• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Notch said:
It will be craftable, is friendly, and throws snowballs at enemies. Also melts in hot biomes.

Hmm .. I wonder how many you can have on the go at the same time? Would be amusing to take an army of them on a cave exploration trip.

Toppot

Barberetti said:
Hmm .. I wonder how many you can have on the go at the same time? Would be amusing to take an army of them on a cave exploration trip.
Probably as many as you want, just like you can with wolves.

elwes

I think I need help. I've been playing Minecraft for over a year now, and I've built some cool stuff, but it seems like all I've been doing since I started playing again about a month ago is useless digging and clearing of mountains and ravines. I built a roof over a bunch of mountains, then demolished them to ground level, then smoothed that out, and made some weird, squarish amphitheater. Then I shaved off the mountains behind it to get this nice picturesque view of this river valley. Now I'm smoothing out this series of underground ravines that connects to my amphitheater. I have all this awesome space to build stuff, yet I can't stop terraforming. :(

I want to build cool stuff again...but my OCD is getting out of hand.

kkg1701

mrklaw said:
any good 1.8 seed recommendations? Starting a new SMP server with my kids and want a good one to start with.

The seed: USSEnterpriseNCC1701 starts you out on a medium sized island with plenty of more medium to large sized islands to the south. Northwest there is a banana shaped huge island / small continent with half of it being a desert that takes about 1.5 minutes to fly from southernmost point to the northenmost point. To the east there is an irregular continent.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Rabbit Lord said:
For me Minecraft is about community and building. Neocraft has a great community and I really want to build there but I don't feel like you should put limitations on what we could do creatively.

To me it seems everyone can win in this. With flying on, no one is being forced to play one way or the other. You can choose to fly or not to fly and do your thing and have your fun. The other way is one option for all. I would feel like I am being forced to play the game the way someone else thinks I should be.

You turned flying on a few weeks(months) ago and I would really be disappointed if it was turned off now for no real reason other than some people complaining about it out of some need for everyone being forced to use minecarts or some other stupid shit like that.

For me it has nothing to do with traveling, its about removing certain frustrations in regards to building in Minecraft. Flying encourages me to think not only bigger but better and more detail oriented when it comes to building, why take that from me now when it has been turned on for a couple months already.

Neocraft is a survival server, not a creative server. It sounds like you very definitely prefer creative to survival, and there is nothing wrong with that (I'm having a blast in creative mode in 1.8), but the whole point of survival is to build things while in danger of the monsters and environment of the game. There is no danger with flying enabled. Minecart systems mean nothing if you can just fly or warp everywhere. Roads are meaningless. No one wanders the countryside in search of materials or new places, they just safely and quickly fly there. Part of the fun of a multiplayer server is working together against the obstacles of monsters and high heights and deep chasms and such. Making roads and rails that join peoples projects so they can travel easily and safely. That hasn't happened on Neocraft because everyone could just warp all over the place. The nether as a travel system was pointless. And flying makes it all even more pointless.

This time, on 1.8 Neocraft, we want people to actually make rail systems and roads joining areas. We want the nether to actually be used as a transportation network. If flying is enabled, that won't happen.

Plus, flying makes it incredibly easy for people to just go off in random directions and create long "spider legs" on the server map, which rocket up the map file size. We want to keep that to a minimum this time so Ark and Toki don't have to spend so much time trimming the map. Taking flying away will go a long way in preventing that.

Personally, I've never flown on Neocraft. Making the game easier does not make it more fun for myself, I like the challenge of building high with the danger of falling. I like wandering the countryside on foot and sightseeing or hunting materials. God Mode just makes it a huge Lego set. And while that can be fun, it's not the point of Neocraft...

Toki1776

Mengy said:
Plus, flying makes it incredibly easy for people to just go off in random directions and create long "spider legs" on the server map, which rocket up the map file size. We want to keep that to a minimum this time so Ark and Toki don't have to spend so much time trimming the map. Taking flying away will go a long way in preventing that.

This is the biggest reason I suggested the removal of flying. It doesn't bother me when people use it in the building of structures and the like, but there have been some who have clearly used it to make the server map larger far more quickly than would be possible without it. Sorry to the people who used it without abusing it; it always sucks when someone ruins something for everybody.

mrklaw said:
any good 1.8 seed recommendations? Starting a new SMP server with my kids and want a good one to start with.
I really enjoy the seed: Houston.

Tons of forests around the spawn, with huge lakes and rivers and little islands. There's at least two deserts around them but they're both relatively small (well, one might be big but I haven't explored it yet). There's a couple of lava pools on the surface and a lava waterfall on a mountain past the eastern desert. In one of the large lakes the ground underneath is caved in and there's a great cavern system accessible by swimming down into the caves. If you dig around the mineshafts found under the spawn there's a huge ravine breaking through the center that I believe might be under a river but I haven't climbed out of it yet.

mcrae

Toki1776 said:
This is the biggest reason I suggested the removal of flying. It doesn't bother me when people use it in the building of structures and the like, but there have been some who have clearly used it to make the server map larger far more quickly than would be possible without it. Sorry to the people who used it without abusing it; it always sucks when someone ruins something for everybody.

how long does it take to trim the map?

Venfayth

Cryptozoologist said:
If he was going to make a craftable mob he should have introduced golems.

Wood/Stone/Iron/Gold/Diamond golems would be amazing, equipped with swords of their respective type or some sort of scaled ranged attack.

Wowowowow I love this idea. That would be so cool! /nerd chills

Toppot said:
Probably as many as you want, just like you can with wolves.

If that's the case, I'm going to re-skin them to look like stormtroopers, and change the snowball colour to red. And then I shall create my army, and together we will build an Empire and bring order to the galaxy my world!

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Another release coming tomorrow
notch Markus Persson
Fixed a few annoying lighting bugs, like fences under walls and such. We're hoping (HOPING!) to release something tomorrow

notch Markus Persson
If we don't feel comfortable doing a proper release, we'll do another "leak".

Ranger X

I hope this will fix all the lighting problems. From time to time I encounter blocks with false lighting on them and I need to put up a torch beside it so they "re-light" properly afterward.

Orlandu84

Last night I was working on my shaft mine (I find it relaxing), when I ran into lava pools. Long story short, I hit a huge complex of caverns and an abandoned mine! I I left with over one hundred iron ores, 70 tracks, and a cool picture.
uAFN1.jpg

A waterfall next to two lava falls! That was a first for me.
The 1.8 update definitely made mining more of an adventure for me! Because of those caverns and the abandoned mine I spent two hours wandering around killing mobs instead of mining:)

bengraven

Flying is so much fun, but it defeats the purpose of a survival server.

Then again, we don't really do so much surviving as building on NeoCraft so no reason we couldn't make it a creative server I suppose...

Ranger X

bengraven said:
Flying is so much fun, but it defeats the purpose of a survival server.

Then again, we don't really do so much surviving as building on NeoCraft so no reason we couldn't make it a creative server I suppose...

I think Neocraft is great as it is. I mean, it's impossible to please everyone anyways so the case is close in my point of view. At least, in survival mode you can build if you're a builder. In creative mode, the game is broken for other play styles. Therefore, having a survival server is better because it pleases more people.

Mik2121

EVIL said:
Can i be honest about wanting flying simply for the flying island project :p

Kisses Liz
The flying islands on the Ark server like mine on top of Spawn were made without flying. I think that's what makes it impressive. If you can fly, it doesn't really matter if you build on the sky or the ground...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
EskimoJoe said:
Update tomorrow with 4(?!?) new mobs! Can't wait!

FOUR new mobs? Really??? Any more info than that? I'm at work and can't surf most sites...

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Mengy said:
FOUR new mobs? Really??? Any more info than that? I'm at work and can't surf most sites...

Moo-shroom, snowman, and Jeb said he added two new mobs to the Nether.

I think they really need to work on how combat feels if they're going to keep adding hostile mobs. Right now using a pick is more satisfying than swinging a sword. Bow update was a step in the right direction.

Blizzard

Banned
Verdre said:

I think they really need to work on how combat feels if they're going to keep adding hostile mobs. Right now using a pick is more satisfying than swinging a sword. Bow update was a step in the right direction.
You know what someone needs to do? Tweet Notch and remind him of Link's Awakening. Having some way to charge critical sword strikes, or maybe charge the sword like Link's Awakening for a powerful round slash sound fun to me.

Also, we need a more legit hookshot than the fishing rod for use with mountain climbing -- after which, we need a parachute for Just Minecause 2 action. (I'm sure these probably already exist in mods :p)

Verdre said:

I think the real issue is latency. Combat, while not the best, is easy enough in singleplayer, but every time I play on a multiplayer server, it is literally impossible for me to swing my sword or pick or anything at a mob without getting hit every single time thanks to what would otherwise be minor latency issues.

But I haven't played survival multiplayer since the update, so maybe that was fixed?

kodt

Banned
I have an issue where I need to clear out the cave system beneath by base before I can build anything. Just for peace of mind.

Well in 1.8 I keep running into more and more cave systems, they are larger than any I have seen before and just keep going. At this rate I will never clear it and spend the entire game underground.

Vlad

Togglesworlh said:
I think the real issue is latency. Combat, while not the best, is easy enough in singleplayer, but every time I play on a multiplayer server, it is literally impossible for me to swing my sword or pick or anything at a mob without getting hit every single time thanks to what would otherwise be minor latency issues.

But I haven't played survival multiplayer since the update, so maybe that was fixed?

Yeah, I don't know if it's gotten any better since 1.8, but except for Exano's survival server and the Civil Wars server, I've always had issues with the latency and combat in MC. Even Ark's server had it bad enough to make combat kind of a problem.

upandaway

bengraven said:
Um, I don't build in the nether as is because of the shitload of ghasts. I really don't need two more hostile mobs down there.
The Nether could really use some minerals and other rare ores/blocks that require exploring like iron and diamond. Would give some point to going there.

Ranger X

Bootaaay said:
We need a sword and shield combo. Ideally Minecraft combat would be akin to that of Oblivion.

If you hold down the attack button with the sword, it becomes a block. I know it's not exactly a shield but still, there's a blocking move now. I shall try it with squeleton to see if I can block arrows... I never tried it yet.

Ashodin

bengraven said:
Um, I don't build in the nether as is because of the shitload of ghasts. I really don't need two more hostile mobs down there.
The point is to get in then get the fuck out once you've got what you need

Verdre said:

I've heard people say it's a Nether Mob, but not Jeb specifically. Now granted, he was working on the Nether this week, at least some of the time. But they might not be Nether mobs. We know at least one is similar enough to an old mob that he tried to just reskin it with new behaviors. What do you think it was? My hopes:

1) Squid that live in lava in the Nether. Sure they're be useless, since you can't swim to them, but they'd look cool.

2) Hellhounds. Speaks for itself.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
EskimoJoe said:
I've heard people say it's a Nether Mob, but not Jeb specifically. Now granted, he was working on the Nether this week, at least some of the time. But they might not be Nether mobs. We know at least one is similar enough to an old mob that he tried to just reskin it with new behaviors. What do you think it was? My hopes:

1) Squid that live in lava in the Nether. Sure they're be useless, since you can't swim to them, but they'd look cool.

2) Hellhounds. Speaks for itself.

One of Jeb's latest tweets confirms they're Nether mobs.

I think the wolf would probably be the failed re-texture. Squid's would seem a bit useless as a hostile mob unless they're going to have something else lobbing fire at you. Or maybe Mojang is taking a leaf out of Terry Goodkind's book and making evil chickens.

jeb_ Jens Bergensten
Phew, on my way home again. Finished most of the nether stuff, which includes two new hostile mobs (one is the retexturing attempt)

Jasoco

Banned
So snowmen are going to be for distraction. They throw harmless snowballs at enemies to take their focus off the players and sacrifice themselves in the process. So awesome.

Just a shame they only work in snow biomes. There should be equivalents for sunny areas too. Like cactus men for deserts and tree men for other places.

Ah, I don't know how I missed that tweet. Thanks.

If they did add hellhounds, though, I wouldn't want them hostile. Or at least I'd want them hostile, but still tamable. maybe with rotten flesh. Plus they need three heads.

Jasoco said:
Just a shame they only work in snow biomes. There should be equivalents for sunny areas too. Like cactus men for deserts and tree men for other places.

My hope is, when he said they melt in hot biomes, he only meant deserts. Maybe Savannas.

Bootaaay said:
The same as spawning blocks, flying's cheating imo. And building without frustration? Hell, remember when we didn't even have crouch to stop us falling from high places? Either way, I'll continue to not use flying and just make a point of stating "built without flying" on every structure I post, so you'll all know that my builds are that much more impressive for not cheating :p
I'll never understand how people can use the word cheating in relation to Minecraft.

I'll agree, spawning in materials is one thing (ultimately destroys the risk/reward factors involved in material gathering) but forcing people to go 'teetotal' and build tedious amounts of dirt scafolding is quite another. Fair play if that's how you choose to build but I find being able to fly only allows people the freedom to attempt bigger, more sophisticated, builds in a smaller time frame. Surely that can only be a good thing, right?

EDIT: For the record though; I'd much rather we stay Survival. As Ranger mentioned, keeping things as they are will ultimately please more people.

Lazlo Woodbine said:
I'll never understand how people can use the word cheating in relation to Minecraft.

I'll agree, spawning in materials is one thing (ultimately destroys the risk/reward factors involved in material gathering) but forcing people to go 'teetotal' and build tedious amounts of dirt scafolding is quite another. Fair play if that's how you choose to build but I find being able to fly only allows people the freedom to attempt bigger, more sophisticated, builds in a smaller time frame. Surely that can only be a good thing, right?
So go play on a creative server. There is no smaller time frame than building something in creative mode.

Survival mode and creative mode are separate for a reason.

Blizzard

Banned
Lazlo Woodbine said:

The "only" part is not true since it removes any risk of falling, removes almost any risk of losing items from lava, removes any danger from monsters, and removes any need/use for minecarts.

The "Surely that can only be a good thing" is true for people who to construct large buildings in a small timeframe. Creative mode is designed for those people, no? The more extreme people can use mods and/or map editors to create buildings even more quickly.

Blizzard said:
The "only" part is not true since it removes any risk of falling, removes almost any risk of losing items from lava, removes any danger from monsters, and removes any need/use for minecarts.

The "Surely that can only be a good thing" is true for people who to construct large buildings in a small timeframe. Creative mode is designed for those people, no? The more extreme people can use mods and/or map editors to create buildings even more quickly.
Maybe it's just me but I still did all that with flying enabled lol :p

"*LazloWoodbine doesn't like Qatari summers." Ctrl + V, etc...

I just think flying should be there for the people that want it, it's not an obligation. Also I would hate to see any more mods (other then an increased height). One of the main reasons I like playing with you guys on NeoCraft is because it isn't ruined by a plethora of unnecessary mods.

@Togglesworlh: There is still a difference because I will have to have gathered those resources myself rather then by spawning. Being able to fly simply allows a happy medium for those players that still wish to use it.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, anyone else seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzuLnBasMn0

So awesome.

Borman

BolognaSoup said:
Anyone know if Minecraft should run in browser mode on a 2006 original MacBook? Core duo with GMA 950.

It was slow on my 2006 Macbook Pro, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope on it running that well.

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:
Same. I love creepers and I like that they damage property, but ghasts make the Nether uninhabitable. If you find a big open area, and you have 4 ghasts shooting you at the same time, there's no possible way to build a structure that isn't made of only materials that they can't destroy. It's annoying.

The only structure I ever built in the Nether was on neocraft when ghasts couldn't destroy blocks. And even then, it was much harder than building elsewhere.

Top Bottom