• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
i5sb8X530RrAe.PNG

So what was the secret tweet from Notch that wasn't supposed to be seen?

Articalys

Jasoco said:
http://i.minus.com/i5sb8X530RrAe.PNG[IMG]

So what was the secret tweet from Notch that wasn't supposed to be seen?[/QUOTE]
Looks like it may have just been that all MineCon attendees get a unique cloak for their character.

Found a big cave. Explored it. Fell into a lava pit that was right below me and lost everything. Weeped bitterly.

The only upside was what I lost is completely replaceable.

Kuran

Banned
Since when did Minecraft have cloaks? Do they come with any special abilities?

Wow, haven't played in a long time I guess... can't wait for 1.9.

Emitan

Kuran said:
Since when did Minecraft have cloaks? Do they come with any special abilities?

Wow, haven't played in a long time I guess... can't wait for 1.9.
Very few people have them. Like maybe 10 or so.

bengraven

Our old sysadmin, who ran a big MC server last year that I played on for months, was able to get the cloaks on.

Unfortunately he couldn't figure out how to edit them and EVERYONE got one.

I think it'd be cool if you gave cloaks to, say, donaters or something.

I'm totally for the removal of flying on neocraft.

Then don't fly, we have the option to let people play the way they want to play. Don't force me to play the way you want me to play. Is there a way to apply some sort of limits to flying, such as we don't want new people logging on and exploring 300mb of map. Make it rank based? I don't know if thats possible.

Also to others, stop telling me to go play creative. I like gathering mats, I also like building. Don't tell me what the point of Neocraft is, last I checked flying is turned on and has been for a while, many many blocks have been spawned and used by a great number of people and we have a number of mods in use. How about you play vanilla survival.

Borman

The tweets were about being able to change cloaks in your profile on Minecraft.net, and that C418 recommending allowing people to wear two as a joke, and notch saying he was onto something. I assume that is what was deleted, off the top of my head.

Edit: The tweet about people getting cloaks at Minecon, I dont think that was the secret?
"It's highly likely people who go to Minecon will get a unique cloak in Minecraft. #cloakbasedminigsimulation"

Ranger X

Rabbit Lord said:
Then don't fly, we have the option to let people play the way they want to play. Don't force me to play the way you want me to play. Is there a way to apply some sort of limits to flying, such as we don't want new people logging on and exploring 300mb of map. Make it rank based? I don't know if thats possible.

Also to others, stop telling me to go play creative. I like gathering mats, I also like building. Don't tell me what the point of Neocraft is, last I checked flying is turned on and has been for a while, many many blocks have been spawned and used by a great number of people and we have a number of mods in use. How about you play vanilla survival.

Well, it's not that others are telling you how to play anyways, Neocraft always been without flying and Ark warned that it would be temporary. You should totally expect to not be able to fly soon. If ever it's not removed, fine. If ever it is removed, try to make yourself some fun instead of trying to swim against the river flow. THERE IS a fun to have in planning how to build something without dying because you don't fly believe me. You're not immune to that fun...

bengraven

Ranger X said:
Well, it's not that others are telling you how to play anyways, Neocraft always been without flying and Ark warned that it will be temporary. You should totally expect to not be able to fly soon. If ever it's not removed, fine. If ever it is removed, try to make yourself some fun instead of trying to swim against the river flow. THERE IS a fun to have in planning how to build something without dying because you don't fly believe me. You're not immune to that fun...

This is basically it.

I'm okay with it staying because I also grew attached to flying, but I can't deny that it's cheating.

Rabbit Lord said:

It's infinitely more interesting when everyone on a server plays by the same rules and no one cheats.

Drazgul

Mengy said:
Plus, flying makes it incredibly easy for people to just go off in random directions and create long "spider legs" on the server map, which rocket up the map file size. We want to keep that to a minimum this time so Ark and Toki don't have to spend so much time trimming the map. Taking flying away will go a long way in preventing that.

That's what the border plugins are for.

Articalys

Check out the ego on the guy who made FortressCraft:
When asked if the upcoming Xbox 360 release of Minecraft would affect FortressCraft's sales, Sawkins was doubtful.

"Minecraft has been squeezed out of its own market," he said. "It might do well on the name alone, but if you want sexy graphics and shaders and the creative aspect, you have FortressCraft. If you want to fight monsters and share stuff with your friends, you have Total Miner. Nobody will pay for Minecraft when they can pay $3.00 for Total Miner or FortressCraft."
FortressCraft Creator Talks Minecraft Comparisons

Articalys

wwm0nkey said:
might deserve its own thread since this is kind of a call out
If you think so feel free to go ahead and make one, I didn't feel it was significant enough, and there was a thread on it passing the 500k sales mark a bit ago.

onken

Ferrio said:
Just found the coolest area ever.

http://i52.tinypic.com/eim3aq.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/30203yw.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/4soao4.jpg[IMG]

HUUUGE overhang, waterfalls, huge caverns underneath. Epic.[/QUOTE]

That is cool. What's the seed?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
notch just tweeted that villagers are coming in 1.9, but they won't do much and will only spawn in new villages. so reset again so soon?? why can't the game just store where villages are?

as for flying, you could perhaps allow it but only for height/building. anyone found using it to fly long distances and bloating the map get it removed.

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
notch just tweeted that villagers are coming in 1.9, but they won't do much and will only spawn in new villages. so reset again so soon?? why can't the game just store where villages are?

Yup, the eternal "already generated chunks can't update" problem. Gotta get used to it, its the way his code is thought out. :/

See, this is exactly why he shouldn't have put villages in 1.8. Goddamnit Notch.

No point of villages without villagers, no point of XP without any reason for it. Hell, I think I would be happy if 1.8 was just the new terrain generation and everything else was bundled in 1.9. He should have done that, called 1.8 the 'world' update and 1.9 the 'adventure' update.

Grinchy

Banned
This is why, in my new world, I have only explored the amount of area that would fit in a map. I don't go beyond those borders, because when 1.9 comes out, I'd like to just take my long ass minecart track to the edge of my currently usable area and start generating some new chunks.

This is my plan, at least. I have no idea if that will work the way I'm hoping it works.

Ranger X

Man, I just discovered a mine in my SP world. Spelunking is having an entirely new meaning now. It's way more dangerous. I've encountered an underground ravine, the mine shaft are plenty, chests are too. It never been this exciting!!!

Seriously, I want Notch babies.

Grinchy said:
This is why, in my new world, I have only explored the amount of area that would fit in a map. I don't go beyond those borders, because when 1.9 comes out, I'd like to just take my long ass minecart track to the edge of my currently usable area and start generating some new chunks.

This is my plan, at least. I have no idea if that will work the way I'm hoping it works.
That's basically what I've done, there's a small chunk I haven't walked over to yet but, for the most part, I simply explored one maps worth of terrain and, surprisingly (luckily maybe) I didn't find any villages. Every other world I generated had a village relatively close to spawn. If I did find one though I would probably just mine it for the resources at this point and replace it with a monument of some sort.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Grinchy said:

That is what I am doing too. My new world has a huge mountain right at the spawn which is also the intersection point of four different biomes, but I have just stayed right on (and inside) that mountain and done my best to generate as little new land around the spawn as possible. So far I've done pretty good. I created the exact same world in creative mode and explored around and I freaking love this map, but in my SSP world I'm not going to explore any of it at all, nor enter the nether at all, not until 1.9 comes out and the following are in the game:

- snow biomes
- improved swamp biomes
- NPC's in villages
- red flowers come back
- new improved nether
- volcano biomes (I think this is still planned for 1.9?)

Hopefully it all meshes nicely with the 1.8 land generation. If not then I'll just restart my new world AGAIN for 1.9. It's kind of why I'm spending more time messing around with creative mode for now, because I'm not sure if my 1.8 world will be kept or not. Time will tell...

Um...

@Notch Twitter:
1 hour ago
We'll do a 1.9 pre-release today, and a full release after feedback. More Adventure Mode content will come in 1.10, we're splitting it up!

Splitting it up more or just unannounced adventure mode stuff in 1.10?

Mik2121

Houston3000 said:
Um...

@Notch Twitter:
1 hour ago
We'll do a 1.9 pre-release today, and a full release after feedback. More Adventure Mode content will come in 1.10, we're splitting it up!

Dang... more splitting up...

Then I wonder what's 1.9 really include. The extra mobs and NPC? Something else...?

Xun

Houston3000 said:
Um...

@Notch Twitter:
1 hour ago

So NeoCraft will take quite some time to get back up then? :/

Mik2121

Ahh.. yeah. I think I will be playing around in Creative mode until 1.9 releases later today and if that 1.10 releases soon, then be playing Creative mode in 1.9 until it releases.

Do we exactly know what's coming with 1.9?

Mik2121 said:
Dang... more splitting up...

Then I wonder what's 1.9 really include. The extra mobs and NPC? Something else...?

Npc,1 friendly craft able mob,Missing and 1 new bioms, some nether mob and other fixes.(atleast this is what notch and jeb hinted in twitter}

Aguirre said:
Just had a power cut while playing Minecraft. Booted up and now my world save is completely gone! My Beautiful base...

If you recreate a world with the exact same title it should respawn you in your lost world, although it will probably place you in a new spawn point, so you may have to do some exploring and use a mapper program to find your base.

Drazgul

Aguirre said:
Just had a power cut while playing Minecraft. Booted up and now my world save is completely gone! My Beautiful base...

Tried opening the world with MCEdit?

I reverted back to 1.7.3 for IC² 1.0, Buildcraft 2.1.1 and Equivalent Exchange 3.55 - it's like a hundred times more addictive than vanilla Minecraft.

lh94V.png

Already well on my way to destroying the beautiful landscape with machinery. Progress, hooo!

Aguirre

Bootaaay said:
If you recreate a world with the exact same title it should respawn you in your lost world, although it will probably place you in a new spawn point, so you may have to do some exploring and use a mapper program to find your base.
Really? Thanks! I'll try to explore a lot and if I get no luck... I'll perhaps try to cartograph my map and see if there's any trace of Fuckonia, land of Aguirre

gutabo

I don't really care about the "splitting it up" think, I like the fact that we're getting upgrades more often so if it takes 10 more little upgrades to get to the real adventure update(but they are like, weekly "leaks"), keep them coming! It'll get ugly for mods trying to keep up tho, unless one of the many early theorical updates is the mod update.

Aguirre

gutabo said:
I don't really care about the "splitting it up" think, I like the fact that we're getting upgrades more often so if it takes 10 more little upgrades to get to the real adventure update(but they are like, weekly "leaks"), keep them coming! It'll get ugly for mods trying to keep up tho, unless one of the many early theorical updates is the mod update.

I think it's better splitting it up too. If they break up the adventure update into bite sized chunks, then we can appreciate all the new little features which would otherwise be missed because the new, larger features such as new mobs, generating villages, tombs, etc.

Grinchy

Banned
BeltNotch said:

I could just be an idiot, but how does 1.9 progress to become 1.1?

Ty4on said:
Pretty sure it's Minecraft 1.1 of the full version :)
Ohhhhh, so like this is Beta 1.9, and when they actually release it, it's Minecraft 1.1? Makes sense if you're a programmer, I guess =P

Top Bottom