• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Eccocid said:
Nah..we used it on some empty flat area..We just wanted to make a big man made crater! lol

lol yeah I figured. Despise finding it funny in some way, I didn't think you guys would blow all that amazing stuff up. ;)

I need to try the multiplayer sometime, I just burned away a better part of the afternoon working on my lava fortress of doom by myself in survival. I think I set my world on fire in the process though. There was a chain reaction of burning tress and now my world is all smokey/foggy. I hit bedrock for the first time, and I've actually managed to mine some obsidian.

Ranger X

So I went on Youtube and tried to see what could be the cause for my monster grinder to not work fine. I wonder if some of you could confirm this knowledge (as truth or legend)

1 - Supposedly the monsters are spawning over a 16x16 area. It can obviously be smaller but this size is supposed to be the size where you get a full spawn bunch.

2 - Monsters are spawning 24 blocks away from where you are or from spawn.

2.5 - Some other guy says 32...

3 - More mobs in number are spawing at the Easy difficulty.

If this is all truth, this would actually explain the lack of efficiency of my mob grinder. What would be odd thought is that "good mobs" really don't seem to follow this logic and I really wonder why Notch would make the 2 different spawnming method for his mobs unless losing time for the love of coding.

Eccocid

Ranger X said:
So I went on Youtube and tried to see what could be the cause for my monster grinder to not work fine. I wonder if some of you could confirm this knowledge (as truth or legend)

1 - Supposedly the monsters are spawning over a 16x16 area. It can obviously be smaller but this size is supposed to be the size where you get a full spawn bunch.

2 - Monsters are spawning 24 blocks away from where you are or from spawn.

2.5 - Some other guy says 32...

3 - More mobs in number are spawing at the Easy difficulty.

If this is all truth, this would actually explain the lack of efficiency of my mob grinder. What would be odd thought is that "good mobs" really don't seem to follow this logic and I really wonder why Notch would make the 2 different spawnming method for his mobs unless losing time for the love of coding.

There is something weird with their spawning :(
When u need them they dont spawn!
The big ass mob grinder in AssCraft (which is like 50x50 room with canals) gets so empty sometimes.
I spent few hours today for loot and mobs spawned so randomly. Sometimes items were pouring down non stop for 30 mins and then they just stop spawning for an hour maybe.

Also i read that a map has a 200-250 mob limit.

Ranger X

Eccocid said:
There is something weird with their spawning :(
When u need them they dont spawn!
The big ass mob grinder in AssCraft (which is like 50x50 room with canals) gets so empty sometimes.
I spent few hours today for loot and mobs spawned so randomly. Sometimes items were pouring down non stop for 30 mins and then they just stop spawning for an hour maybe.

Also i read that a map has a 200-250 mob limit.

I am testing solutions right now. I will try larger areas without canals (righ now I have five3x15 areas with 2 block wide canals in between) like some 8x15 and see if it improves.
I'm also changing my cactus killing setup for lava killing because it seems that cactus can break loot (so is lava but you probably know what's the set up for this one to not interfere the pick ups )

Eccocid

Ranger X said:
I am testing solutions right now. I will try larger areas without canals (righ now I have five3x15 areas with 2 block wide canals in between) like some 8x15 and see if it improves.
I'm also changing my cactus killing setup for lava killing because it seems that cactus can break loot (so is lava but you probably know what's the set up for this one to not interfere the pick ups )

We have like maybe 9 10x10 area sbetween canals and all the canals meet at the middle which is like a hole goes all the way down..deep enough to drown the mobs who would fall in to canal and get caught in it. It never damages the loot! so its like a giant flush of doom! lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Where is the server you guys play on?

edit: got it

edit2: bah I get a java crash when I execute minecraft.exe:(

IrishNinja

Rabbit Lord said:
I'm user Ninefingers81 on Exano's server, I need lots and lots of black wool, willing to trade stuff. Just hit me up if you see me on.

wish i had more, man; again, your pirate ship is looking awesome.

any word on when the carts will get back on track (no pun)? sucks to hear they're being wrecked these days.

Man

wolfies-600x325.png

Minecraft is getting wolves! You can even tame them and they will aid you in combat.
You can also throw them bones.

http://www.ripten.com/2011/03/19/minecraft-is-getting-wolves-adorable-deadly-wolves/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jasoco said:
On Peaceful you miss out on a bunch of useful items. I switched to Easy when beds were implemented.

Also, Minepedia is your friend.

what do you miss out on? gunpowder from creepers inevitably causes trouble on multiplayer, feathers and arrows are only used for bow & arrow which you don't need on peaceful, bone for bonemeal is just for crop speeding up.

I'd like an alternative where you can turn surface mobs off, but keep them underground. I want to go spelunking and have the crap scared out of me by mobs, but would prefer not to have them above ground. TBH one of the first things you do is mob-proof your immediate area and it ends up looking messy with torches all over the floor.

Also my kids won't play my multiplayer server with mobs turned on, even though our area is very safe..

edit: is that google map of exano's server down for anyone else?

IrishNinja

yeah, that google map got fried, dude said he'd get it back up elsewhere tomorrow.

oh my god i want a pet wolf. so glad i hoarded all these useless bones!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
animlboogy said:
They're useless? I guess if you don't like to grow trees quickly.

if you have even an average sized treefarm or wheat farm, they'll grow almost as fast as you can cut them down.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
We know. Top of page 10. (If you have the correct setting of 100 posts per page set.)

Well, that's cool he posted that because it also links to a place where Notch is cited telling stuff about Achievements... and DRAGONS...

Jasoco

Banned
Ranger X said:
Well, that's cool he posted that because it also links to a place where Notch is cited telling stuff about Achievements... and DRAGONS...
I want dragons. I want dragons now!

Are these supposed to be in the next update, or just ideas for way down the road? Because I want them now!

Or later.

Whenever. Take your time.

Eccocid

I want birds like in that mod ! they looked so cool and natural! lol

I ALSO WANT NOTCH ADD GRAVITY SECRETLY WITH NEXT UPDATE WHICH WOULD EFFECT ALL SAVES lol
think of it u load your save and all those sky castles fell to ground! lol

Ranger X

Eccocid said:
I want birds like in that mod ! they looked so cool and natural! lol

I ALSO WANT NOTCH ADD GRAVITY SECRETLY WITH NEXT UPDATE WHICH WOULD EFFECT ALL SAVES lol
think of it u load your save and all those sky castles fell to ground! lol

hahaha lol no.
That would destroy the game too much. No caves, no tunnels, etc
I would be curious to see a continent crumble though.

Rapstah

Gravity would only work in the game if there was some calculation done as to what weight could be supported by X blocks of X material in order to make it support bridges, connecting things and overhangs in a natural way. Too late to implement now though.

Jasoco

Banned
Gravity would kill the game and everything people have done or will want to do in the future. Leave it as it is.

What I do want however is for the minecart booster bugs to be fixed, but replaced with a single powered track piece that would boost a cart when powered and stop it dead when unpowered. (Or make separate stoppers and slowers as long as they can both boost when powered.)

It would let people replace long 6 track sections of boosters that require a second cart and more track with a single solitary track piece that would only require a single redstone torch next to it to keep the cart moving along the path. It would boost smartly in the direction the cart was traveling when it hit it.

All you'd need for an automatic perpetual cart system is a loop of track, some powered boosters, one booster connected to a single switch, redstone wire and delayed repeater. The cart would move along, stop at the station, after the delay it would be boosted off again to the next stop. It'd all be automatic and once started would keep going.

It's the most logical solution to the minecart problem. And would only require one single track piece with the ability to boost when powered and stop when unpowered.

I'll leave it up to Mojang whether it should boost incrementally or boost to a steady speed.

And yes, it's the same idea that's been suggested before many times.

Heck, they could implement the track now, but leave the bug in place and place a warning on the Wiki that all existing booster's will not work anymore at a later time. I'm sure people won't mind fixing their boosters if it meant they actually will end up with a buttload of extra track and carts after replacing them all.

Jasoco

Banned
That's an awesome lighthouse. I had made one out of stone almost like that in my old world. If I had a shitload of red wool I'd make one like that with red stripes instead of black ones. But that'd a hell of a lot of flowers. Wouldn't be so bad if we could breed flowers.

Rapstah

I took some time off and spent the downtime in my single player save and explored a monstrous cave in the Glacier seed. Several octagonal chambers that looked almost man-made which was creepy. Ended up with two diamonds (too bad, one short of a hell gate) and ridicolous amounts of lapis dust, enough to make eight blocks.

bengraven

Fuuuck, I had a few minutes to spare and noticed .net was down. Oh well, tonight I suppose.

Also, "Ninefingers", I don't have much black wool, but what I do have is your's. I only have maybe 8-12 though. Not sure the exact number, especially since I can't log in right now. Are you doing the max dyed wool trick? Right click with ink and turn the sheep to black, then hit the sheep. You get up to 3 black wool instead of 1:1.

Speaking of names, there's a mod being worked on now for Bukkit that allows nicknames on multiplayer servers. For the most part, those mods aren't too hard, since I've been on servers where people were even given titles like "Sir Bengraven" or "Bengraven the Pig Puncher".

The hard part is that when you want to do commands for another player, like "/give" you have to use their real login name. This mod will get around that, hopefully.

I say this because I'm still kicking myself for using "RAILTS" as my name (which is my last name) instead of Bengraven like I am on every forum on the planet. I guess I never assumed I'd be playing this game on multiplayer, since I usually HATE multi.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
My work on Southpoint is progressing nicely, the pier is done, and the walls are halfway done.

Will a wall 3 blocks tall with an overhang keep spiders out?

Suikoguy said:
My work on Southpoint is progressing nicely, the pier is done, and the walls are halfway done.

Will a wall 3 blocks tall with an overhang keep spiders out?

Spiders climb walls, no matter the size. You have to add a block in the outside part of the wall, on top. Then, when spiders climb, they'll find a "ceiling" and they will fall again.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Spiders climb walls, no matter the size. You have to add a block in the outside part of the wall, on top. Then, when spiders climb, they'll find a "ceiling" and they will fall again.

Are you aware if by any chance they can climb against the current of water?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DangerousDave said:

That's what I thought, thanks!

I might do the same for for the center point area if nobody objects, I always get waylayed by mobs at night around there.

Suikoguy

Ok, South point has a sizable area walled in and spider protected. Still needs more lighting though as stuff still spawns inside.

I'm thinking of building a little medieval area inside the newly walled south point to add some flavor to the arena.

Bradlums

Suikoguy said:
I'm thinking of building a little medieval area inside the newly walled south point to add some flavor to the arena.
I like where this is headed. Anyone else for making south point medieval themed, complete with castles, barracks, and shanty towns for peasants??

Ferrio

Banned
My friend is currently setting up a new multiplayer server. The world has been limited to 512x512 size, and there's a huge adminium wall blocking you off at the boundary. We're hoping this will cause people to work more together and create a more tight knit community. Our current server we have quite a few people, but lots of them are far far off from one another, that even minecart rides take awhile and we're hoping this solves it.

Top Bottom