• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Neat! Water is a different color in swamps. I've been wanting water to be different colors per biome, a la grass, for a while now!

And lilypads! Why couldn't they work this fast before? I love these little things that make the world more real!

Enco

Just hit me.. imagine if the game had coloured lighting!

An Avatar esque world with pretty flowers and glowing water!

Drazgul

Enco said:
I want something that works in mp.

I know what you mean - fortunately for me the other players more than make up for lack of SMP support in Millenaire (which would be brilliant of course, but probably not very feasible due to its coding).

Random question; does anyone know of a world seed that has a desert next to a massive ocean? I would like to try making that VLA (livestock spawner) again, and I need huge space without any grass around.

ArtistDude88 said:
Random question; does anyone know of a world seed that has a desert next to a massive ocean? I would like to try making that VLA (livestock spawner) again, and I need huge space without any grass around.
I thought passive mobs spawning isn't restricted to grass blocks anymore?

gutabo

I also think that this "many updates instead of a big update" thing is faster and better because they make changes and fix the bugs faster instead of making A LOT of changes and then fixing many more bugs afterwards, usually much later because they have been trying to find the bugs themselves before release with little to moderate success. A few testers < thousands of dedicated, mindless, stalking testers.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else's SMP map get corrupted? We're trying to figure out if our server is fucking up or if it's something related to 1.8 that fails to save maps properly.

Aguirre

just loaded up 1.9, took a few steps, looked around and was greeted by this view... i've found my heading!!

WxXqR.jpg

sophora

I'll probably jump onto the pre-release sometime tomorrow, working all day. Though seeing the screenshots do make me quite excited for this one.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Qwomo said:

SWEET! Good list of changes:

•Nether blocks: Nether brick, Nether Fence, Nether Stairs

•Nether brick is flammable, it will stay on fire regular than a regular stone block but not indefinitely like Netherrack. Nether fences cannot be lit on fire.

•Nether Terrain Features: Strongholds & bridges of Nether brick (can be MASSIVE complexes) http://i.imgur.com/DMso1.jpg

•Blaze- Nether mob, A sort of Fire Elemental that comes from spawners and shoots fireballs http://i.imgur.com/U94ZX.jpg

•Magma Cube- Nether mob, look like a slime but upon jump they uncoil like a spring. They also will split apart into smaller versions of themselves when hit like slimes. http://imgur.com/a/4Wdoo

•Nether items: Blaze Rod (dropped by new mob), Nether Wart (new crop) , Ghast Tear, Gold Nuggets (dropped by zombie pigmen)(put 9 of them together to craft into a gold bar)

•Farm-able Nether crop (Nether Warts), only plantable on soul sand.

•Ghast fireballs do not damage new Nether materials. (might be bug?)

•Swamps: darker colored water and lily pads

•NPCs in villages, one main model with different colors for different "jobs." Pics here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/knx1o/minecraft_19_pre_out/c2lrg2m

•Red flowers and Snow Biomes are back!

•Mushroom Biome! purple tinted grass and large mushrooms growing

•"Mooshroom" cows appear in Mushroom biome, can be sheared to get mushrooms and then turn into regular cows

•Snow "Golem"- can be crafted by placing two snow blocks vertically on the ground, and then placing a pumpkin head on top of them. NOTE: They are crafted by block placement not a crafting square!

•Rain is re-textured.

•Water and Lava leak through adjacent blocks.

•Chests now make no sound at all.

•Holding space no longer allows sustained jumping; must tap jump key for each jump.

•When a lava spring touches water, it makes smooth stone instead of cobble.

fresquito

I started a new game. Appeared in a swamp biome. Lilipads are grey when collected. I don't know what they're useful for. Can't place them on the water again.

Experience still doesn't work. I haven't found anything else. Jumping needing to be presed is a bit of a chore, but heh.

I don't like the enderman nerf. They don't even do the trun and face you when you look at them anymore. They just wander around, not doing anything or messing with blocks anymore. Fuck the whiners

Grinchy

Banned
Enco said:
Just hit me.. imagine if the game had coloured lighting!

An Avatar esque world with pretty flowers and glowing water!
Terraria is adding colored lighting and it looks really nice. It's definitely something I hope Notch copies.

CrunchyFrog said:
I don't like the enderman nerf. They don't even do the trun and face you when you look at them anymore. They just wander around, not doing anything or messing with blocks anymore. Fuck the whiners

I'm totally with you there. I loved it when I'd find random blocks misplaced in my single player world. I have no idea why that was a big issue for people (unless it was ruining redstone wiring or something)

Emitan

Grinchy said:
Terraria is adding colored lighting and it looks really nice. It's definitely something I hope Notch copies.

I'm totally with you there. I loved it when I'd find random blocks misplaced in my single player world. I have no idea why that was a big issue for people (unless it was ruining redstone wiring or something)
Because they would ruin structures made by players. I have no issues with them affecting blocks I've never placed.

Jasoco

Banned
Holy fuck. Hoooooly fuuuuuuck. 1.9 may have just beaten 1.8. But together they're the greatest update ever. Why did they hold back on all these features for so long?
Rhetorical answer: Terarria and other competition.

mrklaw said:
I just want NPCs that are like the ones that were in the original Yogcast adventures.
Those were employees of whatever company employs them for their videos acting out a script and editing the world while they slept.

Enco

Grinchy said:
I wish.

Would make the game 1000x better. If I had to bet, I would say he won't do it. We're lucky we have useless NPCs.

Kuran said:
My minecraft won't update to the new version, even with forced update enabled.. :(
It's 'leaked', it isn't being pushed to clients. You have to download the minecraft.jar file and place it in the bin folder.

Zomba13

Togglesworlh said:
Yeah, a bunch of whiners once again ruin the game for everyone else.

RUINED IT IS NO LONGER EVER WORTH PLAYING
No one said they ruined the game. They've at least (apparently) ruined Endermen if they don't do anything now. What's the point of them if they don't mess with blocks or do the creepy turn to look at you when you look at them?

Zomba13 said:
No one said they ruined the game. They've at least (apparently) ruined Endermen if they don't do anything now. What's the point of them if they don't mess with blocks or do the creepy turn to look at you when you look at them?
Hah, sorry. That wasn't clear.

I wish Endermen were even MORE destructive.

When I said "ruined", I meant for me, and other people who liked Endermen. Then I added that second line to emphasize that "ruin" was an exaggeration. X:

Ark

This thread has been moving *so* quickly since 1.8 came out.

If the CraftBukkit team doesn't release a recommended build by Monday/Tuesday next week, I'm probably going to update the server to 1.8 vanilla.

Grinchy

Banned
Billychu said:
Because they would ruin structures made by players. I have no issues with them affecting blocks I've never placed.
That was the best part about them (to me)! I've had creepers blow up sections that had redstone wiring inside of them, and that is annoying to have to re-do, but a few blocks misplaced? That's a cakewalk.

John

CrunchyFrog said:
that's very disappointing. the adversity is what makes minecraft fun, and the endermen were a remarkably clever method of undermining the player's security without being egregious about it. they didn't do any serious damage. at most they'd give your house a few battle scars. and who doesn't like scars?

Ark

Togglesworlh said:
Oh okay. You said "If the CraftBukkit team doesn't release a recommended build", so I thought you didn't know.

To be fair, I didn't know when I made that post, but then I noticed it on the Multiplay forums.

I just didn't want to look silly <3 :p

Zomba13

Togglesworlh said:
Hah, sorry. That wasn't clear.

I wish Endermen were even MORE destructive.

When I said "ruined", I meant for me, and other people who liked Endermen. Then I added that second line to emphasize that "ruin" was an exaggeration. X:
Ah, I thought you were being snarky to the people who didn't like how Endermen were nerfed.

I want them more destructive too.

Kuran

Banned
Qwomo said:
That Endermen picking up/placing blocks was a cool idea, which it is. Whiners gonna whine, though.

He should stick to his original vision, watering down won't make anything better... I want the Endermen to tear down my house right in front of me!

At least leave it in an optional difficulty level.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Kuran said:
It's really a shame about the enderman, what was he thinking?

Firstly, too many people complained about mobs griefing player built stuff, and Notch changed his mind.

But secondly, Notch didn't like what has been termed "endermen erosion". If an enderman picks up a block, then dies without placing it, a block is lost from the game. He wants to keep that type of thing limited to player actions and not mob actions. Creepers are different because they only blow up due to player interactions, where endermen can act independent of the player. If you start a single player world and fly up in the air and park yourself, and then let the game run for week or two, in that time period the landscape below you would be eroded down greatly due to endermen taking blocks and then dying to either rain or sunlight before they could place them again.

I still think they were a great and original idea for a mob and should have stayed as they were. People who don't want mobs doing shit to their stuff can play on peaceful IMHO. But, it's hardly the end of the game or anything...

bengraven

Jasoco said:
Holy fuck. Hoooooly fuuuuuuck. 1.9 may have just beaten 1.8. But together they're the greatest update ever. Why did they hold back on all these features for so long?
Rhetorical answer: Terarria and other competition.

Those were employees of whatever company employs them for their videos acting out a script and editing the world while they slept.

Wait, how did 1.9 beat 1.8?

Top Bottom