• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

celebi23

I found my way home! No thanks to my broken compass :p I created a giant tower out of wool & using MCMap Live, I saw how close to my house I actually was. I also saw how close a village is to my house.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Borgnine said:
I switched to 90 and love it.

Also I like the new lighting a lot. Morning feels more.... morningy.

Same.

Exactly the same FOV I use to play TF2 and Deus Ex.

spirity

On compasses:

It was my understanding that they changed during a patch since the game originally launched. Minecraft has two spawn points: the first is the one you stand in when first launching a new world/map. The second one gets set wherever you sleep in a bed.

Compasses will always point to your original spawn point, regardless of where you sleep. However, if you die you will respawn by your bed. So, sleeping in a bed will not change the compass to point at that location: it will always point to where you first appeared in that particular world/map.

Unless this was changed with 1.8, that's my understanding of how the spawns and compasses work.

Toppot

spirity said:
On compasses:

It was my understanding that they changed during a patch since the game originally launched. Minecraft has two spawn points: the first is the one you stand in when first launching a new world/map. The second one gets set wherever you sleep in a bed.

Compasses will always point to your original spawn point, regardless of where you sleep. However, if you die you will respawn by your bed. So, sleeping in a bed will not change the compass to point at that location: it will always point to where you first appeared in that particular world/map.

Unless this was changed with 1.8, that's my understanding of how the spawns and compasses work.
You are correct sir!

Is why it's important to know how to get from spawn to your house/bed. and why I re-spawn a new world over and over till I get one I like the spawn area of. Or use a map to know where spawn and your house are (assuming they are close enough together)

Orgun

So I was cutting down a tree, turned around and saw this

edit: Uh it seems to have copied both my screens into the screenshot lol. Oh well, enjoy Vinny and Dave

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Orgun said:

edit: Uh it seems to have copied both my screens into the screenshot lol. Oh well, enjoy Vinny and Dave

Adding Vinny to anything makes it cooler, good work.

Orgun said:

Thank you for that picture. It gave me a reason to say the word "Crevasse" in my head.

Orgun

So Endermen huh, those are a thing. Terrifying. :D

Are they supposed to get their own sounds soon? Just thought one that sounded like a zombie.

spirity said:
On compasses:

That's horrible. Compasses are useless then.

Complex Shadow said:
How did you get em in there? Can you pick up animals?

Nope, it is all about the eggs. Collect eggs and throw them in an enclosed space. 1/8 of every egg throw will spawn a chicken. Every 7 minutes the chickens lay an egg. Collect those eggs and continue to throw them in the room. You will get exponential results.

Also, keep the spawn room far enough away from your house that you wont hear the CLUCKCLUCKCLUCKCLUCKCLUCKCLUCK, but keep it close enough that the chunk is in your view so that they continue to lay eggs.

Blizzard

Banned
BobJustBob said:
That's horrible. Compasses are useless then.
Well, once upon a time beds didn't exist, so compasses were very useful to find your spawn again (unless you wanted to use the debug overlay that has your world coordinates, I guess). You always know cardinal directions anyway, when you're aboveground...I guess an underground directional compass would be useful.

Someone just needs to add a pokegadget or whatever that universal thing is called in the pokemon games, that features a backlighted pokemon detector, a treasure detector, three varieties of compasses, and a watch.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
AngryChinchilla said:
Nope, it is all about the eggs. Collect eggs and throw them in an enclosed space. 1/8 of every egg throw will spawn a chicken. Every 7 minutes the chickens lay an egg. Collect those eggs and continue to throw them in the room. You will get exponential results.

Do you have to pick up the egg and throw it down for it to hatch? You can't just leave the eggs they lay on the ground and have them hatch?

I wonder if I could set up an evil factory farm type operation where I put one egg in a one block empty space so that when the chicken is born they can't move around.

If I can't do that I'll try making pen with 50 chickens and then put a wolf in it.

Orgun

So, Minecraft 1.8.1 Day 1 - Found a 'Crevasse' that looked interesting, decided to setup base nearby. Built the start of my fortress of love (doom is cliche) and have explored a little bit, but not too far.

I also had my first encounter with an Enderman, kept teleporting behind me and dismantling my pillars!

Some not very exciting clips :)

I like the pink fog
3RsV0.png

AngryChinchilla said:

Also, keep the spawn room far enough away from your house that you wont hear the CLUCKCLUCKCLUCKCLUCKCLUCKCLUCK, but keep it close enough that the chunk is in your view so that they continue to lay eggs.

Oh god, I never thought of that. Thank you so much. I have piles of eggs. This will solve my lack of feathers issues.

Now if only there was a way to make cows and sheep multiply.

celebi23

AngryChinchilla said:

Thanks for this! I can now turn my old house into a chicken coop.

kodt

Banned
Are the cave systems larger in this version?

I have been working through the most complex cave system I have seen to date. Lots of branching paths, huge chasms, shafts, each with more paths. I have found an abandoned mine shaft, a ravine, and a zombie spawner and each direction I go leads to more openings.

Pancakes

Orgun said:

Are they supposed to get their own sounds soon? Just thought one that sounded like a zombie.

I actually aggro'd one from far away and ran into my house thinking I was completely safe. But then the bastard pulls a block out from my house and stared at me with that terrifying face.

It was hilariously terrifying.

blamite

Orgun said:

I only ran into one so far, and it was in a cave. I think it was attacking me since it's eyes turned pink, but it kept running into a nearby waterfall until it died (apparently water hurts them?). I was kind of hoping to get to see it in action, but at least I got a pearl out of the encounter. :p

blamite said:
I only ran into one so far, and it was in a cave. I think it was attacking me since it's eyes turned pink, but it kept running into a nearby waterfall until it died (apparently water hurts them?). I was kind of hoping to get to see it in action, but at least I got a pearl out of the encounter. :p

I just charge into them swinging away with my sword. Seems to work.

Pancakes

Speaking of charging.

Hitting an enemy while you're sprinting seems to knock them back farther. Does it actually do more damage to the mob?

kodt said:
Are the cave systems larger in this version?

I have been working through the most complex cave system I have seen to date. Lots of branching paths, huge chasms, shafts, each with more paths. I have found an abandoned mine shaft, a ravine, and a zombie spawner and each direction I go leads to more openings.
I remember either Notch or Jeb mentioned that there's less dead ends now, so they probably seem bigger since more paths lead somewhere. Plus the new ravines obviously make the underground system much grander on scale.

Ashodin

Pancakes said:
Speaking of charging.

Hitting an enemy while you're sprinting seems to knock them back farther. Does it actually do more damage to the mob?
It does if you make them land far off a cliff.

-SO. SATISFYING.-

bengraven

I think we need to use my Jar Jar mountain for spawn. Have a more talented person like 9Fingers do the ears and maybe put a big word bubble above it.

I thought of something that sucks though: I really doubt NPCs will populate 1.8 villages. So I'm probably going to have to create ANOTHER world when 1.9 comes out. :/

Vlad

Maxrpg said:
It does if you make them land far off a cliff.

-SO. SATISFYING.-

It is, unless you're trying to chase down what they drop.

And count me among the people whose performance gets worse and worse every update. I used to be able to always play the game on the Far view setting, then a few patches back, that would cause me to blackscreen (now it just completely crashes Java). Now it seems that, even when the map isn't generating new chunks, it still chugs every so often.

bengraven

Who was saying they haven't seen many Endermen?

I'm standing on a tower every night looking out over my slowly strengthening village and I usually get about 2-3 Endermen out in the dark all night long. In fact, this very night I'm playing now, there are four out in the dark and two IN THE VILLAGE.

bengraven said:
Who was saying they haven't seen many Endermen?

I'm standing on a tower every night looking out over my slowly strengthening village and I usually get about 2-3 Endermen out in the dark all night long. In fact, this very night I'm playing now, there are four out in the dark and two IN THE VILLAGE.
I've seen Endermen all over the place. Still no villages or abandoned mines.

I don't have to create a new world for 1.8 right? I just need to move out from the already generated area, correct?

I don't know if I can run through another early game of resource gathering. I usually lose interest.

bengraven

Interesting. Jens says on Twitter that when they add the bosses, they will create some kind of "stronghold indicator" to basically lead you to the very rare strongholds.

Also, speaking of Endermen, I'm terrified when they open their mouth after you "see" them. Though it's silent now, imagine the horrible sounds that will come out when the noise is finally added. *shivers*

Ashodin

Vlad said:
It is, unless you're trying to chase down what they drop.

And count me among the people whose performance gets worse and worse every update. I used to be able to always play the game on the Far view setting, then a few patches back, that would cause me to blackscreen (now it just completely crashes Java). Now it seems that, even when the map isn't generating new chunks, it still chugs every so often.
Unless you elite like me and when they die they drop their stuff right at your feet. BAM!

Blizzard

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJp_5lKiXI

Imagine hearing this if you weren't paying attention and moused over an Enderman somewhere... And you didn't know where it was coming from...
I think that would suit a predator-like monster, say a dragon, more than the enderman. The Thing sound works well because it would creep you out even if you didn't immediately get pounced by some fanged monster.

Giard

Small question...

If I remove chunks from an existing world (generated in 1.7), will villages and all that appear when I explore them again?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Giard said:
Small question...

If I remove chunks from an existing world (generated in 1.7), will villages and all that appear when I explore them again?

Yes, but there will be an awkward transition from the 1.7 chunks and the 1.8 chunks. Sheer cliffs and the water appears to be 1 block higher now.

Top Bottom