• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Blizzard

Banned
The jumping thing sounds unfortunate. I seem to recall it was laborious to climb up mountains but holding down jump made it more automatic? Now climbing a mountain will give everyone carpal tunnel! ;-;

Mengy said:
But secondly, Notch didn't like what has been termed "endermen erosion". If an enderman picks up a block, then dies without placing it, a block is lost from the game. He wants to keep that type of thing limited to player actions and not mob actions. Creepers are different because they only blow up due to player interactions, where endermen can act independent of the player. If you start a single player world and fly up in the air and park yourself, and then let the game run for week or two, in that time period the landscape below you would be eroded down greatly due to endermen taking blocks and then dying to either rain or sunlight before they could place them again.

Why not just automatically place the block at the space they died? Maybe in close-quarters it might lead to issues with overlapping the player, but generally it shouldn't.

bengraven

Ugh, not to further the bitching, but it really sucks that 1.8 only came out 2 weeks ago and the worlds we created are not completely compatible now.

Sure, I can spawn new areas, but my tiny explored area is now an island with sheer cliffs in the center of a massive ocean.

kodt

Banned
bengraven said:
Ugh, not to further the bitching, but it really sucks that 1.8 only came out 2 weeks ago and the worlds we created are not completely compatible now.

Sure, I can spawn new areas, but my tiny explored area is now an island with sheer cliffs in the center of a massive ocean.

Yeah, I feel like I wasted hours of time only to start over again. I wonder why I even play sometimes. I should just wait until the official release.

They are going to have to do something about future updates though. A full release game can't break all of your old worlds with each patch, it just isn't acceptable.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Just noticed Minecraft uses 100% CPU constantly for me now. Computer I play it on isn't amazing, but it never did that before.

Drazgul

Ranger X said:
Wut?
We will need to press spacebar for all jumps now?? didn't saw that. Probably my brain didn't want to read that. :(

Probably unintentional, like the inability to stack blocks by holding RMB down in 1.8 pre-release.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
bengraven said:

Ah, so the 1.8 worlds don't mesh well with the 1.9 land generation? I'm still at work and can't tell until I get home, but I was afraid of that. Too many biome changes. I wonder if "Mengy's World" will still even have a huge mountain at spawn in 1.9?

kodt said:
Yeah, I feel like I wasted hours of time only to start over again. I wonder why I even play sometimes. I should just wait until the official release.

They are going to have to do something about future updates though. A full release game can't break all of your old worlds with each patch, it just isn't acceptable.

I was thinking along these lines a week ago while I was busy digging out a new mountain base in a brand new world while I had over two dozen double chests full of stuff in my old alpha world. After a bit of debating with myself over it, I realized that, for me anyway, the fun of the game isn't seeing how much crap I can amass, but playing the game. I have more fun spelunking in tunnels, digging ores, building new structures and planning them, in discovering huge underground caverns with waterfalls and lava pools, and in fending off the monsters of the wild, than in counting how many chests of iron bars I have.

I don't fret too much at starting new worlds anymore. Everything I built in the past is still there in those save game files on my PC, and if I want to go see them again it takes a few seconds to do so. Although, after the game is "released" and "finished" I plan on sticking with that world come hell or high water. If he patches the final game regularly with features that break game worlds, well then I expect I'll be getting upset. But while we are in Beta I'm not too concerned with it.

Endermen as they were were just annoying things that took random blocks. They posed no challenge and they did not in any way enhance the survival aspect of the game. I could see the argument if Endermen actually tried to break through to you but they we're just picking up and placing random blocks. They were at most a nuisance.

Treefingers said:
Endermen as they were were just annoying things that took random blocks. They posed no challenge and they did not in any way enhance the survival aspect of the game. I could see the argument if Endermen actually tried to break through to you but they we're just picking up and placing random blocks. They were at most a nuisance.
Exactly. So why nerf them?

Venfayth

Treefingers said:

I agree but I liked that they had a unique mechanic to them. Too bad Notch couldn't think of a way to keep it in and solve the problems related to it.

Togglesworlh said:
Exactly. So why nerf them?

>

Mengy said:
But secondly, Notch didn't like what has been termed "endermen erosion". If an enderman picks up a block, then dies without placing it, a block is lost from the game. He wants to keep that type of thing limited to player actions and not mob actions. Creepers are different because they only blow up due to player interactions, where endermen can act independent of the player. If you start a single player world and fly up in the air and park yourself, and then let the game run for week or two, in that time period the landscape below you would be eroded down greatly due to endermen taking blocks and then dying to either rain or sunlight before they could place them again.

alanias

I really Wish Notch created some easy way of carrying over a character from world to worl ala Terraria. This new world thing wouldn't be nearly as painful if you didn't have to start from scratch each time.

bengraven

I know there are going to be people who say "it's beta, you have to expect these kind of issues and learn to just wipe your world and move on", but:

a) 1.8 was considered a landmark of the game and people were literally going to a convention to get to play this patch...it had the star quality of an expansion pack.

b) it was only 2 weeks ago. We wait for months to play the update, get two weeks building and falling in love with the game again and now boom, 2 weeks down the toilet for a lackluster update.

Mengy said:
Ah, so the 1.8 worlds don't mesh well with the 1.9 land generation? I'm still at work and can't tell until I get home, but I was afraid of that. Too many biome changes. I wonder if "Mengy's World" will still even have a huge mountain at spawn in 1.9?

The area you explored is now on a square island and there's 200 or so blocks of ocean until the next block updates. And the updates assume that the ocean isn't there, so you'll have lava flowing down into the ocean or in my case some swamp water in the middle of the sea and half trees.

It's like the chunk errors we get in SMP, only filled in with water and permanent.

Worst part is, the seeds from 2 weeks ago don't work. I tried to recreate my world of Mount KillamanJarJar, but it's a completely different layout and world now. :(

alanias said:
I really Wish Notch created some easy way of carrying over a character from world to worl ala Terraria. This new world thing wouldn't be nearly as painful if you didn't have to start from scratch each time.

Terraria has a persistant inventory though. In Minecraft we can literally lose everything we have in a matter of seconds due to enemies or mistakes.

Because of this, every character is a blank slate.

bathala said:
augh.

I have to start a new world for 1.9

I'm not. I'm just INVediting myself a ton of cobble and building bridges to the new areas.

Jasoco

Banned
Wow, 1.9 is so cool. The snowmen are awesome. How long do they take to melt though? I made one in the desert and it didn't disappear. But I didn't have time to stand around. What biomes do they not melt in? Do we know yet?

Went in the Nether but didn't see any structures yet.

And could not find a mushroom biome.

Also, please fix how villages are created, guys! Broken pathways are going to make it impossible for NPC's to get around. They're still forming on hilly areas with no stairs. The game should place paths first, place buildings second removing any ground in the way. There should never be a broken path at all. If anything place stairs but don't just plop the gravel at the highest block. Hopefully they get that working right by the final release, or 1.10.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Jesus, now 1.9 "leaked."

Notch has gone into overdrive.

Pancakes said:
Jesus, now 1.9 "leaked."

Notch has gone into overdrive.
With 1.10 soon to follow. Ah how I missed the old days of semi-frequent updates. Tis bliss, I only hope it lasts up to and after the official release

Ideally, endermen would still be able to move blocks on hard or something.

Damnit people. This game desperately needs more layers of gameplay. Having to occasionally "maintain" your structures by performing THE INTENSE AND ARDUOUS TASK OF PLACING ONE OR MAYBE EVEN *TWO* BLOCKS adds a tiny little extra element to the gameplay, and this game needs all it can get. It may be one of my favorite games of all time but it does get booooring after so long.

I hate you all. Endermen were super easy to kill and posed very little threat originally, but the block moving was neat. Now they are an entirely useless addition to the game.

Ashodin

CrunchyFrog said:
With 1.10 soon to follow. Ah how I missed the old days of semi-frequent updates. Tis bliss, I only hope it lasts up to and after the official release
I missed that shit too dude!

It feels good man.

Also they officially stated you have to press spacebar every time now, noobs.

Mengy

Son of a Bitch. My awesome map seed for 1.8, which generated this awesome huge mountain, which was centered on the meeting point of four different biomes and had two awesome ravines close by...

2011-09-11_070959.png

...has now become this little island in the middle of nowhere for 1.9...

2011-09-22_164556.png

I am Jack's lack of enthusiasm. Time to go seed hunting...

Mengy said:
Son of a Bitch. My awesome map seed for 1.8, which generated this awesome huge mountain, which was centered on the meeting point of four different biomes and had two awesome ravines close by...

2011-09-11_070959.png

/QUOTE]

Man, that would have been PERFECT for the new server. We park the Ark inside, and build into the inside of the walls. So sad, man.

Mik2121

Park the Ark OUTSIDE and built an awesome city inside with some underwater tunnels that go from the inside to the outside area.

(god, it's 5am and I can't help but check gaf on my ipod touch... ugh..)

limlark

That's odd. The 1.8 seed I used created the same world in 1.9 pre, at least as far as I can tell. There are villagers, but otherwise it's the same. Maybe because I haven't deleted the 1.8 version?

Mengy

limlark said:
That's odd. The 1.8 seed I used created the same world in 1.9 pre, at least as far as I can tell. There are villagers, but otherwise it's the same. Maybe because I haven't deleted the 1.8 version?

Yeah, after exploring the 1.9 seed a bit I'm seeing areas that are exactly the same as my 1.8 seed, but my mountain is gone and some areas are very different. Interesting to see the generation code in action. Though I miss my mountain...:(

Nope, skeleton riders have been in for ageeees, you just don't see them very often.

Welp, my 1.8 home is now in the middle of a fugly brown swamp and the seed no longer produces the same world - if you're looking for a snow biome though it works out, try 'Caspian'.

Ark said:
Multiplay have uploaded 1.8.1, so I'll make the final backup tomorrow, then people can blow shit up :)

Excellent! Screw 1.9, I'm going back to 1.8.1 so I can blow up NeoCraft!

Top Bottom