• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Roche

After hours of building and headaches Poorrich and I have finally completed the Asscraft mob grinder, it's got a 50x50x2 room with a canal system leading to a drowning pit. Right now it's working pretty sweet we're getting plenty of items.

Thanks to the Exano server guys for some solid advice they gave us, it really helped.

IrishNinja

Vlad said:
Actually, ZealousD made exactly that a few servers ago. It was on TouchMyBox's server.

aw, man...wish idve seen this. this game begs for zelda dungeons.

also, that underwater city video was awesome. crazy inspired! shit, when any water gets in my house, i have to jam on a few keys and hop like a retarded bunny trying to put glass/etc over the leaky spot, cant imagine doing that all day.

Ranger X

I have a question for you guys.
I am wondering if it was maybe a bad idea to make my "bad mob" grinder right under my "good mob" one?

The one for the good mob is full of torches therefore during the night it's super effective with all the possible NPCs spawning right there. During the day, it's no so effective as good mobs are spawning anywhere.

Now since my "bad mob" grinder is underground but at the same place, I thought maybe there's too many NPCs spawning and this makes my grinders ineffective maybe? Because that one underground doesn't really work. I mean, it's functional but there's like 4-5 mob spawning there, max. I even did put the game to hard difficulty. During the night, while the "good mob" grinder is in full swing, I simply get no NPCs underground...

Jasoco

Banned
Roche178 said:
Someone tried to break into the mystery box after I told them not too

(I lined the walls with TNT MUAHAHAHA)
Did you plant a special tree in the middle of the garden and tell them not to eat its fruit too? Let's just say the worst that happened then was sin was introduced to humanity. You have to clean up that mess now. That's even worse!

Roche

Jasoco said:
Did you plant a special tree in the middle of the garden and tell them not to eat its fruit too? Let's just say the worst that happened then was sin was introduced to humanity. You have to clean up that mess now. That's even worse!

It was my secret place with my secret things and my secret ways, I asked nicely and added a... failsafe measure which did it's job perfectly, the person who tried to sneak into my mystery box is now vaporised along with any traces of my secrets.

I'm sure whomever did it learned a valuable lesson and it was an interesting social experiment for me. I don't mind the cleanup It'll be safer than ever when I'm done with it. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
who uses custom texture packs? I like the standard one but I do find coal difficult to spot underground in the dark.

Jasoco

Banned
Roche178 said:
It was my secret place with my secret things and my secret ways, I asked nicely and added a... failsafe measure which did it's job perfectly, the person who tried to sneak into my mystery box is now vaporised along with any traces of my secrets.

I'm sure whomever did it learned a valuable lesson and it was an interesting social experiment for me. I don't mind the cleanup It'll be safer than ever when I'm done with it. :)
How I'd love to have seen that. Shame you can't set up security cameras in the game. That'd be one hell of a mod though. Though a hell of a CPU killer.

mrklaw said:
who uses custom texture packs? I like the standard one but I do find coal difficult to spot underground in the dark.
I use a customized Painterly Pack. Just wish I could get the custom water without having to install a mod. I would prefer the lighter blue.

Grinchy

Banned
animlboogy said:
Lag issues are rare for me. I do live in the US which may help. The server is still pretty far away; I'm in Iowa City and it's in Scranton, PA I believe. Some of the European players report spikes here and there, especially when it saves. I haven't heard of consistent problems.
Maybe I should check something out on my end then. I'm actually pretty close to the home of The Office so maybe I need to forward some ports or something.

And that's crappy about the mystery box. I kept seeing it at the spawn but I never even thought to open it up lol

Blizzard

Banned
Notch said:
Achievements will NOT be chores like “cut down 10000 trees”, but rather challenges like “ride a pig off a cliff”. Stats, however, will be used to keep track of how many trees you have cut down. The long term plan is to show achievements and stats from the profile page on minecraft.net as well, in case you want to brag.
I wonder if this means that pigs will finally be steerable. I fear that the answer is no. :p

Been put off buying since I'd rather have a relaxing time with a game and not have mobs and low and behold I can turn them off! Loving it so far. Want to discover the item combinations myself but don't think I'll ever figure them all out.

Jasoco

Banned
Brazil said:
That stats page sounds like the best thing ever.
It might convince me to start yet another new world so soon.

Just a shame it's easily hacked since MC is mostly open source. You know a bunch of jerkwads are gonna boost their stats for shits and giggles.

Fantasmo said:
Been put off buying since I'd rather have a relaxing time with a game and not have mobs and low and behold I can turn them off! Loving it so far. Want to discover the item combinations myself but don't think I'll ever figure them all out.
On Peaceful you miss out on a bunch of useful items. I switched to Easy when beds were implemented.

Also, Minepedia is your friend.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jasoco said:

Just a shame it's easily hacked since MC is mostly open source. You know a bunch of jerkwads are gonna boost their stats for shits and giggles.
I don't really care about people who lie to themselves, so it's no big deal.

Jasoco said:
On Peaceful you miss out on a bunch of useful items. I switched to Easy when beds were implemented.
Also, Minepedia is your friend.

I will give it a go with mobs at some point. Been shit scared of 1st person games since the original Doom. Doom fucked me up big time.

Blizzard

Banned
Jasoco said:

How is it mostly open source? I guess if people decompiled it then yeah, but Notch didn't release the source. And yeah, he even posted in a different part of the news post that people can make their own servers for achievements and stats etc.

I think that's a good thing overall. It's a sandbox game. Those who want to have achievements or stats as a goal or informational thing for themselves can do it. Those who want to "cheat" to get them can do so. It's the player's call. I don't see a need to turn Minecraft into a stat competition where cheating would be a concern. :p

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
FUCK

Something just happened that has made me rage to the point of deleting the game.

Was playing, finally finished mining everything from my mine. Decided to move my most valuable stuff first. Got back to my base, made a couple chests and laid them inside, then decided to take some obsidian and make my first portal. On my way back to my base I black-screened (First time ever, no fucking clue why). And when I got back in my chests were gone. Everything is still there (even the obsidian I layed for the portal a ways from my base) but the chests are gone. Days worth of materials I had mined. So fucking pissed right now

Qwomo

Zerokku said:
FUCK

Something just happened that has made me rage to the point of deleting the game.

Was playing, finally finished mining everything from my mine. Decided to move my most valuable stuff first. Got back to my base, made a couple chests and laid them inside, then decided to take some obsidian and make my first portal. On my way back to my base I black-screened (First time ever, no fucking clue why). And when I got back in my chests were gone. Everything is still there (even the obsidian I layed for the portal a ways from my base) but the chests are gone. Days worth of materials I had mined. So fucking pissed right now
SP or MP?

Whenever something like that happens to me in SP, I just temporarily download something like invedit and replace all the lost materials.

It's kept me from uninstalling the game multiple times.

Jasoco

Banned
woolley said:
How well does Minecraft run on Macbook Pros? Does it lag a lot?
No. Well, not on my computer with an SSD and 8GB of RAM. Even with Fancy graphics and smooth lighting turned on.

Roche

animlboogy said:
Oh, and is the crash in the video? I need to link that on the blog! I wish I wasn't so busy lately, I would have loved to he there.

Here I was thinking you'd be mad! The server looks like it crashed shortly after we detonated the last of the TNT and went to check the damage.

Roche

Ranger X said:
You guys crashed all that you built for fun? :p

To be fair I originally wanted to use hundreds of TNT but we limited ourselves to 90 to not crash the server, I guess it didn't work! :)

Qwomo

Ranger X said:
You guys crashed all that you built for fun? :p
IDgzM.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
lol awesome job with the TNT. I wish I could have been online to watch that. Definitely can't get on the server now so it must have been a nice explosion :D

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I remember the crater we made in the old Gafland when it was about to go down. We had /tnt commands that gave us stacks of it.

Must've used many thousands of TNT there. It went from surface to bedrock and was very, very wide. Everyone would get 2 minutes lag spikes every time someone blew up a row of TNT, haha.

Top Bottom