• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Can gates keep out spiders? Is there anything besides lava and tower lips that's spider-proof? I haven't played around with the new crafts, not even pistons.

Blizzard

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Can gates keep out spiders? Is there anything besides lava and tower lips that's spider-proof? I haven't played around with the new crafts, not even pistons.
If I recall correctly, they can't climb up sandstone either.

Ark

Pancakes said:
How do you get it to go blue? Mine only goes into an orangish phase.

Mine is orange/hologen too, but for some reason Fraps picks it up as a blue tint. Beats me :p

Also, if anyone has messaged me about Minecraft Citizenship in the last couple of weeks or so, I've now added you all.

Enco said:
F.lux is so freakin cool.

So much easier on the eyes (with slow change enabled) and I've been going to bed earlier too (not sure if it's related). So good.

So have I! :)

Jhriad

spuit*11 said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/Layerneo/neolayer.html

To whoever did this.

p7MWT.gif

You can see the culprit if you turn on people.

booyou.jpg

And his/her name is pretty easily retrieved as well.

Emitan

Ark said:
Also, if anyone has messaged me about Minecraft Citizenship in the last couple of weeks or so, I've now added you all.
Is it okay to play? It sounds like you're doing some sort of...map thing.

Ark said:
The file size is now 1.01gb.

I'm being deadly serious here, but whoever is responsible for that needs to die in a fire. What you've now done is caused the trimming & uploading process of the old map take even longer than it would have before.

GJDoU.jpg

I'm sorry, but I've probably added a few MB to the file size myself looking for clay... plzdontthrowmeinthefirepit

Another server I played on recently has Bukkit and is on 1.8.

Why isn't GAF? U:

EDIT: I can't even find a 1.8 version of Bukkit so now I'm very confused.

Jasoco

Banned
Put your stuff on the Ark. When the great flood comes, it will wash away the old chunks and the Ark will settle down in a lake or ocean when the waters recede. All the old stuff will be gone leaving an all new world to explore.

kodt

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Another server I played on recently has Bukkit and is on 1.8.

Why isn't GAF? U:

EDIT: I can't even find a 1.8 version of Bukkit so now I'm very confused.

I think there is a beta version that supports 1.8 but no official or recommended release.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jasoco said:
Well, who is it? Chrome won't let me click it to show a pop-up or anything.

Yeah, it wont let me see who it is too. Don't recognize the skin either.

Kalnos said:
Funny, I think Enderman should ONLY pick up blocks placed by the player.
Now thats an idea I support. I think it would make people think about how they build more and try to "ender-proof" what they make. Granted this could just end up resulting in moats around everything...

Kalnos

Banned
I also feel that way because of the so-called "Ender Erosion" in which natural land looks retarded because they're carrying everything all over the place.
KuGsj.gif

Emitan

Atomski said:
minecrafttemple.jpg

I'm surprised, creative mode is actually kinda fun. So is there anyway to make a creative world a normal survival world?
Make a survival map and copy the world folder into it for the creative one?

So what are you guys hoping for in the leveling system? Like, what do you want to get when you level up?

Here's my ideas:
There's just a collection of skills you can get, but instead of being a tech tree, or an "Attack Lvl. 3", it's just new things you can do. For example, tons of people were hoping that you could climb vines when they were created, but Jeb said no. So there could be a "Climb Vines" skill. Reach a new level, buy that one. Now you can do that until you die and fall back to one. There could also be skills like "Super Sprinter: Sprint without losing extra food" or "Tip-Toe: Don't get seen by mobs" These wouldn't be things you actively did, but just passive buffs you buy. Some could be worth more than one point, and there could be a vast amount, so even at max level, you don't have them all.

Blizzard

Banned
Atomski said:
I'm surprised, creative mode is actually kinda fun. So is there anyway to make a creative world a normal survival world?
Back when I started with the free multiplayer creative mode version, I found it was super addictive. The giant servers full of constructions people had made were CRAZY. I do feel like flying around and building things way up in the sky is more suited for creative than survival mode, however.

JVIDICAN

Atomski said:
[

Downgrading to 1.73 and then re-updating works. I'm sure there's an easier way though.

rezuth

Would be awesome if Endermen worked with other mobs instead. Let's say that a creeper can't get to you and then an Endermen sees you so it starts tearing down your wall to try and make the creeper get to you.

Kuran

Banned
EskimoJoe said:
So what are you guys hoping for in the leveling system? Like, what do you want to get when you level up?

Here's my ideas:
There's just a collection of skills you can get, but instead of being a tech tree, or an "Attack Lvl. 3", it's just new things you can do. For example, tons of people were hoping that you could climb vines when they were created, but Jeb said no. So there could be a "Climb Vines" skill. Reach a new level, buy that one. Now you can do that until you die and fall back to one. There could also be skills like "Super Sprinter: Sprint without losing extra food" or "Tip-Toe: Don't get seen by mobs" These wouldn't be things you actively did, but just passive buffs you buy. Some could be worth more than one point, and there could be a vast amount, so even at max level, you don't have them all.
F jeb, climbing vines would be awesome.

Mik2121

Rabbit Lord said:
....wtf man...really?
Yeah. Flying should have never been on the server to begin with.

I mean, if we have flying, we might as well go full Creative mode, and I don't think many people want that.

Blizzard

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Yeah. Flying should have never been on the server to begin with.

I mean, if we have flying, we might as well go full Creative mode, and I don't think many people want that.
Agreed. Flying is unrealistic! I refuse to vote for flying unless pterodactyls are introduced!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You know before the update dropped everyone was okay with flying though some mentioned they liked there experience as vanilla as possible as to why they don't fly.

I don't see why those who want to fly can fly and those who don't want to fly simply just don't fly.

Plywood said:
You know before the update dropped everyone was okay with flying.

I don't see why those who want to fly can fly and those who don't want to fly simply just don't fly.
You mean I could've been flying this entire time in the server?

Blizzard

Banned
Plywood said:
You know before the update dropped everyone was okay with flying.

People who can fly can build things better, faster, high in the sky, presumably travel faster, etc. It's something added to the game that makes everything they do better.

For a different case, what if everyone could use infinite blocks (essentially creative mode)? You could say that those who want to spawn infinite blocks could do it, and those who don't want to can mine for them. But the people who spawn infinite blocks would be able to do all kinds of crazy castles, and the people mining would look up at them and feel like resentful peasants gazing upon their lords castles. Ends up fomenting resentment, and before you know it you've got riots, dark ages, and black plague on your hands.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Blizzard said:
People who can fly can build things better, faster, high in the sky, presumably travel faster, etc. It's something added to the game that makes everything they do better.

For a different case, what if everyone could use infinite blocks (essentially creative mode)? You could say that those who want to spawn infinite blocks could do it, and those who don't want to can mine for them. But the people who spawn infinite blocks would be able to do all kinds of crazy castles, and the people mining would look up at them and feel like resentful peasants gazing upon their lords castles. Ends up fomenting resentment, and before you know it you've got riots, dark ages, and black plague on your hands.
Except flying wasn't a problem before and people just went and mined material as needed.

Ark said:
From what I've gathered most people want flying turned off, feel free to prove me otherwise :)

Well last I checked the mod is installed client side. So how about all the people who want flying gone delete the mod from their minecraft folders...and like magic they can't fly anymore. And thus they get what they want and those of us who want to build without frustration get what we want.

For me Minecraft is about community and building. Neocraft has a great community and I really want to build there but I don't feel like you should put limitations on what we could do creatively.

To me it seems everyone can win in this. With flying on, no one is being forced to play one way or the other. You can choose to fly or not to fly and do your thing and have your fun. The other way is one option for all. I would feel like I am being forced to play the game the way someone else thinks I should be.

You turned flying on a few weeks(months) ago and I would really be disappointed if it was turned off now for no real reason other than some people complaining about it out of some need for everyone being forced to use minecarts or some other stupid shit like that.

Billychu said:
Flying is kind of silly. We can sprint now, so travel will still be faster than just walking.

For me it has nothing to do with traveling, its about removing certain frustrations in regards to building in Minecraft. Flying encourages me to think not only bigger but better and more detail oriented when it comes to building, why take that from me now when it has been turned on for a couple months already.

The same as spawning blocks, flying's cheating imo. And building without frustration? Hell, remember when we didn't even have crouch to stop us falling from high places? Either way, I'll continue to not use flying and just make a point of stating "built without flying" on every structure I post, so you'll all know that my builds are that much more impressive for not cheating :p

Zomba13

Bootaaay said:
The same as spawning blocks, flying's cheating imo. And building without frustration? Hell, remember when we didn't even have crouch to stop us falling from high places? Either way, I'll continue to not use flying and just make a point of stating "built without flying" on every structure I post, so you'll all know that my builds are that much more impressive for not cheating :p
Same.

I've not played for a while (wanted to lately but the whole 1.8 thing) but will be when the server is on 1.8. I think if people can fly to make building easier then why not give everyone block spawning? Why not just play on a peaceful creative server? It's very easy to build on them and you can put as much thought and detail into your stuff and not be bothered by monsters.

Anyway, I won't be using flying if it stays and I will mine all the blocks I need (well, minus the ones I'm bringing on the Ark which I mined).

strata8

I haven't been on with a while but I really disagree with flying. It's fine in a creative server, but it sort of ruins the point of a survival server when you start implementing 'god' features for regular users. Removes the challenge of building a large, complex structure, so to say.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rabbit Lord said:
For me it has nothing to do with traveling, its about removing certain frustrations in regards to building in Minecraft. Flying encourages me to think not only bigger but better and more detail oriented when it comes to building, why take that from me now when it has been turned on for a couple months already.

When I build something high, planning/building the supporting scaffolding is part of the fun in some ways. Balancing up there on a narrow ledge, like some 1930s skyscraper worker.

any good 1.8 seed recommendations? Starting a new SMP server with my kids and want a good one to start with.

Wanace

If he was going to make a craftable mob he should have introduced golems.

Wood/Stone/Iron/Gold/Diamond golems would be amazing, equipped with swords of their respective type or some sort of scaled ranged attack.

Top Bottom