• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

crowphoenix said:
I remember in the early days a lot of people saying they wanted the enemies to actually attack their buildings. I think the Endermen destroying stuff is awesome, but then I don't mind if my place gets trashed on occasion.
Exactly.

I think a better solution than nerfing Endermen would be to provide a solution to the problem IN THE GAME. Some kind of ward that prevents them from moving blocks in an area. I dunno.

Now they're just going to be boring (depending on how big the nerf is).

Blizzard

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Exactly.

I think a better solution than nerfing Endermen would be to provide a solution to the problem IN THE GAME. Some kind of ward that prevents them from moving blocks in an area. I dunno.
As already described, in THEORY, lights would prevent from spawning, fences and iron bars (?) can't be picked up, and moats of lava and water kill them. A big water moat around a fort should protect it unless you look at an enderman so they can teleport to you, right?

mcrae

Charron said:
Only on Hard. Easy/Medium, you keep losing health to a certain point, but you can't die just from hunger, you have to take damage too.

i think medium is .5 or 1 hearts, easy is 5

Blizzard said:
As already described, in THEORY, lights would prevent from spawning, fences and iron bars (?) can't be picked up, and moats of lava and water kill them. A big water moat around a fort should protect it unless you look at an enderman so they can teleport to you, right?
Lights only prevent them from spawning, AFAIK. I'm talking about something that would actively repel them.

A moat is actually a good idea, but doesn't always work, aesthetics-wise. Might not mesh well with whatever you're building.

low-G

The enderman should be made into a 'scary' but weak monster. It should go invisible a lot of the time and be really hard to detect, but able to pop up and hit you for small damage.

Drazgul

Treefingers said:
Not really, all we know is he is nerfing them. Probably removing their ability to pick up certain blocks which is good imo.

Remove that, and how are they any different from zombies? The teleporting is a joke.

crowphoenix said:
I remember in the early days a lot of people saying they wanted the enemies to actually attack their buildings. I think the Endermen destroying stuff is awesome, but then I don't mind if my place gets trashed on occasion.

Ya I really want this....megabeasts. Some random major threat in the game. Godzilla/dragon could work....earthquake/tidal wave would be more realistic.

JVIDICAN

Okay, I think I'm done with the church. The two side rooms are unfinished, but I have no reference for them, nor do I feel like touching them. :p
LyXLt.png

9X4ZF.jpg

g65SK.png

Save File for those interested:
http://www.2shared.com/file/DWDtF-UN/church.html

kodt

Banned
crowphoenix said:

I thought it would be cool if there was a PVP mode where you had time to build a base/fort and gather resources to make weapons. Then PVP would start and you could damage the opponents base, but it would have to be more difficult to destroy blocks (maybe 5x stronger). Otherwise 10 guys with diamond picks could just rip apart the entire base in no time. Walls would be useless. Or a few blocks of TNT.

fredrancour said:
Goddamn that's really disappointing about endermen. I want survival mode to actually fuck with me. If I wanted creative I'd play creative.
That is pretty much the thing, isn't it? Creative mode is now a separate mode, so people can go play that if they don't like their games being interesting.

Togglesworlh said:
That is pretty much the thing, isn't it? Creative mode is now a separate mode, so people can go play that if they don't like their games being interesting.

Oh please. What about people who want to play survival but also don't want to have to continually rebuild their stuff? I want more enemies, more challenging combat, larger enemies, but I also want ways to ensure my stuff doesn't get destroyed by those enemies.

Bootaaay said:
Oh please. What about people who want to play survival but also don't want to have to continually rebuild their stuff? I want more enemies, more challenging combat, larger enemies, but I also want ways to ensure my stuff doesn't get destroyed by those enemies.
Those people are weird.

Everyone has their own line; it's not up to any one individual or group to decide where that line should be (except maybe Notch, although one could easily argue that he, as the developer, doesn't know what it's like to just be a player). Obviously, that includes me! I am just having fun. :D

Also, that's why I suggested earlier some kind of "ward" to keep Endermen away. It'd be a part of the game, instead of just removing it entirely. That way, the game is both interesting AND safe, as long as you put forth the work to make it safe.

Bootaaay said:

The more rage and stress the game gives me to overcome, the longer it'll be before a given world feels so thoroughly conquered that I don't care about it any more. I value the game staying fun more than I value any building staying perfect. When the game was new, I liked it so much not because of the tiny little sandbox I built to repel the initial night's hordes, but because of the balls-out sprint to safety if I went out exploring. The game is only kinda interesting as a giant 3d voxel editor. I don't want my shit to be safe because it makes the game more fun for me. What about people who don't want to continually rebuild their stuff? don't care. I have no reason to give a damn about what other people want out of any given game.

Sure, make it so endermen can't move obsidian or something like that so I can build a fortified room to store stuff in if I want, but the damage they cause seems so easily repairable on average. How fast do they take blocks? Haven't played enough yet to really get the feel for it.

fredrancour said:
I don't want my shit to be safe because it makes the game more fun for me. What about people who don't want to continually rebuild their stuff? don't care. I have no reason to give a damn about what other people want out of any given game.

I would like to see as many fans of the game catered to as possible. This is a sandbox game with emergent gameplay, many people play the game in many different ways and for different reasons. I'm talking about giving players OPTIONS. The option to be able to protect their stuff against monsters, or the option not to in favour of the heightened challenge, but whatever.

Togglesworlh said:
Also, that's why I suggested earlier some kind of "ward" to keep Endermen away. It'd be a part of the game, instead of just removing it entirely. That way, the game is both interesting AND safe, as long as you put forth the work to make it safe.

Craftable wards would be good, and you could use those orbs they drop as part of the recipe for making them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What the game REALLY needs are options that can be toggled on and off. Like ghast and creeper damage to blocks. Like endermen moving blocks around. Like the dark fog at bedrock. It would really be cool if those kind of things could simply be player controlled toggles.

I think the endermen were a unique and creative idea for a monster, and personally I wish they were staying as is. The more interactive the better IMHO.

kodt

Banned
Barberetti said:
Yeah I figured that would happen. They didn't affect me personally because my base was in the middle of the ocean, but I could see how annoying they were going to be for other people.

For me they just created a bunch of floating trees which looked kind of silly.

Bootaaay said:
I would like to see as many fans of the game catered to as possible. This is a sandbox game with emergent gameplay, many people play the game in many different ways and for different reasons. I'm talking about giving players OPTIONS. The option to be able to protect their stuff against monsters, or the option not to in favour of the heightened challenge, but whatever.
Could be in the difficulty options: turn off endermen.

That way the babies and the men would BOTH be happy. :D

I think Notch is removing the Endermen to get rid of the Endermen geological erosion problem. When Endermen die, the blocks they are carrying simply disappear. After a long period of time of Endermen spawning the world would erode down to bedrock as they took all of the blocks they could.

Ferrio

Banned
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I think Notch is removing the Endermen to get rid of the Endermen geological erosion problem. When Endermen die, the blocks they are carrying simply disappear. After a long period of time of Endermen spawning the world would erode down to bedrock as they took all of the blocks they could.

That's actually really cool sounding.

Also, anyone here found any strongholds on their maps yet?

Ferrio

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Sounds cool but imagine that on a server running 24/7 :lol

Monsters and animals only act if people are in that area I believe. So it isn't like you'd log off a server and come back a month later to see it bare.

Ark

The file size is now 1.01gb.

I'm being deadly serious here, but whoever is responsible for that needs to die in a fire. What you've now done is caused the trimming & uploading process of the old map take even longer than it would have before.

celebi23

Ark said:

I'm being deadly serious here, but whoever is responsible for that needs to die in a fire. What you've now done is caused the trimming & uploading process of the old map take even longer than it would have before.
How is that possible? Isn't it like 300MB bigger than it was before? Damn, that's a whole lot of building/exploring

Toki1776

Ark said:

Mostly why I haven't made a new map... I think it might be due to flying being enabled.

guest1321

Ark said:

It's all those clay and wool hunts people have been going on lol

Emitan

Toki1776 said:
Mostly why I haven't made a new map... I think it might be due to flying being enabled.
I went on the server last night (for the first time) and flew around for a bit. But I seriously doubt I made the map 300MB larger. I was just flying around a place that was already developed.

JoeBoy101

Bootaaay said:

Sounds great. Thus the happy medium is that Notch could change it so that they can only lift blocks of a certain type or manner. Or make some blocks Endermen proof.

I love the idea of an Endermen Ward. Ender Pearl on a stick. Looks like a torch, gives off some blue light maybe.

But barring that, I'd still like them to move blocks. Maybe just dirt and smoothstone and such. Plus I want them to build stuff.

EskimoJoe said:
I love the idea of an Endermen Ward. Ender Pearl on a stick. Looks like a torch, gives off some blue light maybe.

But barring that, I'd still like them to move blocks. Maybe just dirt and smoothstone and such. Plus I want them to build stuff.
Yeahhh!

Maybe if you let them build long enough, they make weird little totems. Maybe even they give the blocks they carry special properties (like glowing blue! or something).

bengraven

Houston3000 said:
I follow the tried and true system of only placing torches on my right as I go deeper and then following them back out (by keeping them to my left) while exiting. For the most part that still works but I've ran into a few instance where I'll intersect a previous path a couple times and it gets a little mixed up. At that point I usually put up temporary walls or place a sign post.

You know, that's one of those simple things, like the redstone on the ground as breadcrumbs, that I still don't do for some reason and I don't know why.

I think I'll follow your advice and do it now.

JoeBoy101 said:
Good lord, you aren't kidding about the getting lost.

On mine, I got a mine that is not far from a desert village I made my home. Its more and ex-mine because an underground ravine has cut right through the major part of the mine. Wood blocks, tracks, lava, water, everything everywhere. Simply incredible.

When I saw my first ravine/mineshaft I knew the game was changed forever. The distant fog and spiderwebs...this game needs an echo system now. I want my footsteps to echo (unless you sneak). So beautiful and awesome.

Ranger X said:
Seriously, the Endermen is the first real flaw in Minecraft. They shouldn't pick up blocks that are placed by the player. Seriously, the Endermen messing your stuff doesn't bring jack shit to any aspects of the game. It only potentially bring frustration.

I do agree that they're frustrating, but at the same time I've wanted a mob that can hurt your sense of security. If it wasn't this, it was going to be some monster that can literally bash down walls and no one would want that in their pretty homes.

I like the feeling that no matter how safe I am, death is just one block away.

I do wish they could teleport UP though. I stand on the top of my cathedral and just "look" at them and they gather around the base of the church letting me pop them off with bows and arrows...no real threat.

Except that I'm always missing a few blocks at the base in the morning.

Togglesworlh said:
Me. It makes the game more interesting.

Me, too. :(

crowphoenix said:

Same. :(

Ark

Toki1776 said:

Flying will be turned off when we update the server, but I think you're right.

UgoKN.png

The blue tint is from F.lux.

bengraven

Ark said:

UgoKN.png

Honestly, all respect to those playing right now, but just shut down the server, trim up the map and release it. We'll start again when the mods update in a few days.

Segnit

Banned
Seriously, the Endermen is the first real flaw in Minecraft. They shouldn't pick up blocks that are placed by the player. Seriously, the Endermen messing your stuff doesn't bring jack shit to any aspects of the game. It only potentially bring frustration.

I bet this quote belongs to Ranger X... and... I was right!
Cheer up buddy. You seem far too upset most of the time.

I like Endermen because they improve the survival aspect of the game. I admit that if you're a creative guy then it probably does absolutely nothing for you.

Enco

Ark said:

http://i.imgur.com/UgoKN.png[/img ]

The blue tint is from F.lux.[/QUOTE]
F.lux is so freakin cool.

So much easier on the eyes (with slow change enabled) and I've been going to bed earlier too (not sure if it's related). So good.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
bengraven said:
I do agree that they're frustrating, but at the same time I've wanted a mob that can hurt your sense of security. If it wasn't this, it was going to be some monster that can literally bash down walls and no one would want that in their pretty homes.

I would love if notch actually made a scary mob for you to fight that could do that. It wouldn't even have to be a regular monster, it could be one that spawns every blue moon and it has the ability to destroy blocks. Perhaps even giving it flying abilities just to add to the terror.

Of course this particular monster would only be available on the hardest difficulty of survival mode so that people don't cry about their pretty buildings being demolished.

Ark said:

How do you get it to go blue? Mine only goes into an orangish phase.

bengraven said:
You know, that's one of those simple things, like the redstone on the ground as breadcrumbs, that I still don't do for some reason and I don't know why.

I think I'll follow your advice and do it now.
Yeah, I didn't do it for a long time but it's really simple and you start doing it subconsciously once you're use to it. Another alternative is to just do normal random torch placement but use Redstone torches on the right/left hand side - since you won't need to rely on them for light you can just place them at corners so you know which way to turn at the end of each corridor.

Bootaaay said:

You do that with fences, gates, bars, panes, moats, etc... protect your structures. Maybe it would be nice if there was at least one regular block they couldn't move so you could build walls to. But you just want the survival aspect and the build aspect completely separate in Survival Mode while some people are pushing to have them more closely in-tune.

Personally I would love if Endermen specifically targeted user placed blocks, I would love if zombies broke down your doors, or if Skeletal Archers shattered your glass and shot arrows through your windows. It would give an incentive to fortifying your bases or to build more sprawling defenses around your structures. You'd have a reason to build Arrow Dispensers and TNT cannons, to build draw bridges and big gates besides just because they look cool.

Maybe a good idea would be three game modes instead of two. Creative (like it is), Survival (like what I described), and Adventure (like the way Survival is now).

Ranger X

Segnit said:
I bet this quote belongs to Ranger X... and... I was right!
Cheer up buddy. You seem far too upset most of the time.

I like Endermen because they improve the survival aspect of the game. I admit that if you're a creative guy then it probably does absolutely nothing for you.

hehe, for real I am not upset. Just my way of typing that can give the impression I guess. ;)

The real real solution would be to have options. Wanna play with Endermen damage? toggle it on. Creeper damage? same thing since we were at it. In Minecraft (and not necessarily most games) I would let the player set their stuff as much as possible. And this especially when it's super easy as a "+" or "-" on an available variable.
Imagine that you would decide you world height when you create a new world...

bengraven

Houston3000 said:
Yeah, I didn't do it for a long time but it's really simple and you start doing it subconsciously once you're use to it. Another alternative is to just do normal random torch placement but use Redstone torches on the right/left hand side - since you won't need to rely on them for light you can just place them at corners so you know which way to turn at the end of each corridor.

Very good idea. Thanks.

Pancakes said:
I would love if notch actually made a scary mob for you to fight that could do that. It wouldn't even have to be a regular monster, it could be one that spawns every blue moon and it has the ability to destroy blocks. Perhaps even giving it flying abilities just to add to the terror.

Of course this particular monster would only be available on the hardest difficulty of survival mode so that people don't cry about their pretty buildings being demolished.

I want a giant creature, like a dragon or something, ala Terraria, that you summon. The creature can and will destroy the area around you until you kill it.

Think of getting to the top of your tower/castle and blowing a horn and a dragon appears and flies around, slamming into and destroying your walls or towers as you fight it, until it dies.

That would be like the end game, after you're finished. Credits.

kodt said:
For me they just created a bunch of floating trees which looked kind of silly.

Yeah, I kept getting the urge to tidy up after them, which was kind of annoying in it's own way. No doubt some enterprising modder will mod their block moving ability back in though, so the people who want that will still be able to have it.

Top Bottom