• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Venfayth

Maxrpg said:
Where's the guy who bitches about fans whining to Notch

7ijZ0.png

Not sure if the charge-jump thing would have been cool or not.

EVIL

next time, rename your old version to for example 1.8 to minecraft-1.8.jar and put the new version in the bin folder. this way you can always go back to 1.8 by naming the updated version minecraft-1.9.jar and rename minecraft-1.8.jar to minecraft.jar .. hope that makes sense

Neat. I don't mind the click-to-swing combat mechanic, because it never worked well for me just holding down the button, anyway. But I definitely used the autojump alllllll the time to climb stuff, as did everyone else, I'm sure.

Blizzard

Banned
Billychu said:
It's okay for me to upload the .jar right? I'll delete the link if it leads to piracy or something like that.
As far as I know, distributing it is explicitly against the Mojang rules and would let anyone play it for free, right?

Venfayth

Billychu said:
It's okay for me to upload the .jar right? I'll delete the link if it leads to piracy or something like that.

Yeah, because they haven't officially moved past 1.8.1 yet, the 1.9 release is a 'leak'

edit: I think it should be okay to upload the jar, I mean

Acullis said:
Yeah, because they haven't officially moved past 1.8.1 yet, the 1.9 release is a 'leak'

edit: I think it should be okay to upload the jar, I mean
Where can I find a non-modified 1.8.1, then?
Acullis said:
7ijZ0.png

Not sure if the charge-jump thing would have been cool or not.
This ain't SMB2.

Venfayth

Professor Beef said:
Where can I find a non-modified 1.8.1, then?

Should be the version of the game that is automatically downloaded when you connect with the launcher. Just delete the .jar file in your folder currently and then run the launcher, it'll download the most recent official release. All of the 1.9 stuff has to be installed manually, still.

blamite

Professor Beef said:
This ain't SMB2.
:eek:

What if you could charge your jumps by crouching? I'm not sure how it would work, or what you could use it for, but if Notch really wanted to add charged jumps, that could be a neat way to do it.

Acullis said:
Should be the version of the game that is automatically downloaded when you connect with the launcher. Just delete the .jar file in your folder currently and then run the launcher, it'll download the most recent official release. All of the 1.9 stuff has to be installed manually, still.
Did it, and now Minecraft won't load. :|

EDIT: Never mind, forgot to do "force update."

blamite said:

What if you could charge your jumps by crouching? I'm not sure how it would work, or what you could use it for, but if Notch really wanted to add charged jumps, that could be a neat way to do it.
I...would not be opposed to this.

EVIL

blamite said:

and then when slowly moving around an edge of a ravine and you want to jump up one block you launch yourself

vas_a_morir said:
Mengy said:
Son of a Bitch. My awesome map seed for 1.8, which generated this awesome huge mountain, which was centered on the meeting point of four different biomes and had two awesome ravines close by...

2011-09-11_070959.png

/QUOTE]

Man, that would have been PERFECT for the new server. We park the Ark inside, and build into the inside of the walls. So sad, man.

But the server's going to be in 1.8, right? So won't it still generate that based off the same seed? And once the map is set, it'll stay that way?

Jasoco

Banned
No, seed generation is different than the last 1.8 seed generation because of the addition of the extra biomes. It's all fractal based, but by adding the extra biomes, it makes it differently generated.

It'll never completely change until Mojang stops changing or adding biomes. It's a gift and a curse.

Anyway, so do snowmen not melt? I made about a dozen of them in the desert and they don't go away. I wouldn't be surprised if they will melt in the future but aren't designed to yet, but I love them.

Red Liquorice said:
Which one is the guy who squeals every time he sees something new?
As much as I LOVE Yogscast, that is the part I hate the most. It's an annoying squeel. It was funny the first time, but now he does it every time. Someone needs to tell him to stop.

Ashodin

I'm pretty sure Snowmen will melt later, they just have to make the animation for it (which should be easy, just animate the blocks shrinking).

Charging jumping like that would've made getting around feel so much jankier. That would've meant you didn't jump when you tapped the space bar, only when you released it. Would've made things feel just a bit more sluggish and awkward I think. And considering how much jumping you have to do in this game...

JVIDICAN

1.9 pre-release is running pretty shitty for me. 1.8 runs 50-60fps while 1.9 runs at 50fps for 10 seconds before plummeting to a steady 2fps. D:

Jasoco

Banned
So, snowmen DO have a snowballs chance in Hell...

jbhnDUbv4KJIYk.png

Except that they can't win so Pigmen will just keep trying and snowmen can only knock them back. Also, they only attack once the pigmen become hostile.

As for a battle with the flying fire man, that doesn't go as well as the other battle.

N-Bomb

Suggestion for Endermen - how about they can only move 'soft' blocks - as in like dirt, gravel, sand, wood/leaves that isn't part of a tree, stuff like that.

Or, a second option - how about if they could only move blocks that are natural, ie not crafted?

Ranger X

N-Bomb said:
Suggestion for Endermen - how about they can only move 'soft' blocks - as in like dirt, gravel, sand, wood/leaves that isn't part of a tree, stuff like that.

Or, a second option - how about if they could only move blocks that are natural, ie not crafted?

The blocks already have a flag "placed by player x" (ok it's probably not the real name lol) so I say they should simply use that like: If a block was placed by a player, they can't pick it up. Otherwise, they can pick up anything. To prevent bad erosion the block they have in game should never be lost.

Ranger X

I dunno but 1.9 will come out in a matter of days now since its already leaked. We'll either have to wait a couple of days or make a double update on Neocraft in a ridiculously short time span. What's worse again is that 1.10 is already confirmed...

Hylian7

Alright, I'm using a Virtual Machine to host a server for me and fellow GAFfer SirIlpalazzo. It is VERY laggy in the 1.9 pre-release, for even me, and I'm playing on the host machine! 1.8 was just fine, and very playable. Am I the only one getting this here?

Emitan

When do you guys play on Neocraft? There's never anyone online.

I've been making a raft to pass the time. I shall ride out the cataclysm on it.

I suggest we get the final save of NeoCraft. Wipe the server, and just put up a temporary 1.8 default map (perhaps creative? :) ) to goof off in while bukkit/mojang gets their shit together. Then just wipe it again and start a new map with the Ark in it whenever all this updating stops. At least that'll sate some people's addictions to play... for now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ranger X said:
I dunno but 1.9 will come out in a matter of days now since its already leaked. We'll either have to wait a couple of days or make a double update on Neocraft in a ridiculously short time span. What's worse again is that 1.10 is already confirmed...

I think we should wait for 1.9 final to release and then create Neocraft 1.9. If we make the server with 1.8 then when we do update it to 1.9 we will end up with messed up biome borders. Plus, 1.9 has snow and shroom biomes in it, not to mention NPC's and the new nether. Sure it may mean we have to wait for bukkit 1.9 but IMHO it's worth the wait at this point.

1.9 is just a better patch than 1.8 to start the new server with.

Emitan

ArtistDude88 said:
I suggest we get the final save of NeoCraft. Wipe the server, and just put up a temporary 1.8 default map (perhaps creative? :) ) to goof off in while bukkit/mojang gets their shit together. Then just wipe it again and start a new map with the Ark in it whenever all this updating stops. At least that'll sate some people's addictions to play... for now.
I agree. It's really hard to play on the current server because there's stuff everywhere and I've never even been on the server at the same time as other people so I don't know what's okay for me to do.

Grinchy

Banned
alanias said:
I really Wish Notch created some easy way of carrying over a character from world to worl ala Terraria. This new world thing wouldn't be nearly as painful if you didn't have to start from scratch each time.
What I might do is use a program called "invedit" to just give my new character the stuff I have from my old world. It's actually a really easy program to use. I just don't know, though. I have put a ton of time into my 1.8 world so far. Starting over again after all the time I spent on minecart tracks and terraforming, ect. I guess that's the name of the game, but I was hoping 1.8 and 1.9 would play a little nicer when it came to new land generation.

bengraven

Mengy said:
I think we should wait for 1.9 final to release and then create Neocraft 1.9. If we make the server with 1.8 then when we do update it to 1.9 we will end up with messed up biome borders. Plus, 1.9 has snow and shroom biomes in it, not to mention NPC's and the new nether. Sure it may mean we have to wait for bukkit 1.9 but IMHO it's worth the wait at this point.

1.9 is just a better patch than 1.8 to start the new server with.

This.

I would rather we wait. We can survive for now.

Mik2121

Why don't we just get 1.9 leaked and up on the server and just play creative until bukkit releases the update and then just go to survival? That way we can plan new buildings all together and have others suggest, and help each other out, etc..

As for 1.10... we don't even know when is it going to release, but I'd say most likely around the end of October or early November, and by then the actual 'release' will happen and then we can just upgrade to that one skipping 1.10.

rezuth

I really wish Notch would just show some goddamn balls and make a decision which he sticks with. I mean how hard can it fucking be to sit down and think of something, analyze how it works in the game and decide if you want it or not.

rezuth said:
I really wish Notch would just show some goddamn balls and make a decision which he sticks with. I mean how hard can it fucking be to sit down and think of something, analyze how it works in the game and decide if you want it or not.
Pretty hard, actually.

In fact, that way most [good] game design works is that you decide if you want to TRY it (generally not that difficult a decision, but not always easy) and then you implement it specifically to see how it works. Then you get playtesters, and they help convince you one way or the other. Sometimes they will open your eyes to problems you never realized existed.

Grinchy

Banned
lol I'm probably late on this, but wasn't the 1.8 jar file 1.8MB? And the 1.9 jar file is 1.9MB.

If they are doing that on purpose, that's cool.

rezuth said:

Really dude?

Top Bottom