• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

bengraven

Ranger X said:
+1

I am enjoying some single player meanwhile and familiarising with the new stuff anyways.

Yep and with 1.9's final release just days away, I would rather not have to go through all the drama of waiting on Bukkit mods, etc.

Something I would like to see is the ability to build your own village and attract your own villagers, as seen in Terraria. It seems silly to me that you have to generate a new chunk to see villagers. X:

bathala

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Something I would like to see is the ability to build your own village and attract your own villagers, as seen in Terraria. It seems silly to me that you have to generate a new chunk to see villagers. X:
Yeah
I think this will also fix the weird door on a second floor by the generator

Create bed and table for villagers to come

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
After trying a few different seeds tonight I've finally picked one to stick with. It has me starting out on a medium size island surrounded by water for as far as I can see.

2011-09-22_201347.png

The island is covered by trees and has a real nice sized ravine at the one end. It's a deep Y-shaped ravine with a few waterfalls into it.

2011-09-22_201414.png

So I punch a few trees and make a good sized cave home along the shoreline. It is a pre existing cave, I just sealed it up with cobble walls and a few doors. So during the night I start digging down from within my cave and I don't get but a few blocks down before I tunnel into this monster of a cave hole:

2011-09-22_234715.png

2011-09-23_000142.png

It goes down farther than I can see from up here, seems to be filled with lots of mobs, and has several waterfalls into it. Time to start stair-casing my way down and see just how deep this monstrosity is...

celebi23

bengraven said:
This.

I would rather we wait. We can survive for now.
I'm all for waiting a few more days. This way, we won't have to restart for 1.9. Hell, 1.9 has some pretty awesome stuff (like the winter biome being back, red flowers are back, the new mobs, the nether additions, etc). Let's just wait for the new patch.

Mik2121

Looks like a great place, Mengy. I will start creating new seeds now and see if I can find a neat place, then I'll stick to it until 1.10 (hopefully it blends nicely with 1.10 terrain so I don't need to create a new one again).

Grinchy

Banned
Well I went to the edge of the map in my 1.8 world, and it seems like there is no problem with generating the new biomes outside of where I've explored so far. I will check the other sides, but this may work out really well. I will make a minecart track to take me from 1.8 land to 1.9 land. It's really not that far of a distance if I can find a couple stacks of iron.

Still can't find a snow biome though :(

BJ9Az.jpg

Qwomo

Mengy said:
After trying a few different seeds tonight I've finally picked one to stick with. It has me starting out on a medium size island surrounded by water for as far as I can see.

The island is covered by trees and has a real nice sized ravine at the one end. It's a deep Y-shaped ravine with a few waterfalls into it.

So I punch a few trees and make a good sized cave home along the shoreline. It is a pre existing cave, I just sealed it up with cobble walls and a few doors. So during the night I start digging down from within my cave and I don't get but a few blocks down before I tunnel into this monster of a cave hole:

It goes down farther than I can see from up here, seems to be filled with lots of mobs, and has several waterfalls into it. Time to start stair-casing my way down and see just how deep this monstrosity is...
What seed is this?!?!?

Articalys

Enco said:
I don't get why there's even a score.

I mean, it's completely useless.
Relic from a very old game mode.
I imagine the reason the display is still there on death is because it doesn't impact gameplay in any way and makes an amusing easter egg for people who have been playing since the beginning.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally found a snow biome in my world after generating new terrain. It took hours to make a minecart track to take me there (around 1500 pieces of rail).

Mengy

Qwomo said:
What seed is this?!?!?

The seed is "Mengys World", typed just like that but without the quotes. I didn't like how Mengy's World generated in 1.9 so I removed the apostrophe and got this island spawn point. I also tried a few other seed names but this is my favorite one so far. It seemed like alot of the seeds I tried started in a swamp, and I really don't want to start in a swamp, lol.

Haunted

Grinchy said:
Not sure why they'd change this. Maybe just because of the new hardcore mode?

I mean...lava is fucking lava. It's not like it's something that aloe lotion can fix.
Don't be such a wuss. A bit of spit and a good rubbing and your lava-covered skin's as good as new!

Next up: nerfing the fall damage.

Mengy

gutabo said:

WOAH. Now that's interesting! I may have just found my new preferred way to play Minecraft.

However, I wish hardcore mode would be implemented a bit differently. Instead of deleting the world upon death, the world should subsequently only be playable in ghost mode, where the world can still be played but the player can only fly around looking at things in like a God mode. The world can not be altered in any way, nothing more can be built or changed, and no blocks can be altered any more. Mobs wouldn't even see you or attack you, and the player would be able to even fly through walls and solid surfaces (since they can't open doors this would be necessary). This way you could still visit a world full of impressive things you had built and even visit the place of your death, but the world would be forever locked and done with for playing in. THAT would be awesome....

gutabo

Mengy said:
WOAH. Now that's interesting! I may have just found my new preferred way to play Minecraft.

However, I wish hardcore mode would be implemented a bit differently. Instead of deleting the world upon death, the world should subsequently only be playable in ghost mode, where the world can still be played but the player can only fly around looking at things in like a God mode. The world can not be altered in any way, nothing more can be built or changed, and no blocks can be altered any more. Mobs wouldn't even see you or attack you, and the player would be able to even fly through walls and solid surfaces (since they can't open doors this would be necessary). This way you could still visit a world full of impressive things you had built and even visit the place of your death, but the world would be forever locked and done with for playing in. THAT would be awesome....
It's a joke for now but Notch loves roguelikes soooo...

Mik2121

Man.. are the beds broken for anyone else...? Since 1.8 every time I build a small house with a bed on it, when I try to sleep I always get hit by a skeleton or something so I can't sleep. I've tried perfectly sealing my house with outer walls, having the bed FLOATING in the middle of the room, have lights all around.. and nothing. Every time some skeleton will somehow get inside my room and hit me. Ughh...

Enco

Articalys said:
Relic from a very old game mode.
I imagine the reason the display is still there on death is because it doesn't impact gameplay in any way and makes an amusing easter egg for people who have been playing since the beginning.
That sounds more fun than the game is now.

Instead if making lava weaker, they should just make it beatable. Much more fun. Like craftable, lava-proof armor made of Ghast skin. Don't ruin the challenge by making it easier. Just make it an obstacle.

Mengy said:
SWEET! Good list of changes:

•Mushroom Biome! purple tinted grass and large mushrooms growing

Nooo .. I escaped WoW back in January. I don't want Zangarmarsh following me to other games!

•Water and Lava leak through adjacent blocks.

Yeah I noticed this earlier when I loaded a Creative world I'd been using to experiment with lava/glass ceiling lighting. Needless to say, the effect of the lava leaking through the glass ruins the whole thing. Oh well, things like this are the reason I've stopped playing properly until 1.10 is released, so no big deal really.

Blizzard said:
The jumping thing sounds unfortunate. I seem to recall it was laborious to climb up mountains but holding down jump made it more automatic? Now climbing a mountain will give everyone carpal tunnel! ;-;

Eh? Hang on, you mean I've been playing this game since alpha and bashing space to jump each time, when I could have just held it down and jumped automatically!? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!

Edit: @Mik2121 - My bed's working fine, but it's currently in the middle of an ocean with no land mass in site.

Grinchy

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Man.. are the beds broken for anyone else...? Since 1.8 every time I build a small house with a bed on it, when I try to sleep I always get hit by a skeleton or something so I can't sleep. I've tried perfectly sealing my house with outer walls, having the bed FLOATING in the middle of the room, have lights all around.. and nothing. Every time some skeleton will somehow get inside my room and hit me. Ughh...
I think I found that if my bed was touching a wall, I would have mobs spawn over me. That all just sounds crazy.

Maybe sleep somewhere else and then retry?

bengraven

Barberetti said:
Nooo .. I escaped WoW back in January. I don't want Zangarmarsh following me to other games!

Oh god, we need a Mushroom Town in NeoCraft now.

I've already got plans for Thieves Landing in the swamp areas, whether I make it alone or not.

Zomba13

I had a go messing with pistons/red stone earlier and I sort of understand that stuff now.

Hoping to make a drawbridge and or door thing for my eventual castle now I understand the basics.

bengraven said:
Oh god, we need a Mushroom Town in NeoCraft now.

I've already got plans for Thieves Landing in the swamp areas, whether I make it alone or not.

Heh, I've been toying with the idea of building Howling Fjord as it happens.

Mengy

bengraven said:
Oh god, we need a Mushroom Town in NeoCraft now..

A Neocraft Smurf village!!! Actually with colored wools as building materials that could be a very creative kind of project. Think like a Minecraft version of a technicolor Booty Bay surrounded by giant mushrooms like in Zangarmarsh in WoW. Flowers and fountains everywhere, even some of the giant mushrooms could have pools of water on top of them that cascade down the sides to the ground.

It could be called Groovy Bay! LOL

Zona

Grinchy said:
Yeah, the Nether shouldn't be a dangerous place to be. /sarcarsm

I dunno, this just sounds kinda lame. I don't usually care about changes, either. I typically assume they know what they are doing and I should just follow along, but this seems like a dumb change.

Well think of it this way, before 1.8 you had a chance of surviving contact with lava if you had enough food. The changes to how you regained health in 1.8 meant that contact with lava was now a guaranteed death (Assuming a lack of water). What there doing by nerfing fire affects isn’t making it so lava and fire Cant kill you, but rather making it so you have a chance at living.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Acullis said:
Can you make larger nether portals if you increase the size of the frame? Could we make a massive portal to outland in the nether?

Nether portals have to be a specific size. No bigger or smaller

topramen

Ok, new minecraft player (messed around in survival a bit)

I tried joining the gaf survival servers as well as the creative.

I got into the creative, but can't seem to do anything

And I can't join the survival at all

Help mineGAF?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
topramen said:
Ok, new minecraft player (messed around in survival a bit)

I tried joining the gaf survival servers as well as the creative.

I got into the creative, but can't seem to do anything

And I can't join the survival at all

Help mineGAF?

Client and server have to be the same version to connect and the GA servers haven't updated yet.

Mik2121

Hey Ark! Could you just grab the leaked version of the server client for 1.9 and let us play in Creative all together? Right now mostly everybody has updated to 1.8 or 1.9 and not many people is enjoying the server. It would be a great thing to have until the official 1.9 release and the bukkit update.

Acullis said:
:<

I've recreated the above-ground portion of the undercity before. It looked so cool :D Only lacking the green slime.

Well there's murky water in the game now, so who knows, maybe green swamp water will be added at some point. You should have filled it with slimes!

I recreated Quake DM4 one night when I got home from the pub. 5 minutes after finishing it, I fell in the lava :lol

Ark

Mik2121 said:
Hey Ark! Could you just grab the leaked version of the server client for 1.9 and let us play in Creative all together? Right now mostly everybody has updated to 1.8 or 1.9 and not many people is enjoying the server. It would be a great thing to have until the official 1.9 release and the bukkit update.

1.9 apparently makes the server die, so no :)

Top Bottom