• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

hahaha lol, we can't "cheat" anymore by pressing F3 in order to see where mobs are.

spelunking difficulty + 2 !!

:p

EDIT:

Also, there's alot more Iron and alot more clay.

Blizzard

Banned
Jasoco said:
Yes. The oceans are also up to 14 blocks deeper. They now go down to block 38 instead of 52.

And there is no longer a limit of 5 Squid per world at one time. I've seen upwards of 10 at once in the ocean.

Oh, and I was wrong about them multiplying. They did indeed wander into the cage from above. But they're still persistent and generate in larger quantities.

Now all we need is A) a way to move them into areas without pushing and B) a way for them to have babies. I think 1.9 should have 1) male and female animals with different textures to tell them apart and 2) baby animals that grow up into adults. Possibly with a neat particle effect when they transition from child to adult.

Also more animal types. It's been said, but the only new friendly animal mob we've gotten since before Halloween last year was squid and wolves! We need horses. Bears. Birds. The skies need animals. More than one bird. And I don't mean chickens. Ducks and Geese maybe. Anything! But don't go overboard.
Stuff like this is going to kill performance even more, I bet. :p Simulating a world full of breeding chickens isn't free, you know!

Grinchy

Banned
Mengy said:
It's kind of cool, but bases at bedrock will now be fog infested it seems. Not sure how I feel about that, me being an underground kind of player and all..
You just made me realize I've never done this. One of my first big builds in Terraria was a big underground base. This will be my next project for sure.

Grinchy

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
So I was looking through old Minecraft patches and I noticed this...

Is.... Is this still in the game?? Have I been oblivious to this for 2 years?
WTF

Why didn't I know this?? I think 3 iron bars are an ok sacrifice for 100 smelts. *edit: meant to edit this into the last post, not double post.

Takuya

Banned
jediyoshi said:
Instead of crafting items directly into your inventory, shift click on craft would complete the maximum amount of an item and then store it into your inventory. Effectively draining your resource, even though you probably didn't mean to craft the maximum amount possible.

Prior, it used to craft the minimum amount and store it to your inventory each time you shift clicked on craft.

Orlandu84

ArtistDude88 said:
So I was looking through old Minecraft patches and I noticed this...

Is.... Is this still in the game?? Have I been oblivious to this for 2 years?
Wow, I had completely forgotten about that. All of a sudden this large pool of Lava look a lot more useful than it did yesterday:
L5CQD.jpg

This pool of lava, and many others, were causing me no end of grief yesterday since they were located directly in the way of my shaft mine. My trusted bucket of water came to my rescue:)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Grinchy said:
WTF

Why didn't I know this?? I think 3 iron bars are an ok sacrifice for 100 smelts. *edit: meant to edit this into the last post, not double post.

I don't. Coal is plentiful and easy to get and only used for fuel and torches, while iron is more rare and much more useful as tools or tracks or weapons or armor or pistons, and other things. If the bucket was reusable and not burned up in the furnace then yeah, this would be awesome, but as is I never do it. Maybe if I ever get a chest full of buckets I'd do it, but even then, probably not. I'd much rather burn coal all day and night.

Iron is precious to me, my own, my precious....

Razorskin

----- ------
ArtistDude88 said:
I just tried it... And it is still in game! (1.7) :u

Edit: I should note the furnace eats your bucket when you do this.

I remember doing this when I saw a guy on youtube do it. Though I don't struggle finding coal.

Mengy said:
So, has anyone else mined down around the bedrock level since 1.8? I did tonight, and was surprised to see this:

[img ]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/Mengy/Minecraft_1_8_Pre-release/2011-09-14_234947.png[/img ]

It would seem that now, the closer you get to bedrock, the less you can see around you. A very thick black fog of sorts starts to appear at about level 20 from what I can tell, and gets more and more thick the closer you get to the bottom, until it gets VERY thick at bedrock. Also their appear to be sparkles of sorts coming up from the ground down around bedrock level. Torches don't pierce it, I don't know if sunlight or glowstone do yet.

It's kind of cool, but bases at bedrock will now be fog infested it seems. Not sure how I feel about that, me being an underground kind of player and all..

Yeah I noticed this last night when I made a quick shaft down in order to get some gold and redstone. I'd mined into a stronghold about halfway down (which was awesome by the way), and when I came back out and went to climb up and drop my loot off, I actually panicked a bit. I could only see about 15 blocks up! I thought Notch might have implemented that idea he had about making the torches burn out after a while, but after climbing a bit the "fog" eased off.

I'm not sure how I feel about it either to be honest, as I'm an underground person as well.

bengraven

Have only gotten one three building village by using "mojang" to seed. No others.

I'm torn, I really want one at spawn but I also found a really great forest/mountain biome in this latest seed.

Oh well, my determination to not settle until there's a decent village near spawn continues.

bengraven

Drewsky said:
Anyone else getting a little choppier gameplay since the update?

I'm getting a framerate of less than 1fps during the supposed "smooth transitions" between night and day.

Also I apparently can no longer play with "far" setting on.

Ramma2

If you guys aren't producing charcoal with a tree farm, then I don't even know what to think of you. 5 rows of trees with torches and a water source and the trees grow faster than I can harvest them.

1 Block of wood in a furnace = 1 charcoal. Take that 1 charcoal and smelt 8 blocks of wood, then take that to smelt a full stack of wood.

Charcoal ere'where. I don't even mine coal anymore.

Mengy

Barberetti said:
Yeah I noticed this last night when I made a quick shaft down in order to get some gold and redstone. I'd mined into a stronghold about halfway down (which was awesome by the way), and when I came back out and went to climb up and drop my loot off, I actually panicked a bit. I could only see about 15 blocks up! I thought Notch might have implemented that idea he had about making the torches burn out after a while, but after climbing a bit the "fog" eased off.

I'm not sure how I feel about it either to be honest, as I'm an underground person as well.

Yep, when I first looked up from my bedrock mineshaft I nearly shit bricks at the darkness above me. Then as I climbed out and the fog lifted I realized what was going on. I will admit, I like this idea much more than his original idea of torches burning out and needing to be relit. I'd much rather deal with fog at low levels than torches that don't last. I'll just have to make my huge deep expansive mining bases a few levels higher than in the past I suppose.

Mengy

Ramma2 said:
If you guys aren't producing charcoal with a tree farm, then I don't even know what to think of you. 5 rows of trees with torches and a water source and the trees grow faster than I can harvest them.

1 Block of wood in a furnace = 1 charcoal. Take that 1 charcoal and smelt 8 blocks of wood, then take that to smelt a full stack of wood.

Charcoal ere'where. I don't even mine coal anymore.

I mine everything. I leave no ore behind. Because I'm OCD like that. And I have a pickaxe. lol

Chuckpebble

Drewsky said:
Anyone else getting a little choppier gameplay since the update?

Yep, and after a while it built up to a huge pile of lag, to the point where I couldn't control the game.

Meanwhile, I was exploring the most incredible underground ravine while playing around with creative mode. Use the seed "Hyrule" and see if you can locate this. Ridiculous amounts of resources down here.

Here's the entrance. Made the map at spawn.
2011-09-15_08.09.17.png

This is to show about where the water column in the next image is.
2011-09-15_08.18.50.png

haven't tried swimming up it yet.
2011-09-15_08.18.52.png

2011-09-15_08.21.17.png

Toppot

bengraven said:
Also I apparently can no longer play with "far" setting on.
Same =[ have to make do with normal now =[ Far makes the cpu jump like crazy and gives an inconsistent frame rate. Hope its a bug or the code can be optimized, though it might just be improvements need more power that I don't have.

Venfayth

Mengy said:
I mine everything. I leave no ore behind. Because I'm OCD like that. And I have a pickaxe. lol

When I first started playing I only mined what I was looking for, but now I'm like you, I gather absolutely EVERYTHING. Mushrooms? Mine. Sheep? Sheared. Random deposit of coal? Depleted. I like having a storehouse full of shit that I may not ever need, but if I do, it'll be there.

Ty4on

Orlandu84 said:
This pool of lava, and many others, were causing me no end of grief yesterday since they were located directly in the way of my shaft mine. My trusted bucket of water came to my rescue:)
It's probably because I love saving everything way too much (have 10+ iron in my new 1.8 save and is still using stone pickaxes), but I have no idea why so many detroy so much lava with water. How hard is it to make dirt/cobblestone roads over it or walking around it? You get a ton of light to keep mobs away and if you need lava it's right there.

I know lava isn't super rare, but if Notch a bucket of lava the highest currency in villages or something like that it would be nice to have a huge pool of lava below your house :p

Blizzard

Banned
Especially if you ever wanted to make obsidian, lava seems important to me. I would probably go the charcoal route. I don't really like using iron, coal, and lava because once you use them, they're gone and they will never regenerate in your world, though I guess you can continue to grow it and transport lava from 50 miles away or something. I'm glad a renewable energy source was added.

It is sad to see a bunch of people reporting worse performance. =( I always used the far graphics setting. Is there not a compromise between new features and decent performance? It sounds like they made the lighting engine look nicer, but if that's at a significant performance cost which is only going to be made worse by more complex level generation and monster behavior...

Lack of respawning animals is getting on my nerves. If 1.9 and breeding are going to be months away I hope they release a patch to set it back to normal.

Venfayth

Blizzard said:
Especially if you ever wanted to make obsidian, lava seems important to me. I would probably go the charcoal route. I don't really like using iron, coal, and lava because once you use them, they're gone and they will never regenerate in your world, though I guess you can continue to grow it and transport lava from 50 miles away or something. I'm glad a renewable energy source was added.

It is sad to see a bunch of people reporting worse performance. =( I always used the far graphics setting. Is there not a compromise between new features and decent performance? It sounds like they made the lighting engine look nicer, but if that's at a significant performance cost which is only going to be made worse by more complex level generation and monster behavior...

Lava is basically infinite because of the Nether :p

Blizzard

Banned
Acullis said:
Lava is basically infinite because of the Nether :p
I actually forgot about that. =P I basically haven't played much since the Nether came out, but I think I checked my performance whenever the soft lighting was added.

bengraven

Um, villages are still fucked up. Can't he just put a 4 block deep cobble foundation below the buildings and connect them, to ensure villages are fairly uniform and there isn't a doorway three blocks up in the air? Or at least create a new gravel block that doesn't fall to use as pathways?

Notch tweeted that Jens is working on Nether stuff!

He must be excited to start the skyworld. But he needs to fix some issues in 1.8 first dammit.

bengraven

Maxrpg said:
yeeeeep.

So awesome.

Oh god, now I want a huge one.

And I found a seed on MinecraftSeeds that gives me TWO villages near each other, but they are both in really boring areas and the geography is fucked up around them. I might just accept that and go with that seed.

bengraven said:
Oh god, now I want a huge one.

And I found a seed on MinecraftSeeds that gives me TWO villages near each other, but they are both in really boring areas and the geography is fucked up around them. I might just accept that and go with that seed.

"Yellowstone" puts you in a village if that's what you are looking for.

I really hope NPCs spawn in existing villages for 1.9

Mengy

DurielBlack said:
Lack of respawning animals is getting on my nerves. If 1.9 and breeding are going to be months away I hope they release a patch to set it back to normal.

Wait, animals don't respawn AT ALL in 1.8? I thought if they died they spawn back eventually? Shit, I've been killing cows and pigs and sheep like crazy, I wonder if I'm in for a very lonely spawn area now...

bengraven

DurielBlack said:
"Yellowstone" puts you in a village if that's what you are looking for.

I really hope NPCs spawn in existing villages for 1.9

I JUST created a world and it's perfect, but thanks. :)

After hours of trying, I find myself on the edge of a redwood forest, with some tall, awesome looking mountains to my right. I walk forward a few steps and find two circle lakes put together in the middle of a fairly nice sized plain that edges a desert in the far distance. I already named them "Twin Crater Lake". Then between the desert and on the edge of the plain I find a massive village, just a 40 second walk from spawn!

I'm thinking I'm lucky because all I wanted was a village, desert, plain and mountain and I have them all. I really wanted a swamp though. Sure enough, on the far corner of my village is the beginning of a huge swamp.

My world feels like Morrowind and I'm happy now. :) This is "home".

Turned a village building into a chicken farm. I probably wont kill any more cows or pigs now. (the clucking :O ) I hate seeing that sheep I sheared 10 days ago still running around with no fur on :/

cwReU.jpg

celebi23

celebi23 said:
So, I went hunting for more food & I got lost :/ Can't find my way back to my house. The compass is lying to me. North is supposed to be your spawn point, right? Well, about every 10 minutes or so, the compass would just reverse (N->S, etc). Looks like i'm going to have to wait for the Single Player Commands to be updated for 1.8. Or, is there another simple mod to warp back to the spawn point?

Quoting myself. Anyone else have this problem?

celebi23 said:
Quoting myself. Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, it looks like compasses are broken. Mine pointed me back to my original spawn location rather than the bed where I last slept. Although I haven't died yet in this world... maybe it's beds that are broken and they're not setting the new spawn point?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
AngryChinchilla said:
Turned a village building into a chicken farm. I probably wont kill any more cows or pigs now. (the clucking :O ) I hate seeing that sheep I sheared 10 days ago still running around with no fur on :/

QUOTE]How did you get em in there

Jhriad

ArtistDude88 said:
That really sucks man :(
If you need anything, holla.

Yeah, it deleted all my mossy cobble and some other stuff. Joy. Guess I've gotta go search around for more.

Gotta take an inventory to try to figure out what was deleted other than my mossy cobble so that I can try to get some of it back before the server is updated.

celebi23

BobJustBob said:
Yeah, it looks like compasses are broken. Mine pointed me back to my original spawn location rather than the bed where I last slept. Although I haven't died yet in this world... maybe it's beds that are broken and they're not setting the new spawn point?
I've died & I spawn right next to my bed so, it looks like the compasses are definitely broken.

bengraven

For Mount Jar Jar:

Seed: -5767063485668274487

Go to the top of the cathedral for the best view. Then turn around from Jar Jar and and you'll see the twin crater lakes/ponds. There's a lot of little ponds on the plains.

This whole world reminds me of the Black Hills of South Dakota...or Blackwater from Red Dead Redemption.

ZZMitch

Ranger X said:
I can't stand any fisheye so "normal" is ok for me. There is a bit of fisheye-ing but nothing that stands out so it's bareable.

Yeah Quake Pro looks cool sometimes but is a little out of place in Minecraft.

Also for brightness settings I like staying on Moody.

And what does the "pick block" control do?

Top Bottom