple particles following them and purple eyes visible in the dark. Soooo fucking awesome. I can't wait to battle them in Survival mode tomorrow.

Edit 3: Doesn't eating rotten flesh do something to you? I tried it a few days ago and my food meter turned greenish. I bet something is going to happen in the future.

Ranger X

Anybody noticed that water level is now one block higher?

In my single player world, everywhere that I pass from an old chunk to a 1.8 generated one, water is one block higher.

celebi23

So, I went hunting for more food & I got lost :/ Can't find my way back to my house. The compass is lying to me. North is supposed to be your spawn point, right? Well, about every 10 minutes or so, the compass would just reverse (N->S, etc). Looks like i'm going to have to wait for the Single Player Commands to be updated for 1.8. Or, is there another simple mod to warp back to the spawn point?

Ranger X

Sarcasm said:
I haven't play MC in awhile, what is exactly new? I have gathered there ar villages and more animals now.

The biggest thing right now is that there's a complete update of the terrain generator. Now seeds looks nothing like before and there's new biomes too.

EDIT:

wow, lava can flow underswater now. I just encountered lava falling into water and it doesn't become cobblestone!!

upandaway

Jasoco said:
The nice thing is that mountains are now their own biomes. It'll be awesome if they create a volcano biome that is a mountain with a lava pool and pillar of lava through the center. Maybe they could make it occasionally erupt or something.
That is the greatest thing.

Jasoco

Banned
Ranger X said:
Anybody noticed that water level is now one block higher?

In my single player world, everywhere that I pass from an old chunk to a 1.8 generated one, water is one block higher.
Yes. The oceans are also up to 14 blocks deeper. They now go down to block 38 instead of 52.

And there is no longer a limit of 5 Squid per world at one time. I've seen upwards of 10 at once in the ocean.

Oh, and I was wrong about them multiplying. They did indeed wander into the cage from above. But they're still persistent and generate in larger quantities.

Now all we need is A) a way to move them into areas without pushing and B) a way for them to have babies. I think 1.9 should have 1) male and female animals with different textures to tell them apart and 2) baby animals that grow up into adults. Possibly with a neat particle effect when they transition from child to adult.

Also more animal types. It's been said, but the only new friendly animal mob we've gotten since before Halloween last year was squid and wolves! We need horses. Bears. Birds. The skies need animals. More than one bird. And I don't mean chickens. Ducks and Geese maybe. Anything! But don't go overboard.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Yes. The oceans are also up to 14 blocks deeper. They now go down to block 38 instead of 52.

And there is no longer a limit of 5 Squid per world at one time. I've seen upwards of 10 at once in the ocean.

Oh, and I was wrong about them multiplying. They did indeed wander into the cage from above. But they're still persistent and generate in larger quantities.

Now all we need is A) a way to move them into areas without pushing and B) a way for them to have babies. I think 1.9 should have 1) male and female animals with different textures to tell them apart and 2) baby animals that grow up into adults. Possibly with a neat particle effect when they transition from child to adult.

Also more animal types. It's been said, but the only new friendly animal mob we've gotten since before Halloween last year was squid and wolves! We need horses. Bears. Birds. The skies need animals. More than one bird. And I don't mean chickens. Ducks and Geese maybe. Anything! But don't go overboard.

1.9 is supposed to bring breeding. We'll be able to farm animals.

Top Bottom